Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s so weird how the same psychotic idiots keep showing up in DT threads, spouting conspiracy theories, get roundly rejected and mocked, and then show up again in similar threads. Fuck you internet, fuck you. 

They have a promising future in elected office

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s so weird how the same psychotic idiots keep showing up in DT threads, spouting conspiracy theories, get roundly rejected and mocked, and then show up again in similar threads. Fuck you internet, fuck you. 

Boat carshes hitting close to home now

Chinese cyber attacks zeroing in on aggy (the real super power in America)

everyone at TAMUG are stuck unless they gotta boat ride

image.thumb.png.eda20e289e1e5700dc56a3c3a64a288d.png

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/f23jheC7Vk58X1J8/?mibextid=K35XfP

12 hours ago, Zeus said:

There's someone, somewhere, with a mullet and a trailer-adjacent proximity saying to himself, I can make that shit fit in my leased Dodge TRX

55,626-hp (41,480-kW) diesel engine manufactured by Hyundai

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

"Terrorists from tu destroyed the bridge, cutting off the food supply to those poor, brave, starving Aggies who are left to defend Pelican Island, much like William B Travis and Mike McKinney at the Alamo!"

-The Battalion, 5/16/24

P.S. Send more sheep! 

• Haha 7

Maybe doesn’t need its own thread but it’s national news. My uncle in Canada just texted me asking about oil spill in the river by us lol. 

it’s the bay

but yeah a little more pollution to our little piece of paradise here in Galvatraz island

i dont see a huge amount of oil or anything from the drone

dji_fly_20240515_140102_198_1715799738530_photo_optimized.jpeg

dji_fly_20240515_140108_199_1715799745307_photo_optimized.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Maybe doesn’t need its own thread but it’s national news. My uncle in Canada just texted me asking about oil spill in the river by us lol. 

it’s the bay

but yeah a little more pollution to our little piece of paradise here in Galvatraz island

i dont see a huge amount of oil or anything from the drone

dji_fly_20240515_140102_198_1715799738530_photo_optimized.jpeg

dji_fly_20240515_140108_199_1715799745307_photo_optimized.jpeg

If there’s an oil spill in Galveston can anyone even tell?  The answer is no evidently.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If there’s an oil spill in Galveston can anyone even tell?  The answer is no evidently.  

It's all fun and games until you are picking tar balls off your surfboard and your kids feet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's all fun and games until you are picking tar balls off your surfboard and your kids feet.

Interestingly enough, I grew up going to Galveston-area beaches, and every house had bottles of rubbing alcohol to remove the frequent tar stains.  And over the past 20 years, we grew up taking our kids down to the Texas coast, and when my daughter was maybe 10, she spotted a small spot on her foot -- "what is that?"  Oh, it's a little tar stain.  She freaked, we laughed - told her it was a regular thing when we were kids.

The Oil Pollution Act back in the 70s really DID make a big difference.

Also, I fished more than a time or two at Seawolf Park back in the day.  My daughter hooked a massive black drum on her little Barbie fishing rod setup one time down there.....it was not up to the task.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

There's someone, somewhere, with a mullet and a trailer-adjacent proximity saying to himself, I can make that shit fit in my leased Dodge TRX

An interesting note from the report.  That diesel and single prop/screw apparently are direct drive because it notes that to reverse, the engine must be stopped and restarted.

I'm not a marine engineer, but stopping and restarting one of those gigantic marine diesels is a non-trivial endeavor.  

Many other vessels use reduction gearing that includes a reverse gear.

I think this means that this vessel effectively had no practical means to reverse itself, or to steer sharply by reversing some engines.  The thruster(s) in the bow may obviate that to some degree, but not completely, and that of course requires pretty much full electrical power.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Interestingly enough, I grew up going to Galveston-area beaches, and every house had bottles of rubbing alcohol to remove the frequent tar stains.  And over the past 20 years, we grew up taking our kids down to the Texas coast, and when my daughter was maybe 10, she spotted a small spot on her foot -- "what is that?"  Oh, it's a little tar stain.  She freaked, we laughed - told her it was a regular thing when we were kids.

The Oil Pollution Act back in the 70s really DID make a big difference.

Also, I fished more than a time or two at Seawolf Park back in the day.  My daughter hooked a massive black drum on her little Barbie fishing rod setup one time down there.....it was not up to the task.

Yeah even when I was a kid in the 90s there was way more out there, always finding chunks on the beach.

I found a few after that deepwater horizon spill but not really bad at all.

Haven't had too much bad shit in Galveston in quite a while, not even another big seaweed die off like we had a few years ago that caught up a bunch of little fish that died and stunk up the beach. 

75746_052314-ktrk-5pm-seaweed-vid.jpg

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

An interesting note from the report.  That diesel and single prop/screw apparently are direct drive because it notes that to reverse, the engine must be stopped and restarted.

I'm not a marine engineer, but stopping and restarting one of those gigantic marine diesels is a non-trivial endeavor.  

Many other vessels use reduction gearing that includes a reverse gear.

I think this means that this vessel effectively had no practical means to reverse itself, or to steer sharply by reversing some engines.  The thruster(s) in the bow may obviate that to some degree, but not completely, and that of course requires pretty much full electrical power.

I guess the anchor drop brake needed manual release or power as well and even though they started dropping it 2 mins before they hit the bridge it wasn't down and catching or didn't catch enough to stop them. 

All those three-eyed fish are about to grow a fourth eye. 

I rag on Galveston a lot but I will point out that even early Spanish explorers would find tarballs because of the naturally occurring oil in the area.  In theory, Galveston's water is actually semi-okay but good Lord. I can't even imagine what's in the ship Channel

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...