Phatterson

Hanrahan

On 2/14/2023 at 4:24 AM, JFKFC said:

They were on the rosters of other teams. We chose not to pursue and sign  them out of the portal.

If we win the Big 12 this year, Sark's methodology will be fully vindicated. I think Sark is proven right if we just make the Big 12 title game. 

If we don't make the Big 12 title game.....

We’re not sniffing the big 12 title game this year

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I think GP was given too much credit for the performance of the defense IMHO. People still calling for PK to get fired is laughable.

Lol you’re gonna learn when PK is fully in charge again. I expect a huge regression on D across the board. Especially when we go 3 and out 50% of the time…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm sure it's been said in this thread before, maybe even by me, but if I'm Gary at this stage of his life I'd stay in Austin, keep my current job, not have to worry with the stress of a higher profile job, play music, eat barbecue, and enjoy life.  He's 63 years old, has a cush, well-paying gig.   What's he got left to prove?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm sure it's been said in this thread before, maybe even by me, but if I'm Gary at this stage of his life I'd stay in Austin, keep my current job, not have to worry with the stress of a higher profile job, play music, eat barbecue, and enjoy life.  He's 63 years old, has a cush, well-paying gig.   What's he got left to prove?

Consulting pays extremely extremely well and you can live wherever you want, do skypes, and if they pay for it fly you out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That doesn’t sell 9.95 subscriptions to Inside Texas 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This comment is laughable 

Which part? The part that people still want PK fired or that I think GP was given too much credit? Did GP coach the LB's who made the biggest leap? Did he call formations and plays? I think he played a huge part in game planning for particular opponents and matching the Defensive backfield with the front 7 but without the progress of the linebackers and defensive line this defense was shit again.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This comment is laughable 

So blame PK for the defense sucking two years ago. Then when the defense carries the team all season last year we give Patterson the credit and call for firing PK just because. 

Okie dokie

The offense sucked last year, if anything we need to fire the OC. Oh wait it's the head coarch. 

TCU is going to be one of the most represented teams at this years combine. It’s strange that a team with so much potential NFL draftees was so inconsistent in 2022. I don’t think they played a clean game the whole season outside of Iowa State. Even that Michigan win should have been a blow out & they ended up almost losing. It will be interesting to see how Dykes fares when Pattersons freaks leave the program. He’d build whole rosters out of various TX/LA HS track teams.

Edited by CastHorn

On 2/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this @Hookem2147

Inside Texas:  Transitioning to the defensive side of the ball, we do not expect Gary Patterson to remain in his formal role. He’s likely already left that position. We do believe he’s open to consulting with Texas, but he’d also like to consult with other programs. Sources have been appreciative of Patterson’s influence on the program but have also been careful not to give him too much credit. The feeling is they’d be fine either way but it was a good experience having him around.

Gary Patterson stepping away from special assistant role at Texas after "learning as much as I contributed"

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN          5 hrs ago

AUSTIN, Texas — Gary Patterson says he learned as much as he contributed as a special assistant to Steve Sarkisian at Texas but will step away from that role while he tries to “help college football on a bigger scale.”

“I’m so appreciative of Steve Sarkisian, the players and fans for my time at Texas this past year,” Patterson told Horns247 on Thursday. “I loved my time in Austin. I jumped into that role right after leaving TCU, and I put off a lot of stuff foundation-wise, because I wanted to be a sponge. I wanted to see how the coaches on staff there (at Texas), who have been at places like Alabama and Washington, recruit; how they handle practice; and how they handle things like NIL (name, image and likeness).

“I learned so much and have so much respect for guys like Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate and Bo Davis, and really, really enjoyed the players. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get to August and I’ll want to come back — if Sark would have me. But right now, I feel like I need to take some time for my wife, kids and grandkids while also looking to see if I can help college football on a larger scale.”

Patterson decided to take the special assistant role at Texas almost immediately after the 2021 season, when he was let go after 21 years as the head coach at TCU, where he won six conference championships in three different leagues, including the 2014 Big 12 title and had an undefeated season (13-0) in 2010 capped by a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin.

“I didn’t take any real time for family after leaving TCU and going to Austin,” Patterson said. “I need to take my wife, Kelsey, on a nice vacation and spend some time with my kids and grandkids.”

Kwiatkowski said at the Alamo Bowl Patterson was a huge help to the Texas defense this past season, helping the Longhorns with everything from a quarters-match install in the secondary; leveraging UT’s linebackers differently in pass coverage; and providing detailed game plans/scouting reports on opposing offenses.

“Gary is obviously an awesome defensive coach, and so his ideas were welcomed,” Kwiatkowski said. “I embraced it and used it to help us get better.”

Patterson said he really vibed with Kwiatkowski “as a coach who built his reputation on doing more with less.

"I think PK and I have that in common,” Patterson said.

Patterson said when he took the special assistant role at Texas, he found himself doing a lot of the same things he did when he was the head coach at TCU. He’d study film of an upcoming opponent all week and submit his ideas for the game plan to the Texas defensive coaching staff on Sunday — “In time for them to decide if they wanted to use it or not,” Patterson said, adding, "Sark didn’t ask me to do all that. I just wanted to try to help the way I knew how.”

Patterson said he got to spend some quality time away from the job with Sarkisian on a recent Nike coaches trip.

“I really like Steve (Sarkisian),” Patterson said. “I like the way he deals with people. He taught some things about setting aside time to talk to players’ parents and to talk to recruits.”

Patterson said former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, who successfully battled a form of cancer known as Hodgkin’s lymphoma, recently told Patterson to compare his remaining life to a roll of 100 pennies.

“I turned 63 two weeks ago,” Patterson said. “And R.C. said, ‘If we’re lucky, we get 80 good years.’ So he broke open a roll of 100 pennies and then took away the pennies until there were 17 left. Then he looked at me and said, ‘We gotta make sure we’re spending our pennies wisely.’ So, the way I look at it, I just spent my 18th penny in Austin, and hopefully I have 17 left.”

But Patterson is also a football coaching junkie who has formed relationships with many Longhorns’ players on defense and is excited to see what the 2023 Texas defense can do.

“The players are the reason I’ll be coming back to see how things are going during spring practice,” Patterson said. “I think they have a chance to be successful. And, like I said, if I do some consulting on college football, spend some time with family and find myself getting bored in August, I may see if Sark might have me back — if he hasn’t filled the role already.”

• Hook 'Em 3

Is there any evidence at all that Kwiatkowski was ignoring Gary's input in the relatively few games in which the D went back to their 2021 performance and looked clueless, but following his lead when they looked much improved? It was such an uneven year, it's easy to believe that. It's hard to figure what the hell is going on when there is basically little or no access to the coaches other than Sark. It seems to work out well for Saban, but Sark hasn't got much of a record to support handling access his (and Nick's) way. 

44 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Is there any evidence at all that Kwiatkowski was ignoring Gary's input in the relatively few games in which the D went back to their 2021 performance and looked clueless, but following his lead when they looked much improved? It was such an uneven year, it's easy to believe that. It's hard to figure what the hell is going on when there is basically little or no access to the coaches other than Sark. It seems to work out well for Saban, but Sark hasn't got much of a record to support handling access his (and Nick's) way. 

I don’t care who is coaching defense they need to stop refusing to run man coverage if the players can’t grasp zone and actually cover the middle of the field.  That was the most annoying thing about the defense at times.  

31 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I don’t care who is coaching defense they need to stop refusing to run man coverage if the players can’t grasp zone and actually cover the middle of the field.  That was the most annoying thing about the defense at times.  

Gotta admit I still haven't quite figgered out why you would have DBs lined up 8-10 yards off of receivers on 3rd and 4. That's one  of the things that lead one to suspect PK ignoring what Patterson calls, particularly in those situations. I don't see how shit like that is allowwed by the HC to happen over and over. Maybe he's just too busy being in-game OC and play-caller to deal with DC fuckery. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Gotta admit I still haven't quite figgered out why you would have DBs lined up 8-10 yards off of receivers on 3rd and 4. That's one  of the things that lead one to suspect PK ignoring what Patterson calls, particularly in those situations. I don't see how shit like that is allowwed by the HC to happen over and over. Maybe he's just too busy being in-game OC and play-caller to deal with DC fuckery. 

39 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

You would think even an offensive minded coach would notice the defense giving up 41% third down conversion rate and a staggering 52% fourth down rate because your offense is spending a massive amount of time on the bench 

They know. 

It appears the deep coverage is an attempt to keep everything in front, reduce the likelihood of an explosive play, and make the offense execute a drive. Even if that means giving up easy first downs on 3rd and short. This is also why more offenses will likely start going for it on 4th and short. 

What isn't supposed to happen is a bust on 3rd and 12. Fix that.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I am with you here, and this seemed to primarily happen in the games where GP wasn't heavily involved (think he was in on Bama, OU, TCU not sure what else).  My hope is that with better DBs, we will be more aggressive.  Giving easy first downs is like death by a thousand cuts. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Texas football, Steve Sarkisian leaving door open for Gary Patterson return

By. Jack Winter    Jul 28, 2023 

Gary Patterson might be back with Texas football this season after all. Just five months after leaving his position as a special assistant with the Longhorns, the former TCU head coach has received an invitation to return to Steve Sarkisian's staff, according to FUCK CHIP BROWN of Horns247.

Patterson assumed his role with Texas following the 2021 season, weeks after his iconic 21-year tenure with the Horned Frogs came to a close. He resigned as TCU's head coach on October 31st, 2021, amid a 3-5 start and after being told he wouldn't be retained for the following season.

Patterson occupied a key role on Sarkisian's staff last season, helping Texas' defense with everything from scouting reports to specific installations in the secondary. He left his post with the Longhorns in early March, opting to spend more time with his family after so quickly jumping from TCU to Texas in fall 2021.

“I didn’t take any real time for family after leaving TCU and going to Austin,” Patterson said at the time. “I need to take my wife, Kelsey, on a nice vacation and spend some time with my kids and grandkids.”

The Longhorns finished second in total defense and second in scoring defense among Big 12 teams last season, massive strides on that side of the ball that helped them improve to 8-5 after a disappointing 5-7 campaign in 2021. Whether Patterson returns to Austin or not, his fingerprints are poised to be all over Texas football once again this fall.

Funny pic from article...

Screenshot_20230729-035328_kindlephoto-16413765.png.341be481b08adb52648be1236faf87aa.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1