The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Man, Cheez Whiz on crackers?    Those guys know how to party!

You. Motherfucker.

That is not Cheez Whiz.  It is Easy Cheese, the finest spray-can propelled cheese-food product known to man:

FST17.png

It is too good for those treasonous bums.  They should be folding up slices of Wal-Mart Great Value American cheese and putting THAT shit on crackers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Masquerading as Kid Rock fans in order to fool the Trumps themselves. That's something I just read. I hate this timeline. 

FIF just how fucking stupid that fucking family is.  They are moronic trash, good at one thing: conning rubes.  Our problem?  This country is full of rubes.

Mo Brooks was up to zany college pranks?

https://www.al.com/politics/2022/12/mo-brooks-reportedly-described-as-ringleader-of-effort-to-overturn-election-in-mark-meadows-texts.html

U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, was described by a Trump campaign advisor as the “ringleader of the Jan. 6 deal” to overturn the 2020 election in Congress in a text to Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, according to a report published Monday.

Meadows’ texts, in the custody of the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, were obtained from several sources by Talking Points Memo, the outlet stated.

Brooks was among 34 members of Congress who texted with Meadows as part of strategizing on overturning the election, according to TPM, with Brooks involved in attempting to block the certification of electoral votes on Jan. 6.

The Huntsville congressman was referred to as the “ringleader of the Jan. 6 deal” by Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller, who used that description in a text to Meadows:

“FYI…So I asked Ali Pardo from our press shop to get in touch with Rep. Mo Brooks’ office since he seems to be the ringleader on the Jan 6th deal,” Miller wrote to Meadows, according to TPM. “They say they will have as many as 50 members on board 1/6…but we won’t have a list of names until Sunday or Monday.”

“This may not surprise you, but no one from the legal team has made contact with them at all. They request examples of fraud, numbers, names, whatever supporting evidence can be provided. We’ve now supplied that, but our legal squad isn’t exactly buttoned up. I bring this up for a simple reason – if we’re hoping to move real numbers on the 6th, I think we need to quickly start mobilizing our real-deal allies. I’m ready to go, I have bodies to help, will follow your lead.”

Brooks told TPM that he was among several leaders in overturning the election in Congress, and that his objection stemmed from a 2005 bipartisan report identifying several risks for “potential fraud” in elections.

“There are a number of different people who took leadership roles,” Brooks said of the election challenge, adding, “I was certainly the leader with respect to the arguments that centered on arguments related to the 2005 report and on non-citizen voting.”

But the report co-authored by former President Jimmy Carter and ex-Secretary of State James Baker found “there is no evidence of extensive fraud in U.S. election,” according to TPM.

Brooks disputed that characterization of the report, saying it showed “massive voter fraud.”

On Dec. 21, 2020, Brooks texted Meadows concerning plans for a “White House meeting regarding formulation of our January 6 strategies,” TPM reported.

Meadows texted Fox News host Brian Kilmeade later that day indicating that strategy session had occurred.

U.S. Rep. Barry Moore, R-Wiregrass, also texted Meadows in the runup to Jan. 6, according to TPM, although the outlet did not cite examples of the communication. Moore did not return a request for comment from the website.

Brooks, who unsuccessfully ran for U.S. Senate instead of seeking re-election to his House seat, has since had a falling out with Trump and does not support his 2024 campaign.

“It would be a bad mistake for the Republicans to have Donald Trump as their nominee in 2024,” Brooks said in an interview with AL.com last month. “Donald Trump has proven himself to be dishonest, disloyal, incompetent, crude and a lot of other things that alienate so many independents and Republicans. Even a candidate who campaigns from his basement can beat him.”

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Rage+1 2

On 12/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, Brisketexan said:

I'm jealous.  Being messican, God can only speak to me through images on tortillas.  It's really hard to get the full gist of things from brown spots.  Especially when I have already eaten half the message.

One day, when I first moved to the town where I live now, I was getting my oil changed, and moping about how I missed Mexico. There's a creek next to the shop, and I wandered over to look at it because somebody on this earth has got to be not staring at a phone.

Snake on a rock next to the creek. A hawk swoops down right while I'm 10 feet away, snatches the snake and goes over to a pecan tree to perch and eat it. The hawk struck that pose, the one on every peso coin.

This was to be my Tenochtitlán.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Mo Brooks was up to zany college pranks?

https://www.al.com/politics/2022/12/mo-brooks-reportedly-described-as-ringleader-of-effort-to-overturn-election-in-mark-meadows-texts.html

U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, was described by a Trump campaign advisor as the “ringleader of the Jan. 6 deal” to overturn the 2020 election in Congress in a text to Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, according to a report published Monday.

Meadows’ texts, in the custody of the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, were obtained from several sources by Talking Points Memo, the outlet stated.

Brooks was among 34 members of Congress who texted with Meadows as part of strategizing on overturning the election, according to TPM, with Brooks involved in attempting to block the certification of electoral votes on Jan. 6.

The Huntsville congressman was referred to as the “ringleader of the Jan. 6 deal” by Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller, who used that description in a text to Meadows:

“FYI…So I asked Ali Pardo from our press shop to get in touch with Rep. Mo Brooks’ office since he seems to be the ringleader on the Jan 6th deal,” Miller wrote to Meadows, according to TPM. “They say they will have as many as 50 members on board 1/6…but we won’t have a list of names until Sunday or Monday.”

“This may not surprise you, but no one from the legal team has made contact with them at all. They request examples of fraud, numbers, names, whatever supporting evidence can be provided. We’ve now supplied that, but our legal squad isn’t exactly buttoned up. I bring this up for a simple reason – if we’re hoping to move real numbers on the 6th, I think we need to quickly start mobilizing our real-deal allies. I’m ready to go, I have bodies to help, will follow your lead.”

Brooks told TPM that he was among several leaders in overturning the election in Congress, and that his objection stemmed from a 2005 bipartisan report identifying several risks for “potential fraud” in elections.

“There are a number of different people who took leadership roles,” Brooks said of the election challenge, adding, “I was certainly the leader with respect to the arguments that centered on arguments related to the 2005 report and on non-citizen voting.”

But the report co-authored by former President Jimmy Carter and ex-Secretary of State James Baker found “there is no evidence of extensive fraud in U.S. election,” according to TPM.

Brooks disputed that characterization of the report, saying it showed “massive voter fraud.”

On Dec. 21, 2020, Brooks texted Meadows concerning plans for a “White House meeting regarding formulation of our January 6 strategies,” TPM reported.

Meadows texted Fox News host Brian Kilmeade later that day indicating that strategy session had occurred.

U.S. Rep. Barry Moore, R-Wiregrass, also texted Meadows in the runup to Jan. 6, according to TPM, although the outlet did not cite examples of the communication. Moore did not return a request for comment from the website.

Brooks, who unsuccessfully ran for U.S. Senate instead of seeking re-election to his House seat, has since had a falling out with Trump and does not support his 2024 campaign.

“It would be a bad mistake for the Republicans to have Donald Trump as their nominee in 2024,” Brooks said in an interview with AL.com last month. “Donald Trump has proven himself to be dishonest, disloyal, incompetent, crude and a lot of other things that alienate so many independents and Republicans. Even a candidate who campaigns from his basement can beat him.”

So explain to me again why this man walks free among us?  And Jason miller for that matter?

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

BBC has a 3-part series out, and released the first episode for free.   Basically gets into how people get sucked into supporting crazy people.  Not a commentary or comparison to Hitler, just interesting to see how people get sucked into movements (probably should go in the Qanon thread).

I’ll have to watch it. My own thoughts (TL;DR below) are focused on two factors: we overestimate the amount of cognitive firepower out there in society and we’ve allowed for a collapse in authority to interpret things for most of us, especially the cognitively disadvantaged. 

Take an average high school class discussing something somewhat involved— the causes of the civil war, for example, over a few days of class. A perfect little model of America in terms of intelligence, control for external factors, etc. Pre-internet. 

There will be a decent size group— for sure less than half— that will be incapable of really following the discussion and recreating the teacher’s explanation in a meaningful way. Their attempts will miss connections and threads or leave out important context. 

The biggest group will be able to accurately repeat and understand the teacher’s explanation. They’ll be able to recall it and put in in their own words and it will make sense.  

A much smaller group— if you turned them loose in a good college library— has the firepower to read through more advanced sources, combine them together, and come up with a more nuanced or complete version of events and explain why they prefer this or that historian’s theory to the high school textbook. They might even be able to recognize that the Sons of Confederate Veterans’ pamphlets in the stacks might need to be mostly disregarded as unreliable and biased.  The group below them will comprehend the more advanced stuff as language— but if pressed, they won’t be able to really say WHY one theory might be better or more complete. 

And finally, a small group. Really small, like 1-2 people, with some guidance, might be able to see patterns and connections and come up with their own, better and more complete theory by linking several author’s arguments together. The group below them might understand it but couldn’t do it themselves. 

Now, what social media encourages people to do is believe they are in one of the top two groups. But they aren’t, and they aren’t capable of processing information that way. 

Which leads to the second problem, which is a collapse of authority and gatekeeping. The technocrats view this as a good thing but for most of us it’s a catastrophe. 

There used to be a lot of “teachers” and “textboooks” designed to funnel mostly good information to us and help to discard the junk. Now, of course— teachers can be wrong, teachers can present simplified stuff, textbooks aren’t always nuanced, sometimes really smart people can do better. But that doesn’t mean the teacher and textbook explanation of the Civil War was bad! In fact, it was pretty good (assuming this isn’t a Lost Cause textbook). The smart money is that the teacher version is better than any average person could create on their own. 

And even people who do have the ability to do better can’t become smarter than the teacher in everything.  Maybe I can do this for history but I don’t have time or energy to get smarter than my physics teacher. So having news anchors and textbooks and responsible politicians and legacy media moderating current events and economic theory and what not was not a bad thing at all. 

Now, to amp up the problem, make a few of the bright kids in class real wolves who know how to lie and how to make the bottom two groups believe you’re one of them. And you have today’s GQP. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 11:35 AM, Brisketexan said:

I'm jealous.  Being messican, God can only speak to me through images on tortillas.  It's really hard to get the full gist of things from brown spots.  Especially when I have already eaten half the message.

Probably also doesn't help that the message can get folded in half and dipped in salsa.  I mean what happened to Jesus?  I just had him laid out next to the oven.  Brisket seated at the kitchen table looks down at the remaining quarter of a quesadilla and sees maybe the tip of a beard, which he quickly covers in quacamole.  

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

I’ll have to watch it. My own thoughts (TL;DR below) are focused on two factors: we overestimate the amount of cognitive firepower out there in society and we’ve allowed for a collapse in authority to interpret things for most of us, especially the cognitively disadvantaged. 

Take an average high school class discussing something somewhat involved— the causes of the civil war, for example, over a few days of class. A perfect little model of America in terms of intelligence, control for external factors, etc. Pre-internet. 

There will be a decent size group— for sure less than half— that will be incapable of really following the discussion and recreating the teacher’s explanation in a meaningful way. Their attempts will miss connections and threads or leave out important context. 

The biggest group will be able to accurately repeat and understand the teacher’s explanation. They’ll be able to recall it and put in in their own words and it will make sense.  

A much smaller group— if you turned them loose in a good college library— has the firepower to read through more advanced sources, combine them together, and come up with a more nuanced or complete version of events and explain why they prefer this or that historian’s theory to the high school textbook. They might even be able to recognize that the Sons of Confederate Veterans’ pamphlets in the stacks might need to be mostly disregarded as unreliable and biased.  The group below them will comprehend the more advanced stuff as language— but if pressed, they won’t be able to really say WHY one theory might be better or more complete. 

