Maryland player died of heatstroke, DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

Gil Bang

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea normal healthy individuals get heat exhaustion in 80 degree weather, with that being said though they waited way to long to get medical help and this story is why you have to almost go over board and have them with a medical staff nurse or doctor with the first sign of anything.

But, here's the issue. When I played basketball we had to do wall sits for "not giving enough effort" during suicides, in today's society that would regarded as "Bullying". 

This story should be about a kid who I am about certain had medical issues or heart problems or something else undiagnosed as the biggest reason he died and the lack of medical attention or lack of urgency by the football and medical team on campus. It shouldn't be a about a "Culture of bullying". That take is just fucking dumb. Telling a kid to go the extra mile is what gives us goosebumps when we watch Texas Football workout videos in the summer, but a kid dies and now it's they were too hard on him? Every coach in America jumps up every kids ass all practice long and if they aren't preforming or injured they go to the pit or have to do hard workouts. There is real bullying that take place but not everything is bullying or "humiliating"a kid, because now if a coach yells and says "Shane, WTF was that horseshit throw" he can say "the mean coach was humiliating me and was mean". 

The story should be about the kid dying of medical issues, how many times has this happened and it NOT been a undiagnosed heart or medical issue? Literally everyone of them has been that since Hank Gathers died, Hell I bet it was hotter than 80 degrees in the gym he was playing in the 1990's than it was outside on a Maryland may afternoon in the spring.

The first part of your statement will probably become standard in the FBS, at least P5 schools within the next few seasons I would think after all this negative press...

Coaches today are aware of heat stroke and that under privileged kids just do not have the funds to be properly diagnosed of hidden ailments.  Once the kid collapsed with a seizure the only reason EMT's were not called is because the trainer is an asshole that wants to show the rest of the players how tough he can be on someone. We don't need an ESPN article hit piece to conclude that something is very wrong with the culture or the processes in place that allow a very preventable death to occur.

Oh by the way fuck coach boom for not concluding the same.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Big 10 was even dumber for inviting them and Rutgers 

Ya.. those Baltimore and New York TV markets are childsplay compared to the juggernaut Lincoln and iowa City markets. You are so fucking stupid. Wait, did I trigger Cooter?

Edited by Vertigo

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not saying that at all I am saying that literally in every case a kid has died in practice it has been because of a underlying medical issue as the biggest issue or cause. I’m not reflecting on if the coaches went over board and matter of fact I stated the medical staff not giving him attention is the worse. 

If kids are dying because coaches are dicks it would happen all the time, every time this has happened it’s been because of medical issues mixed with super high heats. It was 80 degrees. I will be shocked if it’s anything other than a medical issue or heart issue that caused this. 

Durkin should be fired over not giving him medical attention. 

The classic pre-existing condition that is missed in pre-participation physicals and leads to death is IHSS. There are a few other less commonly occurring ones as well, like congenital instability or stenosis of the c-spine. The circumstances as reported in this case do not correlate with any of the usual suspects. They sound like a person exerting physically, overheating, becoming symptomatic, and not receiving appropriate treatment until too late. All of what I described can occur in fit, healthy athletes in 80 degree weather in under an hour. If you were an expert, you would know this. A half-decent trainer would know this. The only thing that can come to light to absolve training staff in this case is that there was, in fact, no delay between seeing his distress and getting Jordan help. A seizure on the field is a life-threatening emergency until proven otherwise. If any actual MD has an opinion to the contrary, feel free to speak up. If any armchair docs wish to expose their ignorance, they are welcome to pipe up as well. This is what we refer to in our peer review meetings as a clean kill.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Ya.. those Baltimore and New York TV markets are childsplay compared to the juggernaut Lincoln and iowa City markets. You are so fucking stupid. Wait, did I trigger Cooter?

Lol nobody in NY even knows what Rutgers is. I suppose they should have added UH to capture the Houston market? 

The kids death was a tragedy and may have been because of a unfounded medical condition. Or just shitty oversight.

But don't forget that in the real world, grown men in way worse physical condition put in 8 - 10+ hours in the heat every day. Sometimes shit just happens.

There needs to be a thorough and unbiased investigation. Until then people need to calm down.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

The kids death was a tragedy and may have been because of a unfounded medical condition. Or just shitty oversight.

But don't forget that in the real world, grown men in way worse physical condition put in 8 - 10+ hours in the heat every day. Sometimes shit just happens.

There needs to be a thorough and unbiased investigation. Until then people need to calm down.

Yeah, but in the real world, when someone starts having convulsions and there are others around to see it, it shouldn't take an hour to call 911.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

You are sort of right.

If the problem is with the culture, you damned sure want to stem the tide of risk before someone else gets injured as well.

If it's one rogue trainer being a dick, that's one thing.  If that's how things are in College Park, that's quite another.

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Big 10 was even dumber for inviting them and Rutgers 

Yeah, what were they thinking adding the NYC and DC markets? That lack of vision is only bringing in over $51 Milllion annually for each of the other 12 schools in the conference. In several years it will be bringing that kind of money to Maryland and Rutgers too. Such foolishness on all sides. 

• Like 1

Obviously there are lots of unanswered questions and as yet undisclosed  facts.

In addition to undiagnosed medical conditions one needs to know what the patient did the night or day before- activity, susbstance ingestion, etc, however the one statement in the story that, if true, is completely inexcusable and doesn’t require a blue ribbon panel to publish a report is the alleged 58 minutes delay prior to calling EMS after a witnessed seizure OR mental status changes.

That is a medical emergency and ice bath or reassurance is not ever an appropriate answer. Any trainer should know just like any average person should know, without a medical background . Whomever witnessed a seizure and failed to call or withheld real medical attention is responsible, period. This is a serious error of judgement.

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

I'm still drunk and hungover but it's completely lost on what's being argued here. The kid's internal temp was 106 an hour after he collapsed. The coaches apparently did nothing to help and allegedly covered up whatever the hell they did for the first hour the kid was in a seizure.  They didn't even do the minimal amount required to reduce the internal temperatures. It's fucking outrageous. This isn't about calling a kid a pussy. 

Yeah, I did my best as a pretty elite swimmer with coaches that pushed me really hard. But this kind of shit is absolutely beyond what's right.

I'd push myself my hardest knowing my coaches had my back. With this kind of thing, it ruins the entire relationship. It doesn't help you be a better athlete, your trainers are just fucking garbage.

5 hours ago, Horny04 said:

So does this mean I should wait and just try and scalp 3 tickets because no one will want to go?

Tickets might be cheaper if you wait until right at kickoff, as it seems there might be a replacement for Durkin, & Terp fans won't be as hyped up...

20 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

The classic pre-existing condition that is missed in pre-participation physicals and leads to death is IHSS. There are a few other less commonly occurring ones as well, like congenital instability or stenosis of the c-spine. The circumstances as reported in this case do not correlate with any of the usual suspects. They sound like a person exerting physically, overheating, becoming symptomatic, and not receiving appropriate treatment until too late. All of what I described can occur in fit, healthy athletes in 80 degree weather in under an hour. If you were an expert, you would know this. A half-decent trainer would know this. The only thing that can come to light to absolve training staff in this case is that there was, in fact, no delay between seeing his distress and getting Jordan help. A seizure on the field is a life-threatening emergency until proven otherwise. If any actual MD has an opinion to the contrary, feel free to speak up. If any armchair docs wish to expose their ignorance, they are welcome to pipe up as well. This is what we refer to in our peer review meetings as a clean kill.

The EKGs are for HOCM, correct?

On 8/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, Deej said:

If you don't have a problem with making a kid eat until he pukes, there's no helping you. That's some effed up shit.

The kid who died did not receive the care he needed for almost an hour and that’s fucked up. 

On a lighter level- they should really hire a nutritionist. “How should our players put on weight?” “Make them eat. Like a whole lot at once”

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Sucks to suck. Honestly though a heat stroke in 80 degree weather? Dude must have been drinking the night before or something.

It’s very likely the injury occurred the day(s) before the actual event.  Much like concussions, having a heat injury makes you more susceptible to heat injury.  It can be cumulative, until your body finally succumbs to the conditions.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

You clearly never played sports man. I’ve heard and seen much worse than that. 

Gawd, I fucking love these posts.  Do you not realize that people who are 20 years older than you think you are a pussy because you had water breaks in practice?

"WATER BREAK?!?!?!  You clearly never played real sports man."

I don’t expect to not get flamed on for saying what I said and especially for guys on here that never played even high level high school sports, I played college basketball(division 3)

Lulz.  My daughter was recruited by every D3 school in the state.  I told her, "They're not recruiting you to run; they're recruiting you to pay tuition."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Gawd, I fucking love these posts.  Do you not realize that people who are 20 years older than you think you are a pussy because you had water breaks in practice?

"WATER BREAK?!?!?!  You clearly never played real sports man."

Lulz.  My daughter was recruited by every D3 school in the state.  I told her, "They're not recruiting you to run; they're recruiting you to pay tuition."

I never understood that water makes you weak shit.  Our coaches would say tough it out, oh and here's a salt pill...

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, I did my best as a pretty elite swimmer with coaches that pushed me really hard. But this kind of shit is absolutely beyond what's right.

I'd push myself my hardest knowing my coaches had my back. With this kind of thing, it ruins the entire relationship. It doesn't help you be a better athlete, your trainers are just fucking garbage.

It's hard to die of heat stroke while you're doing the breaststroke. Kind of protective.

22 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Ahem, Iowa City and CEDAR RAPIDS CORRIDOR.

(shout out to my homies in Coralville, what up C-VILLE!?!)

On 8/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well I’m leaving this topic, it’s 12:30 so all the millennials are waking up finally and gonna be triggeredddddddd

Well you were big on posturing and ad hominem attacks and little on actually addressing anything mentioned in that article. I see no evidence in today's society telling your players to do 'wallsits' is considered bullying...but hey if you say it it must be true any anybody who disagrees will be attacked as a pussy. Nice debating strategy. Then whine and bail out while claiming everybody else is weak. Pathetic. And you call them triggeredddddddDDD1111!!!

Edited by Valmy77

22 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well you were big on posturing and ad hominem attacks and little on actually addressing anything mentioned in that article. I see no evidence in today's society telling your players to do 'wallsits' is considered bullying...but hey if you say it it must be true any anybody who disagrees will be attacked as a pussy. Nice debating strategy. Then whine and bail out while claiming everybody else is weak. Pathetic. And you call them triggeredddddddDDD1111!!!

This is surly, we are all assholes so if you can't take it then quit posting. Like I give a fuck about your views on "debate strategy". People like you take internet posting and message boards way to fucking serious. 

• Fuck You 2

On 8/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Vertigo said:

If by the time the XII is set to renew the XII GoR's in 2025, it could be a case where the market footprint model is dead, due to continuous cord cutting of satellite & cable subscriptions... While on the other hand, especially if factoring streaming as a stronger model over that of market/ subscription, then content will be more valued... In that case, it could be argued that he B1G adding (for instance), Iowa State & Kansas or Missouri, would had netted more value in the future than Rutgers & Maryland, as the latter was added for markets in New Jersey, that somehow counted as part of New York as well...

In reality, Maryland was grabbed to try to bust the ACC wide open, to pull in Delany's dream of #15-UVA/ #16-UNC/ #17-Duke/ #18-GT/ #19-FSU (or Miami)/ #20-ND... 

But none of that worked out in trying to become a 20 team league, and now Nebraska is stuck with Iowa as it's main "arch-rival", and the Rutgers market is not even paying off just 6 years later, as the largest provider in the B1G footprint has currently dropped the BTN from the majority of the league footprint, including the Terps, & state university of New Jersey...

Bad news, Rutgers fans: Comcast could dump Big Ten Network | TV ...

NJ.com-Jul 24, 2018
Bad news, Rutgers fans: Comcast could dump Big Ten Network | TV ... as well as alternate providers they can turn to if Comcast drops BTN ...

Big Ten Network-Comcast dispute could leave Maryland football fans ...

Baltimore Sun-Aug 9, 2018
Big Ten Network-Comcast dispute could leave Maryland football ... is that Comcast will be alone if they decide to drop BTN and those Big Ten ...

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

There's no way he can survive this, can he?

Although, all that free $$$ from the Fat Ten Network seems to deaden the senses in the old Legends & Leaders conference.

I will comment on the fact that the contract is only for six years, and all of Amazon/ AT&T/ Facebook/ Google & Comcast would have to start bidding to circumvent subscription losses in the current cable/ satellite model... The SEC & ACC might wind up looking smarter in having locked in contracts until the mid 2030's, just as UT is with the LHN until 2031 as well...

yeah, that hour is going to be supremely problematic for the coaching staff. and i don't mean just lawsuits against the school, nor am i talking about keeping their job. 

i'm no law dog, and i know law don't go round here, but i would posit that involuntary manslaughter or the maryland equivalent is on the table.

From Maryland's 247 site:

Five days into Maryland football's sudden disaster, and many questions linger with few definitive answers to be found. Here's the latest we're hearing:

University president Wallace Loh and Damon Evans are under heavy fire. Evans, to some extent, is tied to DJ Durkin, and the athletic director falls under the microscope nearly as much as the head coach in a situation like this one. Sources said media outlets have been digging around on Evans and his status is tenuous. Whether a move on Evans would be the result of self-preservation by school Loh, the loads of ugly PR resulting from Maryland's handling of the situation or other baggage, Evans could be challenged to survive in his role into the season.
Durkin has retained an attorney and is planning to vigorously fight for his job -- or at least for his remaining salary, and his reputation. It's increasingly hard to envision him returning to the sidelines at Maryland, and sources said the school could be waiting until the investigation is complete so it can fire him with cause, meaning he wouldn't be due his entire salary. Some feel Durkin's being railroaded with exaggerated claims because Loh refused to discuss a settlement with the McNair family, which prompted their attorney's public relations bombs. Either way, it looks like he's at the point of no return, mired in a PR nightmare that will prevent him from ever getting back on the sideline at Maryland.
McNair's death and ESPN's claims of a toxic culture are two different issues; if that latter is largely exaggerated and wouldn't have surfaced with a settlement, the former would come down to whether Durkin was found to be negligent -- directly or as the program's CEO -- for the tragedy that took place. If he was on the scene and had a hand in McNair's condition or improper treatment, of course, the question is null and void. If he wasn't, had Maryland admitted to fault and reached an appropriate settlement, as Loh was urged, this conversation might not be taking place. Durkin is said to be devastated by McNair's death.
Sources inside the program continue to question how the school handled the McNair investigation, waiting until ESPN broke the story rather than being proactive. Some things were not secrets. ESPN's reporting on trainer Wes Robinson's quote -- he allegedly yelled "drag his ass across the field" as McNair struggled -- for example, doesn't seem to be debated. "I don't know what they were thinking. Everybody knew Wes said it," a source said.
The most frequent question, aside from whether Durkin will return: did Loh not know the details of the investigation? If he had, under what circumstances did he decide it was in the university's best interest to hire the interim A.D. when it occurred, who's closely tied to Durkin? Then there's his hire of Kevin Anderson, who made three big-sport hires: Durkin, Randy Edsall and Mark Turgeon. While Durkin showed plenty of promise before this controversy arose and Turgeon has been far more successful than Edsall, the combined results of Loh's hand-picked A.D. have not been impressive.
A sliver of good news: the assistant coaches seem to have taken to interim coach Matt Canada so far. It's very early, but so far he seems to be saying the right things. It will be interesting to see when the school will allow media access to Canada or his players