2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

Posted (edited)

I'm under the impression that we shouldn't draw conclusions on a player from Clemson when projecting him to a secondary last year that featured Jerrin Thompson, a true freshmen, a white walk on, an often injured transfer that didn't contribute much of anything.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

How do you define, "never excellent" in HS? 

I agree it never translated at Bama, but wasn't he a Top 20 prospect in Texas?

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Certainly not always a 1-to-1 relationship, but they typically don't rate complete JAGs (working in the thread title) as 4-Star, Top 20 prospects.  

Granted I never saw him play in HS, but I remember reading about him on the recruiting board.  But I know he was good enough for Jeff banks to recruit him twice.

Other guys have addressed it, but to be clear, this isn't revisionist history from us regulars on the recruiting board. We didn't give a shit when he originally committed to Bama, other than losing another Texas kid to Bama. He's apparently a high character and team guy who profiles really well for creating/maintaining a positive and resilient locker room. That plus some special teams and goal line contributions made him a take for guys who had been around him in college.

Nonetheless, he's the same guy he's always been - looks a ton better than he plays in terms of being a linebacker.

39 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm not an expert, scout or professional evaluator, but I do watch a fuckton of THSF, especially in the Metroplex, and Blackshire was surrounded by talent that made him look likewise, but he was very jaggy.  I am sorry we wasted a scholarship/NIL on him.  I'd much rather his snaps go to someone with upside, like Burrell, for instance.

To be clear, Blackshire didn't get any kind of big NIL package. We can all be happy to have him on this roster and not worry about opportunity cost for NIL, and, I suspect, playing time as well. Burrell is a transfer risk because Texas is simply loaded at LB, not because someone like Blackshire might get snaps. Burrell has starter potential for good P4 programs, just not this season at Texas. Here's hoping he sticks, though.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm under the impression that we shouldn't draw conclusions on a player from Clemson when projecting him to a secondary last year that featured Jerrin Thompson, a true freshmen, a white walk on, an often injured transfer that didn't contribute much of anything.

I think Mukuba might wind up being one of the sneaky best pickups from the portal in the entire country. He was played in a weird role last year that I never really figured out as to why. He was really good as a freshman and sophomore, if memory serves. Texas playing him at S and not getting cute about it might be a part of taking the defense into the range of elite. 

Also @Doc Sam Beckett for his thoughts on Mukuba.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m under the impression we don’t run dime. The biggest drawback/benefit of slower/faster guy is man coverage. If he’s not great at playing the slot, then his upside is limited even if only slightly.

Last year, we had a problem, particularly with Houston, when they spread us out and got the safety down and into man, they fared well. I’d assumed this was a reason we brought Mukuba on board. Stay with base personnel and have more flexibility against offensive personnel in dropping a safety into the slot.

Well then your question is an even stranger one. He will still be playing safety in 4/5 wr sets just like he would in base. If we bring a safety down to cover, he’s good at playing the slot for a safety. He’s not as good full time as a nickel CB. Those are two very different things. 

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hill already played off ball LB last year, so we’re not moving him. I’m sure he’ll still blitz plenty again this year, but his role isn’t changing. 

You’ve clearly never watched Blackshire play.  Blackshire was slow and couldnt move at 250ish. Now he’s over 260. He would get absolutely murdered by Michigan’s offense, and playing him significant snaps would be monumentally stupid. Blackshire was a culture take. He may get some run in goal line situations, but that’s pretty much it. 

Are you under the impression we don’t play safeties in dime sets? He’ll still be playing safety.  PK very rarely runs true man. He’s almost all quarters/matching, which is perfectly fine for Mukuba at Safety. 

I didnt like the pick up to start with, but I have to assume the coaches saw some role for him. I dont buy the culture angle, Texas is far beyond that at this point. I am going to hope he can fill a limited role that is utilized vs power running teams and short yardage. If that isnt the case, then it is completely mystery as to why they brought him in.  

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I didnt like the pick up to start with, but I have to assume the coaches saw some role for him. I dont buy the culture angle, Texas is far beyond that at this point. I am going to hope he can fill a limited role that is utilized vs power running teams and short yardage. If that isnt the case, then it is completely mystery as to why they brought him in.  

