Avengers: Infinity War

BYG Jacob

On 5/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, BlueGreySky said:

it's probably because of lingering ripple effect of the comics.  in the comics he does everything because he is obsessed/in love with death.  he does this all to impress her and win her over, iirc.

Deadpool-Thanos-Death-3.jpg

Undefeated.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, BlueGreySky said:

it's probably because of lingering ripple effect of the comics.  in the comics he does everything because he is obsessed/in love with death.  he does this all to impress her and win her over, iirc.

Deadpool-Thanos-Death-3.jpg

It's possible that a back story might include something to tie this into the upcoming film next year, as he stated he had "ignored his fate" (or some such) before, that could be it...

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

It's possible that a back story might include something to tie this into the upcoming film next year, as he stated he had "ignored his fate" (or some such) before, that could be it...

I thought that was already explained in this film. It was about him wanting to kill off half Titan’s population, getting written off as crazy, and the catastrophic results. That’s the whole thing that’s driving him wanting to purge half the universe’s population.

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I thought that was already explained in this film. It was about him wanting to kill off half Titan’s population, getting written off as crazy, and the catastrophic results. That’s the whole thing that’s driving him wanting to purge half the universe’s population.

That's what was said in the movie, my thought is maybe the writers tie in somehow Thanos may have wanted to show his plan for a better universe, just to impress Death (in next film)...

thanos_earth-616_and_death_earth-616_fro

The thing I noticed (or interpreted, anyway) is that Thanos doesn't seem to be evil just for the sake of being evil like a lot of villains. He truly believes what he is doing is for the good of the universe.

My first thought on part 2 is that he misses Gamora too much and uses the time stone to go back to before she is traded for the soul stone. But, I guess Dr. Strange has it figured out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

The thing I noticed (or interpreted, anyway) is that Thanos doesn't seem to be evil just for the sake of being evil like a lot of villains. He truly believes what he is doing is for the good of the universe.

My first thought on part 2 is that he misses Gamora too much and uses the time stone to go back to before she is traded for the soul stone. But, I guess Dr. Strange has it figured out.

As much as they beat us over the head with Strange saying he was unwilling to give up the stone for Tony/etc. and then easily giving it up, and then his comment about this being the endgame, a lot of people really missed the importance of Strange’s actions and comments.   

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw it.  This movie just pisses me off even more about Star Wars.  The dumbfucks at Disney have a front row seat to how the Marvel universe has been developed for over a decade all culminating in two movies that will make a gazillion dollars.  And they still decided to let 3 people fuck it all up by winging it.

Edited by kevwun

• 4 weeks later...

Finally saw it. Loved it. Possibly my favorite Marvel movie and I was getting pretty tired of the series. 

Thor, GotG, Iron Man and Cap killed it. Some natural comedic talent between Hemsworth, Pratt, Cooper, Bautista and Stark. 

And Thanos was awesome. A bad guy who actually has real motives and is thus somewhat believable. 

• 4 weeks later...

X-Men: Dark Phoenix and New Mutants Both Confirmed for 2019 by ...

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-dark-phoen...med-2019-imax/
12 hours ago - IMAX has confirmed both X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants will be screened next year, ending rumors the Fox films were canceled.

Since this ties into the Marvel universe, with the purchase of Fox by Disney:

On 6/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, kevwun said:

Finally saw it.  This movie just pisses me off even more about Star Wars.  The dumbfucks at Disney have a front row seat to how the Marvel universe has been developed for over a decade all culminating in two movies that will make a gazillion dollars.  And they still decided to let 3 people fuck it all up by winging it.

You high?

On 6/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, kevwun said:

what didnt you like?

Marvel May Have Spoiled a Big Change to an X-Men Character

comicbook.com/marvel/.../x-men-psylocke-caucasian-hunt-for-wolverine-mystery-in-...
18 hours ago - The Hunt for Wolverine is on in four miniseries spinning out of the one-shot issue that announced Logan’s return to the Marvel Universe. However, it turns out the Mystery in Madripoor miniseries may bring a major change for another X-Men character. ... Possible SPOILERS for Hunt for ...

Marvel Makes a Big Change to a Classic X-Men Character

comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/30/x-men-havok-inverted-marvel/
... time of things lately. He experienced a timeline where he married the Wasp and had a daughter only tohave to erase the timeline to [...] ... Marvel Makes a Big Change to a Classic X-Men Character. By Jamie Lovett - May 30, 2018. Share.

I think the Dark Phoenix film might tie into Infinity War, with the alternate timeline element...

^ He's talking about how The Last Jedi sucked balls.

Infinity War was one of the most satisfying movie experiences of my life. Right up there with Return of the King as far as a movie series goes, but obviously there was a lot more build up for this one. IW was the best Marvel movie to date, can't wait to rewatch it later this week. 

How Killmonger would knock off Thanos:

'Black Panther' Star Michael B. Jordan Says Killmonger Would Have a ...

comicbook.com/.../avengers-infinity-war-erik-killmonger-beats-thanos-michael-b-jor...
13 hours ago - But maybe if the events of Black Panther went down differently, another ... B. Jordan Says Killmonger Would Have a Plan to Take Down Thanos.

^ He's talking about how The Last Jedi sucked balls.

Infinity War was one of the most satisfying movie experiences of my life. Right up there with Return of the King as far as a movie series goes, but obviously there was a lot more build up for this one. IW was the best Marvel movie to date, can't wait to rewatch it later this week. 

Crazy talk.

my only issue with infinity war (if you can call it an issue) is that as a whole, it was definitely part of a bigger story.  much like the middle lord of the rings or back to the future - it got me ready for the next one, but didn't love it as much as a standalone.

i would say infinity wars is my favorite sequel of any marvel movie, maybe any comic book movie.  except superman 2.  duh.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Agree. I don't think I have ever seen a movie 2x in the theater.. My kids have been dying to see it but I wasn't sure if they were old enough (5 and 9).. Let them watch a couple of the older Marvel movies to test the waters.. So figured F -it and took them so they could see it on the big screen. They absolutely loved it and now they are excited as I am for Part 4. Well maybe not that excited.  Proud Poppa

IM is still my favorite as well, but IW was great and is right up there, for me.  

My kids (8 and 10) loved it right up until the dusting.  I spent quite a bit of time explaining to them that there's another one and it will take care of at least some of that.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, atomheartbevo said:

As much as they beat us over the head with Strange saying he was unwilling to give up the stone for Tony/etc. and then easily giving it up, and then his comment about this being the endgame, a lot of people really missed the importance of Strange’s actions and comments.   

Finally saw it.  I agree it was so hit you over head obvious people aren’t discussing it, but I assume you mean things are playing out the one way out of 14m or so where Thanos loses, per the scene where Strange Looks at the differ by futures.  So he gives up the time stone because that’s the only way they win.  

Movie was good. Hollywood spoils it because we know half the dusted folks are showing up in future movies.  

On 5/31/2018 at 10:12 PM, Michael Knight said:

Thanos did nothing wrong

With the stones he had the power to fix the issue that he claimed in a million different ways.   He chose to kill half the universe.  So yeah.............

On 8/1/2018 at 12:07 PM, d2o said:

With the stones he had the power to fix the issue that he claimed in a million different ways.   He chose to kill half the universe.  So yeah.............

Directors and writers addressed this in the audio commentary:

Specifically, viewers have made the case that Thanos could instead have doubled the resources available in the universe, which would’ve had the same effect on the person-to-resource ratio without anyone having to die. Nonetheless, on the audio commentary track for the Infinity War home video release, co-director Anthony Russo acknowledges this supposed plot hole, but suggests that the intergalactic tyrant had no desire to be so nice.

“People have asked us why Thanos didn’t just use the stones to double the resources in the universe, and clearly he is not interested,” Russo states.

Writer Stephen McFeely goes on to note that Thanos would likely regard this less genocidal approach as a merely temporary solution.

“No, it’s about free will,” McFeely added. “That doesn’t solve the problem. We’re just going to get there millions of years from now. This is an opportunity for people to get it right. He trusts them, you know?”

Later, co-director Joe Russo claims that the character’s plan was the product of a stubborn and deranged mind, arguing that Thanos’ actions were not as coldly rational as some fans would have you believe.

“Well, he was told ‘no’ to an idea that he had that he felt was the only solution, and then was proved right to himself when that solution was not acted upon,” Joe Russo said. “So his messianic complex — he is now committed to following through on the idea he had many many years ago. He is not a stable — although he appears stable at times, he is not a stable individual.”

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Directors and writers addressed this in the audio commentary:

You could make the same argument for killing half the universe.   In millions of yrs the population will have grown back to a point of exhausting resources again.     He wasn't noble.   He chose to murder half of the universe.

32 minutes ago, d2o said:

You could make the same argument for killing half the universe.   In millions of yrs the population will have grown back to a point of exhausting resources again.     He wasn't noble.   He chose to murder half of the universe.

Yeah. The whole thing was dumb tbh.  Had they kept the Lady Death reasoning why he did that, it makes more sense. People took apart his rationale pretty quickly.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah. The whole thing was dumb tbh.  Had they kept the Lady Death reasoning why he did that, it makes more sense. People took apart his rationale pretty quickly.

Eh, it makes perfect sense if you think Thanos is insane. Which, if your plan involves mass murder, is pretty much axiomatic.

Or what mdmost just said.

Edited by formermav43

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

He's evil and a madman. Not noble. That's the point. That's what the directors are saying. 

I get that.   That is my point as well.   Just a few people here said he didn't do anything wrong.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

We will have to see how Captain Marvel plays out (remember, it’s set a few decades before IW, but involves elements that tie into Thanos), but I’m guessing Lady Death comes Into play for Thanos.

In the comics, the speakers for Lady Death explicitly call out the need to kill half the universe, as She sees that Life is out of balance with Death.  It's also a recurring theme that gets justified again during the Annihilation War & when the rift releases the Cancerverse into ours.

All but the OG's (and Rocket)...... Going out in a blaze of glory....

This was my thought the moment all the new characters were disappearing and the OGs were left. It was either the universes were split so the OG could say their goodbyes next movie or they were gonna have to force Thanos to “reverse the curse”

9 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

This was my thought the moment all the new characters were disappearing and the OGs were left. It was either the universes were split so the OG could say their goodbyes next movie or they were gonna have to force Thanos to “reverse the curse”

I think I read the other day it’s going to be heavy Captain America. Def a blaze of glory for some of the OGs (except Thor because $$$$$$$$)