Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

5 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Those are all of the essential building blocks of a successful program, and those are the good things that Herman does that Mack and Charlie didn't. 

McKnight's S&C program especially. 

Unfortunately it all takes time to really sink in and become 'culture'. Herman may not be coaching here in 2 or 3 years, but he will absolutely hand off a roster and culture that is built to win. 

I know people said that about Strong. But those people were idiots.

Five fucking years in a row we've heard about our better S&C program and we still look like the smaller weaker team when we take the field vs just about anybody. Do we lift real weights or those fake plastic ones they display at stores?

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Five fucking years in a row we've heard about our better S&C program and we still look like the smaller weaker team when we take the field vs just about anybody. Do we lift real weights or those fake plastic ones they display at stores?

This to me is about continuity and consistency with schemes.  Our players are constantly learning and re-learning new schemes and systems.  Their taking a delayed, cerebral approach trying to think through plays instead of just reacting.  I see it with my kids, and at DKR.  They are a step slower, and play slightly timid & reserved.  There's a distinct lack of confidence because they are unsure.  This isn't an endorsement to give Herman more time.  We've seen countless new coaches and win immediately.  I really thought we'd turned a corner with the bowl win.  The tension seemed gone.  Now it's back and the players seem and play tight.  And when things don't go as planned, Herman and staff don't seem willing or capable to make the necessary in-game adjustments.

What's the saying about having a plan and then getting punched in the mouth.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So I am guessing if we beat USC tomorrow the "fire TH" crowd will be here spewing that we only won because USC just is not that good this year.

Whether that crowd says it or not, fact remains they aren't very good. 

Beating a not very good team is better than the alternative, but the following weeks will tell us how far we have to go, not usc. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So I am guessing if we beat USC tomorrow the "fire TH" crowd will be here spewing that we only won because USC just is not that good this year.

They're not.  I'll be happy, sure.  But it's also not going to erase all the mistakes to date.  Texas needs to show significant improvement on both sides of the ball.  This is a game Texas should win.  With a decent QB and a consistent offense, they win by 2 TDs.  TCU, WVU, or OU....this game is over by half-time.  That's our standard.  

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

If there's anything more over hyped than the "new and improved S&C program" by fanbois of a new coach, I don't know what is.  "Just wait till we get rid of Mad-Dog Wylie Moorer,  we'll be dominating in the 4th quarter."  You would think fans would stop falling for this, but they don't.  

27 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I'm guilty.  

Every new S&C coach I think,  now we're going to run with the big dogs.  

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

If there's anything more over hyped than the "new and improved S&C program" by fanbois of a new coach, I don't know what is.  "Just wait till we get rid of Mad-Dog Wylie Moorer,  we'll be dominating in the 4th quarter."  You would think fans would stop falling for this, but they don't.  

34 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Edited by Laga4

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Cautiously, yes. They're already saying it.

But it will be just a step. And I'll take a step for the moment. I just need to see them string together a few more before I can say they're walking. Sure the Fire TH crowd is the same (just angrier). 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Yeah I don't think it's that simple. If we squeak out a win despite making the same mistakes/overall ineptness we've seen since the beginning of last year, then yes.

If we come out and dominate USC - no terrible INTs, no badly blown coverages, no insane playcalling, etc - then I think the tone will be different. 

But I am expecting a continuation of what we've seen, because why wouldn't I expect that?

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah I don't think it's that simple. If we squeak out a win despite making the same mistakes/overall ineptness we've seen since the beginning of last year, then yes.

If we come out and dominate USC - no terrible INTs, no badly blown coverages, no insane playcalling, etc - then I think the tone will be different. 

But I am expecting a continuation of what we've seen, because why wouldn't I expect that?

I really don't care how we win if we are winning all our games, problem is we are not.

i don't remember what team it was that squeaked their way to the MNC, maybe Tennessee or OU or Auburn.... maybe all of them.  But i remember a team in recent history that looked ugly in most of their wins an the way to the championship.  

In other words, I don't give a shit how we do it, just win.  

38 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

i don't remember what team it was that squeaked their way to the MNC, maybe Tennessee or OU or Auburn.... maybe all of them.  But i remember a team in recent history that looked ugly in most of their wins an the way to the championship.

Has there been one that lost their way to the championship.  Asking for a friend the Longhorns.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am not sure even sure there is an official “fire TH”crowd. Personally, my posts on this thread are me expressing my concern over serious red flags about his viability as our coach but you know what? Everything in life is dynamic.  Coaches get better and worse, just like our players and fans are certainly able to change their views with new information. 

Saturday is a big day. I would even go far as to say a must win with the recruits we have on hand and the current state of our team. With everything on the line if we come out and beat a good opponent you bet your ass it will alleviate some of my concerns. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Others have said it, I will too. They aren't good.

I'll be happy with a win and really ticked with a loss. 

But how I will feel about Herman will have less to do with a win or loss and more how I see this team play. This Longhorn team has won a game and lost a game, both times looking unprepared and mediocre with playcalling looking like it's being determined by dice rolls. If that continues and Herman keeps deflecting or doesn't take responsibility, I'm going to continue to think he isn't the right guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

I really don't care how we win if we are winning all our games, problem is we are not.

Maybe 2002 Ohio St? 

And I'm with you - any wins are good. Just saying that the general regard for Herman isn't likely to change until the team plays fundamentally better. 

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

The 2009 Texas team won several ugly games, or at least that’s my memory of it. I bet if Colt doesn’t get injured they also bite and scratch and stumble their way to a win against friggin’ bama.

Nuance is probably lost on you guys, but it was pointed out by many at the time how much more stamina our players had last year than opposing teams.

We rarely ever got cramps and we never crumpled in the 2nd half like we did under Mack and Charlie (remember the 11 point 4th qtr lead at Kansas?)

We went 7-6 because our O line sucked and we had no real playmakers on offense. 

That was in year one. We're now two games into year two - and one of those had a 90 minute break in the middle - so we don't have enough data to assess year two yet. The USC game will be a good test.

As for individual players and results, remember that off-season workouts are all voluntary. Coaches can apply some kinds of pressure but ultimately it's up to players. Some apply themselves. Some don't. It shows in the fall.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Huh, I agree on Tyson 2000.

Imma go ahead and say Texas is Ali though not sure 1980 would be the year Id pick. Much as a I love Tyson, Ali is Ali.

2000 Tyson vs 2008 Hollyfield is the ones I'd go with... (Boxing talk not going away) Ali was way bigger than boxing. As much as I love Texas Football, they will never make the impact of Ali. (Huge Ali fan, both boxer and cultural)

End boxing nerd talk.

we are neither Ali or Holyfield, we are clearly Gentleman Jim Corbett circa 1932

Huh, I agree on Tyson 2000.
Imma go ahead and say Texas is Ali though not sure 1980 would be the year Id pick. Much as a I love Tyson, Ali is Ali.
2000 Tyson vs 2008 Hollyfield is the ones I'd go with... (Boxing talk not going away) Ali was way bigger than boxing. As much as I love Texas Football, they will never make the impact of Ali. (Huge Ali fan, both boxer and cultural)
End boxing nerd talk.

Pick your career phase, but we are Larry Holmes or Marvin Hagler, not Tyson or Ali.
  • Like 1

I was definitely in the fire Tom column after Maryland and just livid so I just took a break, no Texas football talk.  Recorded the Tulsa game and watched it commercial free and yes we didn't look good, we still won.

USC is different,  I just thinks that the team and by team I mean players, pull this one off by themselves.  Special teams come through, defense scores and those coaches can't take it away from the players with their boneheaded stubbornness.  Texas wins this one.

If we get smoked then burn it all down because this season will tsunami  and this staff will have a hard time keeping their jobs. 

Id rather play shitty and win than play shitty and lose.

Does anyone else think the Herman giving Fenves the CDC name story is complete made up bullshit, ala Mack lying about DKR quotes.

Also, If TE Beck is saying winning is hard and Herman has changed the culture and it takes time is and the fans cant expect it to flip in year 2, then I know the exact fucking reason our players are pussies. Herman is giving the team excuses in the locker room. Fuck Him!

3 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Nuance is probably lost on you guys, but it was pointed out by many at the time how much more stamina our players had last year than opposing teams.

We rarely ever got cramps and we never crumpled in the 2nd half like we did under Mack and Charlie (remember the 11 point 4th qtr lead at Kansas?)

We went 7-6 because our O line sucked and we had no real playmakers on offense. 

That was in year one. We're now two games into year two - and one of those had a 90 minute break in the middle - so we don't have enough data to assess year two yet. The USC game will be a good test.

As for individual players and results, remember that off-season workouts are all voluntary. Coaches can apply some kinds of pressure but ultimately it's up to players. Some apply themselves. Some don't. It shows in the fall.

There was just an article today that Texas has blown more fourth quarter leads than any tean in the country in the last 15 games. 

Basically, your entire conclusion is incorrect. 

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

The 2009 Texas team won several ugly games, or at least that’s my memory of it. I bet if Colt doesn’t get injured they also bite and scratch and stumble their way to a win against friggin’ bama.

Speaking of Colt, run Sam early so he gets his head in the game.

Colt used to get on fire passing after a 30 yard run with an awkward spin move at the end that somehow always worked when it looked like he was gonna get smashed.

4 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't have the numbers and I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Mack's teams were actually exceptionally good late in games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Agree. Those teams knew how to win close games regardless of opponent. They just occasionally got mudholed by OU.

That’s the honest to god truth. We typically fielded a team that could beat any other team in the country, but we couldn’t beat OU.

i swear to God, Texas could’ve easily beat any BCS bowl team in the 2000-2009 era. Man, it’s a shame because if we were in another conference, we would’ve played in so many meaningful bowl games and/or national championships.

TL;DR FUCK OU

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

There was just an article today that Texas has blown more fourth quarter leads than any tean in the country in the last 15 games. 

Basically, your entire conclusion is incorrect. 

In 2017 we won 2 games in the 2nd half - KSU in OT and Missouri - and we lost 3 games in the 2nd half - OSU and USC in OT and Texas Tech, which had a 14 point 4th quarter.
This year we led against Maryland for about 30 seconds but I guess that counts

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don't have the numbers and I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Mack's teams were actually exceptionally good late in games. 

Some of that was because we got fuckstomped in the first quarter of the game that eliminated us from conference championship contention almost every single year. The other games were close, but often irrelevant. 

Edited by Tex Pete

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Some of that was because we got fuckstomped in the first quarter of the game that eliminated us from conference championship contention almost every single year. The other games were close, but often irrelevant. 

And some of it was because we had deeper rosters than a lot of the lesser teams we played.

Some of the teams we've had over the past 5 years make me feel like we are just a couple of injuries away from losing 3-4 games we should easily win.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Yep. Beating USC in ugly fashion probably just means we win 5 instead of 4 this year. Woohoo?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic