Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 hours ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, I want to believe but the odds of a guy with less than 800 followers breaking this story is very small.

most of his posts are about gambling - doesn't appear to have any real connection to Texas (followers or posts)

seems like a dude reading the tea leaves and throwing darts - like OB/Ketch

I don't see him throwing many darts. The ones he has thrown he has kind of nailed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I don't think Shanahan will end up being the hire, but damn would it be fun to watch his running scheme shred Big 12 defenses.

Anyone that doesn't want Shanahan isn't thinking big enough. He made a superbowl in his 3rd fucking year as a HC. 

But we aren't getting Shanahan LOL 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There is a 0% chance Herman said this, lol. How would that convo even go? "We're going to get a '22 QB, but we'll make sure he's not any good, so don't you worry. He'll be 3 stars or lower, that's my promise!".

Just quoting to express that this is the first positive thought  I have seen satya post in regards to recruiting. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This, its Texas trying to get back any semblance of leverage they can in negotiations with CUM

This is where I'm leaning. They've been shooting numbers back and forth at each other for a week or so..probably. Going slow. Hearing Kyle's name like this, right now, tells me they may be wanting to speed that up. 

But I'm just a guy on the interwebz

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm not sure if he would, on his own, but I do know his DC might get a shot at a HC gig in the NFL. Dude's a stud coordinator. Not sure if there might be any other factors. But I doubt it with Kyle. I always thought his name would pop up, but I just doubt it would happen. 

Can we at least have John Benton, the offensive line coach?

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is where I'm leaning. They've been shooting numbers back and forth at each other for a week or so..probably. Going slow. Hearing Kyle's name like this, right now, tells me they may be wanting to speed that up. 

But I'm just a guy on the interwebz

How does this work?  Hearing names that are no way obtainable is going to make Urban shit or get off the pot?  I'd lean more into it just being 9.95 bullshit than some attempt to gain leverage.

Nothing brings out the idiots like a coaching search. Hogan included. Shanahan will not leave SF to coach here. His dad was an NFL guy and he’s an NFL guy with a young and talented team (when healthy). He’s literally competing for Super Bowls, and people think he’s going to want to suck up to 17 year olds?

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How does this work?  Hearing names that are no way obtainable is going to make Urban shit or get off the pot?  I'd lean more into it just being 9.95 bullshit than some attempt to gain leverage.

Kyle doesn't seem likely, but I can't say he's not "obtainable?" 

When you're negotiating the kinda money we're hoping UT and Urb are, any little outside threat like that, no matter how serious you think it could be, ends up being taken seriously anyway. 

Edited by UncleBuck

But why?
is Kyle Shanahan a good recruiter? Or are we just going to take yet another shot in the dark?
If Urban says no, where are we? Everyone else has lots of question marks.

Edit: that's definitely not a vote for Kyle. I'm just saying that everyone other than UM seems like something of a shot in the dark.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Nothing brings out the idiots like a coaching search. Hogan included. Shanahan will not leave SF to coach here. His dad was an NFL guy and he’s an NFL guy with a young and talented team (when healthy). He’s literally competing for Super Bowls, anMaybe there d people think he’s going to want to suck up to 17 year olds?

jenniferlawrenceok.gif

Counterpoint. Maybe there are other reasons that he would want to coach in college.

115ecd2ab8d957c1af093453dad44d9a_md.jpg

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't see him throwing many darts. The ones he has thrown he has kind of nailed.

Yeah there are some under the radar guys out there that are pretty solid. A lot of the time they don't stand out because they don't draw attention to themselves or they break news so far ahead of when it gets confirmed by others that few people connect them with it in the first place (as is often the case with stuff I scoop). You just have to pay attention and realize that the lesser known guys with good info usually just won't have it all that often and will usually just throw it out there without making a big show of it. In my experience you can tell when someone has a real source by listening not only to what they say, but how they say.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Nothing brings out the idiots like a coaching search, especially those that don't understand that a coach's name might be floated as a way to generate leverage with the coach you are trying to sign.

No matter how little sense it might make to me, or you, or Urban, it gets taken seriously. Especially when, outside of the 49rs building, Shanny doesn't deny it. He could be doing them a solid. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Also, another factor I forgot to mention, as to why Kyle could "appear" do want to leave SF, is that it's appearing more and more likely that Garoppolo just might not be the guy at QB. Dude's under contract for two more years, making 26 and $27M. 

They could always trade Garoppolo for Deshaun Watson and a first.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Kyle doesn't seem likely, but I can't say he's not "obtainable?" 

When you're negotiating the kinda money we're hoping UT and Urb are, any little outside threat like that, no matter how serious you think it could be, ends up being taken seriously anyway. 

Why can't you say he's not obtainable?  Because he chose to ride the bench here instead of at Duke?  I'm sure he had a blast here, but has he once uttered a sentence of fondness for the state of the UT program?  Because the only hook is him attending UT, otherwise everyone would say WTF.  

Jesus fucking Christ Kyle Shanahan is not coming to the University of Texas.  He has that Longhorn tattoo because he got it with his buddy....Chris Simms.  Remember Chris, the guy we were all massive dickheads to but that I would have killed every single one of you to have had him at QB at any point in the last decade.  There is no sign that Kyle has stayed particularly close to the university and he's a coach in the NFL trying to make his way at one of the more storied and visible franchises in NFL history.  

Hey Kyle, you want to leave one of the storied franchises in NFL history to come coach in Austin, the place that treated your friend poorly and is in the midst of an existential crisis off the field and a football shitshow on it?  No, ok...cool.

• Like 5

Is Kyle unobtainable?  No. Is he likely?? maybe.  Is he exactly what this board has been saying they don't want----ie a sudden flash in the pan hot coaching commodity without longterm success?  Yes.  Is it completely unbelievable that he would dump the NFL for College?-No--see Jim Harbaugh.

Will it happen? probably not.

7 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Shanahan is an NFL guy.  After those two Super Bowl losses, he is not going to leave the NFL and go to college having not won one.

Also, his offense is way too complicated for college.  He uses fullbacks and tight ends, even.

God, Jared Wiley would be turned into a first round pick with Kyle Shanahans offense

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Isn't the money better in college? I thought that was the case.

A new coach is a crapshoot no matter what. My worthless opinion is that Shanahan would have to alter how he coaches to switch to college. Would he? Does he want to? Is it worth it for several million extra dollars? I have no clue.

Another worthless RomaViewpoint is that Dabo sounds like an idiot when he speaks. He's clearly not an idiot, but it would be a beating listening to him over the years. But Roma, he's a winner! No shit. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fair trade off. I'm just adding something new to this merry-go-round discussion. Go back and read the second word of this paragraph, my friend.

If we don't get Urban, Dabo, or Nick, I might roll the dice with Traylor. 

I now await my deserved pelting with rocks and garbage.

At least we can all watch for “clues” on the Saturday morning Fox sports show. Beats watching GameDay. What will Urban wear or say about UT tomorrow? 

I really don’t think it matters whether or not a HC went to/attended the college they are coaching. Honestly. It doesn’t fucking matter. I’m  sure we can name a few HCs that won MNCs for schools they have zero affiliation with...

IDGAF. I just want to win. Win and contend for a CFP. And not like once every 35 or so years. Like be fucking competitive enough that we are always in the conversation (and not because Vegas has no clue what the fuck we will do on Saturday). 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas