Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

@6th StreetWhich is it, zero chance he’s fired during the season or they have the money and he’s going to be fired soon? I don’t follow. 

Unless you think they redeem themselves this year there is no point in waiting and letting recruiting suffer.

Bro I literally just copied and pasted stuff for everyone to see. I have no idea 

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

How about you just want to go hire Urban because Herman is a shitshow monkey boy and you think Urban is one of the top 3 college football coaches of the last 20 years.  What's with the "rub it in the other booster group's face shit". If the underlying reasoning is really that then oooh boy are we fucked.

I guess the culture starts with the boosters...

5 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Urban or fuck all.   Do it.  stop with the pussiness.

If you want to win, you do everything it takes to win. You don't compromise on who your coach is.

Has Urban broken any laws that I'm unaware of? The NCAA is garbage, so I couldn't care less about their rules.

I have clients who work at companies that forbid accepting gifts from vendors. So I send their gifts to their houses. Am I cheating? Well, I'm not breaking any laws, and I've never had a client return the gift. And I couldn't care less about their company policies because most are a bunch of pussified organizations. One has a Director of Empathy. Seriously.

UT needs a Director of Get Your Shit Together Or GTFO. In other words, UT needs Urban.

Edited by Born Burnt
CJK5H
  • Hook 'Em 3

I said 4 years ago I never wanted Herman to be hired.. He was an unproven coach. He coached in the aac. Did I celebrate when we won? Well of course I did. What Texas fan didn’t? But you can ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you yeah he told us it was a bad Hire by Texas. I think most season ticket holders like me were expecting prices to increase due to the new stadium.. Chris Del Conte now really has no justification for a price increase due to the product being put on the field.

37 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This dude has been on point 

talk has been that the dallas boosters r prepping because they want to throw it in the houston boosters face for failing with the herman hire

0 chance he is fired during the season barring a kansas like disaster 
the dallas booster want urban if they have to settle it will be fleck or campbell with patterson being an outside  option

rumors starting to fly that the donors have the money ready & herman is going to get fired soon

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283277&page=126

Get it done!

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/sunday-152806972/

In case yah missed this from Bobby Burton (247) early this morning:

SUNDAY

I’ve rewatched the game and I’ve slept on it overnight.

Tom Herman must go. He should be fired.

His team, specifically his side of the ball, was not prepared on Saturday. The offense looked absolutely aimless for large parts of the game for the third consecutive conference game.

The only thing that kept Texas in the game was a defense that played hard against a young quarterback who was overwhelmed early in the contest.

It’s important to note that I do not ascribe the problems to the defense that some will. They are not perfect and I think could play better at times. But I feel like we’ve largely entered a new age of football, one where Alabama, possibly the most talented defense in the country, gave up 48 points to a low-level SEC team last night and still won by two TDs.

The problems are on the offense more than the defense. But it’s more than that, much more.

A coach’s job is to prepare his team to play to its best ability, to maximize what his team has. Does anyone think we’ve seen anything resembling that in the last two years?

Instead, I see a team that makes mental mistakes that are beyond the pale.

And the coach says he doesn’t believe in momentum, that it’s hard to win, that the players aren’t doing what the coaches are teaching them - not that the coaches need to teach better.

Add it all up, and I see a coach who tries to hold others accountable but not himself or his staff.

So when do I think Herman should be relieved of his duties as head coach?

Today.

I’m a proponent of making the right move as soon as you know it’s the right move. It serves no purpose to let decisions like this linger.

But if not today, he needs to coach every single minute of every single day like his career depends on it. Because that sort of urgency has been dreadfully lacking from him and his team. The utter lack of urgency on Saturday was nothing short of embarrassing.

If Herman is given more time, which is likely, then either Texas fans should see a new team emerge in two weeks, or Herman just doesn’t get it. Or if he does get it, he clearly can’t convey the message to his team to elicit the type of football that Texas fans want and the athletic department pays him handsomely for.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’d like to see Bienemy considered but doubt he’s looking for a college job.

At least 3 NFL teams will take serious looks at him and he's already the #1 choice for Deshaun Watson so I would not be surprised for the Texans' management to do what the star says. 

If you're gonna fire him, do it now. There's no sense in waiting if he has lost the locker room. This will give the interim guy two weeks to prepare for Baylor? (shows how much I give a fuck bout the season at this point). The longer you keep him around.. The more he drives it into the ground. Simple really. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/sunday-152806972/

In case yah missed this from Bobby Burton (247) early this morning:

SUNDAY

I’ve rewatched the game and I’ve slept on it overnight.

Tom Herman must go. He should be fired.

His team, specifically his side of the ball, was not prepared on Saturday. The offense looked absolutely aimless for large parts of the game for the third consecutive conference game.

The only thing that kept Texas in the game was a defense that played hard against a young quarterback who was overwhelmed early in the contest.

It’s important to note that I do not ascribe the problems to the defense that some will. They are not perfect and I think could play better at times. But I feel like we’ve largely entered a new age of football, one where Alabama, possibly the most talented defense in the country, gave up 48 points to a low-level SEC team last night and still won by two TDs.

The problems are on the offense more than the defense. But it’s more than that, much more.

A coach’s job is to prepare his team to play to its best ability, to maximize what his team has. Does anyone think we’ve seen anything resembling that in the last two years?

Instead, I see a team that makes mental mistakes that are beyond the pale.

And the coach says he doesn’t believe in momentum, that it’s hard to win, that the players aren’t doing what the coaches are teaching them - not that the coaches need to teach better.

