Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 8/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mittens said:

This could definitely go in either thread, but holy shit for me came at about 0:18

10 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Damn.

The one fucking day you're running late and you leave your suit at home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Just how much gas would it take to do that? How long would you have to leave it uncapped and pouring out of a 1/2 inch gas line. Couldn’t they smell it?8562bb2c75d0699ea7b6e99c9fcc9744.jpg

IDK man. Something fishy going on there. Consider the following:

The explosion and large fire in Plum, Pennsylvania, a suburb northeast of Pittsburgh, marked at least the third time in 15 years a home has exploded in the borough. It destroyed three houses and damaged at least a dozen more, authorities said.

A 6th person has died after the house explosion outside Pittsburgh, officials say (msn.com)

Don't move to Plum, Pennsylvania.

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Just how much gas would it take to do that? How long would you have to leave it uncapped and pouring out of a 1/2 inch gas line. Couldn’t they smell it?8562bb2c75d0699ea7b6e99c9fcc9744.jpg

That’s the part that I don’t get. With 6 people in the house, how did none of them notice the smell of the house filling with enough gas to create an explosion of that size. 

13 minutes ago, heso said:

That’s the part that I don’t get. With 6 people in the house, how did none of them notice the smell of the house filling with enough gas to create an explosion of that size. 

There’s got to be a problem with the oderant in the gas. That’s probably where the lawsuits coming out of this are going to focus. 

16 minutes ago, heso said:

If leak small and under ground, etc the odorant can get absorbed into the soil or concrete, whatever it's passing though leaving only the odorless natural gas getting through.  The odorant is really only highly effective for knowing if an exposed connection or pipe is leaking.  If I'm living in that neighborhood I'm getting a natural gas detector for my house pronto. (note - carbon monoxide detectors won't alert you to gas leaks either, they are for improper ventation from burning the gas, not the gas itself)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Wow. Dude probably has 3rd degree burns on his arms and will be scarred for life.  Lower part of his pants melted too.
On another note, those firefighters didn't seem to know what the fuck they were doing.  When the dude ran in, why didn't they start blasting the area with water to help him out?

Edited by Ojo Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If leak small and under ground, etc the odorant can get absorbed into the soil or concrete, whatever it's passing though leaving only the odorless natural gas getting through.  The odorant is really only highly effective for knowing if an exposed connection or pipe is leaking.  If I'm living in that neighborhood I'm getting a natural gas detector for my house pronto. (note - carbon monoxide detectors won't alert you to gas leaks either, they are for improper ventation from burning the gas, not the gas itself)

Interesting. My guess is that’s what happened with one of the earlier house explosions in that area. Apparently someone was doing some sort of digging near the foundation and nicked it bent the gas line and over time it developed into a sufficient enough leak over time that it built up in the house and exploded. 

My boss lives close enough to this recent one that the explosion rattled her windows and she installed national gas detectors a few days after it happened. 

Edited by heso

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

(note - carbon monoxide detectors won't alert you to gas leaks either, they are for improper ventation from burning the gas, not the gas itself)

They make them now that does CO2 and natural gas. 

edit: https://www.homelectrical.com/carbon-monoxide-natural-gas-detector.usi-mcn108.1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfymBhCTARIsADXTabmf17N94KONUb35C-EGckstFJ1YOjhSbDj1BZJqOWDLrFnvfXGg4GEaAlIUEALw_wcB

Edited by markstanco
ou sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Thanks, had no idea, ordered a Kidde version of this just now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Another possibility is its natural gas as in seeping straight out of the ground no pipe involved. That area is a huge drilling field. Gas has no odor until they add it during refining. A detector would pick it up, but if it's naturally seeping and you build a space for it to accumulate... boom. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1