Your kids and weed

Sandman

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yea,  tell the kid to do the research.   It's not harmless, and there's a reason there are dumb asses waking around all over the place.   In the other hand I knew a guy who smoked almost every day during college,  and graduated with like a 3.8 in EE.   

I had a guy in my freshman dorm who graduated with a 4.0.  He literally did nothing but study and smoke out.  

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

Shitty update: My dumbass kid didn't learn anything and was busted toking up at school. WTF. I'm more embarassed than mad but I'm still pretty upset about it.

I'm telling myself that it's not the end of the world, that there's lots of parents dealing with this, frankly dealing with much, much worse. It doesn't help me very much. Her dopehead mother isn't exactly clutching her pearls. I'm worried she's gonna be excited to maybe find a weed buddy. FML.

She will be alright.  I can't even fully account some of the stupid shit we use to smoke and I turned out fine. 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:21 AM, Spankytoes said:

We’ll settle for a swimsuit photo. That’s a fair compromise.

I busted my son drinking and driving home from Applebee’s a few months ago. He lives in our TX house by himself where he knows that we are OK with drinking at the house but won’t buy it for him. The cardinal rule is that he NEVER drives nor does anyone else that partakes. Didn’t make a difference. Kids are going to be kids.

Good luck 

Should have grounded his ass for going to Applebee’s 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

Waking up at 6:00 AM on a Saturday is a sign that you are criminally insane. 

Bernard

You know, there was a time in my life I’d agree with you. But I actually prefer to get up early on the weekends now. I have time to get shit done and still play golf, go fishing, or do stuff with the kids.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think it's every fathers duty to inflict strong and sometimes harsh life lessons upon their sons. And if they can have some good, clean, sadistic fun while doing it.. that's just a win win all day long.

Last summer my son spent the weekend with some football friends at the lake. Younger son narcs on older son that he saw them advertising that they were throwing a house party on Instagram. Wife calls up older son and goes over a list of forbidden things to do such as no driving, boating, ski boats, entering the water, raw doging, etc... He promises to be safe. Also he must be home no later than 8 AM Sunday morning.

Sunday morning he walks in looking like shit with sunburn.  Shortly after his arrival he was instructed to grab some tree loppers, saw and an axe. The day before me and my other son pulled up a patch of small cedar and left them there for older brother to clean up.

Hangover son: "why can't we use a chainsaw?"

Me: "You know how your mom is about y'all using a chainsaw."

Hangover son: "Can you...

Me: "No, I am here just to supervise, besides I need to go over some financial stuff online right now but I'll be outside."

I sit down on a chair in the shade with a tablet and proceed to post on surly while the boy sweats out the previous days alcohol.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ugh that sucks because it demonstrates a pretty severe lack of judgment.

One reason MJ was considered a gateway drug is that one has to enter drug dealer culture to obtain it.  I understand that today and for some years now, most MJ dealers are strictly ganj.  Back in my day, drug dealers were a one-stop shop and had a tendency to upsell.  And once you are making those transactions, not much to stop you from trying something a little stronger.

I despised dealer culture, and that was one of the biggest reasons I turned off weed in college.  If I had to go spend time with people I didn't like to get something, it wasn't worth getting.

But I think one of the benefits of legalization is that this particular negative aspect of weed use is going away.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, housious said:

You know, there was a time in my life I’d agree with you. But I actually prefer to get up early on the weekends now. I have time to get shit done and still play golf, go fishing, or do stuff with the kids.

I can't sleep past 7AM.  Even in the rare instance where I'm out until 2AM.

16 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Now this is Panda, from Mexico. Very good stuff. This is Bava, different, but equally good. And this is Choco from the Hartz Mountains of Germany. Now the first two are the same, forty- five an ounce – those are friend prices – but this one...  ...this one's a little more expensive. It's fifty-five. But when you shoot it, you'll know where that extra money went. Nothing wrong with the first two. It's real, real, real, good shit. But this one's a fuckin' madman.

Give me three hundred worth of the
madman. If it's as good as you
say, I'll be back for a thousand.

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One reason MJ was considered a gateway drug is that one has to enter drug dealer culture to obtain it.  I understand that today and for some years now, most MJ dealers are strictly ganj.  Back in my day, drug dealers were a one-stop shop and had a tendency to upsell.  And once you are making those transactions, not much to stop you from trying something a little stronger.

This is a fairly dramatic take, and has not been my experience at all. Drug dealers don't have to upsell shit. They're not used car salesmen. The drugs sell themselves. They may let you know that a mushroom crop has come in if they think you'd be interested, but they're not pushing crack cocaine on high school kids that come in for a bag of weed. 

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is a fairly dramatic take, and has not been my experience at all. Drug dealers don't have to upsell shit. They're not used car salesmen. The drugs sell themselves. They may let you know that a mushroom crop has come in if they think you'd be interested, but they're not pushing crack cocaine on high school kids that come in for a bag of weed. 

I don't think I've ever bought any drugs form a dealer. It's always been friend who got what we were looking for, course I'm a white suburbanite, you;re results may vary.  

I'll say it again, beer is the gateway drug always has been always will be.  Weed is what you found when you were hanging with your buds, and the older kids in the cul de sac, drinking beer or liquor.

IMO dealers stay on their lane. Pill guys sell pills, weed guys sell weed, coke Boyle sell coke but usually have weed, the crack and heroin shit is gonna be at the trap usually, you don't find alot of guys that have an O of weed, an 8 ball of coke and then heroin in his pocket

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

IMO dealers stay on their lane. Pill guys sell pills, weed guys sell weed, coke Boyle sell coke but usually have weed, the crack and heroin shit is gonna be at the trap usually, you don't find alot of guys that have an O of weed, an 8 ball of coke and then heroin in his pocket

Those are serious capitolists.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

shit everyone sells weed

Oh yeah, if you find out your kids are fucking with xanax slap them upside the head

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

30 plus years ago it was a one stop shop more or less.  Weed dealers tended to at least have pills if not coke. Always seemed like the high school and most college kids dealt with a same-age middleman, but the real dealer had it all and sometimes consigned pills or coke to the middleman to test the market. Discounting the DIY grower/dealer, which wasn't that common. Weed was still largely imported back then and by the usual suspects. 

You guys are a bunch of whippersnappers. More than a few suburbanite SMU frat boys (Texas too I am sure) got themselves in frightening jams with some pretty scary motherfuckers over drugs and "consignment" type situations back in the 80s. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

30 plus years ago it was a one stop shop more or less.  Weed dealers tended to at least have pills if not coke. Always seemed like the high school and most college kids dealt with a same-age middleman, but the real dealer had it all and sometimes consigned pills or coke to the middleman to test the market. Discounting the DIY grower/dealer, which wasn't that common. Weed was still largely imported back then and by the usual suspects. 

You guys are a bunch of whippersnappers. More than a few suburbanite SMU frat boys (Texas too I am sure) got themselves in frightening jams with some pretty scary motherfuckers over drugs and "consignment" type situations back in the 80s. 

Where did you live ?  That has never been my experience with buying recreational drugs.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:26 PM, Sandman said:

Shitty update: My dumbass kid didn't learn anything and was busted toking up at school. WTF. I'm more embarassed than mad but I'm still pretty upset about it.

I'm telling myself that it's not the end of the world, that there's lots of parents dealing with this, frankly dealing with much, much worse. It doesn't help me very much. Her dopehead mother isn't exactly clutching her pearls. I'm worried she's gonna be excited to maybe find a weed buddy. FML.

@SandmanI smoked a shit ton of weed in high school. Fortunately never ran into any legal issues or got caught at school (then again I didn't actually smoke at school but spent most of my senior year high at school).

First, your daughter isn't a dumbass. She's 17. Every 17 year old is a dumbass in one way or another. 

Second, what consequences is she facing? Is it a school suspension type situation without legal charges? If that's the case I'd just make sure she learns from her mistake. That doesn't necessarily mean bringing the hammer down, but just making it clear that weed is still illegal (in this state, or in any state at her age) and if she makes the decision to toke then she needs to understand the potential consequences. 

I've been through a lot of shit - most of it in college - but nipping it in the bud is the best you can hope for (no stupid pun intended). Tough that her mom is a smoker - but seems like her mom/your wife should at least understand the ramifications she might face if the trend continues (I don't like how much weed I smoked in high school - I'd really caution against enabling that or letting it slide). I'd hope it doesn't hurt her chance at getting into school where she wants, but one mistake at 17 tends to be pretty forgivable if she can shape up and take it as a life lesson. 

Not trying to inject myself into your family dynamic (or give parenting advice), but I am recently out of the woods on all of my various high-school, college issues with the cops/administration so I feel like I have a decent perspective here. 

