Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 9/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, Crapinon said:

It gets really complicated but if you notice he (illegally in the US) has two lanyards connected together (making a loop) at his feet. If he falls, he's going to fall at least 6' (lanyard length) plus the distance from where his back d-ring is before the fall to where it rest after the fall (probably at least a foot over his head. When he hits the end of his fall, he's generating something around 380-400 lbs of force or more assuming he weighs 180 lbs. Think what would happen if you had a harness on where you only fell 1 foot but you had and extra 200+ pounds tied to your feet. And all that force was concentrated in 10 or so square inches of your crotch. Then the harness is going to squeeze around your rib cage from the force of the fall, breaking your ribs (and possibly snapping your spine) and shoving them like shrapnel into your intestines. 

Intestinal Shrapnel would be a damned fine band name. Might need it translated into Russian, tho'.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

Need backstory on this one... why were the morons just sitting there watching the obviously big waves?

In 2004 when the tsunami hit Indonesia, the ocean level dropped and people could walk tens or hundreds of feet out from the regular shoreline. Then the water came in and killed over 200,000 people. So... if the water level drops, get to higher ground.

17 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Two life lessons to file away:

If the rocks or sand are wet where you are, more waves will 100% be coming. 

Never turn your back on the ocean. 

Yup. We were at the beach yesterday and the waves were higher than I've ever seen. It had flooded the parking lot which was at least 10' above the shoreline. I was with my kids, and the life guard warned us not to stay on the embankment, and to definitely not turn our back to the ocean. It was pretty nuts how high the surf was.

41 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Yup. We were at the beach yesterday and the waves were higher than I've ever seen. It had flooded the parking lot which was at least 10' above the shoreline. I was with my kids, and the life guard warned us not to stay on the embankment, and to definitely not turn our back to the ocean. It was pretty nuts how high the surf was.

Where was this? 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Who are the fucking dumbasses who don't know waves come in sets?

You just got hit by one big wave.  Odds are, it's not a fucking one-off.  Get the fuck moving to high ground, and pronto.

How we became the dominant species on this planet remains a mystery.

It took a very, very long time.