Official "Fuck this stupid ass-commercial" thread

Prepuce of Doom

There is definitely a stereotypical look that is over represented in commercials (compared to real life).  That look (very light skin, caucasian features, trim body, hair as above) which is attractive no doubt, represents 15% of what you see in real life, but is 85% of what you see in commercials. 

It’s no different that it’s ever been, advertisers using attractive people which I have no problem with.  They just aren’t all pretty blondes anymore.   But they are still idealized stereotypes and not representative of real life. 

Edited by Lhorn

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

These black women are losing jobs to models/actors that can cover multiple races/genders/sexualities. Crest teeth whitening uses one that is so inclusive I’m not sure they’re human.

If you aren't racially and sexually ambiguous you're a terrible person.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

There is definitely a stereotypical look that is over represented in commercials (compared to real life).  That look (very light skin, caucasian features, trim body, hair as above) which is attractive no doubt, represents 15% of what you see in real life, but is 85% of what you see in commercials. 

It’s no different that it’s ever been, advertisers using attractive people which I have no problem with.  They just aren’t all pretty blondes anymore.   But they are still idealized stereotypes and not representative of real life. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

These black women are losing jobs to models/actors that can cover multiple races/genders/sexualities. Crest teeth whitening uses one that is so inclusive I’m not sure they’re human.

At least one of these guys owns a MyPillow.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At least one of these guys owns a MyPillow.

What I’ve said is that there is a stereotype. I did not say it was good or bad.  Sounds like you don’t agree that a particular look is leaned on heavily.  I don’t care because I dont want to look at ugly people in commercials.  Sorry.  You don’t either.   

I get it.  You are the white knight who has to come in and pretend that Madison Avenue are just good people and not simply advertisers looking to associate their product witH pretty people so they’ll sell more.  

Edited by Lhorn

What I’ve said is that there is a stereotype. I did not say it was good or bad.  Sounds like you don’t agree that a particular look is leaned on heavily.  I don’t care because I dont want to look at ugly people in commercials.  Sorry.  You don’t either.   

I get it.  You are the white knight who has to come in and pretend that Madison Avenue are just good people and not simply advertisers looking to associate their product witH pretty people so they’ll sell more.  

Dont see you complaining about overrepresentation of bangable MILFs. Why do you give a fuck if a different type is repped? I dont get it.

And for the record, these white knights on Madison Avenue want to sell shit to young people as they have for 60 years. It’s both an art and a science. So in addition to appealing to Z’s values, they want their client to make money. And they’ll figure out ways to do so.

And to the olds, if you take notice of an ad, the ad just worked.

It’s no different that it’s ever been, advertisers using attractive people which I have no problem with.  They just aren’t all pretty blondes anymore.  

Thank you for reiterating exactly the point I made earlier.    They’re just selling products using very pretty people, just not exactly they same people they used to use.  

Edited by Lhorn

On 8/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

what in the holy fuck is going on with Camp Lejune?

The only lawyer I havent seen jumping on the bandwagon is our own stick-up-his-ass T J  H. 

well you just knew that ambulance chaser extraordinare, TJH couldnt just sit by and let that chance at free lawyer money go past without trying to get some for himself.

I finally saw a Lejune TJH commercial this morning.   god damn that man is a stain on this fucking state

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Whoever came up w the beard smeller commercial should be staked naked over a fire ant mound in south texas in august 

I second this motion.  Seriously, anyone responsible for the creation and approval of this ad should be unemployed as of today.

• Hook 'Em 3

All I know is that when I see a commercial with a black woman with the light frizzy hair now I chuckle and think of Derka. I mean I never noticed it until it was pointed out here but he's not wrong. And I crack up that it annoys him to the point that he put together a photographic montage to prove it. I get it, though. I just want to thank our Lord and Savior Tom Cruise that Discover stopped running the cash back cash match commercial. Someone is getting murdered if they bring it back. 

I absolutely cannot stand the new AT&T commercial with LeBron acting like he negotiated everyone getting a deal on the new iPhone. I’m not sure why, but I’ve never been a LeBron fan. He’s a good guy and absolutely respect his accomplishments, but he’s always seemed a little fake to me.

• Hook 'Em 5

I absolutely cannot stand the new AT&T commercial with LeBron acting like he negotiated everyone getting a deal on the new iPhone. I’m not sure why, but I’ve never been a LeBron fan. He’s a good guy and absolutely respect his accomplishments, but he’s always seemed a little fake to me.

I just stare at Lily and imagine doing unspeakable things to her starfish…

Trust me, it helps.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Yes LeBron is such a great guy. Ship his ass to China. El douchebag.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Maybe it's because he's an attention whore?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, ztejas said:

If you aren't racially and sexually ambiguous you're a terrible person.

I agree about the heavy-handed race and sexual orientation now the theme of almost every commercial. I also think the point about choosing black people who aren't tooooo black is generally good. However, I think you may be taking it too personally. I don't see it as a comment about me, a white man. It's just overbalancing.

There isn't a convention where ad agencies discuss race and sex strategies. I just think they all pitched the same idea at the same time and independently made a remarkable number of commercials flooded with people of color, mixed race marriages/families, and homosexuals.

I guess by seeing fewer white men at the head of white families, I get a tiny taste of what it's like for others to rarely see themselves in the TV world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm so damn tired of the sports book commercials. Especially the ones with JB. After making it through 'Curb' can't stand the man. Kevin Hart is barely tolerable. And the latest Foxx commercial where he calls the experts makes my eye twitch. But the worst part is I can't use the damn services in Texas, but I have to keep seeing the damn commercials.

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I agree about the heavy-handed race and sexual orientation now the theme of almost every commercial. I also think the point about choosing black people who aren't tooooo black is generally good. However, I think you may be taking it too personally. I don't see it as a comment about me, a white man. It's just overbalancing.

There isn't a convention where ad agencies discuss race and sex strategies. I just think they all pitched the same idea at the same time and independently made a remarkable number of commercials flooded with people of color, mixed race marriages/families, and homosexuals.

I guess by seeing fewer white men at the head of white families, I get a tiny taste of what it's like for others to rarely see themselves in the TV world. 

the weird thing for me is that there's no archetype for black men, only black women. black dudes in commercials can be tall, short, athletic, fat, handsome, ugly, cool, nerdy, light skinned, dark skinned, or even as black as whoopie goldberg's lips. there's no limit to what a black dude can look like in a commercial, but when it comes to women, we like em having one, specific, light skinned, curly haired, non threatening look. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Upwork TV and radio ads…..

Because hiring someone in part because they are a full grown adult fixated on:

-the perfect cup of coffee

-a truly impressive synthesize collection

-the perfect shade of green (“actually it’s Salem clover”)

- “makes the cutest box lunch we’ve ever seen”

….makes good business sense.  

Was watching the Cowboy game on my phone in bed last night trying not to wake the wife or toddler. Commercial comes on with some white lady walking up to the front desk with a bunch of company swag in a box... who's manning the front desk? Why it's a light skinned black woman with poofy hair! I almost woke everyone up laughing. 

• Haha 2

On 9/18/2022 at 9:36 PM, 83Horn said:

I second this motion.  Seriously, anyone responsible for the creation and approval of this ad should be unemployed as of today.

Agree.  One of the only takeaways I got from taking stupid advertising in college is that you never, ever want anything w/ a negative connotation to appear in your ad.  All people will think about is how gross the ad is.