Blastfurnace 2024

This blows man.  I got my last backpacking trip rained out in April, so I was hoping to score something last minute for this weekend.  There are plenty of places available, but Friday night is calling for storms and Saturday the high is fucking 96-98 in central texas.  Fuck everything.

That looks like it sucks.

Actually working on the back table on the back porch.  11 AM and still feels reasonable.  By noon I'll have to turn on the ceiling fan above me but I seem to get a good southern breeze to blow in the backyard and we have lots of shade.  This summer gonna suck, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

If there's a bright side to the current Austin blastfurnace it is that the mornings still feel cool and aren't yet the insanity-inducing "lows" of upper 80s. Doubt that holds over the summer, so enjoy it now.

Bright Side Part 2, Blastfurnace Boogaloo: Next week shows highs back down to the upper 80s, as of now. Even 60s for the lows. 

Damn. Glad I'm gonna be down at the beach for Memorial Day weekend. High of 85 each day through Sunday and there's always a nice steady sea breeze. Gonna be 95+ in town Friday-Monday before we get back down to more normal temps and get some rain chances next week.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2024-05-22/austin-early-heat-hot-temperatures-may-weather

Temperatures in Austin could reach into the triple digits this weekend, according to current forecasts. Since record keeping began in 1898, there have been only six years when the city has hit the hundreds earlier, and Austinites are worried the early heat could be a harbinger of yet another scorching summer.

The pattern bringing heat to the region looks familiar: Meteorologists say a high pressure system or “heat dome” that has been parked over Mexico is pushing up into Texas and colliding with humid air to bring forecasted heat indexes as high as 110 in Austin by Sunday.

Those are similar atmospheric conditions to what the region faced last June, when a heat wave gripped the state, eventually bringing a record-breaking heat index of 118 on June 22.

“It’s kind of a similar setup, but a bit different in that we’re not expecting that intense a temperature,” Emily Heller, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said.

fuck-ned.gif.aff806765e053919bb2461cc3131a839.gif

I plan on spending August with relatives in Mass, and once the national parks empty out after labor day hitting up Montana, Wyoming, Utah again on a National parks trip. Fuck living in satan's asshole. Shit I may try to find an airbnb in colorado for July. I can probably survive June if I know it will be the end of it . 

38 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

JFC, put your fucking pants on Nancy.

Yeah, it is Texas. it gets hot. Are you a roofer? Landscaper? If no, shut up, learn to live in a hot climate, and deal with it. Or move to Colorado.

Yeah, as has been noted here before, it ain't the "hot" that's a problem.  It's the "hotter, for a lot longer" that's a problem.  As just one example, Austin's long-term average number of triple digit days is 15.  The last 30 years?  That's nearly fucking DOUBLED to 29.

I can handle a few 100 degree days, I grew up in a state that had a few 100 degree days.  It's the "two fucking months straight of them, and not just 100 degrees, but 108 every fucking day for long stretches" that fucks us.  Kind of like how I can handle banging my shin against the furniture every once in a while, but would get pissed off if someone wacked me in the shins every fucking day for a month.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, as has been noted here before, it ain't the "hot" that's a problem.  It's the "hotter, for a lot longer" that's a problem.  As just one example, Austin's long-term average number of triple digit days is 15.  The last 30 years?  That's nearly fucking DOUBLED to 29.

I can handle a few 100 degree days, I grew up in a state that had a few 100 degree days.  It's the "two fucking months straight of them, and not just 100 degrees, but 108 every fucking day for long stretches" that fucks us.  Kind of like how I can handle banging my shin against the furniture every once in a while, but would get pissed off if someone wacked me in the shins every fucking day for a month.

Yeah, I get it. But most of the earth is getting hotter. I will tell boy to go for your shins.

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This isn’t the thread for you. 

Yeah, it is. I like to know about the weather. Sorry, but 108 ain't gonna kill you if you know how to deal with it. Drink water/beer. Don't wear a shitty suit. Open windows at night. Use fans.

Tuareg's are laughing at us.

Again, yes it is getting hotter earlier. So we can bitch or deal with it. I will deal with it.

Bunch of Hank Hills on this thread.

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

You do realize this is the Blastfurnace, not Weather Stoicism, thread. Yes??

Yes I do. I also remember going to class during summer on the six pack and it being hot as shit. And friends living in Dorms with no AC.

I will stay out of this thread.

The thing I noticed moving here from the midwest wasn't how hot it gets, it's not all that much worse, but how early in the morning it gets hot and how late in the evening it stays hot.  That's a bit of a beating.

Still beats snow, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The thing I noticed moving here from the midwest wasn't how hot it gets, it's not all that much worse, but how early in the morning it gets hot and how late in the evening it stays hot.  That's a bit of a beating.

Still beats snow, though.

I can shovel snow and put more clothes on.

The heat wasn't a problem before we had kids - we would just veg inside.  With kids comes various activities, sports and otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2

As if I haven't spent thousands of hours on the sidelines of a soccer pitch or a track.

I realize I'm in the minority, but for me, heat >>> cold.  Y'all should move if it bothers you so much.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes I do. I also remember going to class during summer on the six pack and it being hot as shit. And friends living in Dorms with no AC.

Go back and look at the daily high temperatures during those summers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Go back and look at the daily high temperatures during those summers. 

Why? I said it was hotter. But I am fine with the house at 85 or sitting in the river.

Oh, and drink tea. Not iced tea. warm tea. It helps.

Edited by InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

In that same vein, the number of 100-degree days is expected to quadruple by 2036 compared to the 1970s and 1980s, with more 100-degree days expected in cities. The report found that extreme monthly summertime temperature trends imply an increase of about 2 degrees over the past 50 years. 

The coolest days of the summer are also expected to continue getting warmer.

What do these trends indicate for future wildfire seasons? Nothing good. The report said overall, the area of the state commonly impacted by wildfires may expand eastward. At the same time, higher temperatures will likely allow very dry conditions to develop earlier in the year, extending both the spring and summer wildfire seasons.

https://www.kvue.com/article/tech/science/climate-science/texas-hotter-wildfires-climatology-report/269-483d3038-e623-406b-b0e3-b322c0766d35

This Is Fine GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

I just want to thank the City of Austin for sending me a text in English this morning warning me that it would be hot today followed by the same text in Spanish ten minutes later. I had planned on sitting outside in a parka all afternoon, but I might rethink that plan.

Are we going to get these texts every day until September?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can shovel snow and put more clothes on.

The heat wasn't a problem before we had kids - we would just veg inside.  With kids comes various activities, sports and otherwise.

I was at home with a one year-old all last summer. Good times. I don't know if it will be any easier with him being 2, but at least he's in daycare now. I was really starting to lose it by August.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Careful not to step on any human feces when you’re out and about. Enjoy the weather. 

Hmm. I’ve been there 5 times in the past 3 years. Never been an issue. 

image.gif.f88fa5d123ea8c04a6321e044d46724b.gif

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Careful not to step on any human feces when you’re out and about. Enjoy the weather. 

Just back from a nice five-mile run through downtown. Wasn’t really bothered by a single homeless person. And not an ounce of feces in sight.

sorry to disappoint.

• Hook 'Em 4

My problem with the heat lately has been the nights staying hot. Heat during the day has always been a thing and yeah it's hotter but it's not so much hotter than it's ruinous to an otherwise already hot as fuck summer. 

What's with all this humidity in Austin though? That seems a bit strange that the dew point is significantly higher than even 3-5 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1