And finally, a small group. Really small, like 1-2 people, with some guidance, might be able to see patterns and connections and come up with their own, better and more complete theory by linking several author’s arguments together. The group below them might understand it but couldn’t do it themselves. 

Now, what social media encourages people to do is believe they are in one of the top two groups. But they aren’t, and they aren’t capable of processing information that way. 

Which leads to the second problem, which is a collapse of authority and gatekeeping. The technocrats view this as a good thing but for most of us it’s a catastrophe. 

There used to be a lot of “teachers” and “textboooks” designed to funnel mostly good information to us and help to discard the junk. Now, of course— teachers can be wrong, teachers can present simplified stuff, textbooks aren’t always nuanced, sometimes really smart people can do better. But that doesn’t mean the teacher and textbook explanation of the Civil War was bad! In fact, it was pretty good (assuming this isn’t a Lost Cause textbook). The smart money is that the teacher version is better than any average person could create on their own. 

And even people who do have the ability to do better can’t become smarter than the teacher in everything.  Maybe I can do this for history but I don’t have time or energy to get smarter than my physics teacher. So having news anchors and textbooks and responsible politicians and legacy media moderating current events and economic theory and what not was not a bad thing at all. 

Now, to amp up the problem, make a few of the bright kids in class real wolves who know how to lie and how to make the bottom two groups believe you’re one of them. And you have today’s GQP. 
Back in the day, people who are not well educated at least knew they were not well educated  or informed, and afforded some deference to those who were. Now, Fox, and talk radio and GOP politicians have continually told those same people that THEY are the smart ones, and to ignore all those pointy headed educated liberal college and science-y people. 
And here we are: a nation where people use spray bottles of vinegar  to counteract the deadly contrails, and who talk about the ‘Russian hoax’ and pedophiles keeping children in a pizza place with a basement like the one in the Alamo. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Probably also doesn't help that the message can get folded in half and dipped in salsa.  I mean what happened to Jesus?  I just had him laid out next to the oven.  Brisket seated at the kitchen table looks down at the remaining quarter of a quesadilla and sees maybe the tip of a beard, which he quickly covers in quacamole.  

Isn't that how the Tortilla of Tijuana was made?

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, and they get a lot of "far right" star power plus his show is highly rated.  

About 7 years ago, a friend invited me to lunch near campus to hear from this promising young grassroots leader named Charlie Kirk.  Table of 10 or so of us and Charlie has this plan to overcome the way so many young people on college campuses vote.  Most of the schools he toured, the Student Government organizes where/when on-campus elections will be held for POTUS, Governor, etc.  I don't know if that's still true, seems like the counties still get a big say.  But I guess the SGA picks the building and sets the hours based on other campus activities or something?  I don't remember because I was just staring at his tiny face on his giant head the whole time.  His idea was to reach out to more Greek-life type of students (read: white and rich) to run for SGA and set election policy that would make it harder for more traditionally left-leaning young people, students of color, et. al. to turn out to vote.  While also getting this frequently non-politically motivated white base to get out and vote in higher numbers themselves for GOP.  

It was a demented plan but I'll give him credit, it was original and thought out and could swing a state her or there if you can keep a few hundred thousand 18-25 year olds from voting and add a couple hundred thousand on the other side of the ballot.  I forgot all about him until a few years ago when he started popping up before the 2020 election.  And now he's going to be a major force in the Republican Party/MAGA nation for the next 50 years. 

What Trump saw as a grift opportunity in the stupid, the disenfranchised, the victims, the snowflakes, the angry, the racist, the nationalist.  Charlie saw similar attributes in a place the GOP never really reaches out to, college campuses.  And he found some of the same strains of vitriol and envy there, just wrapped up in a different wardrobe with a diploma in one hand and a red hat in the other.  It's sad to see, if Charlie had used his vision and skillset for just general political engagement among young people who need to get involved earlier on in politics, that would have been great.  But he saw the same opportunity to tap into these people for he and Trump's gain.  /rant

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Charlie has this plan to overcome the way so many young people on college campuses vote.  Most of the schools he toured, the Student Government organizes where/when on-campus elections will be held for POTUS, Governor, etc.  I don't know if that's still true, seems like the counties still get a big say.  But I guess the SGA picks the building and sets the hours based on other campus activities or something?

Yeah, that's not remotely true:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texas-state-students-asking-county-commissioners-for-additional-polling-place

nmnm

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

As I said, he was doing a national tour of colleges.  Turning Point has had chapters/a presence on hundreds of college campuses in dozens of states for the better part of a full decade.  I'm guessing in some states, SGA's can have a significant say in on-campus voting.  In Texas, it appears not to be the case as your link illustrates.  

Mind you, he was here in Austin back then to talk to donors of his mission.  And this was 2014 or 2016 (IIRC) before this latest wave of voting hinderances were on anybody's mind but for the most sinister of minds.  Whatever he did, it obviously worked in some states/counties to some degree.  Because his acolytes number in the hundreds of thousands and he's only getting more powerful.  That he started so granular is what makes him more dangerous than somebody in elected office.  Which awaits him one day soon.  

Edited by YGIFS

We are certainly becoming less educated and more dumb.  But don't conflate educated, dumb, and Stupid.  

I bet this site probably has more posters with multiple degrees than posters with no degrees.  Shit, they even gave me some.  But you'd also be hard pressed to find a site of so many educated people (from great schools BTW) who say and do as much dumb shit as we do.  

But IQ doesn't measure, and why it's misleading...you can have all the IQ points you want...and you can get highly educated and you can avoid saying/doing dumb shit.  But IQ can't account for somebody's overt willingness to ignore information, avoid insight and inquiry, and suppress how facts enter their brain.  That's called Stupid.  That's what Trump tapped into.  Some of the smartest people I know are still for Trump.  Not because they have low IQ's, but because following his roadmap and not caring anymore about information, that's not intelligence-dependent, it's dependent on easily you stop caring.  EQ, I suppose would be better metric.  But he also needed money, so Trump tapped into the uninformed, the uneducated, and the dumb...and got them to be really fucking stupid.  They not only fell for his ruse that he'd deliver them the life they always dreamed, he got them to pay him to tell them that.  

Remember, the mark of a great Confidence Man isn't that he gains your trust.  He fixes it so that you vie for his trust.  The way to do that is to get you to embrace your inner stupid.  To go against everything you know in your heart is wrong and to turn your back on the light.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just because a smart person can do stupid things doesn't mean that there isn't a large faction out there who aren't capable of discerning fact from fiction in any meaningful sense.  Yes, they have been energized by media and political manipulation that constantly says THEY are the smart ones, not those ivory tower libtards, which is our concern.  They still have a vote.

Edited by jimmyjazz

13 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

How does TPUSA seemingly have one of these circuses every single week?

It's crazy. There are so many events. How does the political conference economy even work? Are sponsors/interest groups/think tanks etc. paying for the attendees to come or do people actually go out of pocket for this?

"[W]e are obliged to inform you that if any omnibus passes in the remaining days of this Congress, we will oppose and whip opposition to any legislative priority of those senators who vote for this bill—including the Republican leader," the letter said.

"We will oppose any rule, any consent request, suspension voice vote, or roll call vote of any such Senate bill, and will otherwise do everything in our power to thwart even the smallest legislative and policy efforts of those senators," they wrote.

The letter concludes: "Kill this terrible bill or there is no point in pretending we are a united party, and we must prepare for a new political reality."

Not much on irony, are they?

why she gotta be Asian?  I'd say more turning points than the sexual self-discovery of Kirsten Sinema. 

also, big cities are big.  But if trump or CPAC or Charlie Kirk ever appears in person within 3 miles of your neighborhood, you live in a shitty neighborhood.  I mean, I'm sure there's plenty of new model, full size trucks in the driveways, the school district got an "A" from TEA, and you all got to choose from as many as 7 different oversized floorplans to fit your lifestyle.  But Run from that Place, RUN!  say what you want about these people.......their demographic information is fucking accurate.  They know precisely where to host these events, down to the block.