The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

14 hours ago, Player said:

Reminds me of another old saying we have in Texas:

Toby Keith is a dirty fucking sooner who eats dicks by the barrel when he’s not combing his mullet or noodling for catfish.

Heh (Thujone's twitter reminded me of this)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Kris Kristofferson - American Renaissance Man and Bad Ass.

They told this story in Ken Burn's Country Music documentary series and it is awesome:

Early in his Nashville, Tenn., days, before the hits started coming for one of America’s most accomplished songwriters, he received a stern epistle from his mother.

She admonished her son, no less than a Rhodes scholar, for scrapping a promising military career to write songs. Somewhere in the letter was a reference (not the least bit flattering) to Johnny Cash.

“My mother was telling me I had been excommunicated,” Kristofferson recalled recently from his home in Hawaii.

He had gone to Nashville in 1965 after resigning his commission in the Army, where he flew helicopters. He worked as a janitor at Columbia Records and was known by few beyond a circle of songwriters that included Cowboy Jack Clement, who howled that day in his office when Kristofferson read the letter to him. Clement made sure the letter found its way into Cash’s hands.

“I was in the old studio at Columbia one day,” Kristofferson said, “and there was Johnny Cash. And he said, ‘Always nice to get a letter from home, isn’t it, Kris?’ ”

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

My woodshop teacher from high school is on FB saying that the call recording proves Trump was right. 
Despite his gullibility, he was a good teacher and os a very good human being. 

If you've still got all your fingers, the shop teacher did his job.

• Hook 'Em 1

Idiot World.

18% of healthworkers don't plan to be vaccinated. 

From the Washington Post:

Vaccination rates are particularly low among health-care workers who are Black, those in lower-paying jobs such as home health aides and those with less education. Partisan politics also play a role, with more Democrats saying they have been vaccinated and Republicans more likely to express uncertainty or concerns about the vaccines.

According to a Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll, barely half of front-line health-care workers (52 percent) said they had received at least their first vaccine dose at the time they were surveyed. More than 1 in 3 said they were not confident vaccines were sufficiently tested for safety and effectiveness.

The nationally representative survey of 1,327 front-line health-care workers, conducted Feb. 11 through March 7, illustrates the challenges ahead as vaccine advocates try to persuade a wider population — with less familiarity with medicine — to get vaccinated.

While about 2 in 10 health-care workers said they had scheduled a shot or were planning to, 3 in 10 health-care workers said they were unsure about getting vaccinated or not planning to do so. As many as 1 in 6 health workers said that if employers required them to get vaccinated, they would leave their job.

In the case of black people, this is tragic distrust due to the past and economic issues (accompanying lack of education and ignorance of the poor) for some, I suppose.

In the case of GOPs...death cult. And they don't care who they take with them.

I have a cousin on the seriously WT side of my family that's a nurse (LVN) in SETX, and she ain't gettin no vaccine! She's also pushing three bills, survives on diet coke and processed food, and lives in a trailer in Bridge City. Good life choices and decision making are elusive on that side of the family. Sadly, she's the high water mark. 

25 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have a cousin on the seriously WT side of my family that's a nurse (LVN) in SETX, and she ain't gettin no vaccine! She's also pushing three bills, survives on diet coke and processed food, and lives in a trailer in Bridge City. Good life choices and decision making are elusive on that side of the family. Sadly, she's the high water mark. 

Pics of hot cousin not showing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

In a private phone call, the PUC chairman who was appointed by Greg Abbott two weeks ago privately reassured out-of-state utility investors who profited from the arctic freeze blackouts last month that he would work to keep their profits safe:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/wall-street-profited-off-texas-blackouts/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Web Social&utm_content=WallStreetTexasBlackouts

• Rage+1 2

For shits 'n giggles, I see that the online rack rate for the Trump International for three nights is closer to $2,000 with taxes and fees.  

So Trump is gonna eat $600 to own the libs.  Sounds perfectly on brand for him. 

One thing I'll give his idiot followers credit for is I was expecting a lot more "After the stolen election, at least Trump can go back to making billions as the best businessman in America!"  They'll still claim he was the best President ever until their last dying breath, but I think even the dumb ones realized his billionaire mirage was a lot of bullshit, branding, and tax evasion. 

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

For shits 'n giggles, I see that the online rack rate for the Trump International for three nights is closer to $2,000 with taxes and fees.  

One thing I'll give his idiot followers credit for is I was expecting a lot more "After the stolen election, at least Trump can go back to making billions as the best businessman in America!"  They'll still claim he was the best President ever until their last dying breath, but I think even the dumb ones realized his billionaire mirage was a lot of bullshit, branding, and tax evasion. 

