Texas vs USC Game Thread

Vertigo

33 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Dangerous Bevo is best Bevo.

Until he hurts someone.

16 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m afraid it will happen before the year is out too.

If some ding dong causes us to lose Crunk Bevo because they won't move, I may have to go 'Punisher' on their ass.

Love seeing the young man show off. Hopefully, he catches that wagon and tears shit up come October.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

My daughter and I were leaving the game from students side so we worked our way by the LHN set to see what they were saying, then headed through the tunnel in the south end zone with a thousand rowdy fans. As we were right under the the players ramp, Ehlinger, Hager, Kris Boyd and some others pulled the tarps back to yell/wave/take a bow.  The noise under there at that point was absolutely deafening. 

I sat next to a group of somewhat knowledgeable/personable USC fans.

They were shocked that their D got as worn down as it did, and that Sam was able to convert so many third and longs. They said their O was young, but their defense was the strength of their team. They couldn’t believe the run yard differential.

They also loved the call to go for it on 4th and goal that wound up being a huge stop for us. All of them were super pumped about the call, even after they didn’t convert. 

They complained about the officiating, but can’t really blame them there.

They also all cleared out after the scoop and score, and I gave them some ideas of places to go downtown - although since I don’t go down their much (if st all) anymore, who knows if the suggestions were good or not. 

They also loved the call to go for it on 4th and goal that wound up being a huge stop for us. All of them were super pumped about the call, even after they didn’t convert. 

Brandon Jones got that stop right?  I almost lost my voice screaming after that play.

Jones is looking good.  Whenever he comes up in run support, he's automatic.  Hits hard and tackles really well.  Last week i think, Tulsa was trying to get to the edge, Jones got low, picked up the dude's lead leg and drove right through him.  Text book.  

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Brandon Jones got that stop right?  I almost lost my voice screaming after that play.

Jones is looking good.  Whenever he comes up in run support, he's automatic.  Hits hard and tackles really well.  Last week i think, Tulsa was trying to get to the edge, Jones got low, picked up the dude's lead leg and drove right through him.  Text book.  

Jones did not play against Tulsa. I thought he was pretty up and down last night but the 4th and goal stop was a really nice play, really bailed out Davis, who had the running back dead to rights but took a mind-numbingly terrible angle.

14 minutes ago, hornian said:

They also all cleared out after the scoop and score, and I gave them some ideas of places to go downtown - although since I don’t go down their much (if st all) anymore, who knows if the suggestions were good or not. 

you told them to go to oil can harry's, didn't you?

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Jones did not play against Tulsa. I thought he was pretty up and down last night but the 4th and goal stop was a really nice play, really bailed out Davis, who had the running back dead to rights but took a mind-numbingly terrible angle.

whoops you are right.  It might have been Maryland that I was thinking of.

Dangerous Bevo is best Bevo.
Until he hurts someone.

At the OU game two years ago we were sitting right down with Bevo. One second he was docile, almost playful with his handler. In the blink of an eye, he just suddenly speared his handler in the arm with his left horn, and that dude was hurt pretty good. It was so fast. Bevo was quick. For the rest of the game his arm was immobile and you could see him wincing every few minutes.

23 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If some ding dong causes us to lose Crunk Bevo because they won't move, I may have to go 'Punisher' on their ass.

Love seeing the young man show off. Hopefully, he catches that wagon and tears shit up come October.

I dunno he looks kind of over fed, I think the Dudes can slow him down before he goes loco

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Does USC's OL really sucks that bad, or is Texas front 7 better than what they showed in the previous two games?  I have to think it's the former, but I hope it's a bit of both and Texas is improving.

The OL is that bad. We have had the same damn issues for the past 3 years. Zone blocking with players who either do not understand the scheme, or are not capable of executing. Alleged OL coach Callaway is completely inept in developing talent. We have the horses, but no trainer. Not taking anything away from Texas’ front 7, I realized the above probably reads badly. 

• Like 3

So much this. Davis made such a terrible play on that one that I mentioned at the time he owes Jones a night with his girlfriend.

The OL is that bad. We have had the same damn issues for the past 3 years. Zone blocking with players who either do not understand the scheme, or are not capable of executing. Alleged OL coach Callaway is completely inept in developing talent. We have the horses, but no trainer. Not taking anything away from Texas’ front 7, I realized the above probably reads badly. 
I agree it's some of both but Orlando's defense did the same thing last year. Started out slowly against the run then by the end of the year we were basically stuffing run games with a front 5.

13 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

What's with the cogent and well thought out reply?  Something wrong with you?  

Our 2 programs are in very similar positions and rational minds would acknowledge that.

Didn’t jones miss the tackle on that first td run up the gut? How that back came out of that was beyond me.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:
1 hour ago, USC_TMB said:

Read more  

I agree it's some of both but Orlando's defense did the same thing last year. Started out slowly against the run then by the end of the year we were basically stuffing run games with a front 5.

No doubt, Orlando dialed up a helluva defense, hopefully y’all can get a better read against a real offense with blocking and catching and such.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

What's with the cogent and well thought out reply?  Something wrong with you?  

Our 2 programs are in very similar positions and rational minds would acknowledge that.

Still picking pieces of Texas’ boots out of our ass brings a lot of clarity *shrug*

All but the most deluded homers know USC succeeded in spite of the coaching, not because of it. If not for Sam Darnold going schoolyard the past two seasons, we would not be a .500 team.

I hope we can renew the series when both schools are back to the level they should be at.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Still picking pieces of Texas’ boots out of our ass brings a lot of clarity *shrug*

All but the most deluded homers know USC succeeded in spite of the coaching, not because of it. If not for Sam Darnold going schoolyard the past two seasons, we would not be a .500 team.

I hope we can renew the series when both schools are back to the level they should be at.

Hope it happens

It takes a real man to admit his mistakes. We have all been perplexed by our slow tempo offense, why the best running backs were on the sidelines, why Collin Johnson was not more involved, and why our passing game consisted of inept screens and desperate lobs down the sidelines. The game last night was an acknowledgment by Tom Herman that much of the criticism directed at him was valid. It can't be a coincidence that the laundry list of complaints made by the media and the fans were almost all addressed. I loved the vicious hits. With that level of intensity I will enjoy watching them play anyone - win or lose.

It takes a real man to admit his mistakes. We have all been perplexed by our slow tempo offense, why the best running backs were on the sidelines, why Collin Johnson was not more involved, and why our passing game consisted of inept screens and desperate lobs down the sidelines. The game last night was an acknowledgment by Tom Herman that much of the criticism directed at him was valid. It can't be a coincidence that the laundry list of complaints made by the media and the fans were almost all addressed. I loved the vicious hits. With that level of intensity I will enjoy watching them play anyone - win or lose.

Herman reads the Surly?

On the non-safety play, am I the only one who thinks we should have handed the ball off 3 times hoping for a 1st down, but being satisfied with more room to work with on the punt? As it turned out, the short run to the punter gave us a 1st down, but I didn't like Sam scrambling around in his own end zone. History suggests that having him drop back in what he may feel is a desperate situation is dicey, at best. Generally, I saw some improved play calling. This and the throwback to Sam, and the failure to throw more to TE/FB in the middle of the field being the exceptions.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I'm not sure how much contact he even made but it looked like the step right before he threw his hand out was the one where the kicker tore it.

This. No. 40 (McGrath) went down with no contact while in desperation pursuit from an awkward step on rhe turf. I feel bad for the guy since he was a non-factor on the play at that point and pretty much would be for the rest of the game anyway. Plus, he is a kicker, and the injury is a torn ACL on the leg he kicks with. It would be hard to find any player feeling worse than that guy after the game. Good luck to him.

25 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This. No. 40 (McGrath) went down with no contact while in desperation pursuit from an awkward step on rhe turf. I feel bad for the guy since he was a non-factor on the play at that point and pretty much would be for the rest of the game anyway. Plus, he is a kicker, and the injury is a torn ACL on the leg he kicks with. It would be hard to find any player feeling worse than that guy after the game. Good luck to him.

it was weird because it happened almost simultaneously I thought the kicker was going "soccer guy" and trying to draw some kind of penalty initially.  yeah sucks for the guy.  I'd probably tell my kicker not to try to tackle a guy on a blocked field goal or XP.  the likely-hood of making a play is pretty much nil.  my son(WR) tore his ACL senior year in HS, 3rd game.  he wasn't playing college so it was a real kick in the nuts.

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I'm not sure how much contact he even made but it looked like the step right before he threw his hand out was the one where the kicker tore it.

One of the interviews with a USC guy referred to it as a noncontact injury. I think he was trying to juke a Texas blocker before going into heat-seeking missile mode. 

• immamac unfeatured this topic