¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 7/15/2018 at 8:46 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Any of you east Texas Nancy boys ever come across a timber rattler? Closest to me that I have heard of sightings of them já the woodlands.

I found one on our ranch in Brazoria County about 10-15 years ago.    I haven't seen one since. 

• 2 weeks later...

sneky milk snek goes shopping for milk in New York:

Laura Walitsky wrote on Facebook that after arriving at the

Pittsford Wegmans around 6:30 p.m. Monday, she grabbed a cart and began perusing the produce. She was picking out “some broccoli, some grapes, peaches and … choosing my plums” when her daughter said, “Uh, Mom, there’s a snake on the cart.”

Wait. What?

Indeed, a small reptile had wrapped itself around the bottom of Walitsky’s cart (where shoppers often put heavy or bulky items).

The Pittsford resident remained calm.

“We walked the cart outside,” she explained via Facebook Messenger, and “I sent my daughter in to tell someone at customer service.”

Then Walitsky spotted two Helping Hands workers and “flagged them over.”

“I said, ‘What do you think we should do with this?’ One ran in to get a manager.”

Walitsky praised the Wegmans employees who responded to the situation, saying they “were definitely surprised, but stayed calm” too.

Although Walitsky must be a special kind of calm because she had the presence of mind to snap a couple pictures of the wayward creature.

It isn’t clear how the snake wound up on the cart. But Bradley Cosentino, an associate professor of biology at Hobart and William Smith Colleges, called it a "cool find!" after viewing Walitsky's photographs. 

Cosentino, who is helping organize an effort to monitor the populations of New York amphibians and reptiles, including snakes, identified the creature as a milk snake.

c4fda312-d458-4793-b228-376399b36745-Sna

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2018/08/28/snake-pittsford-wegmans-cart/1119695002/