Your daughter doesn't have to be a burn-out because she got popped at school, but that isn't a great first step and you would hope it doesn't turn into a trend. A better head on her shoulders and a good work ethic and this can hopefully be a one-time thing that ends up being a relic of the past. There are a lot of things like this that I have successfully put behind me (well, if you really want to get into it, I've done much worse shit).

It ain't going to help her admissions process - I'll tell you that much (highly doubt she doesn't have to disclose this one on applications) but it might not be that damning considering the current environment - especially depending on which schools she might look at. Some schools might see it as damning, some schools might brush it off. 

Definitely feel free to PM me. I did a lot of SAT/ACT tutoring while I was in college (1550/1600 SAT and 710/800 on the GMAT) as well as giving general advice for getting through admissions (i.e. essays, how to present yourself, what helps/what hurts). I've helped dozens of kids with their scores on tests and written letters of rec to get young-ins into selective high schools.

If you're worried about her potential opportunities post high-school graduation I can give you a lot of pretty sound advice. And not looking for compensation at all, happy to help or answer any questions for a fellow Surly'er.

Cheers

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

@SandmanI smoked a shit ton of weed in high school. Fortunately never ran into any legal issues or got caught at school (then again I didn't actually smoke at school but spent most of my senior year high at school).

First, your daughter isn't a dumbass. She's 17. Every 17 year old is a dumbass in one way or another. 

Second, what consequences is she facing? Is it a school suspension type situation without legal charges? If that's the case I'd just make sure she learns from her mistake. That doesn't necessarily mean bringing the hammer down, but just making it clear that weed is still illegal (in this state, or in any state at her age) and if she makes the decision to toke then she needs to understand the potential consequences. 

I've been through a lot of shit - most of it in college - but nipping it in the bud is the best you can hope for (no stupid pun intended). Tough that her mom is a smoker - but seems like her mom/your wife should at least understand the ramifications she might face if the trend continues (I don't like how much weed I smoked in high school - I'd really caution against enabling that or letting it slide). I'd hope it doesn't hurt her chance at getting into school where she wants, but one mistake at 17 tends to be pretty forgivable if she can shape up and take it as a life lesson. 

Not trying to inject myself into your family dynamic (or give parenting advice), but I am recently out of the woods on all of my various high-school, college issues with the cops/administration so I feel like I have a decent perspective here. 

Your daughter doesn't have to be a burn-out because she got popped at school, but that isn't a great first step and you would hope it doesn't turn into a trend. A better head on her shoulders and a good work ethic and this can hopefully be a one-time thing that ends up being a relic of the past. There are a lot of things like this that I have successfully put behind me (well, if you really want to get into it, I've done much worse shit).

It ain't going to help her admissions process - I'll tell you that much (highly doubt she doesn't have to disclose this one on applications) but it might not be that damning considering the current environment - especially depending on which schools she might look at. Some schools might see it as damning, some schools might brush it off. 

Definitely feel free to PM me. I did a lot of SAT/ACT tutoring while I was in college (1550/1600 SAT and 710/800 on the GMAT) as well as giving general advice for getting through admissions (i.e. essays, how to present yourself, what helps/what hurts). I've helped dozens of kids with their scores on tests and written letters of rec to get young-ins into selective high schools.

If you're worried about her potential opportunities post high-school graduation I can give you a lot of pretty sound advice. And not looking for compensation at all, happy to help or answer any questions for a fellow Surly'er.

Cheers

https://giphy.com/gifs/saturday-night-live-chris-farley-down-by-the-river-n7Nwr10hWzROE

On 1/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Drug dealers were the #1 reason I always stayed away from drugs as a kid. Those fuckers were viciously jumping any "late-payers", committing armed burglaries against rivals,  breaking into cars, selling guns, selling pills and heroin, etc. 14 or 15 years old some of them. Many were gang members too, always trying to prove how tough they were. Pulling guns or knives on people for $20 worth of weed sometimes. So stupid. That was my experience both in the valley and San Antonio, although the SA kids were way quicker to violence. The valley dealers were mostly kids that actually were poor and dumb as fuck with no future, getting criminal habits through family or bad life choices. The SA ones had no reason to be dealing usually, and were just wannabes trying to act like they were in the ghetto. I think that's why they were more dangerous. I'm sure there were some chill dealers I just didn't know about, but I wasn't about to go search for them. 

From what I hear drug dealers in white suburbia are a little different. I'm glad I didn't grow up in that world though, maybe I wouldn't have been so scared to seek drugs out and I could've developed a habit. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

City or suburbs thereof ?  That would be a factor in my opinion.The more city the more potential for actual drug dealers 

Burbs. Thing was, though, the "city" was only one or two degrees of separation from the the whitest of pot or ecstasy transactions. 