Sounds like Blackshire is Dalton Santos 2.0

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

I don't think there is any real mystery. We lost a high quality veteran to the NFL, we had Anthony Hill, a guy who has never seemed to put it all together in Gbenda, and a couple of redshirt freshmen/sophs with promise but not much experience. They wanted some veteran leadership in the room, and potentially some Gbenda insurance.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It is only a complete mystery because of the way your brain works. You dismiss that absolute reason as to why he was brought in, like right in front of your face, because you've decided that that reason can't exist. It's pretty amusing to witness. I'm not even speculating. They told folks he was a great culture fit. You don't just work and agonize to create a great program culture with high character players and then say "well, okay, we did that. onward and upward to the next challenge. the culture is frozen where we want it."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Blackshire is the same jag today that he was a few years ago.  Meh.

He should have bulked up and played DE or went to a base 3-4 school and played outside linebacker. As long as he/they think he can play in the middle he won’t give us much if anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

i think you hit the nail on the head with why he was brought in

culture angle with a very young LB room makes sense + his situational value - different archtype than anyone else on the roster

image.png.dc2ea43da410cb0a53a1b2d2ac48e0af.png

either way, i'm not worried about the numbers here. raises the floor of the LB room and doesn't hurt anything. it isn't like if someone like Burrell is going to leave because Blackshire is on campus or you miss out on a recruit because of him.

at this point he can likely only help not hurt things, so what's the concern?

I haven’t had a chance to read much of the thread. But I’m really anxious to see how far forward Michael Taaffe leaps this year with some more time under his belt. Anyone else think he’s gonna improve?  

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

I'm not an expert, scout or professional evaluator, but I do watch a fuckton of THSF, especially in the Metroplex, and Blackshire was surrounded by talent that made him look likewise, but he was very jaggy.  I am sorry we wasted a scholarship/NIL on him.  I'd much rather his snaps go to someone with upside, like Burrell, for instance.

Are we sure we even used NIL to get him? He's a jag, so why would we waste money? He may have just wanted a change of scenery and Texas being his home made sense for him. Obviously I'm just guessing, but I am curious if we used NIL for a guy like him. 

25 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I haven’t had a chance to read much of the thread. But I’m really anxious to see how far forward Michael Taaffe leaps this year with some more time under his belt. Anyone else think he’s gonna improve?  

I heard Jett Bush is applying for an extra year of eligibility so he can take Taaffe under his wing and show him how to be the leader of the defense.

• Haha 1

Well then your question is an even stranger one. He will still be playing safety in 4/5 wr sets just like he would in base. If we bring a safety down to cover, he’s good at playing the slot for a safety. He’s not as good full time as a nickel CB. Those are two very different things. 

Ok. For all I know, he sucks at coverage as a slot guy and kicks ass in the run game. I was simply curious if in a specific scenario he’d be an upgrade or not so much. Damn near every team will have issues if a S is isolated 1v1 with a WR. Good for a safety isn’t a solution to that.

We will see how it plays out. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had his best year in whatever capacity that is.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Ok. For all I know, he sucks at coverage as a slot guy and kicks ass in the run game. I was simply curious if in a specific scenario he’d be an upgrade or not so much. Damn near every team will have issues if a S is isolated 1v1 with a WR. Good for a safety isn’t a solution to that.

We will see how it plays out. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had his best year in whatever capacity that is.

He’s a huge upgrade at safety over Jerrin Thompson, Taffe, true freshman Williams, etc. He’s a proven above average P4 Safety. How much more ceiling he has is yet to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So curious

16 hours ago, Codaxx said:

No one is ever "far beyond that," especially not 2024 Texas given historical context and coaching/roster turnover. The staff worked very hard to establish the conditions that allowed for a 12-1 season last year and now several of the players and coaches that made that possible are gone. To think Texas wouldn't invest in a culture guy is a head scratcher.

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:
1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

I'm not seeing anything, anywhere. It's dry as fuck around here.

His post is spot on in context with the source of his quote.