Add it all up, and I see a coach who tries to hold others accountable but not himself or his staff.

So when do I think Herman should be relieved of his duties as head coach?

Today.

I’m a proponent of making the right move as soon as you know it’s the right move. It serves no purpose to let decisions like this linger.

But if not today, he needs to coach every single minute of every single day like his career depends on it. Because that sort of urgency has been dreadfully lacking from him and his team. The utter lack of urgency on Saturday was nothing short of embarrassing.

If Herman is given more time, which is likely, then either Texas fans should see a new team emerge in two weeks, or Herman just doesn’t get it. Or if he does get it, he clearly can’t convey the message to his team to elicit the type of football that Texas fans want and the athletic department pays him handsomely for.

Winning is hard. This guy gets Toms Bullshit. 

As much as I want to see us win out, I’d be prepared to lose out and take the wrath of my aggy friends to flush Tom and his era down the toilet and start new in December.  If that means losing every damn game on our schedule and humiliating Charlie Strong like loss to Kansas, so be it.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

8 minutes ago, Texas7 said:

I said 4 years ago I never wanted Herman to be hired.. He was an unproven coach. He coached in the aac. Did I celebrate when we won? Well of course I did. What Texas fan didn’t? But you can ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you yeah he told us it was a bad Hire by Texas. I think most season ticket holders like me were expecting prices to increase due to the new stadium.. Chris Del Conte now really has no justification for a price increase due to the product being put on the field.

give+cookie.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Neither Campbell nor Fleck are ready to handle the TEXAS job.  Can't make that kind of mistake again...

I agree.  Neither of those guys move the needle.  Go get Urban, or maybe try for UW Coach, Peterson. But the timing is perfect, Urban is out of a job and there for the taking.  

12 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’d like to see Bienemy considered but doubt he’s looking for a college job.

You know, that would be a very non traditional choice and outside of Urban I would support it. I think Bienemy is going to be a star HC, but you may be right and he wants nothing to do with the college game anymore.

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

I agree.  Neither of those guys move the needle.  Go get Urban, or maybe try for UW Coach, Peterson. But the timing is perfect, Urban is out of a job and there for the taking.  

Urban saves what good recruiting work that has been done and if anything will give it a further boost.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Neither Campbell nor Fleck are ready to handle the TEXAS job.  Can't make that kind of mistake again...

I would take Campbell over a lot of the other options people are throwing out. Campbell is probably going to win the Big 12 this year. At Iowa State. He's proven he can beat OU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Or how about we finally get rid of the outside factors that seem to make this job so difficult. 

Lulz, then we'd never have the money needed to jettison Tom and get Urban. The outside factors are the meddling boosters that crave access over winning.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

I would take Campbell over a lot of the other options people are throwing out. Campbell is probably going to win the Big 12 this year. At Iowa State. He's proven he can beat OU.

No thanks. Campbell pokes his head up to upset somebody and then goes and loses to teams he shouldn't.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, then we'd never have the money needed to jettison Tom and get Urban. The outside factors are the meddling boosters.

There are meddling boosters at every school. One of the big outside factors is the LHN. Get rid of it and all the stupid shit they make everyone do. It’s like living with your mother-in-law. You’re never comfortable and you’re not the best version of yourself because you can’t fucking relax in your own home. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, then we'd never have the money needed to jettison Tom and get Urban. The outside factors are the meddling boosters that crave access over winning.

Every school has that. Do we have more and are they more entitled? Probably, but we always hear how difficult it is here and how it’s a different job so change it. Whatever Bama and Georgia and OSU and OU and Florida are doing...try that. 

Just now, 4th&Five said:

Or how about we finally get rid of the outside factors that seem to make this job so difficult. 

Those types went out and got Saban.  Of course we know how MB fucked that up.  To a degree, you need the resources our Alumni base provides, ie capitol, planes, law firms etc..to make this happen.  It doesn't get done without "outside factors".  School like Texas should be winning and you need a proven winner at the P5 level to do it, unless you have built in coordinators ready to go like at tOSU and OU.  UGA and Tenn may be got their guys without experience, but they did come from Saban's culture.

While the consensus is that Meyer would only stick around for 5-7 years. Wouldn't be shocked in the least if he stuck around longer. I'd be okay with it, hopefully that means a dynasty type run and steps down when he knows it's time and rides off into the sunset placing his name up there with DKR. That's a perfect world scenario though. Let me dream damn it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I think Herman should go and soon. Burton is on point until the sort of shit above. It's like Aggies talking about their team having swagger. It's stupid.

We started the game by blowing up their offense and then Ingram busting a big run. It looked like we were going to run them until the ball sprang from Ingram's hands. We looked ready to take command. Then the usual shit started happening, but we showed enough urgency to tie the game at the end. 

I said in another thread that I don't know how to interpret the team not singing the alma mater. I do think most people are bending it to their individual pre-conceptions. Same thing goes with ascribing emotional reasons to poor performance. 

I think Herman is coaching like his job depends on it. If I were named to the Olympic boxing team, I'd train like my life depended on it. I'd still get killed because I'm too old and don't know how to box. I'm not up to that job no matter how emotionally dedicated I am. The evidence is pretty clear that Herman isn't up to this job.

Further, the team isn't up to the job of winning even though we can be sure there is talent on the roster. I don't think they're unique in emotional make-up. I think they have been ill-led by their coaches in the past and inadequately led this year (for whatever reasons) by the current staff.

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Well at least they have wins coaching power 5 schools before they’d ever come here. Regardless, I don’t think either would want to. Just doesn’t seem in keeping with their career paths.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas