The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

So f'ing good. I have wanted more Mon Calamari since Admiral Raddus made an appearance in Rogue One. I absolutely loved Admiral Ackbar in Jedi when I was a kid. Yet another reason why I love this show. They feature these offworlds that I always wondered about when I was a kid. And now we have a creative team that was just as enamoured with these small offshoots of Star Wars as some of us. You also got a closer look at the Quarren (squid people). They seem to be a shitty species full of treachery. And hell yeah to Starbuck on this show. 

I really like that most of what we've seen from the trailer has already been shown on the first set of episodes. We still have a bunch of untouched story to go.  I get the feeling with Boba Fett, The Marshall, Bo Katan, Ahsoka, and the return of Cara Dune and Greef Karga, we're going to get a nice team up against Moff Gideon. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Does this take place before or after the last scene in rebels?

Edit: episode was badass

You know, I’ve always assumed it was after. But that scene at the ending of rebels was pretty ambiguous. They could certainly write in that something here that this prompted Ashoka to go pick up Sabine. 

Correct rebels ends before rogue one and a new hope (minus the epilogue where Sabine tells what everyone is doing). Ezra was roughly the same age as Luke, slightly older I believe.

The Mandalorian takes place 4-5 years following RoTJ, in that power vacuum with the Empire crumbling and the the new Republic trying to figure shit out.

So in Rebels, you have a story closed with the dark saber and Mandalore but that would change eventually since we know the Emperor came down hard on Mandalore with the help of Gar Saxon and clan Saxon. Here we see the outcome, Moff Gideon has the dark saber after being stationed on Mandalore and the night owls have been scattered to the winds and Bo Katan is hunting for it now.

Man I’m hyped... when I saw Bo’s night owl helmet my mind started racing all over the place.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh and I forgot to mention, the thing that made me “worry” was that Ashoka can so easily be found on Corvus.

Not that Bo Katan can find her but that I’m hoping that’s just her “home base” when she and Sabine return from their unknown regions search for Ezra (and Thrawn).

Things I’ll be looking for when he reaches Corvus, graffiti and art work from Sabine and any Easter eggs of Hera, Zeb, Callus, CHOP etc.

I would temper your expectations on Ahsoka. They're not going to get to her immediately and will build up to it which will cause some on here to get angry. I believe next week's episode is the one Carl Weathers directed which means the return of Greef Karga and Cara Dune, which was shown in the trailer. I'm going to make the prediction that we're getting a Magnificent Seven style team up with the existing characters and ones introduced this season all going to get the Dark Saber from Moff Gideon. 

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Correct rebels ends before rogue one and a new hope (minus the epilogue where Sabine tells what everyone is doing). Ezra was roughly the same age as Luke, slightly older I believe.

The Mandalorian takes place 4-5 years following RoTJ, in that power vacuum with the Empire crumbling and the the new Republic trying to figure shit out.

So in Rebels, you have a story closed with the dark saber and Mandalore but that would change eventually since we know the Emperor came down hard on Mandalore with the help of Gar Saxon and clan Saxon. Here we see the outcome, Moff Gideon has the dark saber after being stationed on Mandalore and the night owls have been scattered to the winds and Bo Katan is hunting for it now.

Man I’m hyped... when I saw Bo’s night owl helmet my mind started racing all over the place.

If I remember correctly, the epilogue for Rebels never really says how much time has passed.  We just know that it takes place some time after the Battle of Endor, Lothal is thriving, and Hera and Kanan's son is probably around 5-10 years old (as best as you can tell in animation).  That would put it around the same time as The Mandalorian.  Could be Sabine and Ahsoka don't go after Ezra until after the Imperial Remnant is taken care of.  Don't know.  Maybe that's what The Mandalorian is setting up for.    

Honest question: is the audience supposed to view the Mandalorian as a bad ass, or a dude who, while skilled, is out of his depth?

Other than absorbing blaster fire with his magic armor, he wasn't necessary for the ship hijacking, and was easily the weak link of the 4. They've also used the "Mando takes a complete stranger at his word, who immediately betrays him and gets the upper hand" trope a few times now, with no lesson learned.

Not a complaint, just curious about where the character arch is supposed to be starting from.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Honest question: is the audience supposed to view the Mandalorian as a bad ass, or a dude who, while skilled, is out of his depth?

Other than absorbing blaster fire with his magic armor, he wasn't necessary for the ship hijacking, and was easily the weak link of the 4. They've also used the "Mando takes a complete stranger at his word, who immediately betrays him and gets the upper hand" trope a few times now, with no lesson learned.

Not a complaint, just curious about where the character arch is supposed to be starting from.

it's kind of refreshing in a way. yeah he's a badass, but it's also a huge galaxy and there's going to be plenty of people more badass than he is and situations that overwhelm him.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The arc is that he’s basically being a dad right now.   When he was just a solo bounty hunter, he was a lot more badass because he had fewer responsibilities - the situations you mention being bad for him, are all situations he is in because he’s trying to help The Child.  He wouldn’t be in those situations normally.  

I think it highlighted how he wasn’t super-Mando and that group has been surviving together for a long time, so he would try to fit, but he was mostly just another gun.

I think it is also about his character and his sizing people up. He didn’t trust the gangster and was prepared to be betrayed. He may have underestimated the squid faces and overestimated the fish-ackbar race and their motivations for doing a good job.

He also has to trust people, he is being hunted and needs help to complete his mission. He just trusts himself enough to handle the inevitable betrayal.

Also he knee the status, bot positive and negative attention the armor would bring. He went with it anyway, with my guess that he was seeing it like the Red Barron’s plane. A target sure, but a scary sight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lots of good points about mando.

When he was a bounty hunter killing and freezing with ease on the outer rim, he was a lone Mandalorian mythical badass. Now he keeps looping further into realms of the galaxies that know the Mandalorian kind. Like others pointed out he’s also caring about someone else for the first time ever.

Also he’s finding out more about his Mandalorian kind, first with the death watch and now he met more Mandalorians who happen to be the true heiress to Mandalore and have now further blown up what he’s known and lived up to this point.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

If I remember correctly, the epilogue for Rebels never really says how much time has passed.  We just know that it takes place some time after the Battle of Endor, Lothal is thriving, and Hera and Kanan's son is probably around 5-10 years old (as best as you can tell in animation).  That would put it around the same time as The Mandalorian.  Could be Sabine and Ahsoka don't go after Ezra until after the Imperial Remnant is taken care of.  Don't know.  Maybe that's what The Mandalorian is setting up for.    

Yeah my thought was always that it was supposed to be pretty shortly after Endor.

I was just digging around to see if there was any official canon on this, and there apparently is, indeed, official canon that the Epiloge of "Family Reunion" takes place 5 years after the Battle of Yavin, which would make it one year after the Battle of Endor, which took place 4 years after the Battle of Yavin, according to canon. 

So yeah it would have been a few years before the events of the Mandalorian.

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Lots of good points about mando.

When he was a bounty hunter killing and freezing with ease on the outer rim, he was a lone Mandalorian mythical badass. Now he keeps looping further into realms of the galaxies that know the Mandalorian kind. Like others pointed out he’s also caring about someone else for the first time ever.

Also he’s finding out more about his Mandalorian kind, first with the death watch and now he met more Mandalorians who happen to be the true heiress to Mandalore and have now further blown up what he’s known and lived up to this point.

Yeah I was wondering how Filoni was going to handle the whole "helmet on all the time" thing when none of the Mandalorians in Clone Wars or Rebels did that.... and of course he handled it brilliantly, making Mando find out (from actual Mandalore royalty no less) that he is part of an extreme cult of Mandalorians... making him question everything he knows.

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I was wondering how Filoni was going to handle the whole "helmet on all the time" thing when none of the Mandalorians in Clone Wars or Rebels did that.... and of course he handled it brilliantly, making Mando find out (from actual Mandalore royalty no less) that he is part of an extreme cult of Mandalorians... making him question everything he knows.

I was thinking, this explanation makes the story about how Pedro Pascal was calling for his character to go without his helmet a little more believable. It didn't seem reasonable of him to call for more facetime when he knew not showing your face was a big important rule before he started on the show, but now that they just showed a trio of mandalorians getting all kinds of facetime, it explains where Pedro might have been coming from. Assuming the story was true of course.

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I expected nothing less. Did anyone?  Between CW and Rebels, he’s probably done more story writing and world building of Mandalore and its people than anyone else. He likely is THE expert on Mandalorians. The helmet thing wasn’t some plot hole or mistake. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Viper said:

I was thinking, this explanation makes the story about how Pedro Pascal was calling for his character to go without his helmet a little more believable. It didn't seem reasonable of him to call for more facetime when he knew not showing your face was a big important rule before he started on the show, but now that they just showed a trio of mandalorians getting all kinds of facetime, it explains where Pedro might have been coming from. Assuming the story was true of course.

Pedro might be the most replaceable actor of all time after season one of a hit show, and title character. 

40 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

But really. How are they going to tie this into the sequels? Where were Asoka and yoda jr during all that stuff? And the mandolorians? Just sitting out while the first order and Rey and Kylo were out doing stuff?

Ahsoka's voice was in the final scene with Pappa Palpatine and Rey. It would stand to reason that Ahsoka is already passed by then and is a Force Ghost. I'd imagine the series will end with Baby Yoda not being trained in the ways of the Force or spirited off to a remote part of the galaxy to live out a hermit's life so he doesnt' become a pawn in the splintered Empire's plans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Ahsoka's voice was in the final scene with Pappa Palpatine and Rey. It would stand to reason that Ahsoka is already passed by then and is a Force Ghost. I'd imagine the series will end with Baby Yoda not being trained in the ways of the Force or spirited off to a remote part of the galaxy to live out a hermit's life so he doesnt' become a pawn in the splintered Empire's plans. 

Well, we now know Yoda wasn't on Dagobah to hide out from the Empire, he was on Dagobah because the place is an all-you-can-eat buffet for his species.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1