Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Correct.  

Some of y'all simply don't deserve this team.  Every time I see Astros fans get dragged for being little bitches I get pissed, then read this thread and realize our fans fucking suck.  Of course all fan groups suck when you get down to it.  The Astros can go 0-162 and I'll be disappointed but wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.  They have given me something I wanted my whole life and then got there 3 more times and did it again.  The Rangers spent ungodly amounts of money as did the Dodgers to get where they are right now. 

No front office stays together more than a few years if they are successful.  It could have been the greatest culture on earth and Sig and Stearns would have left.  Luhnow might still be here, and I hate that he's not.  The Astros should have stuck with him like the Red Sox did with Cora.  And if the culture in the office was good they would have.  It wasn't.  It was cut throat and so Crane's hands were tied.  And honestly 80% of you would have done the same thing.  Personally I would have told the commissioner to pound sand.  He has only the authority the owners allow him to have.  

I'm not asking people to pretend like better moves couldn't have been made, of course in hindsight that's true.  But ALL of you thought Abreu was at least the right signing.  Maybe not the best contract, but it was lauded EVERYWHERE, including here.  Same can be said for many of the moves.  Montero was ultimately a below market rate deal and had been outstanding the year before.  Even when they go and get Hader there is whining and bitching for getting the best closer in baseball.  The truth is if the team doesn't go 120-42 and sweep every Playoff series it isn't enough for some of you.  And it's a fucking beating to read.

Bravo.

If this season goes south, clearIng out the bandwagon a little will be a nice silver lining.

But I still think we're still going to win the division.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Bravo.

If this season goes south, clearIng out the bandwagon a little will be a nice silver lining.

I hope we make the playoffs, but the Rangers are the best team in the division, which is why I think they'll win it.

Trade values:

Diaz: multiple Top 100 prospects

Abreu: would have to buy down $30M just to get rid of him 

Altuve: don’t even think about it

Pena: a Top 100 prospect plus a couple org top 10 types

Bregman: at this point it’s probably one org top 10 type; hopefully he turns it around

Tucker: a top 100 prospect plus a couple org top 10 guys, his stock is doen since he started slow

Meyers: an org top 10 and a throw-in

McCormick: 2 org top 10s and a lotto

Alvarez: don’t even think about it

Dubon: 2 org top 30s

Caratini: 1 org top 30 plus a lotto, may have to throw in some money

Kessinger, Singleton: no value

Framber: 1 top 100 type assuming his medicals clear; if he comes back healthy this could increase

Verlander: 2 org top 10 types assuming his medicals clear; if he comes back healthy this could increase, could also increase if Houston covers salary

Javier: 1 top 100 type plus 1 org top 10; could get another org top 10 by adding money

France, Brown, Blanco, Garcia, Urquidy, Martinez: value unknown

McCullers: they’d have to throw in $25M just to get rid of him 

Bielak, Mushinski, Scott, Coleman: one lotto

Montero: one lotto; they’d probably have to throw in some money

Abreu: 3 org top 10 types

Pressly: one org top 10, assuming Houston pays in some money

Hader: Houston could get a big haul but it wild depend on how much money they paid down

If the season is lost and they do rebuild, it will be much quicker than 2011-2014 and if it goes well they should contend again in 2026.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

If the season is lost and they do rebuild, it will be much quicker than 2011-2014 and if it goes well they should contend again in 2026.

I like to overreact to clown show losses as much as the next guy, but we won't really know anything about the season until the break.

This really, really, really sucks, though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

IT'S FUCKING APRIL 11th!

Just now, David Dennison said:

I like to overreact to clown show losses as much as the next guy, but we won't really know anything about the season until the break.

This really, really, really sucks, though.

I don’t think the season is lost.  I’m speculating about if this continues.  It’s damn hard to win 100 games when you start 4-10.  The odds of Houston making the playoffs have gone from like 85% on opening day to like 60% after today’s shitshow.  When that gets down to 40%, it’s time to start talking seriously about the season being lost.

10 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don’t think the season is lost.  I’m speculating about if this continues.  It’s damn hard to win 100 games when you start 4-10.  The odds of Houston making the playoffs have gone from like 85% on opening day to like 60% after today’s shitshow.  When that gets down to 40%, it’s time to start talking seriously about the season being lost.

How do we compare right now to 2020?

…when we couldn’t break lose of .500 for 2 months 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Here's a crazy idea, move Seth Martinez to the starting rotation, and maybe send Hunter back to AAA.

Yeah I don't see why not at this point. Skip the part where the young and/or not ready starter gives up a half dozen or more runs and go straight to the part where Martínez goes 3 innings with little to no damage. 

55 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Tucker: a top 100 prospect plus a couple org top 10 guys, his stock is doen since he started slow

His stock is down based on 14 games?

Edit - didn't mean to be critical, I appreciate the exercise overall.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

That’s a pipe dream. This team is going nowhere.

No that's just a regular 3 putt sunshine pump special ;-)

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Jose’s gonna go out as an astro the same way he came in, isn’t he? (Part of 100+ loss teams)

Circle of 'tuve life kinda like as a human you get born unable to walk, talk, or control your bowels and if you get old enough the same becomes true as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Bravo.

Bandwagon? I have been a fan of this team for 40 years. Those of us criticizing the team are lifelong fans that have stuck by this team through years of shitty to mediocre baseball. That’s why it hurts so damn much that we’re not getting as many WS trophies as we can during this golden era. I am confident that I’ll never see an Astros team as good as 2019 ever again in my lifetime and you can’t convince me otherwise that we should have won the WS series last year if we had a competent manager.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Trade values:

Diaz: multiple Top 100 prospects

Abreu: would have to buy down $30M just to get rid of him 

Altuve: don’t even think about it

Pena: a Top 100 prospect plus a couple org top 10 types

Bregman: at this point it’s probably one org top 10 type; hopefully he turns it around

Meyers: an org top 10 and a throw-in

McCormick: 2 org top 10s and a lotto

Alvarez: don’t even think about it

Dubon: 2 org top 30s

Caratini: 1 org top 30 plus a lotto, may have to throw in some money

Kessinger, Singleton: no value

Framber: 1 top 100 type assuming his medicals clear; if he comes back healthy this could increase

Verlander: 2 org top 10 types assuming his medicals clear; if he comes back healthy this could increase, could also increase if Houston covers salary

Javier: 1 top 100 type plus 1 org top 10; could get another org top 10 by adding money

France, Brown, Blanco, Garcia, Urquidy, Martinez: value unknown

McCullers: they’d have to throw in $25M just to get rid of him 

Bielak, Mushinski, Scott, Coleman: one lotto

Montero: one lotto; they’d probably have to throw in some money

Abreu: 3 org top 10 types

Pressly: one org top 10, assuming Houston pays in some money

Hader: Houston could get a big haul but it wild depend on how much money they paid down

I appreciate the thought behind this, but many of these (IMO) are overvalues rarely seen outside the confines of texags.  Outside of absolute superstars, sure feels like the prospect return on baseball trades is almost always less than anticipated.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Bandwagon? I have been a fan of this team for 40 years. Those of us criticizing the team are lifelong fans that have stuck by this team through years of shitty to mediocre baseball. That’s why it hurts so damn much that we’re not getting as many WS trophies as we can during this golden era. I am confident that I’ll never see an Astros team as good as 2019 ever again in my lifetime and you can’t convince me otherwise that we should have won the WS series last year if we had a competent manager.

Been going to the dome with pops since before I can even remember being there.  Stood in line for hours to get Nolan Ryan to sign his autobiography throwing heat only to have them cut the line off like 4 people ahead of us.  My old man then looks at Nolan and says "Hey man you're his hero" and so Nolan waves me over asks me my name and signs my book. I was always rocking my Astros gear on the beach in St Thomas during the 100+ loss years.  I never expected the 7 straight ALCS run but damn if 2023 (putrid roster management) and 2019 (WTAF) don't sting it would have been sweet to have been sitting there alongside the Yankees dynasty from 1996-2003 (4 WS wins, 6 ALCS wins) instead we are going to be looked upon as 2nd fiddle despite the historic consistency.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Hurts?

Sports?

Really?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Our pitching is so bad they just left him in there. Also, nobody has signed Bauer since I suggested it yesterday.

I mean signing Bauer might make me want to Edward Norton Fight Club myself but at the same time we're so shitty with an entire starting 5 on the IL that I'm not opposed like I normally would.

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

I mean signing Bauer might make me want to Edward Norton Fight Club myself but at the same time we're so shitty with an entire starting 5 on the IL that I'm not opposed like I normally would.

We're not doing the Osuna PR dance again.  No fucking way.  

• Hook 'Em 1