2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Wasn't he hyping Kirk Johnson? I think Kirk is talented but I'll wait to see if he can actually make it through camp. 

It's totally Chip Brown to be in love with Kirk Johnson while having that opinion of Anderson after a couple of practices that probably didn't even involve pads. 

Chip leaves out that he was graded a top tier tackle in his conference, record be damned we need the help and Chip is a fuckin moron. 

18 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

Does anyone know if Shane has bulked up?

I don't want him injured again.

He's up to 210 if reports are to be believed.

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Gary Johnson day-to-day with a stinger? Can anyone confirm? 

Mother of fuck.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Has anyone heard anything about kicker and punter? Are we going to trot out a freshman at both positions? 

The new punter was the only one who took snaps in the spring so I'd think so. I think the coaches will keep Rowland at PK since he was decent there but with the new kickoff rule, who knows. I think he'll still do FGs too until he starts fucking up.

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Regarding players "not meeting expectations" Fuck Chip Brown had this to say in a recent article:

Lower: Without a doubt, the player who has come back to earth for me is Rice grad transfer left tackle Calvin Anderson. He doesn't have the size, feet, hands or confidence of an overachieving guy from a low-level Group Of Five school like Rice. He has the size, feet, hands and confidence, so far, of a guy who started for a team in Conference USA that — as I've pointed out repeatedly — went 5-7, 3-9 and 1-11 the last three seasons. Anderson looks like a freshman body-wise, standing next to guys like Denzel Okafor or Tope Imade, who both look great. We'll see if Anderson's confidence can bulk up in a hurry. So far, I'm not banking on it.

Fuck Chip Brown forever.  I really mean Fuck Chip Brown. 

Fuck you Chip Brown.  Anderson has game tape playing against Texas, Baylor x 2 (while they were playing/promoting rapists), Stanford x 2, Houston (w/ Orlando as DC), and Pitt.  He isn't some unknown quantity you insufferable dick-bag.  He's also been working out on his own and without the benefit of a spring/summer camp.  Its going to take him more than a week to get into game shape.  He'll be the starting LT, and the OL will be better because of it.

Fuck Chip Brown

• Like 3

On 8/9/2018 at 10:15 AM, Modessit said:

Are we going to be doing a game prediction contest again now that we're on the new site?

On 8/9/2018 at 10:17 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Huckleberry to the white courtesy phone...

I'll have to get with blacklab to see if the automated system he wrote can be ported over here somehow.

28 minutes ago, Snacks said:

It appears Jeff McCulloch is lost in the shuffle... don't hear shit about Shark any more.  

Strained pectoral. 

Also, I wish GJ’s stinger was really our staff being smart enough to park him until a week to ten days before the season. Much like our LT last year, there are a few positions/players I’d prefer we protect because they are season critical over TH’s preference to beat the s**t out of his players in August. 

I don’t think Johnson needs to learn to be aggressive or tackle like a newb might. Give him mental reps, and a non contact jersey imoho. We can play beat the shit out of ourselves when we’re sporting a loaded two deep with tantalizing frosh in the third string. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Kinda weird that we’re not really hearing much on Hudson. Granted I haven’t read every practice report and I’m not sure what his health status is, but still. 

What? 10 months from an ACL?  No real reps since then until just a few days ago?  Just starting to flash when he went down?  

I’m not expecting much out of Hudson until late in the year.  I’d consider it gravy if he’s making noise any time before OU. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

15 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

What? 10 months from an ACL?  No real reps since then until just a few days ago?  Just starting to flash when he went down?  

I’m not expecting much out of Hudson until late in the year.  I’d consider it gravy if he’s making noise any time before OU. 

Yeah fair enough. I just started reading practice reports. A couple weeks ago, I swore I wasn’t going to buy into the $9.95 hype, but I couldn’t help it. Kind of playing catch up compared to the rest of you guys 

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah fair enough. I just started reading practice reports. A couple weeks ago, I swore I wasn’t going to buy into the $9.95 hype, but I couldn’t help it. Kind of playing catch up compared to the rest of you guys 

My turning point was Jonathan Gray. I remember all the rave summer and fall reports about him being almost completely back from a torn Achilles. Yeah. Not so much. 

There are some guys who heal that fast, but they’re unicorns. Too many times I’ve seen comments about someone being back all the way, watched them kinda flounder during a season and then heard that they weren’t quite back or didn’t trust themselves until the year following. It’s why I’m not putting much stock in Brewer doing much this year until perhaps late. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

TFB with some more notes on the team and a practice report from August 8: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-10th-12th/

Early Fall Camp Thoughts & Questions
– Andrew King

Week one of fall camp is in the books for Texas, and week two has begun. We have some practice reports and quick hitters from Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, and, Day 5 part 2 of practice from Super K, Will, and Alex that you can check out if you missed them! I just wanted to give some of my main thoughts and questions for Texas as the move forward in fall camp.

