Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why do so many people keep reiterating Shanahan won’t coach in college when it’s painfully obvious it’s a negotiation tactic if anything. No shit.

If you'd post some more pics of your lady friend with the middle/middle 100mph fast ball I'd quit swinging at these shitty pitches in the dirt.  We're not walking our way to a championship here.

Edited by Surly Bevo

Why do so many people keep reiterating Shanahan won’t coach in college when it’s painfully obvious it’s a negotiation tactic if anything. No shit.

I think the thing people are missing is that we here on an internet message board are able to dismiss the idea of Shanahan wanting to coach at Texas without the possibility of consequence. It gets harder to completely ignore when you're negotiating a contract.

How well this would all work on Urban is the question. But no doubt he has more to lose and gain on this personally/monetarily than any of us, and has to take almost everything into consideration. Both sides do. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Why or how is it our negotiating tactic if the answer is no shit?  That's my only point.  Doesn't it need to at least be reasonably possible for it to affect negotiations?

Why or how is it our negotiating tactic if the answer is no shit?  That's my only point.  Doesn't it need to at least be reasonably possible for it to affect negotiations?
We'll try whatever we can, but my guess is both sides know Urban could get pretty much whatever he wants, provided it's possible.

I mean, it can't hurt unless we're stupid and overplay our hand, but Urban isn't exactly Charlie or Tom. He knows this game and knows his position in it. We have to try, but he has basically all the cards.

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

We'll try whatever we can, but my guess is both sides know Urban could get pretty much whatever he wants, provided it's possible.

I mean, it can't hurt unless we're stupid and overplay our hand, but Urban isn't exactly Charlie or Tom. He knows this game and knows his position in it. We have to try, but he has basically all the cards.

Tom and Charlie both played us 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't see him throwing many darts. The ones he has thrown he has kind of nailed.

you know, that's fair. quick scan of last few months of his twitter timeline is almost exclusively "here are our bets" and "buy our betting information" with a few rando comments about sporting events thrown in.

my point was more that he has basically no Texas followers (so not a known dude), doesn't seem to be Dallas or SLC based (taking out that angle) and doesn't seem to have any specific great points he makes or RTs of accounts he follows. not going to shit on him for having ~800 followers now but again, no shared Texas followers, his likes don't really show a Dallas/SLC/Texas bent to them.

if he came on here and posted this shit we would look at him the same way we looked at the RCV2005 dude - with a million questions and doubting what he says.

all i am saying is that this appears to be a guy looking at the tea leaves and making guesses at what he thinks is going to happen vs someone with actual sources or connections

even he said this:

The tactic would be that Shanahan is one of the only guys that Urban might get nervous about losing a potential job to. 

But the thing is, it would take just as much money to get Kyle here, so the dollar figure is going to be absurd either way we cut it - just maybe less absurd if we can get Urban to beleive that Kyle is seriously on the table.

I can't think of any other coach where we would say to Urban "yeah well he would come for $6MM a year!" without him coming back immediately and asking us to call him again when we're serious. As Lumbergh said - Urban holds all the cards. It's going to take a lot to get us any leverage when it comes to getting the dollar amount down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

you know, that's fair. quick scan of last few months of his twitter timeline is almost exclusively "here are our bets" and "buy our betting information" with a few rando comments about sporting events thrown in.

my point was more that he has basically no Texas followers (so not a known dude), doesn't seem to be Dallas or SLC based (taking out that angle) and doesn't seem to have any specific great points he makes or RTs of accounts he follows. not going to shit on him for having ~800 followers now but again, no shared Texas followers, his likes don't really show a Dallas/SLC/Texas bent to them.

if he came on here and posted this shit we would look at him the same way we looked at the RCV2005 dude - with a million questions and doubting what he says.

all i am saying is that this appears to be a guy looking at the tea leaves and making guesses at what he thinks is going to happen vs someone with actual sources or connections

even he said this:

My guess is that he has a Dallas BMD connect, actually. He talked about taking pitches from Kershaw in HS and having some fringe mutual friends with him.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but last night  in the same hour on the Horn that Trey Elling made his comment about Herman’s recruiting efforts, they interviewed Brian Jones. 

When they asked BJ if Tom Herman would be gone on Sunday if they lost on Saturday, BJ answered “yes” without hesitation. He made it clear that he was hearing Herman was out with a loss.

Not huge news, but nice to get confirmation from someone who is fairly plugged in  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

even he said this:

True but he seems to be a fairly narrow focus guy on what he tweets about.  The sudden random and accurate info relating to UT and recruiting makes it quite believable that he has some random connection at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Shanahan is an NFL guy.  After those two Super Bowl losses, he is not going to leave the NFL and go to college having not won one.

Also, his offense is way too complicated for college.  He uses fullbacks and tight ends, even.

I only want him if he stubbornly leaves in TEs that cannot block, barely run routes and that defenses don't respect.

• Rage+1 1

True but he seems to be a fairly narrow focus guy on what he tweets about.  The sudden random and accurate info relating to UT and recruiting makes it quite believable that he has some random connection at the moment.
Unless his connection is more engaged in this current coaching process than the normal day to day of the team?

Hard to ignore the timing and confidence in Ewers, and then the other commits.

He's also been really specific on Drayton, so that will be interesting to watch.

I'm not sold, but he's 2/2 so far by my count.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Unless his connection is more engaged in this current coaching process than the normal day to day of the team?

Hard to ignore the timing and confidence in Ewers, and then the other commits.

He's also been really specific on Drayton, so that will be interesting to watch.

I'm not sold, but he's 2/2 so far by my count.

Yeah that is basically what I was going for.  He isn't someone building his followers  by covering UT or having a stated vested interest in it.  He just happens to know someone who at this point in time knows things that are accurate and passing it along. When this cycles through he will most likely lose said information and go back to covering what he traditionally does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah that is basically what I was going for.  He isn't someone building his followers  by covering UT or having a stated vested interest in it.  He just happens to know someone who at this point in time knows things that are accurate and passing it along. When this cycles through he will most likely lose said information and go back to covering what he traditionally does.
Ha, I misread your first post to say it was "quite unbelievable" that he had info. We're on the same page.

33 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Has a HC ever jumped from NFL to blue blood college program without having ever coached as a HC in the college ranks before?

no way id hire shanny, even if he wants the job

Pete Carroll.  He was a DC in college before going to the NFL, but he was fired and then jumped.

Jim Mora.... yuck.

Lane Kiffin.  Not building a good case.

Herm Edwards.  Again, was out of coaching for awhile before going back to college.

Maybe Mike Riley?

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
9 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Ha, I misread your first post to say it was "quite unbelievable" that he had info. We're on the same page.

Plus he doesn't murder the english language like some people.......

Humidor

Spoiler

Tom Herman has a big, winnable game ahead of him this week in Stillwater. If you’ve been paying attention, we don’t think the remaining season matters all that much for his future at Texas. That has nothing to do with preference or opinion, it’s simply based on what we are hearing; it’s based on what we have been hearing.

In the coming weeks/month, Johnny Come Lately will report revelations of “they have buyout money“ and some such, but that’s not groundbreaking, and it’s clearly implied in what we’ve been reporting. How the buyout actually occurs might become news unto its own, but we don’t yet know how that will play out. In the end it will just be a minor footnote.

You may remember such classics as “Hark the Harrell Angel” and “Coord Cutting” but we aren’t to the frenzied point where news is daily or calling for the alcohol inducing Moderator Only thread. We’re not fans of busy work, and think re-packaging non-update updates is lazy. Shuttlesworth and I used to call it making stone soup. We’ll at least add some carrots this week but Fridays come fast and new info doesn’t always adhere to deadlines.

So what do we have that’s new? Not a lot, but not nothing either. After bulleits last night I’m going to bullet to make it easier.

- The search is on....for a search firm. Search firms have a bad reputation on the Texas internets. That will happen when you spend $267,000 for CYA to hire Charlie Strong. But firms serve a real purpose if used correctly. It’s how I found Justin. Firms are becoming adept at misdirection so it will make our job more challenging and more fun. Del Conte used a search firm to hire the women’s basketball coach. Vin Scully I think his name is. Of course it’s easy to overspend for a coach in a non-revenue sport. If he overspends on this next coach it’ll probably be a good thing, however. Don’t read too much into retaining a search firm. That could be part and parcel with both Scenario 1 and Scenario 3.

- Calm in the donor ranks is eerie. There’s plenty of **** talking over the current conflagration, and these dudes even have group messages like @Toadvine and @malaise apparently have with half the IT readership, but they’re no longer mad, up in arms, or threatening to withhold funds. From my vantage, the donors who matter are all in line and willing to do what it takes to put out the fire.

- I previously heard if the job should open, Jay Hartzell was open to hiring Urban Meyer. Now I hear that Hartzell wants him if there’s a vacancy. That’s probably related to my previous point.

- I think an in-season firing is possible, but I don’t think it’s likely. This is based on info before Quinn Ewers and DeAndre McNeal de-committed, but I think it’s still accurate. I don’t know what to make of it, but I’m smart enough to give slack for things I don’t know. I’ve heard there is a lot to navigate but try as I might I can’t get color on what that exactly entails. It takes no imagination to believe there is an excess of red tape and bureaucratic friction to navigate at Texas. I do believe the school can’t reach out to potential candidates while Tom Herman is employed. They’ll honor that of course.

Like I said, search firms come in handy.

Personally, I understand fans wanting Tom to be fired in-season if results on the field warrant, but I know there’s a plan in place that might not call for it. Without knowing the details of the plan it’s hard to have confidence in it, but these people are operating with much more info than we are.

- This is independent of UT sourced info, but I asked a trusted confidante in the sports world who he thought were the best, realistic candidates. He listed: Penn State's James Franklin, Iowa State's Matt Campbell, Cincinnati's Luke Fickell, Minnesota's PJ Fleck, and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott.

Funny enough, a week ago he didn’t think Tom was on the way out. This week he came back with his mind changed. This week he also said he didn’t think Texas was coordinated enough to pull of the Urban Meyer hire. I’m going to give him a week on that and see what he says ;)

Upon a re-read and edit, there’s plenty of meat in there. Be careful not to add too much salt.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Humidor

Hide contents

Tom Herman has a big, winnable game ahead of him this week in Stillwater. If you’ve been paying attention, we don’t think the remaining season matters all that much for his future at Texas. That has nothing to do with preference or opinion, it’s simply based on what we are hearing; it’s based on what we have been hearing.

In the coming weeks/month, Johnny Come Lately will report revelations of “they have buyout money“ and some such, but that’s not groundbreaking, and it’s clearly implied in what we’ve been reporting. How the buyout actually occurs might become news unto its own, but we don’t yet know how that will play out. In the end it will just be a minor footnote.

You may remember such classics as “Hark the Harrell Angel” and “Coord Cutting” but we aren’t to the frenzied point where news is daily or calling for the alcohol inducing Moderator Only thread. We’re not fans of busy work, and think re-packaging non-update updates is lazy. Shuttlesworth and I used to call it making stone soup. We’ll at least add some carrots this week but Fridays come fast and new info doesn’t always adhere to deadlines.

So what do we have that’s new? Not a lot, but not nothing either. After bulleits last night I’m going to bullet to make it easier.

- The search is on....for a search firm. Search firms have a bad reputation on the Texas internets. That will happen when you spend $267,000 for CYA to hire Charlie Strong. But firms serve a real purpose if used correctly. It’s how I found Justin. Firms are becoming adept at misdirection so it will make our job more challenging and more fun. Del Conte used a search firm to hire the women’s basketball coach. Vin Scully I think his name is. Of course it’s easy to overspend for a coach in a non-revenue sport. If he overspends on this next coach it’ll probably be a good thing, however. Don’t read too much into retaining a search firm. That could be part and parcel with both Scenario 1 and Scenario 3.

- Calm in the donor ranks is eerie. There’s plenty of **** talking over the current conflagration, and these dudes even have group messages like @Toadvine and @malaise apparently have with half the IT readership, but they’re no longer mad, up in arms, or threatening to withhold funds. From my vantage, the donors who matter are all in line and willing to do what it takes to put out the fire.

- I previously heard if the job should open, Jay Hartzell was open to hiring Urban Meyer. Now I hear that Hartzell wants him if there’s a vacancy. That’s probably related to my previous point.

- I think an in-season firing is possible, but I don’t think it’s likely. This is based on info before Quinn Ewers and DeAndre McNeal de-committed, but I think it’s still accurate. I don’t know what to make of it, but I’m smart enough to give slack for things I don’t know. I’ve heard there is a lot to navigate but try as I might I can’t get color on what that exactly entails. It takes no imagination to believe there is an excess of red tape and bureaucratic friction to navigate at Texas. I do believe the school can’t reach out to potential candidates while Tom Herman is employed. They’ll honor that of course.

Personally, I understand fans wanting Tom to be fired in-season if results on the field warrant, but I know there’s a plan in place that might not call for it. Without knowing the details of the plan it’s hard to have confidence in it, but these people are operating with much more info than we are.

- This is independent of UT sourced info, but I asked a trusted confidante in the sports world who he thought were the best, realistic candidates. He listed: Penn State's James Franklin, Iowa State's Matt Campbell, Cincinnati's Luke Fickell, Minnesota's PJ Fleck, and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott.

Funny enough, a week ago he didn’t think Tom was on the way out. This week he came back with his mind changed. This week he also said he didn’t think Texas was coordinated enough to pull of the Urban Meyer hire. I’m going to give him a week on that and see what he says ;)

Upon a re-read and edit, there’s plenty of meat in there. Be careful not to add too much salt.

TLDR nothing we don't already know.

34 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Pete Carroll leaves USC to coach NFL's Seahawks - USC Athletics

Technically, he was out of the League for a year before he went to USC.

Even though several NFL teams approached him with defensive coordinator positions, Carroll instead spent the 2000 season as a consultant for pro and college teams, doing charitable work for the NFL, and writing a column about pro football for CNNSI.com.[11][16]

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Humidor

Reveal hidden contents

So which one of you jackwagons reads surley and writes this garabage for them.....I mean seriously this is basically a rehash of the past 10 pages minus the meltdown about recruiting....

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Jim Harbaugh 2.0

Maybe. Not like Harbuagh is a bad coach. Can't quite get Michigan over the hump but it took Mack awhile to get Texas back.

And Shanahan is a career coach. Harbaugh wasn't/isn't. Harbaugh had one year coaching experience at 40. Shanahan has 17.

Taking all of the info out there and applying it to what’s required to get Urban and handicapping it:

Urban Meyer interested - highly confident yes.

Texas seriously interested in Meyer - highly confident yes.

Decision made already to part with Herman - likely yes but not guaranteed or disclosed

Non-official deal terms with Urban agreed - unclear but likely close.

Unofficial deal in place with Urban to take over - unclear but likely not yet.

We are half way there IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe. Not like Harbuagh is a bad coach. Can't quite get Michigan over the hump but it took Mack awhile and a VY to get Texas back.

And Shanahan is a career coach. Harbaugh wasn't/isn't. Harbaugh had one year coaching experience at 40. Shanahan has 17.

fixed...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Taking all of the info out there and applying it to what’s required to get Urban and handicapping it:

Decision made already to part with Herman - likely yes but not guaranteed or disclosed

work til GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe. Not like Harbuagh is a bad coach. Can't quite get Michigan over the hump but it took Mack awhile to get Texas back.

Plus he is 2 drives away from having 2 super bowl wins. The ATL loss was on him partly but they would not have been there without him. Recruiting would be a wild card but recent SB appearances and his last name would help bridge the gap. 

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This may be true, but we have some smart people involved who realize that he is a dead man walking. There is absolutely no point in stringing this out. 

From a personal point of view, I am surprised that we are having a poor season. I thought Herman made the right moves this offseason. We have a better staff, a better roster, and did a good job handling the offseason turmoil. But here we are. We are basically left with no choice but to let him go and hire someone with cache. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas