Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Ok I guess I was a bit premature in thinking that our capacity to blow games had been overcome after the Maryland game. Last year's Texas Longhorns are now back with a vengeance finding ways to lose. Oh well. Regressing is painful.

But I guess 6-3 is more accurate as to what sort of team we have. I just hope we can find two more wins in there.

Edited by Valmy77

When Charlie couldn’t coach, at first I couldn’t believe it. I thought, “No coach can be this dumb.”

And then I realized, he was that dumb.

Ive been trying not to believe it with Herman, too.

But I’m not gonna be fooled any more. Just terrible, terrible coaching decisions.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Fuck him.

When Charlie couldn’t coach, at first I couldn’t believe it. I thought, “No coach can be this dumb.”

But I’m not gonna be fooled any more. Just terrible, terrible coaching decisions.

Jesus.

Ok I guess it is over-reaction freak out time.

Tech is already salivating at destroying us next week the exact same ways that silo-tech and hillbillie have. 

And if that wasn't bad enough, they just handed ISU and KU their game plans also.

Do you really think Mensa-Boy and his merry men will fix it? 

Nope!  His blind pride won't allow it-- he'd rather take his $15 million and ride off into the sunset just like the last "occupant" did.

I'm so glad I don't waste my money and time attending these horrible shit-show games anymore!  I'd still be waiting to drive out of a parking garage if I had....

Texas established the run in the second half. They were controlling the line of scrimmage. So this dumb mensa motherfucker decides to kick a field goal on 4th and 1 to go from a one score game to...a one score game.

Then, after West Virginia carved up your awful defense for an easy touchdown you opt to start taking shots in the endzone instead of doing everything in your power to keep West Virginia from getting the ball back.

In almost two years he hasn't learned how to manage a game in the slightest. He can recruit. I think there are positive changes to the culture that have been evident. This program isn't going to win shit until it's dipshit head coach learns how to manage a close game. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman is step up from our last dipshit coach, but that's a low bar.  We're an average football team, with a penchant for being anti-clutch.  

Or FFS. Both Strong and Herman are good coaches. We are just still trying to dig out of the shit-encrusted crater Mack left behind.

This is not a Strong vs Herman argument -- it's about the fact that Mack left this program with a rot it will take more than a decade to cleanse ourselves from. 

This is looking like an 8-4 year. Most of us thought that was about right coming in to the season. Then we beat some teams most of us thought we would lose to, and we got unrealistic expectations. Turns out most of those teams were just shitty. Oh well. So long as we don't lose to Kansas and beat one of Iowa State or Tech, this team will have fulfilled my expectations. Herman needs to continue to recruit well and next year improve to 9-3, and the year after that, I will start looking for conference and possible national titles.

• Like 3

It's quite easy to deal with this loss in Parcells mode.  Starting with the win over USC this season has been nice.  By declaring Parcells from the beginning, it makes the last 2 losses bearable.  Not tolerable, but not devastating.  This approach also makes the wins less enjoyable, unfortunately.

WRT clock management tied with 3 minutes to go, your defense has barely stopped them all day, and then to answer "no" to the clock question.  Welp.

At least aggy cratered today.

• Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Texas established the run in the second half. They were controlling the line of scrimmage. So this dumb mensa motherfucker decides to kick a field goal on 4th and 1 to go from a one score game to...a one score game.

This is the only thing I have a problem with today. That defense was on life support. We would have kept pounding them into submission and if it leads to a field goal later, so be it. But THAT'S where you run out some clock.

People saying we shouldn't have scored a damn game-leading touchdown so fast are hindsight junkies. You take the touchdown play every time. 

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That's just horseshit to blame it on Mack at this point.  If this were 2014?  Sure, that crappy roster was on Mack.  But there is no such thing as a many year rebuild for a college football blueblood.  Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Stoops, Tressel, Harbaugh, even young Mack Brown at Texas ... every college football coach worth anything can bring a powerhouse program back within 2 or 3 years even if they inherited a shit show.  Your players are only there for 3 to 5 years for crying out loud.

Having said that, I agree that 8-4 or 9-3 is probably reasonable for this team, but that's because Charlie was a disaster in every facet of his job, and Herman hired some bad assistants, not because Mack Brown circa 2013 is still somehow responsible for our problems.

Nah, he left behind a program with systemic rot. No ability to redshirt on the OL or at DB, no QB for years to come. Charlie was having to throw green recruits in the fire every year and that's continued under Herman. 

It's like the Soviet Army at the beginning of World War 2. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

This is the only thing I have a problem with today. That defense was on life support. We would have kept pounding them into submission and if it leads to a field goal later, so be it. But THAT'S where you run out some clock.

People saying we shouldn't have scored a damn game-leading touchdown so fast are hindsight junkies. You take the touchdown play every time. 

There's 2:43 left and WVU has two timeouts left. I generally don't like being conservative on offense, but that's a situation in which you have to be at least a little bit conservative. If we were having trouble running the ball that's one thing, but we moved the ball well all day and our best chance to win the game was in the hands of our offense. We needed to try and run clock there (when you're absolutely right about needing to bleed some clock on the possession before) but Texas had two opportunities to bleed clock and didn't do it and that cost them the game.

This team is exactly what most of you thought it would be this season.  Decent. No better, no worse.  We flirted with Top 10 and most of you went fucking aggy and started assuming we had turned the corner that quick.  If you are surprised by this it's your own fault.  We are a decent team with a few superstars and mostly decent guys filling out the rest of the roster and decent coaches.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Shut the fuck up already.

Go back and read your pre-season predictions.  Every one of you would have been pretty damn happy with this season so far back then.  That's not me claiming a moral victory. Fuck this loss... fuck all these losses.  But they were expected unless you're a fucking moron.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It's quite easy to deal with this loss in Parcells mode.  Starting with the win over USC this season has been nice.  By declaring Parcells from the beginning, it makes the last 2 losses bearable.  Not tolerable, but not devastating.  This approach also makes the wins less enjoyable, unfortunately.

WRT clock management tied with 3 minutes to go, your defense has barely stopped them all day, and then to answer "no" to the clock question.  Welp.

At least aggy cratered today.

What is this Parcells mode meme that I missed? 

Coaching is lacking. 

We have a lot of talent, claiming otherwise is disingenuous,  only USC and OU rank higher over the past 5 years.  We have talent that beat both of those teams, USC because their coaching is horrendous and OU because they had the worst DC in football.  But  either could not just out talent us  

Good coaches are scheming our defense, out coaching us.  Offense looks more like we are out coaching ourselves.   Sure, the DC can't help when guys take bad angles or miss assignments, but it's their job to teach them responsibilities, get them ready for the upcoming game, AND to replace them when they aren't getting it done.   Depth issues are not unique to any team, we all have the same scholarship limits and roster turnover.

What Mack did to the program is now a tired excuse, there's no-one left from his classes and only maybe 4 from CS first year.  We are recruiting well, but how long will that sustain when you aren't competing for anything of substance?   Good coaches can build a roster to fit their system and win more than they lose.  Great coaches can go win with someone else's recruits, then build a program that competes at a high level.   Right now it looks like we might have a good coach.  

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas