Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Otter said:

A few people on here made reference to an interview Herman did while he was still in Houston, so I got curious and searched for it. Holy hell is it embarrassing. While listening to it I was utterly speechless at how incredibly juvenile and petty he comes across. Who talks to sports media this way? Did anyone at all do any due diligence before hiring this clown?

It's 20 minutes long and I promise worth every minute. Don't just read this article, listen to the interview all the way to the end because he closes with a doozy, and like me, you'll be floored that somebody thought it was a good idea to make this titty baby the Head Coach of The University of Texas football team.

I can't believe I was stupid enough to buy all the hype.

https://thebiglead.com/2016/01/06/tom-herman-called-into-houston-radio-to-yell-at-hosts/

He has some Lane Kiffin in him for sure.  Not 100% done with Herman, but don’t have any hopes he’s gonna make it happen

On 9/3/2018 at 1:55 PM, Nicole44 said:

Yeah, his denials are pretty thin.  To be this self proclaimed Mensa and then supposedly not know what "smell test" means, that's kind of stretching it.  Same for his argument that he just asked for facts when he asked Nick if he were what? 19? 

You just have to wonder how that plays with his staff, his players, the parents after a bit. 

I never felt CS was conning us.  I think he just got into something over his head, and was hoping the answers would start to fall into place. 

With Herman, I get this con vibe.  The first it really came up was during the Horny hiring.  The binder with all the smart answers. 

Then you throw in the bling on top of it, the grill, the bat, the sledge hammer, it gets a little too Harbaugh-esque for me.  You just don't do that shit, raise people expectations before you prove you can meet them.  That always backfires.  So far the only thing he has done that I really think is great are the facility upgrades.  Plus, it does seem the kids aren't getting into so much trouble off the field.  Some of that might be attributable to his 'family' atmosphere he is going for. 

Like in another thread, I think he is trying too hard in the wrong directions.  Maybe some of it is to connect with recruits, the kids, or fans.  I don't know.  But I do know making competent coaching decisions will go a lot further than the bling and gimmicks in the long haul. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
don't know why i can't get rid of the empty quote box.

59 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Saban is an asshole the way that folks with obsessive compulsive personalities are assholes. He's hard on people, difficult to please, and rages at imperfections. But he's also self critical -- he's probably harder on himself than he is on his staff and players. Think about it, as much as he's actually won, he's still displeased.

Herman is an asshole the way that narcissists are assholes. He builds a cult of personality around himself (i.e. "mensa"), and attacks anyone who threatens that image. When he's cornered, he'll reach deep in his back of narcissist tricks, like demeaning people.

They couldn't be more different, IMO.

And Saban's not afraid to make changes.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You know if Herman was winning that link of the interview would bring the lulllzz and he would be a dick like nick saban is. But when you lose to Maryland twice and barely beat fucking Tulsa and say “guys winning games is really hard ok” then you are just a dick. I’d love for Herman to be the douche bag that wins big games and grabs his nuts and makes fun of aggy but right now he’s just a dick that sucks at coaching.

Bingo

1 hour ago, elnimo said:

I look at our next hire like buying a car or house.  I don't want to have to buy a car or house when I have a gun to my head timing wise.  I'll get a better deal if I am patient and evaluate all options and time my purchase right.  We did rushed to hire Strong and again  Herman.  These are our results.  

In that vein, I'd rather keep Herman and force him to fix his staffing problems (or fix them for him), rather than dumping him ala Strong and going after some other scrub because we have to.  CDC can use that time to look for the right person to take over.  If Tom isn't the right guy, it's not like keeping him around another year is any worse that rushing to hire the next coaching sensation and getting fucked again because we rushed and made a poor decision.  At least we'd be getting something (albeit shitty coaching) for the money we would have paid him to sit on his ass or coach FCS.

Hindsight, we might have been better served hanging on to the Mack train for a few more years until the right guy was found.  It's not like we were any worse in the interim.

As an aside, what scares me is that Herman has sidelined Beck and is calling plays himself and we suck this bad.  That means we are in for a longer wilderness journey that any of us really want.

Yo start talking to agents mid season or before and have your guy locked up before the final game of the season.  

I was never for this hire because of the myriad of similarities between him and CS, so many it's like a carbon copy and even more so after he was hired.   And I was against the CS hire because this job is like running GE and you don't hire the guy who manages the lightbulb shop to take over a massive corporation.  But we did, and I rooted for the team none the less, and here we are.  

I felt sorry for CS even though he made millions, because he was so in over his head and you could tell that money aside he was like "wtf have I got myself into?"  Herman garners no sympathy, he's so thin skinned and inscecure.   He will blame everyone but himself, he blames the players every week.  

• Like 2

while I'm usually opposed to a 2 QB system in this case i think it might work if Herman is as Mensa as he thinks he is. for the life of me I don't know why Shane doesn't get a drive or 2.  The have different skill sets so you can keep a defense on their heels a bit.

you can also ride the hot hand in the 4Q or at least have your better passer ready to go if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Yo start talking to agents mid season or before and have your guy locked up before the final game of the season.  

I was never for this hire because of the myriad of similarities between him and CS, so many it's like a carbon copy and even more so after he was hired.   And I was against the CS hire because this job is like running GE and you don't hire the guy who manages the lightbulb shop to take over a massive corporation.  But we did, and I rooted for the team none the less, and here we are.  

I felt sorry for CS even though he made millions, because he was so in over his head and you could tell that money aside he was like "wtf have I got myself into?"  Herman garners no sympathy, he's so thin skinned and inscecure.   He will blame everyone but himself, he blames the players every week.  

Yeah, since the existence or division between P5 and the rest of FBS, it seems that the challenges posed by the money floating around in P5 schools and the attendant media attention, scrutiny, and other BS make it nearly mandatory that future HFC at Texas have some P5 or really long-term (5+ years) winning at non-P5 schools.

I didn't appreciate this when Strong was hired, but I think it is that fact as much as any personal failure by Charlie, that doomed him.  Looks like Herman too.  And not all that many new, non-P5 coaches or even P5 assistants are exactly lighting it up lately (Fuente, L Riley, but he was anointed from within).  Also, I kind of think insisting on a prior championship may be dumb, too.  Not many repeat at more than one school, and you raise the chances of hiring a burn-out or soon-to-be burnout (Fisher).

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

while I'm usually opposed to a 2 QB system in this case i think it might work if Herman is as Mensa as he thinks he is. for the life of me I don't know why Shane doesn't get a drive or 2.  The have different skill sets so you can keep a defense on their heels a bit.

you can also ride the hot hand in the 4Q or at least have your better passer ready to go if needed.

Agreed, but at this point... I'm telling myself that the reason he hasn't done it is for the same reason our offense looked terrible these past two games. It is some brilliant mensa strategy to make us look bad and he is going to unleash thunder and lightning this week against USC. Everything that we have been seeing this year is smoke and we will witness a dynamic offense and energetic 2 QB combo for the Trojans on Saturday. I think I need to start drinking again.

1 minute ago, Dark Horse said:

Uh, there’s only four current coaches with a championship unless we’re talking conference. 

Exactly.  Saban will be a burnout before long.  Maybe Dabo too.  Who knows with Meyer.  And so on and so forth.

There could, theoretically, be two more MNC champion coaches before we get around to replacing sperman.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

I didn't like the Herman hire either. I wanted a search. I think you increase your likelihood of getting a winner by getting a guy who could at least raise the profile of a low- to mid-tier P5. There are guys in the PAC and Big 12 who fit the bill, but Perrin decided the PR hit for one news cycle for potentially missing on Herman was worth risking another 3 years of the program to a guy who doesn't know what it takes to run and win in a P5 conference. Oh well, either Herman learns on the job fast or we are back to square one.

I hope Tom has been pointed to the back of the line, given the small piece of unsalted chicken and given no ice with his water.  You know cause only winners get the big pieces of steak and choice of desserts.  You know cause losing is contagious and deserves no praise in all facets of life.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lurch said:

Thanks for the bump.  I missed this idiocy the first time around.

Since you’re being a child and calling names in a way there are plenty of people on here that think you’re an idiot but I’m curious. You didn’t answer my question. Why is this thought “idiocy”? Plenty of people want him fired. What is the difference with this quote? Just answer the question.  No internet tough guy needed. Just answer the question thoughtfully. 

I'll answer.  First, it is generally believed that firing a coach prior to three years, maybe even four, is not giving that coach a complete shot to implement his program and recruits.  Some of that may be speculative, but the fact remains that coaches don't ordinarily sign contracts for any less than three years, and more typically five, for this precise reason.  It's a pretty bad look, even when justified (by other than off-field issues).

Second, firing coaches two games into the season is also regarded as reactionary and imprudent and it would be especially so when there aren't reasonable replacements on staff already (Orlando?  the offensive coaches would remain a shitshow).  It would be highly disruptive to recruiting, moreso than the traditional season-end firing.  FInally, it would be extremely difficult to initiate an interview process during the season, so no replacement will be forthcoming until after the season, anyway.  Again, a bad look, and likely guarantees that the season goes in the shitter and recruiting is fucked, whereas now it is a matter of educated speculation, but not a foregone conclusion.

Finally, firing based on the relative importance of our win and aggy's loss is just reactionary and dumb.  We have no idea whether Jimbo is going to be any good at aggy or not based on one game from an NC-caliber team so well known for inexplicable choking that there's a name for it ("Clempsoning").  We actually don't know where Herman will end up with Texas, either, although the signs currently are pretty grim.

We are most likely stuck with Herman this year and next.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

He's going to have the exact same situation as strong. After year 2, forced to eat crow and hire new OC bc year 3 is make or break. CDC is not going to F around, but he also is smart enough to know that a new OC could do wonders.

One almost wonders if it wouldn't have been better to have gotten beat by WVU or KSU last year, missed a bowl game and maybe forced Herman's hand to get a new OC last year.  Unfortunately a bowl win game him just enough rope to hang himself.

9 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

He's going to have the exact same situation as strong. After year 2, forced to eat crow and hire new OC bc year 3 is make or break. CDC is not going to F around, but he also is smart enough to know that a new OC could do wonders.

this will be interesting but it isn't the exact same situation.  I don't think Herman's ego will allow it. It's his "side" of the ball.  if DC was the problem I could see it.

Charlie didn't hire a new DC.  he demoted Bedford and took it over himself.  He hired a new OC because it wasn't his side of the ball.

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'll answer.  First, it is generally believed that firing a coach prior to three years, maybe even four, is not giving that coach a complete shot to implement his program and recruits.  Some of that may be speculative, but the fact remains that coaches don't ordinarily sign contracts for any less than three years, and more typically five, for this precise reason.  It's a pretty bad look, even when justified (by other than off-field issues).

Second, firing coaches two games into the season is also regarded as reactionary and imprudent and it would be especially so when there aren't reasonable replacements on staff already (Orlando?  the offensive coaches would remain a shitshow).  It would be highly disruptive to recruiting, moreso than the traditional season-end firing.  FInally, it would be extremely difficult to initiate an interview process during the season, so no replacement will be forthcoming until after the season, anyway.  Again, a bad look, and likely guarantees that the season goes in the shitter and recruiting is fucked, whereas now it is a matter of educated speculation, but not a foregone conclusion.

Finally, firing based on the relative importance of our win and aggy's loss is just reactionary and dumb.  We have no idea whether Jimbo is going to be any good at aggy or not based on one game from an NC-caliber team so well known for inexplicable choking that there's a name for it ("Clempsoning").  We actually don't know where Herman will end up with Texas, either, although the signs currently are pretty grim.

I think you misunderstood the point of the discussion of context. I do not think anyone suggests during our press conference we announce that A&M success lead to our decision but rather what the landscape looks like in the totality of the decision. You have to be completely obtuse to think the 75M investment into a Jimbo Fisher and his staff have not made things much more difficult for Texas. We simply do not have years to waste giving someone a predetermined timeline because custom dictates. That’s why coaches get guaranteed contracts. 

Yup, new OC won’t mean much. The offense stays the same because it’s Hermans offense, he told us as much.

Herman isn’t going to overnight change his philosophy on personnel decisions or offensive strategy. Play calling could improve if he does transition that to a new OC which will help, but again it doesn’t matter what play you call if you put bleed for the program players on the field over more talented ones and then put them in the wrong position at the wrong time.

Edited by Enchubben

At least make the game interesting to watch... our games the past few years have become really hard to enjoy because the offense is so, so dull. Give me some kinda motion or fake or misdirection.

Bury the cross field sideline wide receiver throw for no gain and the after Ehlinger runs for a first down RPO where he never hands the ball off on then next play for 1 yard gain.

Dabo would come here no question if the money is right in my opinion. He’d choose his alma mater, Alabama, before us, but would jump at the chance to coach at Texas 

Why? He has recruits, support, money and skins on the wall. We can’t offer shit except an old history of success. That is increasingly meaningless to younger and younger recruiting classes. Shit, outside of Mack’s run, our heyday was in their great grandparents’ day.

• Like 1

Herman will get his 3 years.  However, in year 3 back channel inquires should be made (indirectly), feeling out who is interested in coming for $10-15 million a year.  Then, we conduct a real search led by CDC and advised by football people, not a consulting firm or rich oil guys.  Maybe we get lucky and get a top 5 coach.  Maybe we get another Strong or Herman.  Such is life.  

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Why? He has recruits, support, money and skins on the wall. We can’t offer shit except an old history of success. That is increasingly meaningless to younger and younger recruiting classes. Shit, outside of Mack’s run, our heyday was in their great grandparents’ day.

Because...we're Texas? And you're right but that's not going to play well here. Too many are convinced money is going to win the day and get us a sure thing. We are not the prize we think ourselves to be. Dabo has everything he needs. This place is a buzzsaw. We have no patience for a rebuild. We have too many cooks in the kitchen though hopefully CDC has enough balls to put a stop to that. We have to hope the next gamble is the guy who can deal with all these competing factors and catch lightning in a bottle at the same time. Charlie and Herman have shown the job was/is too big for them. I don't see a lot of existing big names that want to deal with that. But when the eventual Herman removal happens, we'll trot out that tired line that money will win the day because that's really worked for us since 2010.

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Because...we're Texas? And you're right but that's not going to play well here. Too many are convinced money is going to win the day and get us a sure thing. We are not the prize we think ourselves to be. Dabo has everything he needs. This place is a buzzsaw. We have no patience for a rebuild. We have too many cooks in the kitchen though hopefully CDC has enough balls to put a stop to that. We have to hope the next gamble is the guy who can deal with all these competing factors and catch lightning in a bottle at the same time. Charlie and Herman have shown the job was/is too big for them. I don't see a lot of existing big names that want to deal with that. But when the eventual Herman removal happens, we'll trot out that tired line that money will win the day because that's really worked for us since 2010.

I'm hoping that CDC is the reason why the program will bounce back.  It's been the wild west of bandits, hired guns, and whores for the last several years.  

9 minutes ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

We are the cesspool.

Y'all will love this!

It's a stupid article. And I am starting to wonder if these guys who cover Texas closely are trying too hard to get into Herman's good graces. So an ESPN analyst called us a cesspool. That should dictate our program's direction? Strong did not even know how to coach a coin toss or how to correctly accept or decline a penalty. That has nothing to do with the expectations of a fan base. 

