¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 6/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's why I have barn cats. I also have 7 kittens (less than 3 weeks old) on the front porch. I don't want the snek to reduce the mouser numbers.

There is a bird nest under the eaves that the snake was after. The wife would be pissed if anything happened to her birds. Some type of swallow that eats bugs so it is allowed to build there.

Fair enough. I withdraw my previous suggestion.

Ain't got shit on my 94 year old grandma who slays rattlers in her backyard every few months. Garden hoe.
Spoiler Based on her number of children, the garden wasn't the only place.

Should I?

Ok. I will.

You know the rules. Pics of grandma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were walking last night and there was about an 18" rough green snake. I needed a camera - really a pretty green and seemed to have a distinguished yellow underbelly. It looked a lot like this one:

green-snake-2.jpg

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

I can honestly say this thread had helped me in judging snakes and moving along. I'm still kind of a pussy with then though

That’s the thing, people can just leave them alone. I try not to get bent out of shape with people killing venomous snakes on their property if they have kids and pets (although I would just relocate the snake). But killing harmless snakes in their own habitat? That makes them an idiotic pussy.
  • Like 5

That’s the thing, people can just leave them alone. I try not to get bent out of shape with people killing venomous snakes on their property if they have kids and pets (although I would just relocate the snake). But killing harmless snakes in their own habitat? That makes them an idiotic pussy.

This ^^^^ all day.
  • Like 2

I kill rattlers that are anywhere near camp. 2 young kids and 3 dogs running around there and I am not going to deal with the chances. I have a giant coachwhip that likes to come around camp and I let that cool ass dude roll around. It is fucking cool.

I will say I bought a long ass snake gripper deal and I might start relocating even the rattlers if I stop seeing them as often. There are rat snakes and I have a huge one on camera at water trough. If I can get more of those and less rattlers, I would be happy.

Edited by HOOKEM4

As a youth I had a decent plan to no step on snek.

Only had to kill a handful when a cottonmouth would wander too far away from the stock tank and into our yard...

Also one young copperhead out of panic as a friend almost stepped/sat down on it while a buddy and I were headed down to go canoeing. Don’t know how I saw the damn thing and out of instinct I just grabbed her and swung the oar at it in one motion, took its head clean off.

Yeah. Gave her some benadryl. She was just swollen in her mouth area. Still had appetite. Took her in first thing this morning. They gave her some steroids. Already looks much better. Found her ball next to the woodpile. Imagine that's where it happened.

Stupid snek question amnesty:  Do dogs have better resistance to snek poison* than humans?  I read stories like Deej's and it seems like dogs handle snek bites better than humans.  His dog got over the counter alleger medication and some steroids, whereas humans usually need a heavy dose of antivenom.

*or venom, whatever.

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not that I am aware of. However, Copperhead’s venom is pretty weak. There is also the amount of venom in the bite that has to be taken into account. Dry bites are not uncommon or low venom yielding bites.

As evidenced by the fact that Art Rascon is still yammering away on Ch.13 despite being bitten by a copperhead, this unfortunately appears to be true. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 4:18 PM, HenryJames said:

Family was out at EC a few years ago for the Granite Gripper and the day after the competition we saw a King Snek eating a rattler snek.  Both were pretty big 4' ish.

so maybe the King Snek killed water snek.

He was trying to escape from the fireworks and Tejano music. My yard is one of the few safe spaces.

Think it was in my woodpile. Found the dog's ball right next to it this morning. Usually, she doesn't leave it out in the yard.

Edited by Deej