Excerpt from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,

Nor any drop to drink.

• Hook 'Em 3

Practice News & Notes - OTF

Spoiler

Spoke to a couple of sources regarding Tuesday's practice and practice generally over the first seven sessions.

Here are a few notes:

- "Tre Wisner has two speeds -- standing still or full throttle. When he goes, he goes all out on every play." With a quote like that, it's easy to see why Steve Sarkisian praised the sophomore from DeSoto.

- Ryan Wingo has been very good. He's still working on his route running but he is not backing down, he has not hit the freshman wall.

- I asked for the biggest strength of the team, and received an interesting answer.

"It's a talented team - really good talent - but these guys are not allergic to hard work. There's not a bunch of prima donnas running around. They know how to work, and they work hard. Really impressed by that."

- The offensive line rotation continues to be just that, a rotation. Hayden Conner is back at left guard after spending a week as back-up center. But the position is a real battle right now. According to at least one source, Neto Umeozulu's week as a starter showed some stuff in the inside run game that could be a little different.

But do not belittle the experience Conner brings to the unit. The right-side of the offensive line is relatively young and inexperienced whereas the left-side that includes Conner and Kelvin Banks will both be three-year starters.

- Newcomer Tia Savea has been singled out as perhaps the best interior run stopper, at least thus far. "He probably anchors the best."

- Unsurprisingly, tight end Amari Niblack is seeing more run with the 1s and 2s in live action.

- We've mentioned Cedric Baxter's big practice on Friday. Well, more praise for him and running mate Jaydon Blue came this morning. Baxter is said to be using his weight and contact balance better and Blue has actually gained some good weight that has made him a little stronger on contact as well. Of course, Blue's speed continues to be a major asset for the offense.

- Last but not least, two bits of news on Quinn Ewers.

First, he clearly looks and feels more at ease as the QB at Texas and that seems to be translating on the field. That echoes the sentiments from Sark at his presser yesterday. But another piece of intel?

That ease appears to be directly translating into quicker reads. Quicker reads are part of any QB's development, but definitely something identified by scouts as a piece that Ewers wanted to work on this off-season.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

Practice News & Notes - OTF

Hide contents

Spoke to a couple of sources regarding Tuesday's practice and practice generally over the first seven sessions.

Here are a few notes:

- "Tre Wisner has two speeds -- standing still or full throttle. When he goes, he goes all out on every play." With a quote like that, it's easy to see why Steve Sarkisian praised the sophomore from DeSoto.

- Ryan Wingo has been very good. He's still working on his route running but he is not backing down, he has not hit the freshman wall.

- I asked for the biggest strength of the team, and received an interesting answer.

"It's a talented team - really good talent - but these guys are not allergic to hard work. There's not a bunch of prima donnas running around. They know how to work, and they work hard. Really impressed by that."

- The offensive line rotation continues to be just that, a rotation. Hayden Conner is back at left guard after spending a week as back-up center. But the position is a real battle right now. According to at least one source, Neto Umeozulu's week as a starter showed some stuff in the inside run game that could be a little different.

But do not belittle the experience Conner brings to the unit. The right-side of the offensive line is relatively young and inexperienced whereas the left-side that includes Conner and Kelvin Banks will both be three-year starters.

- Newcomer Tia Savea has been singled out as perhaps the best interior run stopper, at least thus far. "He probably anchors the best."

- Unsurprisingly, tight end Amari Niblack is seeing more run with the 1s and 2s in live action.

- We've mentioned Cedric Baxter's big practice on Friday. Well, more praise for him and running mate Jaydon Blue came this morning. Baxter is said to be using his weight and contact balance better and Blue has actually gained some good weight that has made him a little stronger on contact as well. Of course, Blue's speed continues to be a major asset for the offense.

- Last but not least, two bits of news on Quinn Ewers.

First, he clearly looks and feels more at ease as the QB at Texas and that seems to be translating on the field. That echoes the sentiments from Sark at his presser yesterday. But another piece of intel?

That ease appears to be directly translating into quicker reads. Quicker reads are part of any QB's development, but definitely something identified by scouts as a piece that Ewers wanted to work on this off-season.

The Hayden Conner news is irritating. Umeozulu is a clear upgrade. Let the charade of a battle end. I am sick and fucking tired of watching Conner flat out miss guys on critical downs.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Hayden Conner news is irritating. Umeozulu is a clear upgrade. Let the charade of a battle end. I am sick and fucking tired of watching Conner flat out miss guys on critical downs.

Think there is some placating going on, so we don’t lose any of these guys post-spring?

I wonder if Conner has made any strides working at center. He was pretty bad the last time he had to step in for Majors.

Savea being the best anchor isn't really surprising, but a little disappointing. Would be nice to see some of the younger guys come along in that regard. Hopefully, we can snag another portal prospect or two.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Think there is some placating going on, so we don’t lose any of these guys post-spring?

I'm hoping that, yeah, it's just good management that they probably discussed with him before the spring or before they moved him for snaps at C. 

I will be surprised if some of us don't start hearing about who is likely to be portaling from different position groups. I'm assuming 2-3 OL, 1 WR, 1 TB, 1 TE, 1-2 Edge, 1 LB, 2-3 DBs, 1 K. I'm sure not all of those will come to fruition, but none of those moves would surprise me. More than that somewhere would surprise me. I'm guessing another 2-3 portal additions as well. Should wind up around 83-85 scholarship players. Likely a little pain from the exits, particularly potentially at OL and LB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why so much bile vented on Taafe, Haines, and Gideon? Is it because they are all white? That’s some pathetic bitching.

These guys made good plays and bad, just like everyone else. They were the starters for a reason - the alternatives sucked. It’s the JAGs below them on the depth chart that should be the focus of your scorn.

Wait one.

I forgot this was Surly.

Carry on.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

Why so much bile vented on Taafe, Haines, and Gideon? Is it because they are all white? That’s some pathetic bitching.

These guys made good plays and bad, just like everyone else. They were the starters for a reason - the alternatives sucked. It’s the JAGs below them on the depth chart that should be the focus of your scorn.

Wait one.

I forgot this was Surly.

Carry on.

dd4fae68-5959-4e75-b69d-c6e5f3824a01_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Agree with this. Conner could step in at either G or T in a pinch, so he’s very valuable for creating depth on the OL. Having said that, it would be severely disappointed if he’s starting. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

No one is ever "far beyond that," especially not 2024 Texas given historical context and coaching/roster turnover. The staff worked very hard to establish the conditions that allowed for a 12-1 season last year and now several of the players and coaches that made that possible are gone. To think Texas wouldn't invest in a culture guy is a head scratcher.

You would hope so, if you are a team looking to compete for a title in the coaches 4th year. Just cant imagine Sark saying I need to bring in a guy to babysit the LBs, even if I dont think he will add much on the field. LB isnt a deep spot and that could be a huge problem with injuries. It assumes that there were no options in the portal that brought leadership and solid ILB play. 

Edited by Codaxx

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You would hope so, if you are a team looking to compete for a title in the coaches 4th year. Just cant imagine Sark saying I need to bring in a guy to babysit the LBs, even if I dont think he will add much on the field. LB isnt a deep spot and that could be a huge problem with injuries. It assumes that there were no options in the portal that brought leadership and solid ILB play. 

There's no doubt that the staff prefers to bring guys in from Bama. I assume it is bringing in the known and familiar rather than the unknown and unfamiliar.

I wonder if Conner has made any strides working at center. He was pretty bad the last time he had to step in for Majors.
Savea being the best anchor isn't really surprising, but a little disappointing. Would be nice to see some of the younger guys come along in that regard. Hopefully, we can snag another portal prospect or two.

When did he step in for Majors previously?

53 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

Wait one.

I forgot this was Surly.

Carry on.

Gideon and Haines sucked. Taafe gives people flashbacks because he's white. That's a simple and legitimate psychological thing that many idiots can't fathom being reasonable and therefore get themselves into a twist over. The human brain primitively seeks analogs when comparing a current item/situation/person/group. 

Mykelle Thompson (I don't care about his NFL career), BJ Foster, and Jerrin Thompson all were mediocre at Texas at S and all get run over regularly on this board. They are all black. I think this place is an equal opportunity ridiculer. 

Now, as to the "they were the starters for a reason" premise, the only player with a valid reason for being a starter, who has only been a starter in a limited manner, is Taafe. Gideon had better players behind and around him, and the coaching staff was idiotic in playing him as their teacher's pet. Haines was objectively so bad that whoever was behind him should have been getting looks. 

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Only you are taking a POV on Blackshire that he needs to "babysit" the LB room, and that that is a waste of a roster spot for one cycle. That's your own whining idiocy because in your mind, while playing EA Sports NCAA Football 2024, you convinced yourself that he'd be a great plug and play solution at MLB for rush-oriented teams.

Bringing a guy in that is a known quantity to the staff, who is mature and positive and supportive with coaches and team members, and who can contribute in a limited scope on defense and more than that on special teams, is a perfectly fine portal addition as one of the last guys on the roster. BTW, also while costing the program virtually nothing in NIL.

What the fuck is going on here? How is this even debatably a bad thing worth worrying about in multiple posts?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, BERT said:

Does anybody else just skim through this thread looking for a CTJ post where he's shitting all over someone and then think "glad i didn't read that shit"? 

It’s my go to.  Most posts are liquid hot diarrhea and then a chastising evisceration at his hands which usually causes a good chortle.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gideon and Haines sucked. Taafe gives people flashbacks because he's white. That's a simple and legitimate psychological thing that many idiots can't fathom being reasonable and therefore get themselves into a twist over. The human brain primitively seeks analogs when comparing a current item/situation/person/group. 

Mykelle Thompson (I don't care about his NFL career), BJ Foster, and Jerrin Thompson all were mediocre at Texas at S and all get run over regularly on this board. They are all black. I think this place is an equal opportunity ridiculer. 

Now, as to the "they were the starters for a reason" premise, the only player with a valid reason for being a starter, who has only been a starter in a limited manner, is Taafe. Gideon had better players behind and around him, and the coaching staff was idiotic in playing him as their teacher's pet. Haines was objectively so bad that whoever was behind him should have been getting looks. 

Only you are taking a POV on Blackshire that he needs to "babysit" the LB room, and that that is a waste of a roster spot for one cycle. That's your own whining idiocy because in your mind, while playing EA Sports NCAA Football 2024, you convinced yourself that he'd be a great plug and play solution at MLB for rush-oriented teams.

Bringing a guy in that is a known quantity to the staff, who is mature and positive and supportive with coaches and team members, and who can contribute in a limited scope on defense and more than that on special teams, is a perfectly fine portal addition as one of the last guys on the roster. BTW, also while costing the program virtually nothing in NIL.

What the fuck is going on here? How is this even debatably a bad thing worth worrying about in multiple posts?

This is just you making wild ass assumptions. At no time did I say he was a great addition vs the run oriented teams. It was the only reason I could come up with for the staff to bring him in. He is different body type, than the rest of the room. Texas is not loaded with great run stuffing LBs, you could argue there isnt a single one. You would hope the staff thought Blackshire could be a solid C gap to C gap old-school LB, whose fit would be in clear run situations.. Babysit comment was to the comments that he is brought in for the sole purpose of providing leadership to the room and he is not capable in any facet of LB play. That something I could see in the first few years of building a program. Imagine if that was the strategy at WR this year or any other position. 

7 minutes ago, BERT said:

Does anybody else just skim through this thread looking for a CTJ post where he's shitting all over someone and then think "glad i didn't read that shit"? 

If I didn't like reading all "that shit" I wouldn't be on Surly. That's like 90% of the content.

I mean, I'm a pretty big regard in that sense but I always assumed everyone else here is too.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is just you making wild ass assumptions. At no time did I say he was a great addition vs the run oriented teams. It was the only reason I could come up with for the staff to bring him in. He is different body type, than the rest of the room. Texas is not loaded with great run stuffing LBs, you could argue there isnt a single one. You would hope the staff thought Blackshire could be a solid C gap to C gap old-school LB, whose fit would be in clear run situations.. Babysit comment was to the comments that he is brought in for the sole purpose of providing leadership to the room and he is not capable in any facet of LB play. That something I could see in the first few years of building a program. Imagine if that was the strategy at WR this year or any other position. 

