Game Atmosphere

blacklab

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I bet most people there would know the road goes on forever, and only aggy would give a shit that keen is aggy. 

Maybe crazy eddies last hurrah for a localish song. 

Or:

I bet Amy's back in Austin, workin' at La Zona Rosa cafeW

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

The “Don’t stop believing” and “livin on a prayer” moments were great last night. Because they were totally unscripted and spontaneous, and because it was the students who led both of it. It was really fun to watch and great to see in person. The internet poster olds and cynical gen x’rs need to take a time out. I think it inspired the team even more, not that they really needed it. 

Pretty symbolic of the night as well as we needed help to get to the Big 12 championship game, we never stopped believing and Oklahoma State answered a prayer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

The “Don’t stop believing” and “livin on a prayer” moments were great last night. Because they were totally unscripted and spontaneous, and because it was the students who led both of it. It was really fun to watch and great to see in person. The internet poster olds and cynical gen x’rs need to take a time out. I think it inspired the team even more, not that they really needed it. 

Someone mentioned it upstream I believe, but they would totally screw it up next year if Bob Cole gets on there and says something scripted like  "Alright Longhorn fans, get your phones out and hook-ems up, it's time to sing"......

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Blutarski said:

Someone mentioned it upstream I believe, but they would totally screw it up next year if Bob Cole gets on there and says something scripted like  "Alright Longhorn fans, get your phones out and hook-ems up, it's time to sing"......

Would Fucking kill it

35 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Liberace and Elton John thinks this idea is gay 

A song about making love to a brown-eyed girl is gay?  Okay, how about Jerry Jeff Walker's "Sangria Wine"?  Would 100,000K+ singing the "Whooooooooooooooooo I love sangria wine" part be less gay?  Added bonus is that this song is a least a bit Texas themed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

What was contrived about it?

Cheesy, yes.

Of course it was kind of cheesy. That’s what made it great. It’s fucking journey and Bon Jovi. The players loved it. Steve Perry can sing.  Apparently the youngs like it. Deal with it. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 6

I thought "Africa" went over well at the WVU game.  Even the 11 year old in front of me knew the words (good parenting, I assume).

If you're speaking of the Toto song, there's a current remake that the 11 year-old is probably singing.  I know because my 6 year-old knows all the words as well.

The remake is by Weezer, btw.

40 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Journey and Bon Jovi beats the shit out of the “urban” music that most millennials are into for some reason these days.  Need to mix a little more 80s hair metal. Some Aldo Nova would be a fine start.  

In Jr High you would get your ass kicked if you had Journey or Bon Jovi on your shit. It was AC DC or Iron Maiden. I rather hear the band than a bunch of ghey rock ballads.

This is probably the best recording I've seen and captures what it felt like on the field. Was it cheesy and unoriginal? Yes, but I don't care if you hate Journey or simply hate the song Don't Stop Believing with every fiber in your body, if you didn't think this was cool as shit then you need to have your head examined. I'm not saying make the song itself a tradition but we need more stuff like this on game day.

https://twitter.com/TexasLonghorns/status/1064002049430310912

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I bet most people there would know the road goes on forever, and only aggy would give a shit that keen is aggy. 

Maybe crazy eddies last hurrah for a localish song. 

And aggy would lose their shit if we appropriated it.  I'm in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

I like the stadium experience and ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ is cool but since there are millions of songs, thousands of Texas artists and hundreds of songs about Texas, I sometimes wonder why we can’t tap into a more unique selection of songs that are bit less like the same songs played at so many other stadiums and more personal to Austin, Texas.

They played this song towards the end:

• Like 2

Journey and Bon Jovi beats the shit out of the “urban” music that most millennials are into for some reason these days.  Need to mix a little more 80s hair metal. Some Aldo Nova would be a fine start.  

Why not just say n word music? We all know that’s what you mean. Rap/hip hop is most popular genre in the US
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

In Jr High you would get your ass kicked if you had Journey or Bon Jovi on your shit. It was AC DC or Iron Maiden. I rather hear the band than a bunch of ghey rock ballads.

So you are voting for run to the hills for next season?

thunderstruck actually says we went to Texas, but it’s so damn overplayed. 

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That was NEVER said during my years in Austin. 

(Though I did miss a beat down of #3 UofH that fell in between my start & finish, but when I was not enrolled on the 40 Acres.)

Was there for that. That was my first ever game. Hell of a game to be your first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I liked that the Journey song was used rather than a "We're Texas" song.

It was so refreshing to have something that has nothing to do with Austin or Texas or Cowboys or Steel Guitars...

For a long time (and maybe they still do), the Texas PA announcer would include the Slippery Rock football score at the end of long list of nationally ranked teams' & conference teams' scores. The randomness & obscurity of a score from Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania being a score that was announced last in every scoring update with the fans hoping that lowly Slippery Rock would be winning, or would have won their game was a great memory from games during my college days.

Having a song that people love, but that here-to-for had nothing to do with the state is a nice change from the norm.

CSB: I had a Slippery Rock hat that I'd bought on account of that. I was in Oxnard, CA for the annual Strawberry Festival -- I can't remember the year, but I remember that my son was still in a stroller and my sister-in-law didn't come because of the SARS scare -- and an older fella saw my hat. Turns out he knew the guy who was the AD at SRU that started all that, by trying to market SRU Athletics by trying to get big-time universities to announce the score.

He didn't know the rest of the story, about how Wally Pryor did it, how we sent cheerleaders to Pennsylvania on an exchange and everything.

And a good bud of mine here in town is an SRU grad.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

CSB: I had a Slippery Rock hat that I'd bought on account of that. I was in Oxnard, CA for the annual Strawberry Festival -- I can't remember the year, but I remember that my son was still in a stroller and my sister-in-law didn't come because of the SARS scare -- and an older fella saw my hat. Turns out he knew the guy who was the AD at SRU that started all that, by trying to market SRU Athletics by trying to get big-time universities to announce the score.

He didn't know the rest of the story, about how Wally Pryor did it, how we sent cheerleaders to Pennsylvania on an exchange and everything.

I considered buying a Slippery Rock ball cap in the early days of the internet.

According to the interwebz, the SARS scare was in ~2003-ish.

I never made it to the Strawberry Festival in Oxnard, but I have gone to the Whole Foods there and it is monstrous. Also took the train there from San Jose, down through Central California past S.L.O. and finally hit the coast about 30 to 60 minutes before Santa Barbara. Oxnard today is completely different than Oxnard 2003.

Though It may be old and not ours I'd love to see the dramatic hamster one time as an homage on an opponent XP or feild goal attempt from the SEZ.. It would for sure work better than icing the kicker. I'll give it about a 43% chance of working. That shit was too funny.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

For the past 15 years my 80 year old brother has worn a Slippery Rock cap & T-shirt to the first home game - just to show nostalgic solidarity with the guy ( a SR grad) who has sat in the row behind him all that time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Vince Young and team always warmed up to "urban" music. WTF you talkin' about?! Below are two songs whose instrumentals I explicitly recall hearing at DKR during the VY era.

And considering many of our football players enjoy "urban music," maybe the music played during the game should cater to them. That would make too much sense right @cabowabo?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
7 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why not just say n word music? We all know that’s what you mean. Rap/hip hop is most popular genre in the US

Fuck off snowflake.

Negged. 

You called him a snowflake because he called you out for saying "urban" music.  You are the one to typed it in quotes making it imply something.  We all knew what you meant, and he just called you out on it.  Own up to it. 

You're the one acting like the snowflake because everyone on this board knew you meant n-word music. 

Back to the topic--

It looked cool on tv. 

Playing "Texas" music is dumb.  Play what gets the team and crowd into the game. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I considered buying a Slippery Rock ball cap in the early days of the internet.

According to the interwebz, the SARS scare was in ~2003-ish.

I never made it to the Strawberry Festival in Oxnard, but I have gone to the Whole Foods there and it is monstrous. Also took the train there from San Jose, down through Central California past S.L.O. and finally hit the coast about 30 to 60 minutes before Santa Barbara. Oxnard today is completely different than Oxnard 2003.

This was more like 2005 or 2006; my son wasn't born yet in 2003. I remember making fun of her for being afraid of an outbreak that had been well contained by that point. I think there had been another scare in the media about it that turned out to be nonsense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, APMP said:
17 hours ago, ztejas said:
Yuck. No thanks. 

I think of Go Your Own Way when it comes to a Fleetwood singalong, because after the second time even the idiots know the words to the repeating chorus line.

Yes. Go Your Own Way >>>>>>> Don't Stop.

Don't Stop is such a cheesedick song. 

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm sure it's mentioned upthread...  and this is captain obvious statement.....  there seems to be a strong correlation between night games and game atmosphere.

Yup.....light show would suck at an 11am game.  But that wouldn't stop the jumbotron dorks from trying to make it happen

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm sure it's mentioned upthread...  and this is captain obvious statement.....  there seems to be a strong correlation between night games and game atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

Yup.....light show would suck at an 11am game.  But that wouldn't stop the jumbotron dorks from trying to make it happen

Apparently, the engineering students in Ann Arbor came up with a solution to this 7 years ago for a day game.

Day drinking needs to be strongly encouraged.