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too worried about everything as this point. She's a good student and has a plan for college and her career, which is more than I can say for myself at that age. She left campus with a friend to toke up in a neighborhood behind the school (dumb). I guess this is a common thing for kids because a resident called the cops to complain. Cops showed up as they were leaving, followed them to the school. She got 3 tickets, which is my main concern. Living in an extremely conservative state, you never know what penalty a judge might lay down on you.

We’ll settle for a swimsuit photo. That’s a fair compromise.
I busted my son drinking and driving home from Applebee’s a few months ago. He lives in our TX house by himself where he knows that we are OK with drinking at the house but won’t buy it for him. The cardinal rule is that he NEVER drives nor does anyone else that partakes. Didn’t make a difference. Kids are going to be kids.
Good luck 
Applebees?

Mother of god!

In a vacuum, weed is less of a concern than alcohol.  But I can't fit in a vacuum and neither can most kids.

My concern with weed and kids isn't consumption but acquisition.  Shopping the illegal black market means risk.  Counsel your kid to shop locally from people they know well and trust.  When they're 21 they can buy legally in many states, at which point there's no question that weed is a safer choice.

My oldest (now 30) used to hit the weed pretty hard in in HS and college (UT-Austin-music major).  Things got out of control in college with study/sleep drugs and we had to have a come to Jesus meeting.  He took it to extremes and quit the alcohol as well.  But I can tell he was in a bad place mentally with the other non-weed stuff.

Makes me worry about my two youngest boys who are 11 and 12.  All good now but they are competitive rock climbers and their other favorite pastimes disc golf and skateboarding...and they also used to both play guitar.  They seem to have addictive personalities if Fortnight play is any indication.  I might be in for a rough ride.

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

My oldest (now 30) used to hit the weed pretty hard in in HS and college (UT-Austin-music major).  Things got out of control in college with study/sleep drugs and we had to have a come to Jesus meeting.  He took it to extremes and quit the alcohol as well.  But I can tell he was in a bad place mentally with the other non-weed stuff.

Makes me worry about my two youngest boys who are 11 and 12.  All good now but they are competitive rock climbers and their other favorite pastimes disc golf and skateboarding...and they also used to both play guitar.  They seem to have addictive personalities if Fortnight play is any indication.  I might be in for a rough ride.

Yeah Future Stoners ofAmerica right there....  just tell em to not Bogart...please.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's the "competitive" part that blew my mind.  They have competitions/leagues for pre-teen rock climbers?

Yes they do.  All competitions are indoors.  The youngest just qualified for the national bouldering competition to be held up in Bend, Oregon  next month.  Other one just missed out, but he has been to the national competition in bouldering and in ropes (tall walls).  Those kids can do some amazing things.

We climb outdoors at Reimers a lot, and last year we did a family spring break trip to Red River Gorge in Kentucky.  In the summer, when Lake Travis is right, I take them out there to do deep water solo climbing.

BTW, I suck at rock climbing, but I try.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yes they do.  All competitions are indoors.  The youngest just qualified for the national bouldering competition to be held up in Bend, Oregon  next month.  Other one just missed out, but he has been to the national competition in bouldering and in ropes (tall walls).  Those kids can do some amazing things.

We climb outdoors at Reimers a lot, and last year we did a family spring break trip to Red River Gorge in Kentucky.  In the summer, when Lake Travis is right, I take them out there to do deep water solo climbing.

BTW, I suck at rock climbing, but I try.

Love the family vibe ya got going With that.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Love the family vibe ya got going With that.

Yeah, we are pretty into it.  Its not all family trips outdoors and Norman Rockwell stuff.  Lotta travel to Dallas and Houston for comps and clinics and training up to 6 day a week.  Me and mamma are there climbing in the gym most of the time although we are just doing our own lame old people climbing thing.  It reminds me a lot of what I have seen the families with gymnasts do, except at least with climbing there are some things the adults can still do if they are in reasonable shape.

I have seen some absolutely astounding young climbers.  The good ones are so good that you pretty much know you kid is never going to be good enough to really contend at a national level.  But we reason that we are giving them a chance to get really good at a young age and have a sport they can do for the rest of their lives, share with their families if they ever have any, and afford them an opportunity to get off the grid and go explore some places that only a few people visit.  Hey it beats Disney World by a mile. 

• Like 3