Game Atmosphere

blacklab

9 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

it's a sing-a-long

Except it really isn't. I can't think of that song ever coming on anywhere and people immediately singing the words. It's more one of those songs that you hear at a restaurant and think "Why are they playing this?"

19 hours ago, Blutarski said:

Someone mentioned it upstream I believe, but they would totally screw it up next year if Bob Cole gets on there and says something scripted like  "Alright Longhorn fans, get your phones out and hook-ems up, it's time to sing"......

Bob Cole is the worst thing about going to UT games now. Such a douche. At the WV game I had 5-6 guys that were in town to experience Austin and the game. They were all in their 40s and good dudes. We traded jabs throughout the game, but I almost spit out my beer laughing when one of them turned to me in the 3rd quarter and asked/stated "Who is the strip joint announcer you have doing the PA"?........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Except it really isn't. I can't think of that song ever coming on anywhere and people immediately singing the words. It's more one of those songs that you hear at a restaurant and think "Why are they playing this?"

WTF?

I feel like when this song starts up with the piano, people start looking at each other with a smile and maybe even a chuckle. Then the first words "Just a small-town girl..." are always spoken out loud.

I remember a Christmas part in the early 2000s at Brookhollow Country Club (Dallas) where, after a few drinks, one of the "youngs" (early 30s) snuck off to the grand piano against the far wall and started playing the first few lines of this song and we all started laughing. Everyone under 40 thought that it was hilarious.

Also remember walking past an absolutely packed bar in Dublin's TEMPLE BAR and the entire bar was screaming the words to "Livin' On A Prayer" at the top of their lungs. (February 2007)

There are songs that are classic "sing-alongs". "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey and "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi are two such songs.

The youngs would probably know most of the words to this song without needing them up on the board (though the olds would be clueless) and there is good potential for killing the music during the "Oh, Oh, Oh,... Yeah, Yeah, Year" parts. You'd also probably have the entire student section dancing on the bleachers, which would make for good TV. (The song is meaningless fluff, but it would probably get a rabid reaction from the student section.)

• Like 1

Pussy by lords of acid when we play OU again and kyler takes the field.

Live performance by Rev Horton Heat. Jizz in my pants would work for when we play our next bowl game.

Alice In Chains- we die young when Herman has another quarterback injured.

It doesn't have anything to do with football or Texas, but neither does Sweet Caroline, so eff it.  I know from personal experience that Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl is a great drunken, having a great time sing along song.  Imagine 100,000+ people singing the "sha la la la la la la la la la la di da" part. Greatness.

Just a friend works as well. Even if you can’t play a piano.

13 hours ago, hotdogGT said:

Though It may be old and not ours I'd love to see the dramatic hamster one time as an homage on an opponent XP or feild goal attempt from the SEZ.. It would for sure work better than icing the kicker. I'll give it about a 43% chance of working. That shit was too funny.

CDC needs to quit pussyfooting around and strike a deal with Giphy so Adzillatron can finally up its meme game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

I could care only a smidge less what the fans wanna hear, we need to find something that’s going to get both the fans and more importantly the players hype 

Great, the players loved it based on Twitter. The recruits loved it. The student section loved it. If some blue hairs on the West side are going to bitch and moan let them bitch and moan. They're part of the reason DKR sounded more like the PCL.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 7:27 PM, Blutarski said:

Someone mentioned it upstream I believe, but they would totally screw it up next year if Bob Cole gets on there and says something scripted like  "Alright Longhorn fans, get your phones out and hook-ems up, it's time to sing"......

100%. Put the song over the speakers and let the fans take care of the rest. We don't need an announcer saying dumb shit. Unless it's Walter Cronkite I don't want to hear someone over the PA system telling me what to do. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Great, the players loved it based on Twitter. The recruits loved it. The student section loved it. If some blue hairs on the West side are going to bitch and moan let them bitch and moan. They're part of the reason DKR sounded more like the PCL.

I wasn’t talking about the song that played this past Saturday, I’m talking about other song options moving forward.  If we don’t throw in some songs that the youngsters playing on the team can vibe with then it won’t be a shiny thing anymore and it’s going to get played out. 

I don’t see the need to pick only one song like many other universities do. It could be that I am convinced that is the best route but my initial opinion is that we should keep the songs fresh. Who cares if the olds know the words or not it’s not like they’re adding much anyways 

Edited by GotThatFire

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Goin' anywhere

The song on Saturday night just worked....just did.  Everybody liked it and it was almost spontaneous....just felt right.  Night time had a lot to do with it....totally fun, and we were playing well, which didn't hurt.  Kind of like rubbing into your wife in the middle of the night after you've been asleep for a while and just having unexpected sex, then back to sleep.  And it goes on and on and on and on.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, Blutarski said:

That happens, and I’ll do something I swore I’d never do. Get a Twitter account.

That has to up there with the best newb posts ever. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
high praise

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Goin' anywhere

The song on Saturday night just worked....just did.  Everybody liked it and it was almost spontaneous....just felt right.  Night time had a lot to do with it....totally fun, and we were playing well, which didn't hurt.  Kind of like rubbing into your wife in the middle of the night after you've been asleep for a while and just having unexpected sex, then back to sleep.  And it goes on and on and on and on.

That was the cat. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Let's Hear It For The Boy. Nothin says Saturday Night Lights like Deniese Williams.

If we need a female singer, but still want a (strong) Texas tie, this offers plenty of screaming & dancing opportunities for the students.

...then she could lead the sing-along one game and the place would go nuts. (At least for everyone under 30 or so.)

• 2 months later...