Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

None of it makes any fucking sense!!!!

Texas governor gets ripped for tweeting fake Winston Churchill quote

Sharing fake inspirational quotes is a pretty pervasive thing on the internet. It's easy to ignore and laugh off -- at least until a high-ranking elected official posts a misattributed quote for all to see.

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott shared the following tweet, featuring a quote wrongly attributed to late U.K. Prime Minister Winston Churchill. 

3CD775B6-9015-4B1D-9377-DB33D8734E24_zps

Abbott, a Republican, shared what he thinks is a quote about fascism by one of history's great leaders, presumably looking to take part of the ongoing online argument over fascists, anti-fascists, and the state of our modern politics. The tweet had been retweeted nearly 1,500 times as of 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday but was deleted shortly thereafter. 

But turns out, the quote's been thoroughly debunked as a Churchill quip and is instead attributed to former Louisiana Senator Huey Long. And even then it's difficult to find any concrete evidence of the quote's veracity. 

Twitter was, as always, quick to jump on Abbott's mistake, mocking the image source (viral GIF and photo site 9GAG is hardly an authority on historical accuracy) and making up their own versions of Abbott's gaffe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/texas-governor-greg-abbott-fake-winston-churchill-quote.amp/

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

A famine on the other side of the world during the largest war in history can not be blamed on Churchill.  Blame the Germans and Japanese for making it so hard to ship food to them.  Churchill couldn't call timeout to send them as much food as they needed.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A famine on the other side of the world during the largest war in history can not be blamed on Churchill.  Blame the Germans and Japanese for making it so hard to ship food to them.  Churchill couldn't call timeout to send them as much food as they needed.

Horseshit.

Some three million Indians died in the famine of 1943. The majority of the deaths were in Bengal. In a shocking new book, Churchill's Secret War, journalist Madhusree Mukherjee blames Mr Churchill's policies for being largely responsible for one of the worst famines in India's history. It is a gripping and scholarly investigation into what must count as one of the most shameful chapters in the history of the Empire.

The scarcity, Mukherjee writes, was caused by large-scale exports of food from India for use in the war theatres and consumption in Britain - India exported more than 70,000 tonnes of rice between January and July 1943, even as the famine set in. This would have kept nearly 400,000 people alive for a full year. Mr Churchill turned down fervent pleas to export food to India citing a shortage of ships - this when shiploads of Australian wheat, for example, would pass by India to be stored for future consumption in Europe. As imports dropped, prices shot up and hoarders made a killing. Mr Churchill also pushed a scorched earth policy - which went by the sinister name of Denial Policy - in coastal Bengal where the colonisers feared the Japanese would land. So authorities removed boats (the lifeline of the region) and the police destroyed and seized rice stocks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/soutikbiswas/2010/10/how_churchill_starved_india.html

If Churchill can be hero then Stalin can be one, too.  Sorry.

Edited by Fozzz

He also sent lots of British soldiers to their deaths and killed countless German civilians through bombing raids carried out by the RAF.  All because of a war he didn't start.  You are blaming the wrong person.  If he had carried out the same actions in the 50's, I'd be right there with you condemning him.  You just can't ignore the situation he was in though.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'll ask again, that's not real is it?

I honestly believe their thinking was probably, "Shit! We tried to smear Beto's image with a mugshot, but people responded that he looked handsome and cool.  We need to make a fake mugshot to make Ted seem cool.  Let's give him some fake tats, abs, and a cig."

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I honestly believe their thinking was probably, "Shit! We tried to smear Beto's image with a mugshot, but people responded that he looked handsome and cool.  We need to make a fake mugshot to make Ted seem cool.  Let's give him some fake tats, abs, and a cig."

And they say the Dems are out of touch.  Good god.  Maybe next they'll show him wearing Girbaud jeans and a slap bracelet.  Yes, I grew up in the 90s.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

"We need to make sure that the Mexicans remember that Ted Cruz is basically a Mexican.  Lets brainstorm all the things we know about Mexicans real quick and work something up so that they will identify with him."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

To be clear, they didn't make the image. A right-wing street artist created it for Cruz a couple of years ago to help his presidential campaign, trying to do for Cruz what Shepard Fairey's HOPE poster did for Obama.   Cruz even sold it on his website:

http://www.inkedmag.com/ted-cruz-embraces-tattooed-alter-ego/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hesitate to even report this on a message board, but some conservative poster in my circle of FB friends has been very insistent with claims that Beto has taken PAC mone in this cycle. If proven true that could be much more harmful to his campaign than the details of his DWI. 

That is probably the stupid J Street claim. J Street is consolidating individual contributions through their website. Cruz's campaign keeps claiming it is a PAC donation (from Soros) rather than what it actual is.

You can go to opensecrets and see that he has no received PAC money.

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In fairness, Cruz had nothing to lose with that ad unless Beto accuses Cruz of being a sleeper cell for MS-13.

Nah, Cruz is just after the MS-13 vote since Republicans have been so successful building up their image.

I am surprised there isn't a Gangs Against Legalization PAC funneling money to Republicans.

16 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why is Stalin always described as a monster for Holodomor while Churchill always gets the "one of history's great leaders" treatment in spite of what he did to Bengal?  Come on, Mashable, get your shit together.

Because the Holodomor was the intended result of Stalin's genocidal policies, and the Bengali famine was the result of bureaucratic incompetence and neglect in wartime.

17 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Nah, Cruz is just after the MS-13 vote since Republicans have been so successful building up their image.

I am surprised there isn't a Gangs Against Legalization PAC funneling money to Republicans.

He should be, since MS-13 is going to steal the election apparently.

37 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think that Cruz poster is recycled from his Presidential campaign.  I remember seeing an image of him tatted up with a cig.  It was an equally lame joke then and now.

edit - well I see this has been covered.

I don't think it is a joke.  That's the thing.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.

16 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

Beto needs to rent JerryWorld for a massive townhall and put in a call statewide, hell nationwide, to fill that motherfucker up on the same day that orange-faced shitbag comes to Texas for a Cruz rally  

You think he could round up 100k people for a rally?