Jalen Hurts not happy; grad transfers to OU

Machinator

i'm not frustrated out of fear of hurts at ou.  i'm frustrated at the fact that we started 8 qbs in between colt and sam.  we had a black hole there and nobody gave a shit.  would be nice if a team we cared about beating felt that, even a little bit, on occasion.

nothing is easy, but 2019 could be fun.  just beat lsu.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Agreed. To me, Hurts is not a polished passer, especially to be effective as most QBs in the Big 12. Of course, Riley will have plays catered to Hurts' strengths and be very competitive but as Sushi mentioned before......Hurts and Rielly only have a handful of months to learn a completely different system.

Question, since Hurts is from Texas, I am assuming that he played in a spread offense. How effective was he in spread?

I foresee Reilly utilizing a lot of roll outs, rpos and quick screens to get Hurts comfortable with the occasional deep shot.

Hurts played HS ball at Channelview.  I saw some HS highlights when aggy was recruiting him and they did run spread but mostly the way Georgia and Bama do it.  Lots quick passes underneath the defense looking for YAC mixed in with deep, play-action shots against single coverage.  Not much that required a read of more than one defender.  He's got the physical tools.  Riley has his work cut out for him teaching coverage recognition and read progressions.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Hurts played HS ball at Channelview.  I saw some HS highlights when aggy was recruiting him and they did run spread but mostly the way Georgia and Bama do it.  Lots quick passes underneath the defense looking for YAC mixed in with deep, play-action shots against single coverage.  Not much that required a read of more than one defender.  He's got the physical tools.  Riley has his work cut out for him teaching coverage recognition and read progressions.

blOU runs an Air Raid-inspired offense... it's probably not really going to be that big of an undertaking teaching Hurts what he needs to know. Air Raid offenses have always been somewhat plug-and-play, especially with the offensive talent Hurts will have at his disposal.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I feel good to great about where our program is headed.

That being said, UT fans trying to rationalize this away as no big deal is kinda funny.  Our track record in predicting how gooner QBs will pan out is . . . not good.  Anyone remember "Sam Bradford seems like he sucks?"

this right here,  everyone cheering this on is gonna be pissed as Fuck when BlowU is fucking 12-1 in the playoffs again.  Last year Kyler the midget was gonna get skull fucked up and down the field, Baker was a walk on trash who couldnt make it at tech.   Hurts is like 50-2  i dont care how shitty you are, or how much talent is around you  50-2 isnt bad,  this fucking blows dick   but atleast we get to break his face in october for their lone loss again 

BlowU fucking lucks again into a day 1 starter while it took us a fucking decade to find sam 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

blOU runs an Air Raid-inspired offense... it's probably not really going to be that big of an undertaking teaching Hurts what he needs to know. Air Raid offenses have always been somewhat plug-and-play, especially with the offensive talent Hurts will have at his disposal.

It looks that way only because of the extremely high-rep philosophy behind it.  The training is supposed to minimize conscious thought and make the reads and throws almost a reaction.  Learn, rep, review film, correct, rep some more.  That's why time in the program really matters.  Riley can either cut down the play book or reduce the number of practice reps devoted to each play.

One year rental to get Spencer Rattler up to speed. Makes more sense than those who thought Justin Fields was a fit there would be directly competing with Rattler for a couple of years. Still a transition year, but they can still be highly functioning while they get Rattler up to speed in the hopes they can get 3 years out of him after this year. and not drop to only a 9 win type team. Kendall already is in the portal and I would expect Tanner Mordecai soon thereafter. QB depth might be perilous this year if Mordecai leaves. 

8 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

One year rental to get Spencer Rattler up to speed. Makes more sense than those who thought Justin Fields was a fit there would be directly competing with Rattler for a couple of years. Still a transition year, but they can still be highly functioning while they get Rattler up to speed in the hopes they can get 3 years out of him after this year. and not drop to only a 9 win type team. Kendall already is in the portal and I would expect Tanner Mordecai soon thereafter. QB depth might be perilous this year if Mordecai leaves. 

Early on LR supposedly said he wanted Hurts over Fields.  W Rattler coming in that makes sense.  

/$9.95

It will be funny if Rattler beats him out in the spring but they go with Hurts anyway. 

Regardless, I assume OU is always going to be good and always have some cocksucker under center that's good for a 70 yd TD in the Cotton Bowl. 

That doesn't make him Baker or Kyler. I think y'all are underrating those two if you think this is round 3. It will be hard for their defense to be any worse next year but pretty impossible for their QB play to be any better. It's not like Hurts really tore it up numbers-wise at Bama. Sam had a better season this year than Hurts did in either of his two full campaigns. 

42 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So...

Welcome to the bigs kid.  This isn't highschool Harry bullshit anymore.  You will be told one thing and the opposite will happen. Life isn't fair and you mean nothing if you aren't winning, and you haven't won shit yet.

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm not frustrated out of fear of hurts at ou.  i'm frustrated at the fact that we started 8 qbs in between colt and sam.  we had a black hole there and nobody gave a shit.  would be nice if a team we cared about beating felt that, even a little bit, on occasion.

nothing is easy, but 2019 could be fun.  just beat lsu.

We had no competent OC to sell.  Between Davis, Major, Harsin, Gilbert, Watson, Norvel, Wickline...what did we have to sell?  We had nothing, no scheme, no consistent attitude, weak line play, no style...nothing, nada.  That's why a grad transfer did not sniff Austin during those years. Plus pussy ass coaches (mostly Mack) who were afraid of competition.

Edited by jdhorn92

8 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We had no competent OC to sell.  Between Davis, Major, Harsin, Gilbert, Watson, Norvel, Wickline...what did we have to sell?  We had nothing.

And Lincoln Riley was out there and Bob Stoops got him. Our coaches couldn’t see it. I hope we are finally out of that dark wilderness we’ve been in for way too long. I also hope we don’t have to play OU twice next year. 

Edited by Brandywine

11 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

And Lincoln Riley was out there and Bob Stoops got him. Our coaches couldn’t see it. I hope we are finally out of that dark wilderness we’ve been in for way too long. I also hope we don’t have to play OU twice next year. 

When you have conference mates such as Kstate and OSU that roll over and die as they have for 100 years when they play OU, but play us like its the super bowl, they are going to be there every damn year for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

this right here,  everyone cheering this on is gonna be pissed as Fuck when BlowU is fucking 12-1 in the playoffs again.  Last year Kyler the midget was gonna get skull fucked up and down the field, Baker was a walk on trash who couldnt make it at tech.   Hurts is like 50-2  i dont care how shitty you are, or how much talent is around you  50-2 isnt bad,  this fucking blows dick   but atleast we get to break his face in october for their lone loss again 

BlowU fucking lucks again into a day 1 starter while it took us a fucking decade to find sam 

They didn't luck into it. They have a strong, established offensive identity and a track record of success with QBs that makes them attractive to the candidates out there.

Hopefully, Herman understands that, unlike Mack and Charlie.

46 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This as an improvement, he'll be the first OU QB in 4 years that's not a massive douche or pussy. 

wrong, so wrong. hurts is a massive douche and pussy.  let me make sure you understand how this works:  insert whatever random jackass that is a qb on their roster, instant douche and pussy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

When you have conference mates such as Kstate and OSU that roll over and die as they have for 100 years when they play OU, but play us like its the super bowl, they are going to be there every damn year for the foreseeable future. 

Lol.  OU rolls them.  I promise OSU wants to beat OU as badly as they wanna beat Texas.  OU has just dominated the ever living shit out of them.  Get over yourself. 

• Fuck You 1

Hurts is not the sudden athlete Murray is but he is every bit as fast in a straight line.  And no he’s not as accurate but can probably throw it farther.    I think the need to read coverages in that offense is overstated.  The playcalling does most of the work.  Hurts has the tools to make that offense go at a high clip.  

2 minutes ago, b_p said:

aggy I work with: "Jalen Hurts just transferred to OU.  Ouch.  UT will not be able to beat OU next year now."

me: "You should know all about not being able to beat Jalen Hurts."

aggy:  ....

Guess he forgot that the TEXAS Longhorns already beat OU with BOTH Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray at QB.  Maybe Hurts is better than OU's last 2 Hypesman winners but I doubt it.  And the Horns are only getting stronger.

2 hours ago, Brandywine said:

I hope we are finally out of that dark wilderness we’ve been in for way too long. I also hope we don’t have to play OU twice next year. 

I'll take twice..... beat their asses both times......  It's 5:07pm and... OU Sucks

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan