Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

TFB Super K

Spoiler

We’ve the question of whether the possibility of Urban Meyer being the head coach at Texas next year is real.

I am not going to offer you much here but felt it was worth reiterating the notes previously posted.

Back on October 19th I wrote, in part (here):

I have now heard from multiple folks that back channel donor talk dealing with Urban has already begun.

I have no idea what that means about the potential for the hire to materialize but I can say it seems it’s not just a discussion happening on twitter.

Then on October 20th, I also wrote, in part (here):

However, another piece of second hand info I received is that there is already a behind the scenes number being floated from the Urban camp. That number I’ve heard is in the 10 million dollar range.

Again, none of this means anything with regard to the school’s decision on Herman. There is still a lot of football left to be played. This would all be back channel discussions.

As far as I know, nothing has changed. There is serious interest with the big money and as I understand it Urban’s camp is open to it.

Anything regarding how CDC or the admin feels is still unknown – at least, by the folks I speak to.

So to answer the question of whether there is a real possibility of this, I can really only give you speculation based on the information I’ve received. And my sense of it is that if Herman were to win out and take the Big 12 championship then he stays. If he loses and misses the Big 12 championship, I would wager that if a suitable replacement is available (meaning someone the admin agrees to and the terms are suitable) then he’d be replaced.

Again, that’s just my speculation based on the information I had received earlier this month.

Shanahan’s former teammates aren’t surprised at his rise, reaching the Super Bowl at just 40 and in his third year with the 49ers. They saw signs of it even in college, when Shanahan was a seldom-used wide receiver from 2000-02, the early years of Mack Brown’s tenure. Shanahan caught only 14 passes for 127 yards during his career but made lasting relationships. He was part of a brotherhood that he and his teammates called “The Wood.”

. . .

Scaife, Babers and Shanahan have a special bond. The three, along with former Longhorns wide receiver Montrell Flowers and quarterback Chris Simms — Shanahan’s best friend — made up “The Wood.” Johnson and former defensive back and current UT defensive analyst Nathan “Nasty Nate” Vasher are considered unofficial members.

The name is based off a 1999 romantic comedy starring Omar Epps, Taye Diggs and Richard T. Jones in which three childhood friends flash back to the forging of their bond as teenagers ahead of one of their weddings. Scaife is credited for coming up with it. The five had nicknames, too: Bo-Skeeze (Scaife), Rod-B (Babers), Shan-O (Shanahan), Trill (Flowers) and … Simms.

In 2002, the group got tattoos solidifying their bond. Shanahan and Simms, somewhat infamously, have ink commemorating each other’s initials on their lower legs.

“We were brothers for life,” Babers said of that night.

. . .

Shanahan’s loyalty also hasn’t gone unnoticed by his old UT teammates. When Johnson was cut by the Broncos in 2005, Shanahan lobbied for him to sign with the Buccaneers in ‘06. Richard Hightower, Johnson’s roommate for three years who earned a scholarship after originally walking on, currently serves as San Francisco’s special teams coordinator. In fact, Hightower, whom Longhorns teammates called “Peanut,” previously worked with Shanahan in Houston, Washington and Cleveland.

source: https://theathletic.com/1574006/2020/01/31/texas-longhorns-football-kyle-shanahan-brotherhood-potential/

I think he does have a fondness for his time at the University. I don't think he's in play because he's a football guy through and through and the college game limits that. But it's nice to think about what he could do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

From a personal point of view, I am surprised that we are having a poor season. I thought Herman made the right moves this offseason. We have a better staff, a better roster, and did a good job handling the offseason turmoil. But here we are.

Agree with all of this.

I had some concerns that grew throughout last season.  But I gave him a break on that underperformance because we had a shitload of injuries, a bad defensive coordinator, and we'd just overperformed the previous year and finished top 10.  There was a good chance that 2019 was an anomaly and the bowl performance, a new DC, a pretty loaded roster, and a very winnable Big 12 gave us every reason to expect a much better 2020.

And here we are.  OU has their worst team in 20 years and they turn the ball over 3 times in the first half and we still can't beat them.  If not for Sam's miracle against Tech, we're 2-3 and staring 2-4 in the face after Okie State gets done doing whatever they want to us.

I would say that the two most obvious signs of a poorly coached team are lack of discipline and lack of fundamentals, like tackling.  And here we are in Year 4 of the Mensa Era giving away about 200 yards per game on penalties and missed tackles.

Get this fucking guy out of here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Personally, I understand fans wanting Tom to be fired in-season if results on the field warrant, but I know there’s a plan in place that might not call for it. Without knowing the details of the plan it’s hard to have confidence in it, but these people are operating with much more info than we are.

This was the intriguing line to me. I wonder if that is referencing him being reassigned...but I dont know what the point of that is...

I still think only Texas can finish off smoking the shit out of Highly Ranked Utah, being in playoff outside discussion rolling into the season with a ton of upperclassmen, fresh blood and s senior heisman candidate qb, and look like we do today hemorrhaging recruits, wins, chances etc.  this is peak 2020

• Like 1

Since $10mill was mentioned...

12. LINCOLN RILEY, OKLAHOMA ($6.4 MILLION)

10. TOM HERMAN, TEXAS ($6.7 MILLION)

6. JIMBO FISHER, TEXAS A&M ($7.5 MILLION)

5. JIM HARBAUGH, MICHIGAN ($8 MILLION)

4. JOHN CALIPARI, KENTUCKY ($8.1 MILLION)

3. ED ORGERON, LSU ($8.7 MILLION)

2. NICK SABAN, ALABAMA ($9.1 MILLION)

1. DABO SWINNEY, CLEMSON ($9.3 MILLION)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Greenspoint posting that paystub let Urban and his agent know just how deep our pockets are.  

Shit.Urban has seen all our cards. He knows we have money damnit. We have no leverage of any sort now. He’ll take our money, win the Big 12 and a CFP and burn down all the academic buildings and build a Ferris wheel on their ashes. He will dismantle the entire school! Our degrees will have no value. You look at Utah, Bowling Green, Florida and Ohio State. What the media isn’t telling you as that none of their graduating students can find jobs. It’s a travesty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Extremely worth it, bet Dabo and Saban want him to get the job as well...that would make for some easy negotiating. Hell wouldnt shock me if Dabo was talked to just to help give Texas leverage with Urban and get Dabo a pay bump...works for both parties 

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Extremely worth it, bet Dabo and Saban want him to get the job as well...that would make for some easy negotiating. Hell wouldnt shock me if Dabo was talked to just to help give Texas leverage with Urban and get Dabo a pay bump...works for both parties 

Didn't Saban have a "highest paid" clause of some sort that auto bumps his salary if somebody exceeds him? Thought that was in his last deal but I could have also dreamed it. 

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Coach K is definitely among those guys.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

150k for making big 12 championship 

300k for winning big 12 championship 

500k for making college football playoff

750k for making national championship game 

Fuck all that gay shit 5 mil straight up for winning NC. Then he hits boosters after that - 10 mil for a second one and fuck it let's cut him a check for 50 if he makes it a hat trick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I still think only Texas can finish off smoking the shit out of Highly Ranked Utah, being in playoff outside discussion rolling into the season with a ton of upperclassmen, fresh blood and s senior heisman candidate qb, and look like we do today hemorrhaging recruits, wins, chances etc.  this is peak 2020

It is a perfect opportunity to become a basketball school, but, you know, Shaka. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fuck all that gay shit 5 mil straight up for winning NC. Then he hits boosters after that - 10 mil for a second one and fuck it let's cut him a check for 50 if he makes it a hat trick.

After that offer a one year paid sabbatical so he can rest and hang out with the kids. Then lets do it all over again. 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

10 mill base

150k for making big 12 championship 

300k for winning big 12 championship 

500k for making college football playoff

750k for making national championship game 

1 million for winning national championship 

2 million for beating powerhouses like TCU?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas