Game Atmosphere

blacklab

it was pretty cool. it helped we were in control of the game and it was a night game. the only bad thing was they had the cheerleaders out there trying to do texas fight during it and I think the band was playing also.  just need to make sure we choreograph it right with them.  need more Texas Fight chants during the game.

does someone else do don't stop believing?

A ZZ Top song might be good.

22 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

How about instead of ‘Jump’ by LA’s House of Pain like everybody else they play ‘Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta’ (the radio version without the N word) by Texas’ own Geto Boys instead?

How about instead of ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ by SF’s Journey like everybody else they play ‘I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide’ by Texas’ own ZZ Top.

How About instead of ‘Sweet Caroline,’ like everybody else they play ‘Texas’ by Chris Rea.

A senior makes a great play, play ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’ by the 13th Floor Elevators.

The defense makes a stand, play ‘Tuff Enuff’ by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Almost halftime, how about ‘Una Mas Cerveza’ by the Texas Tornados.

The possibility’s are endless so why be common when you can be iconic?

Roy Orbison - You Got It, while we are at it

2 hours ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

I like the stadium experience and ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ is cool but since there are millions of songs, thousands of Texas artists and hundreds of songs about Texas, I sometimes wonder why we can’t tap into a more unique selection of songs that are bit less like the same songs played at so many other stadiums and more personal to Austin, Texas.

The problem is it has to be something everyone knows the words to. That cuts down the list of options considerably.

Edited by ztejas
Shitty grammar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

How about instead of ‘Jump’ by LA’s House of Pain like everybody else they play ‘Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta’ (the radio version without the N word) by Texas’ own Geto Boys instead?

How about instead of ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ by SF’s Journey like everybody else they play ‘I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide’ by Texas’ own ZZ Top.

How About instead of ‘Sweet Caroline,’ like everybody else they play ‘Texas’ by Chris Rea.

A senior makes a great play, play ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’ by the 13th Floor Elevators.

U tired of DaRude Sandstorm and the ohohohohoh song they play at every pathetic shit hole stadium in the country?

If this was your audition to be part of the Game Atmosphere Team.....ok, um, we’ll get back with you in 3 to 5 weeks.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

You “mass appeal” proponents do realize that the average 16 (and 30) year olds did not know the words to Jump, Sweet Carolie or Don’t Stop Believing UNTIL they became ubiquitous stadium things.

You think the only reason college students know the words to Don't Stop Believing is because it's played in stadiums?  Really?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

They put slippery rock’s score on the godzillatron at least once this year.

I've always wished that they'd bring Slippery Rock in to play a game at DKR one weekend when Texas was off.  I think that'd be a blast.

If they only played Dont Stop Believing and Mo Bamba for the rest of DKRs existence,  I'd be 1000% cool with that. As an old guy, sitting in the student section all year, that shit was ... lit. Bummed the home schedule is done. Great year to be a fan.

This. The areas near the student section are ridiculously fun now.

Mo Bamba has those kids energized. My 14 year old daughter loved it too.

Kids love that stuff - and kids are also the one that cheer loud. Make them happy and keep them engaged. Who cares what the olds love.
  • Like 2

I liked that the Journey song was used rather than a "We're Texas" song.
It was so refreshing to have something that has nothing to do with Austin or Texas or Cowboys or Steel Guitars...
For a long time (and maybe they still do), the Texas PA announcer would include the Slippery Rock football score at the end of long list of nationally ranked teams' & conference teams' scores. The randomness & obscurity of a score from Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania being a score that was announced last in every scoring update with the fans hoping that lowly Slippery Rock would be winning, or would have won their game was a great memory from games during my college days.
Having a song that people love, but that here-to-for had nothing to do with the state is a nice change from the norm.
And the announcing of the Slippery Rock scores led to an exchange of visits by Texas and Slippery Rock cheerleaders to respective football games and led to the Slippery Rock student body president who came with their cheerleaders on the trip to Texas coming to Texas Law School. He lived on my floor in Jester my freshman year and his first year in law school. How he didn't flunk out is a wonder with all the shennanigans that went on that year. But he didn't.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Just got paid has a better riff

i was actually going to say Just got paid basically for the opening riff which gets people moving but it's not a real good sing a long.

It either needs to be a bouncy beat like a foo fighters, a swaying song like sweet caroline/don't stop believing.  I'm sure there is a fleetwood mac song I'm missing. 

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

i was actually going to say Just got paid basically for the opening riff which gets people moving but it's not a real good sing a long.

It either needs to be a bouncy beat like a foo fighters, a swaying song like sweet caroline/don't stop believing.  I'm sure there is a fleetwood mac song I'm missing. 

Sweet child o' mine.

• Like 1

I thought "Africa" went over well at the WVU game.  Even the 11 year old in front of me knew the words (good parenting, I assume).

Feel like Sharp-Dressed Man and Tush were the most singable ZZ Top songs.  La Grange is my fave, though.  

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Texas games and Texas atmosphere has been atrocious since I remember.  We've never been an intimidating stadium.  Games like 08 mizzou, notre dame, usc were awesome and I like that CDC is trying to get our gameday experience to be more rowdy.  The students brought it this year and it was all because of CDC's and Herman's efforts.   That journey song was fucking awesome and it got the stadium involved and the players loved it, the students loved it, and the recruits loved it.  We're not even close but there's no reason why our stadium and gameday experience shouldn't be at the top of college football with the likes of LSU, Clemson, etc.  I hope that stadium is rocking for LSU next year.  I will be there screaming my ass off like I was this year for USC.  

Release the kraken.

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

If they only played Dont Stop Believing and Mo Bamba for the rest of DKRs existence,  I'd be 1000% cool with that. As an old guy, sitting in the student section all year, that shit was ... lit. Bummed the home schedule is done. Great year to be a fan.

You are not old.  I will out-old you.

40 minutes ago, 4Pete said:

I thought "Africa" went over well at the WVU game.  Even the 11 year old in front of me knew the words (good parenting, I assume).

Feel like Sharp-Dressed Man and Tush were the most singable ZZ Top songs.  La Grange is my fave, though.  

cheap sunglasses has the best crowd yell it out line but the song is meh.

It doesn't have anything to do with football or Texas, but neither does Sweet Caroline, so eff it.  I know from personal experience that Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl is a great drunken, having a great time sing along song.  Imagine 100,000+ people singing the "sha la la la la la la la la la la di da" part. Greatness.

• Like 1

The “Don’t stop believing” and “livin on a prayer” moments were great last night. Because they were totally unscripted and spontaneous, and because it was the students who led both of it. It was really fun to watch and great to see in person. The internet poster olds and cynical gen x’rs need to take a time out. I think it inspired the team even more, not that they really needed it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

It doesn't have anything to do with football or Texas, but neither does Sweet Caroline, so eff it.  I know from personal experience that Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl is a great drunken, having a great time sing along song.  Imagine 100,000+ people singing the "sha la la la la la la la la la la di da" part. Greatness.

Liberace and Elton John thinks this idea is gay 

• Like 1