Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Is my sarcasm meter off? Is this a serious post?

Are you telling me a player like Rondale Moore wouldn’t play? LJH is money catching the ball and fighting for more yards but he’s not an elite slot receiver. An elite slot is a threat to take it to the house with every touch.

I guess you think we’re redshirting Smith and Whittington? We don’t know for sure what they will do in college but I’m not going to pretend they aren’t possibly better than LJH. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 7

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Some of you need to wake up and realize I only said “reduce”. Meaning his numbers may not look as good next season.

The staff would be finding a way to have CJ/LJH/Smith or Whittington on the field at once (if they live up to the hype), not displacing their best receiver. Duvernay would suffer.

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Some of you need to wake up and realize I only said “reduce”. Meaning his numbers may not look as good next season.

I think LJH gets more touches because it takes pressure off Sam to run. I predict there will somewhat of an initiative by the staff to protect Sam more and have him take less hits, which includes his designed runs. LJH can wildcat as good as anyone, and Herman may be the first coach ever to realize the wildcat is more effective if the ball carrier occasionally passes. 

LJH creates value just by walking between the numbers. At that point, he's committed to being in the play. Sounds obvious, but it gives the opposing DC fits. Now, he has to choose the group he wants to use to defend, and he has to stick with it.

Is LJH coming on as a RB? WR? When he lines up adjacent to Collin does the safety help? Which one? If he's with Devin and a TE, who takes the speedster and how will you play the power? Both, one, or neither could block.

He isn't overly fast, but he's fast enough that the DBs trying to tackle him after the catch just bounce off. Before the catch, he's like a power forward posting on a guard. Even when there's a defender near him, he's still open.

Grabbing the 60 yard bomb is nice, but what really runs an offense is the guy you look to on 3rd and 7. After an incomplete pass and a rushing attempt, that 1st down looks lovely. Another season in the training room, and another year playing with a fully developed offense and a QB that knows how to use his toys will have the NFL talent scouts making plans.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm pretty sure that's why VY left a year early, too.

Everyone in practice could see Colt was going to light it up with his accuracy, so I think Vince knew he'd be riding the pine if he stuck around.

Right? 

Yes, because LJH is close to that level of play. You fully understand now.

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Point of clarification -- I think he meant to say LJH might be worried about our incoming sluts reducing his playing time.  He may have a fair point there.

Does he still have that same girlfriend? Cause I don't think there is much room upwards from that. 

• Like 1

Duvernay suffers the most from LJH coming back. He really impressed me this year, but will be stuck as 3rd option again....but sharing touches with Burt and the 2 freshman.  Josh Moore will be back too and he looked promising. 

Leaving early is not about how good a college WR he is. It is about reasons for staying versus $ and likely 2019 and 2020 perceived NFL WR quality as measured in draft position. He may not look like a first-day NFL draftee, but any CFB coach that wouldn’t like LJ in his squad is a galactic regard.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Are you telling me a player like Rondale Moore wouldn’t play? LJH is money catching the ball and fighting for more yards but he’s not an elite slot receiver. An elite slot is a threat to take it to the house with every touch.

LJ IS a threat to house it on every touch.  He just does it by breaking tackles and running over DBs rather than juke and dash.  He also puts a lot more wear and tear on a secondary in the process.  Combine it with his ability to read defenses and find soft spots in zone coverage and you have an elite slot WR despite his unconventional size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The staff would be finding a way to have CJ/LJH/Smith or Whittington on the field at once (if they live up to the hype), not displacing their best receiver. Duvernay would suffer.

We don't have a must play TE coming back so I can see more use of 4 wide unless Brewer kills it in practice.

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

LJH creates value just by walking between the numbers. At that point, he's committed to being in the play. Sounds obvious, but it gives the opposing DC fits. Now, he has to choose the group he wants to use to defend, and he has to stick with it.

Is LJH coming on as a RB? WR? When he lines up adjacent to Collin does the safety help? Which one? If he's with Devin and a TE, who takes the speedster and how will you play the power? Both, one, or neither could block.

He isn't overly fast, but he's fast enough that the DBs trying to tackle him after the catch just bounce off. Before the catch, he's like a power forward posting on a guard. Even when there's a defender near him, he's still open.

Grabbing the 60 yard bomb is nice, but what really runs an offense is the guy you look to on 3rd and 7. After an incomplete pass and a rushing attempt, that 1st down looks lovely. Another season in the training room, and another year playing with a fully developed offense and a QB that knows how to use his toys will have the NFL talent scouts making plans.

QFT. LJH is a dependable 3rd and long receiver, and with our offense - hell, with any offense - that's incredibly important.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

A comment and a question, unrelated:

* a very close friend is a Georgia grad and the guy he couldn't stop talking about after the game was LJH.  Apparently he's "SEC tough" but, you know, better.

* does it seem to anyone else that Burt has been here forever?

Wasn’t Burt catching passes from David Ash?

• Like 1

I swear I saw a tweet last night through Mutha Hustler from LJH that he was staying.  Must have been in my dreams, because I can't find it this morning.

He reminds me of Roy Williams with the hands of Limas Sweed.  Roy was known to drop the easy ones and catch the tough ones.  Like Limas, LJH catches them all, but unlike Limas, he runs over people after the catch.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:30 PM, sushihorn said:

Looked like the whole damn team was down there pushing the pile.  Duvernay was standing off to the side saying 'looks like you guys got this.'

How long until they start calling illegal blocks in the back on these scrum type plays?   I never really thought about it until i watched Duvernay back off.  I think the training to not clip kicked in for him.  Btw you never hear the term clipping anymore.  Is now blocking in the back, or is it a separate penalty?  I always associated it with taking out a guy at the legs from the back. 

19 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

We don't have a must play TE coming back so I can see more use of 4 wide unless Brewer kills it in practice.

this makes sense, but we didn't have a must play TE last year and still played the TE almost all the time.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

How long until they start calling illegal blocks in the back on these scrum type plays?   I never really thought about it until i watched Duvernay back off.  I think the training to not clip kicked in for him.  Btw you never hear the term clipping anymore.  Is now blocking in the back, or is it a separate penalty?  I always associated it with taking out a guy at the legs from the back.

Block in the back is 10 yards.  I think clipping still exists as a 15 yd penalty.  You see it a lot less because any block below the waist in the open field is now illegal.  Players are trained not to block there and are less likely to clip accidentally now.