– True Slot WR: 

Texas is having to replace arguably their most productive WR in 2018 after Reggie Hemphill-Mapps left the program. He was a true slot WR and was a security blanket for the QB’s last season. This year, I’m not sure Texas has a true slot WR that’s ready to play. Guys like Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Jerrod Heard will be used in the slot as mismatches as they’re both bigger WR’s. I think Humphrey is going to be the #1 WR for Texas this season, but I’m not expecting much from Heard at all. He’s been a great practice player since moving from QB to WR, but hasn’t done much when the bright lights come on.

A lot of people have been talking about freshman DB D’Shawn Jamison getting some work with the offense at slot. He’s a dynamic player, no doubt about it. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s Texas’ punt returner in 2018, but I’m pumping the brakes on the expectations for his offensive expectations for 2018. I’ve actually heard some really nice things about freshman WR Joshua Moore in the slot. But there are people that don’t feel like he’s big enough yet and a good enough blocker to see real playing time in 2018. But he’s a guy to keep an eye on for sure in the slot.

– Offensive Line Depth: 

Right now the offensive line looks like this in practice. Denzel Okafor – Patrick Vahe – Zach Shackelford – Elijah Rodriguez – Derek Kerstetter (Left-to-Right).

We have been told that the starting left tackle job is expected to be grad transfer Calvin Anderson’s job by the end of fall camp. Denzel Okafor is likely to be a swing tackle who can play on either side. I’m told there are some concerns with Vahe and Shackelford in pass protection. Both are better run blockers, so we will see if Herb Hand can get things right with those guys.

Patrick Hudson has been working with the 2’s and is being eased back in every day as he’s returning from a torn ACL. He’s an x-factor along the OL. If things start to click for him, watch out. And we’ll know more with the offensive line when the pads come on this week.

– Veteran Defensive Backs: 

It seems that during the Spring and now into the fall, all the talk has been about the freshman DB’s. And there’s no denying how special that group is and could be for Texas. I just feel like people aren’t talking about how important the play and mentorship from the veteran DB’s is going to be in 2018. Specifically Kris Boyd and Davante Davis.

I know people want to see guys like Anthony Cook and Jalen Green get shots at CB. But if Boyd and Davis play in 2018 like they’re expected to as seniors, Cook and Green won’t see the field too much.And that would be a good thing for Texas. Caden Sterns has been working with the 1’s at safety opposite Brandon Jones, which surprised me to see it happen this early in camp. Part of it has to do with John Bonney not being a good enough athlete at times in the open field, but Sterns has also been exceptional. BJ Foster has also been working with the 2’s in the first week of camp.

I’m excited to see the freshman DB’s, but let’s not forget about the two senior CB’s that will be massive keys to Texas’ defensive success in 2018.

– Chris Nelson/Defensive Tackles: 

Texas lost a lot of good players on defense from last season. Malik Jefferson, DeShon Elliott, and Holton Hill will all be hard to replace but none of them will come close to replacing Poona Ford at defensive tackle IMO.

Chris Nelson has been the guy tabbed to replace Ford in 2018. Some concerns with him have been injuries, he missed a lot of Spring practice due to an elbow injury but is healthy now. Another is that some aren’t sure he’s a perfect fit as a 3-4 nose tackle. He is arguably the biggest key to Texas’ defense in 2018. TaQuon Graham has been working with the 2’s behind Nelson so far. Graham is a guy who made a lot of noise in the Spring, so we’ll see how he performs during fall camp.

The same thing can be said about the defensive line that I said about the offensive line battles. We’ll know a lot more once the pads come on this week.

Latest Fall Practice Report | August 8th, 2018
– Will Baizer

DEPTH CHART
1s…
QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Daniel Young
X: Collin Johnson
Y: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Z: Devin Duvernay
TE: Andrew Beck
OL: Denzel Okafor – Patrick Vahe – Zach Shackelford – Elijah Rodriguez – Derek Kerstetter

DL: Breckyn Hager – Chris Nelson – Charles Omenihu
BLB: Malcolm Roach
RLB: Gary Johnson
MLB: Anthony Wheeler
NB: PJ Locke
CB: Kris Boyd, Davante Davis
BS: Caden Sterns
FS: Brandon Jones