• Like 1

This is rationale, logical, and what will happen.  It's also F-ing stupid.  We "know" he's not the guy.  We all see it.  That's what is so maddening about all this.  We "knew" early on Charlie wasn't the guy.  We "knew" fairly early in 2010 Mack no longer had "it".

It's a big call, and one I don't have to make, so I have the luxury of a detached perspective.  But it's right there in front of us.  We have all seen the immediate impact of good coaching.  We saw it with Mack.  We saw it with Stoops.  We see it with Lincoln Riley.  We may be seeing it with Fisher.  Sumlin caught lightning in a bottle with Manziel and that stacked team, but for the most part you can see immediate improvement with the product on the field.  And it all starts with the QB.  Had Strong had Ash, he get 8 wins that first year.  Who knows from there.  That a school in such fertile recruiting grounds can't find a serviceable QB is a god damn travesty.  We have a semblance of a running game now.  If he's not hurt, put in Shane.  He actually has some mobility, but to date his passes are so much more serviceable, even if he can't stretch the field as much.  

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Should we have given Strong the chance at a 4th losing season in a row?  Asking for a friend.  I guess I'm a bad person.  And I should feel bad.

Not when his third-straight losing season was the product of a loss to fucking Kansas and his team showed no real promise of improvement.  I think a lot of us were prepared to give Strong a fourth year going into the Kansas game, thinking we'd win that one but lose to TCU finishing 6-6.

• Like 2

I feel like everyone who is saying "slow your roll" on wanting Herman fired is focused on the wins and losses being insufficient to this point to make that call.  That's true, although wins and losses so far this season don't paint a rosy picture. 

I think those of us who are off the Herman train are watching the leading indicators and seeing if what they suggest will happen is happening. 

Herman has made questionable, arguably bad hires for a place like Texas.  Texas and Houston should have different levels of staff based on expectations and resources available.  That did not happen and was a negative leading indicator.  Tim Beck...happened and was a negative leading indicator. 

Herman has shown zero sign that he's reflecting on what has happened so far and willing to question his approach and decisions when evidence shows they're not working.  That is an alarming negative indicator bc even the best coaches learn quickly through trial and error with staff, personnel, etc and that's how they've gotten better.

Nothing about our record to date would in isolation suggest to me that Herman needs to be gone.  It's not great, but if there were signs he was growing in the job and making the right corrective action I'd be willing to sit in the give him time train for a while.  If none of that is happening, we're simply delaying the inevitable if we give him more time.  The same approach will continue to yield the same results.

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Not sure how to embed this but look at the student section telling Herman to fuck off after he tries to hype them up. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/deanblevins/status/1038603695292919808

This is a dynamic I did not expect. Herman has completely lost the fan base. It is probably not all his fault, either. Years of apathy has a lot to do with this. But he certainly has not helped himself. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is a dynamic I did not expect. Herman has completely lost the fan base. It is probably not all his fault, either. Years of apathy has a lot to do with this. But he certainly has not helped himself. 

Yeah even the most casual observer has now realized he's a clown who is in way over his head at Texas. Struggling against a horrible Tulsa team only one week after losing to Maryland is disgraceful.

1 minute ago, El Hornarino said:

Firing Strong after year three was not unreasonable.

Honestly it is harder for me to accept the idea that we should have given him one more year just because of some nebulous precedent idea.

After another losing season and losing to Kansas. By year three you better show improvement. Completely agree.

Herman will be back next year but there is no tolerance for losing in year 3. 

Just now, 6th Street said:

Yeah even the most casual observer has now realized he's a clown who is in way over his head at Texas. Struggling against a horrible Tulsa team only one week after losing to Maryland is disgraceful.

The lack of player buy-in at this stage was not something I was expecting. We have too much athletic talent on this roster to be playing so poorly. It has as much to do with "want-to" and anything else. Herman has to find the right buttons to push and quick. This team needs something to bring them together and provide that spark.  Here's to hoping the USC game is it.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic