Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

TL;DR, but I assume that means it was antifa?

Antifa, using DEI, to divide us at the Mason Dixon line, causing social collapse, so we will beg Bill Gates to implant microchips in us.

DUH. DO THE RESEARCH.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Rio Grande Gorge bridge near Taos: 

(walked across this one)

maxresdefault.jpg

We've driven across it a few times.  Here's a pic from 2008 (not quite as nice as yours) from the side of the road just after crossing.

image.thumb.png.8153689a82881602e654258ce7d0dd3c.png

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Sounds like moneyed interests took a calculated risk at the public's expense to get that unseaworthy ship out to sea sooner than it was ready to sail. That's DEI!

So, similar to Exxon Valdez, keep the product flowing.

The interesting thing would be who knew about the previous failures. They are required to report these mechanical failure incidents, which would mean the regulatory authorities would make the decision if current conditions were satisfactory to enter the port.

13 hours ago, texasdago said:

SIAP

The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker. 

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash. 

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.' 

Link to garbage bloated site - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246079/Dali-cargo-ship-suffered-severe-electrical-problem-docked-Baltimore-days-prior-bridge-collapse-crash-saw-suffer-total-power-failure-loss-engine-failure-port-worker-says.html

Wonder if that would be grounds for their insurance to deny coverage?  Company fucked either way probably 

5 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

We've driven across it a few times.  Here's a pic from 2008 (not quite as nice as yours) from the side of the road just after crossing.

image.thumb.png.8153689a82881602e654258ce7d0dd3c.png

My niece and nephew asking if they can climb down there

bridge.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wonder if that would be grounds for their insurance to deny coverage?  Company fucked either way probably 

Lol it's insurances job to find a reason to deny coverage. They'll find their reason. The company is absolutely fucked though

19 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I understand.  Its just a bit shocking to feel that when you are stopped no matter the physics/science/engineering/logic behind it.

Same principle with skyscrapers. You have to stop and concentrate, but it's wild when you can feel the sway.

Big ships like that are possibly the worst invention in history.   Destroying marine life, polluting waterways, leading to ugly, industrialized ports, increasing vulnerability of economic systems, satiating Merica's appetite for oil as well as plastic trash goods, and on and on and on.  Just the worst.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Big ships like that are possibly the worst invention in history.   Destroying marine life, polluting waterways, leading to ugly, industrialized ports, increasing vulnerability of economic systems, satiating Merica's appetite for oil as well as plastic trash goods, and on and on and on.  Just the worst.

Counterpoint: cheap Chinese manufactured goods and ripe produce year-round.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Check out the book "The Box" by Marc Levinson.  Everything you stated is true.  What is also true is how the shipping container has has a profound impact on global trade the world economy.  The book dives into the history of shipping, and goes deep into social, economic, and political impacts of how trade has evolved.  It's amazing how the entire global economy changed.  Love 'em or hate 'em, the history about them is wild.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

It always amazes me how some of these bridges got built, especially the older ones like the Brooklyn Bridge, GGB etc... I ended up down a little bit of  an internet rabbit hole reading up on bridge building and the introduction of caissons, which resulted in the accompanying Caisson Disease (decompression sickness). Just figuring shit out as they went. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8682815/

The great bridge by David McCullough is very damn good, goes for just about all his works I’ve read RIP. Such a delightful man

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have noticed that it took a few days, but all the online constitutional law/infectious disease/middle east history scholars have finally finished their PhDs in Naval Architecture/Civil Engineering and are ready to tell us all what really happened. 

Do tell. Is it actually the dead immigrants’ fault/terrorism?

I guess this is DT so I should simmer down?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have noticed that it took a few days, but all the online constitutional law/infectious disease/middle east history scholars have finally finished their PhDs in Naval Architecture/Civil Engineering and are ready to tell us all what really happened. 

Don’t forget their expertise in ballistics and  “as a student of the constitution.”

Is is literally impossible our citizenry is this fucking stupid.  

Edited by YGIFS

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno, seems like fake news.  How could they find the time to work, what with all the raping and criming and drug smuggling they do?

They're a very industrious people.  I mean, even in their laziness, they're exceedingly hard-working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Man, I'm a lunatic poster and all.  But this shit is really starting to fuck with my head.  Not a hard task, granted.  But there's a house at the end of my street, and it's probably one of the ten most valuable homes in our HOA.  And this Russian lives in it.  And I'm talking all week to our guys at our Maryland terminal/domicile about logistical changes they gotta make with the bridge outta commission.  And was speaking with Tom yesterday.  Been with the company in some form or fashion for 55 years.  And it's just a shitshow. 

After Russia invaded Ukraine, this Russian at the end of our street, buys a decked-out Audi Q8 and leaves it parked at the base of his driveway for a week with no movement.  Then after things go sideways, it suddenly disappears and he's back in his Toyota.  Then earlier this month, two separate police vehicles show up to his home as I'm picking my daughter up from the bus stop.  One of the four officers had his hand on his service weapon which gave me great pause.  I learn from a contact in local LEO that the FBI is looking into his 'household situation.'  This week, he's been out of town...I don't keep track.  I only know this because his son shows up on my immediate next-door neighbor's Nest Camera (or whatever you call them).  His son and his friend decided to take a piss in my neighbor's driveway (they've been bothering all the girls on the street lately as some sort of pre-teen act-out phase).  Neighbors are on vacation.  But he  texts and says yeah, they were being weird, took off the shirts and sprayed urine everywhere.  Few hours later, they show up on our driveway to race bikes down it.  Which is fine, lotta kids do it because it's long and has a good pitch.  He scrambles back to his home because there's an Uber pulling up and the kid screams he's gotta get home to say hello to his dad coming back from a business trip.  And to try to make nice, I was making small talk with the kid as I was pulling weeds so he'd understand we're nice people and to leave my girls alone.  And I politely say, "Alright, well have a good evening.   Where is your dad coming back from?"  And of course, the kid says, "Baltimore."  These people are really starting to piss me off.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Man, I'm a lunatic poster and all.  But this shit is really starting to fuck with my head.  Not a hard task, granted.  But there's a house at the end of my street, and it's probably one of the ten most valuable homes in our HOA.  And this Russian lives in it.  And I'm talking all week to our guys at our Maryland terminal/domicile about logistical changes they gotta make with the bridge outta commission.  And was speaking with Tom yesterday.  Been with the company in some form or fashion for 55 years.  And it's just a shitshow. 

After Russia invaded Ukraine, this Russian at the end of our street, buys a decked-out Audi Q8 and leaves it parked at the base of his driveway for a week with no movement.  Then after things go sideways, it suddenly disappears and he's back in his Toyota.  Then earlier this month, two separate police vehicles show up to his home as I'm picking my daughter up from the bus stop.  One of the four officers had his hand on his service weapon which gave me great pause.  I learn from a contact in local LEO that the FBI is looking into his 'household situation.'  This week, he's been out of town...I don't keep track.  I only know this because his son shows up on my immediate next-door neighbor's Nest Camera (or whatever you call them).  His son and his friend decided to take a piss in my neighbor's driveway (they've been bothering all the girls on the street lately as some sort of pre-teen act-out phase).  Neighbors are on vacation.  But he  texts and says yeah, they were being weird, took off the shirts and sprayed urine everywhere.  Few hours later, they show up on our driveway to race bikes down it.  Which is fine, lotta kids do it because it's long and has a good pitch.  He scrambles back to his home because there's an Uber pulling up and the kid screams he's gotta get home to say hello to his dad coming back from a business trip.  And to try to make nice, I was making small talk with the kid as I was pulling weeds so he'd understand we're nice people and to leave my girls alone.  And I politely say, "Alright, well have a good evening.   Where is your dad coming back from?"  And of course, the kid says, "Baltimore."  These people are really starting to piss me off.  

full

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

and that Dad?  You guessed it....

Screenshot_20240329_162112_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ae1de39bdba30837929e89a171695cdf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sovereign Bridgers?  

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

Ygifs I hope you posted that on nextdoor. You need to let the rest of the neighborhood know there are Russian bridge destroyers living in the area

Yeah, jokes aside.  Guess who my distant neighbor is in business with?  vadim.  Guy picked up by the Feds last month here In Austin for being a Russian asset.  I hope immamac has good hacker security in this site.  Because I really don’t like how this guy and his family are behaving near my kids.  And I haven’t killed anybody since 2019

I made the mistake of visiting the royal gorge bridge from the backside. Had to drive across it - my wife was freaking out. I freak out over heights but never have had issues with bridges

Place was a huge tourist trap as well

4493869a4e54d51ee40f1909b99df0c1.jpg

Windy as a fiddlers bitch too

On 3/28/2024 at 10:26 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

On 3/29/2024 at 6:42 AM, Captainant said:

Lol it's insurances job to find a reason to deny coverage. They'll find their reason. The company is absolutely fucked though

I did an Expert Witness Report regarding business interruption insurance on an offshore drilling rig. They claimed damages for a well that was never drilled. Should have been a slam dunk.

The attorneys said the insurance "people" would never show up to testify. They "earned" ~ $350,000 for the commissions (2005) on the policies and would never do anything to jeopardize their livelihood.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:43 AM, Thetexashammer said:

Same principle with skyscrapers. You have to stop and concentrate, but it's wild when you can feel the sway.

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis can move as much as 18". The slight movements at the top give the appearance of a much larger movement at the bottom, 600 ft below. Looking straight down, you could see the sidewalk underneath the Arch, and then it would disappear, and then it would reappear. And then we were done, and left. The egg shaped tram that toggles back and forth on the way to the top of the Arch is not for the faint of heart.

22 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It took a few days to clear all the reservations at the Holiday Inn.

4 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Windy as a fiddlers bitch too

We walked across on the bridge in February. I weighed 150 lbs dripping wet, wearing a ski parka that caught a lot of wind. Self preservation is strong with me.  Too much good terra firma around not to have it under my feet.

We walked across on the bridge in February. I weighed 150 lbs dripping wet, wearing a ski parka that caught a lot of wind. Self preservation is strong with me.  Too much good terra firma around not to have it under my feet.

Agreed, we walked across it last year, beautiful sunshine day, wind at probably 50 mph sustained they’re like at year that’s a normal day, took my kids back before the halfway point. I’m a big guy and it was significantly pushing me while swaying at the same time, got a bad feeling.

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You should share the Russians address, broken up with special characters so this doesn’t come up in a Google search, of course. Not that anyone on the site might be interested in triggering him with Ukrainian flag magnets or anything like that

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 1:29 PM, YGIFS said:

Do they look like this?

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 8.28.06 PM.png

Edited by Grande Mart
I'm high
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, PTINS said:

I did an Expert Witness Report regarding business interruption insurance on an offshore drilling rig. They claimed damages for a well that was never drilled. Should have been a slam dunk.

The attorneys said the insurance "people" would never show up to testify. They "earned" ~ $350,000 for the commissions (2005) on the policies and would never do anything to jeopardize their livelihood.

You would think that those insurance people not doing the bare minimum to show up at a court proceeding thereby costing their employer millions would also jeopardize their livelihood, but I guess I dont understand the insurance game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If Kerri Russell lived on YGIF’s street, he’d never fucking shut up about it. Nor should he.

I’d rename the hood “Down to Clown in Poundtown”. But now you got your fucking unions and HOA rules.  Come to think of it; I don’t know that I ever seen the dude’s wife.