Listen, I understand your condition and don't like picking on you about this kind of behavior, but come on, man. You cannot be this literal when considering the fluidity and strategic requirements of roster management. Black and white certainties, the kind of way Tom Herman thought about such matters, get managers in trouble. They limit their own ceilings or get peter principled into clear failure and get fired. No one is literally arguing that Blackshire is at Texas solely to mange other LBs. Get a grip.

As to the old school Mike desires, good luck with it. That wouldn't suit Texas' needs in 2024 and that is true for most/all other P4s and Notre Dame. If I have to choose in terms of giving a scholarship to a kickoff specialist or a situational Mike, I am taking the kickoff guy. Michigan's TEs and TBs would go for 300+ yards against the Texas defense with a MLB standing flat footed on the 50. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, I understand your condition and don't like picking on you about this kind of behavior, but come on, man. You cannot be this literal when considering the fluidity and strategic requirements of roster management. Black and white certainties, the kind of way Tom Herman thought about such matters, get managers in trouble. They limit their own ceilings or get peter principled into clear failure and get fired. No one is literally arguing that Blackshire is at Texas solely to mange other LBs. Get a grip.

As to the old school Mike desires, good luck with it. That wouldn't suit Texas' needs in 2024 and that is true for most/all other P4s and Notre Dame. If I have to choose in terms of giving a scholarship to a kickoff specialist or a situational Mike, I am taking the kickoff guy. Michigan's TEs and TBs would go for 300+ yards against the Texas defense with a MLB standing flat footed on the 50. 

Correct, Old school Mike is not very useful for many games today. There are always exceptions. Multiple comments about Blackshire being too slow. If people dont think he is a useful addition to the LB room vs power Run-centric programs, than what value does he bring on the field? That also puts a serious question to his value on coverage teams. All I have seen is posters saying what he can not do on the field and pumping up the leadership angle. Perhaps my reading of comments would change, if anyone posted what they thought he could add to the field.  

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Hopefully Sydir can pull his head out of his ass soon, but I'm not holding out much hope.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Just want to give you some Kudos for your behavior in responses over at the OTF boards @closetojumping

was expecting you to jump down on some of those posters...

I get enough action from this board for that. The guru boards are oriented around the gurus. The posters on those boards are super sensitive if you take them to task. They wind up complaining to the gurus, almost like they're mad for being called out in front of them or something. No win situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

But do not belittle the experience Conner brings to the unit.

Pretty sure people belittle the effectiveness of that "experience" and correctly lament the fact he has experience.

For all Flood's recruiting accomplishments, watching him march Conner and Hutson out there over the last two years has been puzzling. Cam, Neto, and Campbell seemingly can stand in place and be more effective. It's not like Conner/Hutson have shown some mastery in understanding their assignments either.

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

Pretty sure people belittle the effectiveness of that "experience" and correctly lament the fact he has experience.

For all Flood's recruiting accomplishments, watching him march Conner and Hutson out there over the last two years has been puzzling. Cam, Neto, and Campbell seemingly can stand in place and be more effective. It's not like Conner/Hutson have shown some mastery in understanding their assignments either.

Thing about Flood is that he's got skins on the wall for development, too, not just recruiting. Though it did still take some NIL help to jump start that, after a decade and a half of mediocrity. We've had guys who were good at one or the other (or neither) but not both since... I don't even remember when.

But I figure nobody's perfect, and chalk this up to that. I can't see practices, so I don't know what's going on with the other players, if there's a blind spot here or what.

Truth is, we haven't had the depth to do much if an OL was underperforming; the guys behind the guys were invariably worse. We should have depth now, but OL still have to develop. It's the second-hardest position on the field to learn other than QB.

tldr: I don't think we've got anyone better, yet. But we should, soon, though maybe not this year.

• Hook 'Em 1