Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 12/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, Brew said:

My Dad sent these to me out of the blue today for some random reason. This is what happens to a 92 Camaro when you hit a tree at an excessively high rate of speed. Somehow my 18 year old self didn’t end up dead.b4a1d6dc872c2a9bd3c6c9e4eb46daa0.jpg22a70ce2b6b44e652347775f710b051a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars 
Oak tree you're in my way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The lower part of Porcupine Rim Trail near Moab, UT features a few approximately 2 ft wide sections alongside a 300 ft cliff, right before the trail meets the Colorado River. It's got some technical parts that require the rider's attention, putting the potential risks on the back burner of one's mind.

One of the most beautiful, yet also very dangerous trails is a 6.5 km long section of the Sentiero della Pace (Peace Trail), called Strada delle Cinquantadue Gallerie (Road of 52 Tunnels), at Monte Pasubio in Trentino, Italy. It was built by the Italian military during WWI as a bastion in the Alpine battle against the Austrian-Hungarian army.

hKGMTpay_o.jpg

The 52 tunnels stretch somewhere from 10 meters (33 ft) to 318 meters (1043 ft) in length, with the narrow trail winding alongside the rugged cliff.

mMZEs94F_o.jpg

Due to frequent deadly accidents, mountain biking on the 52 tunnel section has been prohibited for over ten years now. Hikers are still allowed, though.

XwNyihRk_o.jpg

Not only are most of the tunnels pitch-black inside, with low-hanging sharp-edged ceilings, there are also numerous deceptive "false" exits, with the edge of the cliff right behind it.

OziUkCFc_o.jpg

Despite good headlights on a bike, one's eyes will take their time to adjust to the darkness, while riding towards the light of a supposed exit. The moment one realizes the mistake, it's already too late. In the picture below, riders will be drawn towards the light when they should be turning right.

vOQAXrla_o.jpg

The openings used to be firing positions for the Italian artillery.

lDilcNqB_o.jpg

A few exits see the trail turn abruptly, also leaving no chance to those who ride carelessly into the broad light at the end of the tunnel.

R9kHjIy6_o.jpg

I rode the trail a few times before it was closed for mountain biking. It's a lot of fun with breathtaking views, but utmost attention is required at any moment. The frequently occurring deadly accidents had been a hot topic within the MTB community for years. Finally, after another mountain biker had met his maker 1000 ft. below the rim, Italian authorities allowed only hikers from there on.

Once in a while there will be MTB enthusiasts, who lift their bikes over the barriers, in order to ride the trail illegally. During summer, somewhere around 3.45 am, right after dawn and on a weekday. The views at sunrise are stunning and the air is fresh, so I've heard. But one will go to jail and pay through one's nose when caught. Therefore, it's not worth the risk, especially since one will be in kind of an inadvertent rush in order to avoid the carabinieri. But I'd always recommend hiking, like these Italian guys did...

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 11:32 AM, honolulu horn said:

The New Year's fireworks in Honolulu are crazy. Keep in mind this is just regular people across the city shooting off their personal collections of fireworks.

I can't figure out how to embed the videos here. The short video (the one with the palm tree in the foreground) is nuts, but if you start the other video at around 18:00 (the "live stream") you'll see the real deal.

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/illegal-aerials-ring-in-2019-with-multiple-injuries-and-fires/1682755386

Found a different video of the same scene. Again, all of these are just personal fireworks shot off by residents. It's like this all over Oahu on New Years:

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

From my memory the Prothro injury was really when they stopped replaying them constantly.  Recently they have started again but not during the game and never on sportscenter without massive spoiler tags before showing.

That one is embedded in my mind. Makes me cringe thinking about it.