2s / 3s / 4s…
QB: Shane Buechele/Casey Thompson/Cam Rising
RB: Tre Watson / Kyle Porter / Keaontay Ingram / Kirk Johnson / Toneil Carter
X: Brennan Eagles / Malcolm Epps
Y: Jerrod Heard / Jordan Pouncey / Josh Moore / D’Shawn Jamison
Z: John Burt / Davion Curtis / Al’Vonte Woodard
TE: Reese Leitao / Cade Brewer
OL: Samuel Cosmi – Patrick Hudson – Elijah Rodriguez – Tope Imade – JP Urquidez / Calvin Anderson – Rafiti Ghirmai – Austin Alsup – Junior Angilau – Reese Moore

DL: Taquon Graham – Gerald Wilbon – Marquez Bimage / Jamari Chisholm – D’Andre Christmas – Moro Ojomo
BLB: Joseph Ossai / Jack Hanna
RLB:  DeMarvion Overshown / Russel Hine
MLB: Ayodele Adeoye / Cameron Townsend / Luke Brockermeyer
NB: Josh Thompson / Jarmquist Durst
CB: Anthony Cook, Kobe Boyce / Eric Cuffee, Donovan Duvernay / Jalen Green
BS:  Chris Brown / BJ Foster
FS: John Bonney / Montrell Estell

NOTES
Injuries:

– RB Tristian Houston (bruised rib)

– BLB Jeffrey McCulloch (strained peck)

Take Aways:

– As you probably saw above, there was a big addition to the LBs this practice. That is freshman DeMarvion Overshown. I talked about how DeMarvion looked like a grown man on 8/5’s practice notes. Well, now he is playing with the grown men. This was a position change many saw coming; however, I have reason to believe that this change was more out of necessity than it was out of readiness. It still seems as though he is getting used to this next level, but Coach Orlando spent (relatively) a lot of one-on-one time with Overshown during drills making sure he understood what he was doing. I don’t think he’s anywhere ready to step onto the field from what I saw during tackling drills. He’s still learning the ropes.

– LB Gary Johnson is still a beast. He still isn’t the biggest guy on the field, but during tackle drills, he manhandled or drove out-of-bounds every player that was put in front of him. If he stays healthy, he’s in a for a special year.

– The extra Spring (from early enrolling) on freshman LB Ayodele Adeoye is noticeable compared to his classmates. Dele looks more physically imposing than the other freshmen LBs and he plays like it to. Guys like fellow freshman Keaontay Ingram are no match in tackling drills and he seems to have a better understanding of what is going on around practice.

– Today sophomore TE Cade Brewer ditched the green jersey for a more fashionable burnt orange one. He then proceeded to level second teamers in the tackling drill. They’re working him back into the rotation of tight-ends, but it seems he feels more prepared to go in than the coaches are willing to allow him to participate.

– Tre Watson seems to be stepping into the vocal leadership role in the RB room. Whenever you pass by the RB station you could hear Watson encouraging his teammates or chirping at the defense.

– I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Freshman WR Brennan Eagles is impressive physically and when he gets the ball in his hands. During tackle drills, I watched Eagles run over an unprepared Jamarquist Durst, and then juke someone else out. The key is getting the ball in his hands. He still needs to learn a bit more until he’ll be a consistent contributor, but what’s there is promising.

– Neither I nor Alex saw Toneil Carter during RB drills. He was out there though when they did the tackling drills. I will say this about Toneil. He will have a chance to prove himself this year, but what he needs to work on is how he uses his hands while running. He has very good footwork, but his hands are forgotten in the process. This could be a big reason for his loose footballs.

– BJ Foster looks to have the same if not more height, size, and sturdiness as his older teammates. While he did get bumped down the depth chart by Chris Brown (who I like), it is fair to say that he will be fighting for playing time once he learns the defense.

– In fact that entire safety room will be a battle throughout the course of the year. There are too many bodies with too much talent.

– Caden Sterns is holding onto the safety position with two hands and using a third hand to hold off Bonney. I believe the coaches are enamored with Sterns instinct as I was following him up through high school. By all reports, he is really exceeding expectations in practice, but I also wonder whether or not Bonney was going to be serious competition for him.

– Quote of the Day was from Meekins to Epps: “If you stand still like that you’re a statue. Do you know what happens to statues? Birds shit on them.”

Shark is injured.
Strained pectoral. 
Also, I wish GJ’s stinger was really our staff being smart enough to park him until a week to ten days before the season. Much like our LT last year, there are a few positions/players I’d prefer we protect because they are season critical over TH’s preference to beat the s**t out of his players in August. 
I don’t think Johnson needs to learn to be aggressive or tackle like a newb might. Give him mental reps, and a non contact jersey imoho. We can play beat the shit out of ourselves when we’re sporting a loaded two deep with tantalizing frosh in the third string. 
Life-Moves-Pretty-Fast-Ferris-Bueller.jpg?resize=720,340&ssl=1
much grass.

yeah, I don't keep up as much.