Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

I lived in the valley probably longer than brisket did and had a Hispanic nickname.  If i as a Democrat running for statewide office I’d use it to, and my last name wouldn’t be on any campaign material.  Just like Beto.  Even though I’m a privileged white male.  
Libs often are against cultural appropriation.  

They called you "Pinche Bolillo" didn't they?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Hell he might even do that out of habit without even realizing it.

I think Trump screws over Ted just by being Trump.  Whatever he says will be about himself, not Cruz.  If he does say something it will come off as hugely disingenuous.  Trump will screw it up for TC, just because it's his nature to screw everything up.

3 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I don’t see Ted on the list. There must be some mistake.

Sarcasm, right?

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah. But I don’t pretend to be Mexican to dupe gullible voters.  

I also haven’t gotten away with being a burglar or drunk driver due to white privilege.  

Cruz is not a Mexican.  He is of Cuban descent.  But the biggest word on the majority of his campaign paraphernalia is CRUZ.    I don't see him trying to explain to the voters he's really not a Mexican either. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

No. That’s not my argument.  My argument is that he uses his nickname because he wants to cater to Hispanics and white guilt libs.  

I lived in the valley probably longer than brisket did and had a Hispanic nickname.  If i as a Democrat running for statewide office I’d use it to, and my last name wouldn’t be on any campaign material.  Just like Beto.  Even though I’m a privileged white male.  

Libs often are against cultural appropriation.  

Do you think Beto was trying snooker Latinos in this pic?

https://www.expressnews.com/news/news_columnists/gilbert_garcia/article/Why-the-GOP-is-obsessed-with-O-Rourke-s-13195257.php

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:
True or false:
1. A significant amount of voters for Beto will think he’s Hispanic?
2. His campaign is aware of that and taking advantage?

No. A significant amount of voters won't think he's Hispanic. His last name is O'Rourke. People associate surnames with ethnicity more than first names or nicknames. I know this because I'm Hispanic with a white last name.

does robert o have to be on the ballot or will it look like robert "beto" o? if its robert o, i think he loses some votes having traded on beto... but i dont know those voting rules. i can see a william "bill" clinton...but beto is different and dont know the rules of how it will appear on the ballot.

The repubs are in full blown panic mode. They've already fired their dirt on Beto and it blew back in their face. Cruz was lazy as usual and didn't take Beto seriously early on. Now his message is out and it's genuine grassroots support. They're fucked.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Beto is his fucking name. That thing that people have called you since you were a little kid? It’s called “your name.”

I go by a nickname. Professionally. Judges call me by that name. Congressmen have. A jillion Texans go by their nickname, in every aspect of their lives.

You trying to trick the white man!

You have to wonder if the national party may abandon Cruz at some point.  Yes, they may only need to convince <5% of Texas voters to vote for Ted in order to keep the seat safe for the Gop.  But they will have to buy ads in Dallas, Houston, Austin and SA to accomplish that.   $$$

Or they could take that same money and look to win the smaller states like ND, NV, MO and IN

Obviously they want to only spend enough in each state to win by 1 vote but that is a risky strategy for McConnell.  He can afford to lose Cruz if he takes the other states.  Flip that around, and he is the minority leader with Cruz sitting next to him.

I seriously doubt this isn’t being discussed in DC and at GOP donor meetings as well.  At what point do you privately tell Cruz that he’s on his own?

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Johnny sack making an ass of himself on the Cruz Beto thread last night. Was good for a chuckle this am.

To hear the sack tell it you’d think beto just started calling himself that last year. 

Exactly.  From all evidence Beto has gone by Beto since day 1. Whereas we know Ted went by Felito.   Felito Cruz ain’t winning the GOP primary so I don’t blame him for changing his name.   But I guess Cruz supporters like typing out Robert Francis ORourke.

You have to wonder if the national party may abandon Cruz at some point.  Yes, they may only need to convince Or they could take that same money and look to win the smaller states like ND, NV, MO and IN
Obviously they want to only spend enough in each state to win by 1 vote but that is a risky strategy for McConnell.  He can afford to lose Cruz if he takes the other states.  Flip that around, and he is the minority leader with Cruz sitting next to him.
I seriously doubt this isn’t being discussed in DC and at GOP donor meetings as well.  At what point do you privately tell Cruz that he’s on his own?

Texas is a bigger issue than this race. If Texas goes reliably blue or even purple in Statewide races then the Republican Party is effectively dead. Not trump killed my party dead but no power in the Senate or the White House until it becomes a more progressive party dead. So the fight in this Senate race is a proxy for that larger fight. It would be better for Republicans to lose the senate in purple or less populous states but not lose what were reliably red senate seats in game set match states like Texas. In fact there is no more critical state for Republicans than Texas. They will go all in against Robert Francis the Mexican.
  • Like 2

Exactly.  From all evidence Beto has gone by Beto since day 1. Whereas we know Ted went by Felito.   Felito Cruz ain’t winning the GOP primary so I don’t blame him for changing his name.   But I guess Cruz supporters like typing out Robert Francis ORourke.

Fellatio Cruz? Has a nice ring to it, don’t know why he’d drop that name for Ted.

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes there is a threat that Beto is the start of Texas turning purple but a red state can have a dem senator.   Beto could very well win this year and lose in 6 years.   Texas is still a long way off from reliably voting Dem.

That the GOP feels panicked and the need to send in the Calvary to help Cruz should puncture the myth that “Texas is a red state no matter what,” even if Beto loses by a few points.

Yes Dems will need to work harder than the Republicans to win, but it can be done with the right candidate and the right message.

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That the GOP feels panicked and the need to send in the Calvary to help Cruz should puncture the myth that “Texas is a red state no matter what,” even if Beto loses by a few points.

Yes Dems will need to work harder than the Republicans to win, but it can be done with the right candidate and the right message.

They’ll never admit it’s turning purple. 

“Historic Dem year”

”Cruz is widely unpopular”

anything to keep it going 

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes there is a threat that Beto is the start of Texas turning purple but a red state can have a dem senator.   Beto could very well win this year and lose in 6 years.   Texas is still a long way off from reliably voting Dem.

True, but in six years a lot of Boomers will have passed and a lot of young Texans will have reached voting age. The key for Dems is getting the young vote to the polls as they lean blue. That, and getting Hispanics to overwhelmingly vote blue. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you consider 2020 a long way off.

Beto is 2 years ahead of schedule and may help some other dems win statewide office where they can prevent the worse gerrymandering. Even so the demographic shifts are happening faster than a person who does not bother to look at the real numbers would think.

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sack’s in full troll mode, but I love how all of the “he’s only doing this to get the Hispanic vote” truthers conveniently ignore that the Democratic candidate for governor is about as Hispanic as humanly possible, and she is going to be absolutely demolished by Lt. Dan.

This ain't getting near enough love 

If you consider 2020 a long way off.
Beto is 2 years ahead of schedule and may help some other dems win statewide office where they can prevent the worse gerrymandering. Even so the demographic shifts are happening faster than a person who does not bother to look at the real numbers would think.
This statewide organization and mobilization Beto is building is going to be huge statewide going forward.

As far as gerrymandering goes,let's end that shit. Do a bipartisan citizens commission or something. One of the Senate candidates support s ending gerrymandering. Hint: It's not Felito.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Texas73 said:

True, but in six years a lot of Boomers will have passed and a lot of young Texans will have reached voting age. The key for Dems is getting the young vote to the polls as they lean blue. That, and getting Hispanics to overwhelmingly vote blue. 

Just need a few more GOPpers insinuating how stupid they are because they only vote straight ticket due to the names on the ballot.

26 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

This statewide organization and mobilization Beto is building is going to be huge statewide going forward.

As long as the state party can utilize it and it doesn't fall by the wayside like what Obama did. To keep it going forward, Beto and the party will have to work together. We'll see if they do.

11 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

As long as the state party can utilize it and it doesn't fall by the wayside like what Obama did. To keep it going forward, Beto and the party will have to work together. We'll see if they do.

Obama's org was in blue and swing states. He didnt do much in TX or other red states. It didnt fall by the wayside either.  Hillary just ignored the Midwest so they didnt GOTV for her.  Many of them were openly pissed for her failure to reach out. 

A Presidential campaign org doesnt matter though. Dems need to build on what Beto and Jones have done and do that in every state, even ones that are completely red. Its all about local people being involved in local races and keeping young people engaged politically. The local races are actually more important than the federal ones.

Saw another Beto sign in my little Midland neighborhood last night. I'm not naive enough to think Midland is anywhere close to going blue, but that's two more democratic signs than I've ever seen before and still no Cruz signs. I think it speaks to the energy felt by Beto supporters and the apathy felt by Cruz supporters combined with the fact that many Republicans probably don't want to admit that they support Cruz so they'll just quietly vote for him.

1 minute ago, MidTexHorn said:

... and still no Cruz signs. ...

FWIW, the dearth of Cruz signs appears to be the result of an epic fail from the Cruz campaign:

Cruz later fielded a question about signs from the local member of the State Republican Executive Committee, Mike McCloskey.

"The one question I get asked universally, everywhere is, 'We’re seeing signs that say 'Robert Francis' in our neighbors’ yards, and we want to claim our territory and have your signs in our yards,'" McCloskey told Cruz, using O'Rourke's birth name. "I think people here are wanting those. What can we do to get those in the hands of the folks that want to have them in their yard?"

"That’s a question we hear a lot," Cruz said. "Yes, there are a lot of signs for my opponent, Beto O’Rourke. They invested a ton of money and they put that money, part of it, into having signs everywhere."

The sign disparity is not necessarily indicative of an enthusiasm gap, but of differences in campaign spending priorities. But more broadly, Cruz campaign manager Jeff Roe has an aversion to yard signs — he said he views them as a far-less-effective use of campaign money than door knocking, television and radio advertising, phone banking or direct mail. That's not a new strategy in Cruz world. Roe said the Cruz 2016 presidential campaign spent no money on yard signs.

More:  https://www.texastribune.org/2018/08/29/beto-orourke-ted-cruz-yard-signs/

5 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Saw another Beto sign in my little Midland neighborhood last night. I'm not naive enough to think Midland is anywhere close to going blue, but that's two more democratic signs than I've ever seen before and still no Cruz signs. I think it speaks to the energy felt by Beto supporters and the apathy felt by Cruz supporters combined with the fact that many Republicans probably don't want to admit that they support Cruz so they'll just quietly vote for him.

I think this stuff is important.  A lot of voting is declaring your membership to a tribe.  If you see people like you voting Beto, you know it is okay for you to vote Beto.  

I think it bears repeating in threads like this that the bottom line is that Ted's message, if you look for it, is "fuck you we're a red state" and O'Rourke's is "yeah I'm progressive/blue but I'll do my best to listen to everyone".  Given that O'Rourke objectively seems to be an easier going, more likeable guy, I think that resonates with voters who aren't MAGA.  Given the numbers of people campaigning for Beto, he's set up for that.

Those of us who are shrill on these boards have to recognize that a more "openminded" message, regardless of whether you believe it is sincere or not, is not a bad strategy for a statewide office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

What will be interesting is the election battle at the State level starting in 2020. What the GOP is really worried about is gerrymandering. They need to be in charge of the next map.

By then aren't we going to be able to vote open ballot and not just along party lines? 

51 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Just need a few more GOPpers insinuating how stupid they are because they only vote straight ticket due to the names on the ballot.

I believe straight ticket voting in Texas ends after this election cycle.  I suppose the state GOP could decide this may be a mistake and not remove it in 2020.

48 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Is there really a state Dem party?  I'm sure there is a group of people that say they are but do they offer much in terms of support and leadership?   And I don't mean supporting the candidates that are will win their race by 30 points solely based on the letter D next to their name.  

I imagine that after this election, some from Beto's campaign will basically say they are the state party leadership and remains to be seen if the current party will accept it.