The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

That’s a lot of big words to say that a fuck ton of people are selfish, fearful, assholes and it’s easier to be a selfish, fearful, asshole when you can do it in a big group of other selfish, fearful, assholes. 

That's really it.  It's not a coalition based on ideology or any real shared beliefs.  It's a coalition based on name-calling various feared people and entities.

It's so very middle school that it's astounding.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Magyar views populism as the opposite of liberalism, not only because it seeks to topple constitutional structures but because it rejects the ideals of solidarity

This is a nonsensical statement. The idea that a large movement of any kind can reject solidarity is ridiculous. The populists are in solidarity with those who agree with them. The liberals he describes most certainly reject the ideals solidarity with respect to bringing the populists into their coalition. 

Populism can (and does) arise from the left or the right, and is dangerous because it comes with a by any means necessary approach and a refusal to consider the validity of contrary views and a rejection of compromise. We would all do well to remember this. 

The "We're Being Discriminated Against" crowd of whites doesn't surprise me anymore.  It did back in the "reverse racism via quotas" shit that reared its head in the 1990's (and full disclosure-I thought completely race-based admissions processes are flawed, there are plenty of qualified people of color for everything from UT Engineering to NFL Coaches...it was merely a question of procedural changes to give them a seat at the table and then a voice once seated).  

But yeah, today I actively discriminate against plenty of White people.  Not because of their race but because they're stupid.  I fucking cannot stand stupid people anymore.  And I think stupidity is pretty evenly spread across all races and ethnicities.  But white stupid people in the United States tend to be more vocal about theirs because it became socially acceptable for them to rear their ugly heads about 5 years ago.  Empowered Stupidity. Pass it On. 

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This is a nonsensical statement. The idea that a large movement of any kind can reject solidarity is ridiculous. The populists are in solidarity with those who agree with them. The liberals he describes most certainly reject the ideals solidarity with respect to bringing the populists into their coalition. 

Populism can (and does) arise from the left or the right, and is dangerous because it comes with a by any means necessary approach and a refusal to consider the validity of contrary views and a rejection of compromise. We would all do well to remember this. 

Liberalism /= 'left' necessarily in what Magyar is discussing, unless I misinterpreted what Masha Gessen was attributing to him.

Magyar views populism as the opposite of liberalism, not only because it seeks to topple constitutional structures but because it rejects the ideals of solidarity that Magyar sees as the foundation of liberalism. The idea that liberalism is rooted in solidarity may sound strange to Americans, who often think of liberalism as a set of individual freedoms. But populists on both sides of the Atlantic traffic in this exact opposition: as Magyar puts it, their “populism offers problem solving without moral constraints—while dogmatic liberals offer moral constraints without problem solving.” A banner that hung over the CPAC stage this past week said “America Uncanceled,” a reference to the bogeyman of “cancel culture” and, more broadly, political correctness—precisely the moral constraints, rooted in solidarity, that Magyar is describing.

A lot of that has to do with the full essay and that Magyar is creating a new definition of populism, which is described in the spoiler above and he was specifically referencing Trump and the GOP. So I interpreted his meaning as it is an ideology coalescing around grievances and critical of government itself, including specifics (i.e. Democrats or Republicans) or policies (immigration policy). So, if I understood his point, it was that regardless of which specific 'side' (if you want to frame it that way), it is the way populism is historically becoming successful in the modern world.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Liberalism /= 'left' necessarily in what Magyar is discussing, unless I misinterpreted what Masha Gessen was attributing to him.

A lot of that has to do with the full essay and that Magyar is creating a new definition of populism, which is described in the spoiler above and he was specifically referencing Trump and the GOP. So I interpreted his meaning as it is an ideology coalescing around grievances and critical of government itself, including specifics (i.e. Democrats or Republicans) or policies (immigration policy). So, if I understood his point, it was that regardless of which specific 'side' (if you want to frame it that way), it is the way populism is historically becoming successful in the modern world.

Typically when framing it that way one will refer to “classical liberalism” as the term liberal has come to connote the left. Maybe he did in another part of the article. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is not connoting liberalism with the left and populism with the right he is not describing a new phenomenon. This is how populism has always gone

47 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's been a pretty banner week for our hillbilly friends on the Daily Texan board. They've spent the week defending both a mass murderer and an oppressive and stupid Royal system of governance and power, the very one that our own United States went to war against in order to leave, because on the other side there's an uppity black chick.

These same people will tell you that partisan politics are ruining this country.

it's kinda nuts to me that somehow the politics board is more civilized and fosters more open idea debate (not a lot, but more). I don't even got to DT anymore. It was the opposite on the old site(s)

• Hook 'Em 4

NY GOP Rep caught up in groping scandal with lobbyist. https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/21/politics/tom-reed-sexual-misconduct-allegation/index.html

• admits wrongdoing but says the woman’s story isn’t accurate. If she isn’t telling the full story, feel free to tell your side.
  • blames his past alcoholism but says that alcohol isn't an excuse. Then why bring it up publicly?
  • will take full responsibility for his actions including by at the end of this term even though he has long stated he is retiring at the end of this term. So full responsibility with zero repercussions? 

I’m not arguing he should resign and face public shunning for life but shaking my head at his attempt at contrition. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Used to have impure thoughts about Cain + Real & Spectacular Hatcher so it’s disappointing to see Deano go down MAGAt Road.

If I saw that video cover at Hastings in 1995, I'd briefly consider trying get my parents to let me rent it with the hope of glimpsing some boobs. 

Former President Donald Trump didn't include his former vice president in his list of "very good" Republican leaders and potential 2024 presidential candidates during a new interview with conservative commentator Lisa Boothe.

Instead, Trump named Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem.

"Ron DeSantis is doing a really good job in Florida," he said. "I think Josh Hawley has shown some real courage in going after big tech ... Somebody that's been really terrific is Ted Cruz."

He added, "Rand Paul has been great ... Sarah Huckabee is going to do great in Arkansas. I think that Kristi Noem has done a terrific job ... The Republican Party is stacked."

Trump said he'll make his decision on whether or not to run for reelection "later."

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

ExM2YSgUYAIuwvN?format=jpg&name=large

I know you MAQA's look at that and see your dream starting 6 NHL squad (Sanders obviously in the net, behind a very oversized mask hopefully).  But while you think that's the Trump draft dream team for who'll help carry his torch while he grifts the empowered stupid among you...let me offer you this alternative. 

You're not looking at this list of future stars in the party.  That's what they're calling it, that's how you're reading it.  It's not.  Without saying it, he just tacitly commissioned an all our Hunger Games between these six and the people of their states.  You're about to watch 3 Senators and 3 Governors (soon to be 3 anyway) play Russian Roulette with their states for the next 3+ years to curry favor with Trump and his sadistic base.  Not just short-term Covid-19 measures being repealed, but real batshit long-term stuff with regard to regulations.  You're gonna have Noem building a southern wall in South Dakota, Rand Paul saying surgical gloves and masks even during surgery are unnecessary, Sanders demanding all school kids in Arkansas eat a 3-piece fried chicken plate at lunch for protein, DeSantis requiring all Floridians to participate in a crystal meth clinical trial, Cruz....well, just Ted being Ted. 

This group of 6 is about to compete in the most fucked up version of the Apprentice you can ever imagine.  Except instead of helping Trump run another one of his companies or brands into the fucking ground...they're gonna take down entire U.S. states with them and cause thousands of more deaths.  Tune in! 

I know you MAQA's look at that and see your dream starting 6 NHL squad (Sanders obviously in the net, behind a very oversized mask hopefully).  But while you think that's the Trump draft dream team for who'll help carry his torch while he grifts the empowered stupid among you...let me offer you this alternative. 
You're not looking at this list of future stars in the party.  That's what they're calling it, that's how you're reading it.  It's not.  Without saying it, he just tacitly commissioned an all our Hunger Games between these six and the people of their states.  You're about to watch 3 Senators and 3 Governors (soon to be 3 anyway) play Russian Roulette with their states for the next 3+ years to curry favor with Trump and his sadistic base.  Not just short-term Covid-19 measures being repealed, but real batshit long-term stuff with regard to regulations.  You're gonna have Noem building a southern wall in South Dakota, Rand Paul saying surgical gloves and masks even during surgery are unnecessary, Sanders demanding all school kids in Arkansas eat a 3-piece fried chicken plate at lunch for protein, DeSantis requiring all Floridians to participate in a crystal meth clinical trial, Cruz....well, just Ted being Ted. 
This group of 6 is about to compete in the most fucked up version of the Apprentice you can ever imagine.  Except instead of helping Trump run another one of his companies or brands into the fucking ground...they're gonna take down entire U.S. states with them and cause thousands of more deaths.  Tune in! 

Blah blah blah....I’m going to school in Arkansas. Mmmm....fried chicken.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:24 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NY GOP Rep caught up in groping scandal with lobbyist. https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/21/politics/tom-reed-sexual-misconduct-allegation/index.html

• admits wrongdoing but says the woman’s story isn’t accurate. If she isn’t telling the full story, feel free to tell your side.
  • blames his past alcoholism but says that alcohol isn't an excuse. Then why bring it up publicly?
  • will take full responsibility for his actions including by at the end of this term even though he has long stated he is retiring at the end of this term. So full responsibility with zero repercussions? 

I’m not arguing he should resign and face public shunning for life but shaking my head at his attempt at contrition. 

Surly poster caught linking to a groping scandal story without posting pics.

I'm not arguing you should self-ban for a week or two but I am shaking my head at your breach of Surly etiquette.

40764598-9386213-image-a-3_1616379365271

Nutbar Trumpist Ag commissioner Sid Miller is suing.....nutbar Trumpist Dan Patrick and the Texas senate over their rule requiring a negative COVID test as “illegally limiting access to government.”

And see Patrick’s recent assaults on Abbott.

And Paxton’s complete idiocy.

The fanatics are reaching the “circular firing squad” phase of their brilliant turn at governance. Fascinating to watch...but know that their panic-shooting is going to cause a lot of collateral damage. Because if there’s one thing the GQP is good at in any stage of its reign, it’s hurting people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So I happened to turn on the local news to find out about the weather.  This is something I don't normally do.

Fucking Cruz and some statehouse toad are expressing all kinds of faux outrage and concenr about immigrant children and housing conditions at the border and in Dallas at the convention center.  Cruz inviting the media to come with him on his big visit.

Fucking outrageous.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Has anyone noticed that (with a couple of exceptions) the FitLump Daily Texan thread is now completely devoid of our MAGA/Qanon friends? 

She's an incompetent grifter who lives on catch phrases and lowest common denominator talking points. They know she's one of them now.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/23/2021 at 8:16 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the top 3 will be in jail the bottom three are either getting their asses kicked by their neighbor or whoring themselves out on only fans. you pick.

Jesus, please be Rand instead of Huckabeef. 

• Haha 1

I dunno, I'd pay up to $3.50/mo to get her to try to fist herself. Not to fap to, but just to see the anguish in her face as she tries. "Yeah bitch, that's what you did to America. Now sit and spin."
Gross.

Secondly several fat ass Huckabeef spawn have passed through there. A fist should he easy peasy.
  • Hook 'Em 1