Perpetual Middle East Geopolitical Quagmire Megathread

Hugo Stiglitz

9 minutes ago, maninblack said:

This is beyond fucked up as have most things carried out by the CBP under Trump.

With that said, if a certain Iranian Surly poster who has been a cheerleader for ICE gets rounded up, well that would be fucking hilarious.

It would be like Tom Parsons from 1984 who was a diehard party loyalist remaining faithful to Big Brother as he is hauled off to a forced labor camp.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I wonder how Icono feels about this. 

41 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is beyond fucked up as have most things carried out by the CBP under Trump.

With that said, if a certain Iranian Surly poster who has been a cheerleader for ICE gets rounded up, well that would be fucking hilarious.

It would be like Tom Parsons from 1984 who was a diehard party loyalist remaining faithful to Big Brother as he is hauled off to a forced labor camp.

31 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Uh oh, Icono could be in trouble

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 4

From June

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-on-possible-war-with-iran-i-dont-need-exit-strategies

When President Trump was asked if he has an “exit strategy” in mind in case of a war with Iran, he replied that he doesn’t “need” them. “You’re not going to need an exit strategy,” the president told reporters in the Oval Office on Tuesday. “I don’t need exit strategies.” Trump also told reporters that he was “ready to do whatever” regarding potential negotiations with Iran, and suggested that the country would let the U.S. know when “they’re ready.” “Whatever they want to do, I’m ready,” Trump said, according to a pool report.

So.....

1.  Iraq voted to throw us out of the country.  

2.  The main reason we were there in the first place was to fight ISIS.

3.  The GOP insisted that ISIS and their 20K people in Toyota pickups were an existential threat to our country.

4.  Trump then cuts off the Kurds, which were our main allies against ISIS.

5.  Now, we're not in Iraq fighting ISIS anymore

It's like Trump didn't think this through.  Who would have thought?

• Like 2

Pentagon officials usually include a far-out option when they present possibilities to the president in order to make the others seem less extreme. The other options presented to Trump in Mar-a-Lago, his Palm Beach resort, included strikes against Iranian ships or missile facilities or militias backed by Iran that are operating in Iraq. “The Pentagon also tacked on the choice of targeting General Suleimani, mainly to make other options seem reasonable,” reports the Times.

At first, it seemed everything was going according to plan. Trump rejected the option to kill Soleimani to respond to a wave of recent Iranian-sponsored violence in Iraq . Instead, he authorized airstrikes against an Iranian-supported militia group, Kataib Hezbollah. The strikes ended up hitting three locations in Iraq and two in Syria.

Then things changed when protesters gathered outside the U.S. embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday. Iranians saw the U.S. response as disproportionate but Trump became increasingly angry at the images he saw on television as protesters stormed the embassy. Suddenly, Trump was worried that failing to respond to the protests would look weak

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/pentagon-officials-reportedly-stunned-trump-kill-soleimani.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 6th Street said:

"Questions, the obvious ones like: Is Iran really the greatest threat we face? And who's actually benefiting from this? And why are we continuing to ignore the decline of our own country in favor of jumping into another quagmire from which there is no obvious exit?

'By the way, if we're still in Afghanistan 19 years, sad years later, what makes us think there's a quick way out of Iran ... ?"

- Tucker Carlson lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7851279/Tucker-Carlson-asks-Iran-really-greatest-threat-face-Trumps-drone-strike.html

20a9z5.jpg

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Pentagon officials usually include a far-out option when they present possibilities to the president in order to make the others seem less extreme. The other options presented to Trump in Mar-a-Lago, his Palm Beach resort, included strikes against Iranian ships or missile facilities or militias backed by Iran that are operating in Iraq. “The Pentagon also tacked on the choice of targeting General Suleimani, mainly to make other options seem reasonable,” reports the Times.

At first, it seemed everything was going according to plan. Trump rejected the option to kill Soleimani to respond to a wave of recent Iranian-sponsored violence in Iraq . Instead, he authorized airstrikes against an Iranian-supported militia group, Kataib Hezbollah. The strikes ended up hitting three locations in Iraq and two in Syria.

Then things changed when protesters gathered outside the U.S. embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday. Iranians saw the U.S. response as disproportionate but Trump became increasingly angry at the images he saw on television as protesters stormed the embassy. Suddenly, Trump was worried that failing to respond to the protests would look weak

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/pentagon-officials-reportedly-stunned-trump-kill-soleimani.html

Nothing to see here.

I actually asked @Iconoclast Texan how he would feel when Trumpkins started rounding up Americans of Iranian descent because they’re brown and he said “I’ll happily live in an internment camp if it means a more secure country.” So I’m really hopeful that ends up happening and he’s water boarded until he confesses how the ass takes the length.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

“The Pentagon also tacked on the choice of targeting General Suleimani, mainly to make other options seem reasonable,” reports the Times.

Have these motherfuckers not been paying attention?  We have a mentally ill megalomaniac in the Oval office and they're giving him doomsday options?

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

tbs jokerswild GIF by Snoop Dogg Presents The Joker’s Wild

That being said, I think I’m gonna need proof rather than taking their word for it.

Whatever the truth, I hope we get a full accounting, because it was done in our name. But I'm not going to put much stock into the word of a guy who used a sharpie to "correct" a hurricane landfall map when he was embarrassed.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wait a minute--so we killed him while he was on a diplomatic mission?

Yep.  Trump was leaning towards a measured response, but happened to be channel surfing and landed on a midnight Lethal Weapon showing.

-MSrGV.gif

• Like 1