I can never remember which properties he owns and which ones are just 'branded' with his name and how much that makes a difference in his cut (as in your case with the rates).

Yes, obviously charging $1400 for a $2000 stay isn't a direct $600 cut to his personal pocket book.  It was over-simplification for effect.  

Of what he and his ilk will do, or not do, to be perceived by their minions as "owning the libs."  I can honestly see him, probably through Don Jr. or Ivanka, ordering his supporters "Bring your stimulus check in and we'll give you the third night free (or free parking or free breakfast, etc.).  Of course his long game, as it has been, sure such a promotion would probably cost the hotel money, but it'll come back to Trump 10-fold.  "He owned the libs by sacrificing his hotel profits this Spring...least we can do is send his PAC $200."  Maybe Trump International's margins are good, but they aren't as good as his PAC's which is, to this point about 99%.  

Yes, obviously charging $1400 for a $2000 stay isn't a direct $600 cut to his personal pocket book.  It was over-simplification for effect.  
Of what he and his ilk will do, or not do, to be perceived by their minions as "owning the libs."  I can honestly see him, probably through Don Jr. or Ivanka, ordering his supporters "Bring your stimulus check in and we'll give you the third night free (or free parking or free breakfast, etc.).  Of course his long game, as it has been, sure such a promotion would probably cost the hotel money, but it'll come back to Trump 10-fold.  "He owned the libs by sacrificing his hotel profits this Spring...least we can do is send his PAC $200."  Maybe Trump International's margins are good, but they aren't as good as his PAC's which is, to this point about 99%.  

If you think he’s filling his hotels at full rack rate, especially after he is no longer in office, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, Royalfan5 said:

Kristofferson is also on record as saying this story is complete bullshit too. 

Here's a citation saying it did happen. I'd like to see Kris' denial.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9vdGlzZ2liYnMuY29tL2NhdGVnb3J5L3BvZGNhc3QvZmVlZC8/episode/aHR0cDovL290aXNnaWJicy5jb20vP3A9MTEzOA?ep=14

Peter Cooper with Otis Gibbs

Has the GOP come full circle? They sure do like the idea of an autocratic leader and birthright, one to rule them all. Laying the groundwork, normalizing the idea. We do need Europe to be strong, a strong Europe benefits the world, but it's also odd that they are taking this tactic, because it almost...almost is not unlike George Soros' idea of strong democratic countries working together globally.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Here's a citation saying it did happen. I'd like to see Kris' denial.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9vdGlzZ2liYnMuY29tL2NhdGVnb3J5L3BvZGNhc3QvZmVlZC8/episode/aHR0cDovL290aXNnaWJicy5jb20vP3A9MTEzOA?ep=14

Peter Cooper with Otis Gibbs

I found a number of stories second hand quoting Kris saying he didn’t remember it happening and then going on to talking to Toby and his wife, so it probably did happen and he just realized that he’s rather not talk about Toby Keith anymore 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope these mouthbreathers stay the fuck out of NYC. We have enough home grown stupid in Staten Island and Long Island. We don’t need anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 3

She's pointing out something that many on Surly have already noted. The GOP framing has been obvious from the get-go. America First and the implication based on their actions is just 'who' is considered American. Some are considered more American than others.

An excerpt, but the essay itself is not all that long:

Spoiler

The Republican Party—whose representatives in Congress voted against certifying the results of the Presidential election hours after a violent Trumpist mob invaded the Capitol—isn’t going to save itself from Trumpism, and it certainly isn’t going to save America from it. What can the Democratic Party do? In Magyar’s view, it has to aggressively pursue policies with definitive answers that address the existential fears that fuel Trumpism. This brings us to Magyar’s new definition of populism, which he identifies in his most recent book as “an ideological instrument for the political program of morally unconstrained collective egoism.”

The key word in this definition is “egoism.” In fact, Magyar suggested reading the definition backward to better understand it: “The egoistic voter who wants to disregard other people and help solely himself can express this in a collective more easily than alone.” The collective form helps frame the selfishness in loftier terms, deploying “homeland,” “America first,” or ideas about keeping people safe from alien criminals. In the end, Magyar writes, such populism “delegitimizes moral constraints and legitimizes moral nihilism.” This is the sum of the political program: “The populist gains unquestionable moral status as he exploits the people’s psychological demand for group-belonging and selfishness, who in turn find an ‘understanding’ actor and collective amidst the difficulties of their lives.”

Magyar views populism as the opposite of liberalism, not only because it seeks to topple constitutional structures but because it rejects the ideals of solidarity that Magyar sees as the foundation of liberalism. The idea that liberalism is rooted in solidarity may sound strange to Americans, who often think of liberalism as a set of individual freedoms. But populists on both sides of the Atlantic traffic in this exact opposition: as Magyar puts it, their “populism offers problem solving without moral constraints—while dogmatic liberals offer moral constraints without problem solving.” A banner that hung over the CPAC stage this past week said “America Uncanceled,” a reference to the bogeyman of “cancel culture” and, more broadly, political correctness—precisely the moral constraints, rooted in solidarity, that Magyar is describing.

Of course, Orbán, Trump, and other populists do not deliver actual solutions: Magyar is describing their political offer, not their practice. The challenge for the party in power is to create solutions, proving in practice that solidarity can be more rewarding than selfishness. The Hungarian government in power during Orbán’s period in the opposition faced all the familiar pitfalls: it responded to a budgetary shortfall by requiring tuition payments at public universities and co-payments for medical services. These wildly unpopular and painful austerity measures only solidified support for Fidesz. The secret to saving the American system of government, according to Magyar, is not much of a secret. Will the Biden Administration and the Democratic Congress raise the minimum wage; provide all Americans with accessible and reliable health care; introduce a wealth tax; cancel student debt; and invest in infrastructure, particularly in rural areas? These are existential questions for both American society and the American political system.

It does not, however, address the constant beating refrain of the propaganda channels.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

She's pointing out something that many on Surly have already noted. The GOP framing has been obvious from the get-go. America First and the implication based on their actions is just 'who' is considered American. Some are considered more American than others.

An excerpt, but the essay itself is not all that long:

Hide contents

The Republican Party—whose representatives in Congress voted against certifying the results of the Presidential election hours after a violent Trumpist mob invaded the Capitol—isn’t going to save itself from Trumpism, and it certainly isn’t going to save America from it. What can the Democratic Party do? In Magyar’s view, it has to aggressively pursue policies with definitive answers that address the existential fears that fuel Trumpism. This brings us to Magyar’s new definition of populism, which he identifies in his most recent book as “an ideological instrument for the political program of morally unconstrained collective egoism.”

The key word in this definition is “egoism.” In fact, Magyar suggested reading the definition backward to better understand it: “The egoistic voter who wants to disregard other people and help solely himself can express this in a collective more easily than alone.” The collective form helps frame the selfishness in loftier terms, deploying “homeland,” “America first,” or ideas about keeping people safe from alien criminals. In the end, Magyar writes, such populism “delegitimizes moral constraints and legitimizes moral nihilism.” This is the sum of the political program: “The populist gains unquestionable moral status as he exploits the people’s psychological demand for group-belonging and selfishness, who in turn find an ‘understanding’ actor and collective amidst the difficulties of their lives.”

Magyar views populism as the opposite of liberalism, not only because it seeks to topple constitutional structures but because it rejects the ideals of solidarity that Magyar sees as the foundation of liberalism. The idea that liberalism is rooted in solidarity may sound strange to Americans, who often think of liberalism as a set of individual freedoms. But populists on both sides of the Atlantic traffic in this exact opposition: as Magyar puts it, their “populism offers problem solving without moral constraints—while dogmatic liberals offer moral constraints without problem solving.” A banner that hung over the CPAC stage this past week said “America Uncanceled,” a reference to the bogeyman of “cancel culture” and, more broadly, political correctness—precisely the moral constraints, rooted in solidarity, that Magyar is describing.

Of course, Orbán, Trump, and other populists do not deliver actual solutions: Magyar is describing their political offer, not their practice. The challenge for the party in power is to create solutions, proving in practice that solidarity can be more rewarding than selfishness. The Hungarian government in power during Orbán’s period in the opposition faced all the familiar pitfalls: it responded to a budgetary shortfall by requiring tuition payments at public universities and co-payments for medical services. These wildly unpopular and painful austerity measures only solidified support for Fidesz. The secret to saving the American system of government, according to Magyar, is not much of a secret. Will the Biden Administration and the Democratic Congress raise the minimum wage; provide all Americans with accessible and reliable health care; introduce a wealth tax; cancel student debt; and invest in infrastructure, particularly in rural areas? These are existential questions for both American society and the American political system.

It does not, however, address the constant beating refrain of the propaganda channels.

That’s a lot of big words to say that a fuck ton of people are selfish, fearful, assholes and it’s easier to be a selfish, fearful, asshole when you can do it in a big group of other selfish, fearful, assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1