The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

I hate spiders and I liked the episode. Was it a bit of a filler, sure. But I don't mind them as they usually set up something later. And we have yet another deep cut courtesy of Filoni. The droid "Treadwell" that Amy Sedaris talks to is the droid Luke has with him when he observers the opening battle in A New Hope. It was a deleted scene that never made the final film and was only in the rough edit Lucas showed his friends. The Krykna were also in Rebels though they were a desert version of the spiders and impervious to blaster fire. 

underappreciated-droids-2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nobody really thought the space whales episode in Rebels was important at the time either. In Filoni we trust.

IMO that’s one characteristic of a great franchise. A Director who’s dialed in can tie back almost anything from the series and people will “get it”.  If Filoni “geeks” on something, you can damn sure about a million other fans will have a similar reaction. 

I liked it, did it advance the plot much...no.  Was it entertaining....absolutely.  And on the tie back, shit that episode tied back to another side adventure episode from last season with the whole prison break/double cross etc episode.  It sets up the idea that things done previously even if seemingly insignificant continue to matter in the story arc, and frankly that's life, that's adventure...little shit that you didn't notice can come back big time later.  

It doesn't advance the plot?

1. Mando is a wanted criminal to both the Imperial remnants and to the New Republic, even if his actions are understandable to the Republic.

2. Sublight travel exists and is used for purposes other than the hyperdrive being down. Probably a Rebels tie-in.

3. The New Republic isn't the Federation. They stopped to help, but left fixing the ship to Mando.

And filler? This is an hour of the Child and fangirl squeeing. Shit, we saw that upthread: "Eat that egg, you little green bastard. Yeah. Yeah." Sploosh.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Apep said:

It doesn't advance the plot?

1. Mando is a wanted criminal to both the Imperial remnants and to the New Republic, even if his actions are understandable to the Republic.

2. Sublight travel exists and is used for purposes other than the hyperdrive being down. Probably a Rebels tie-in.

3. The New Republic isn't the Federation. They stopped to help, but left fixing the ship to Mando.

And filler? This is an hour of the Child and fangirl squeeing. Shit, we saw that upthread: "Eat that egg, you little green bastard. Yeah. Yeah." Sploosh.

No, it doesn't advance the plot in any meaningful way.  True, Filoni might re-visit elements of this episode just as he did in the whale episode of Rebels, as mentioned above by someone.  But, until that happens, this episode was more filler than anything else. 

1. We knew Mando was a wanted criminal by the Imperial Remnant after Moff Gideon's episode last season.  We also knew the Republic wanted him, and if we didn't know that for sure, we had a pretty good idea after he was a party to the murder of New Republic soldiers while helping with a prison ship breakout last season.  That was when Bill Burr guest starred.  Guess who else guest starred in that episode...Dave Filoni as an X-Wing pilot.  Guess who guest starred as an X-Wing pilot this episode...Dave Filoni.

2. We already knew sub-light travel existed.  Remember, in The Empire Strikes Back the Millennium Falcon's hyper drive was damaged and they had to limp to Bespin from the Noad system after dodging the Imperial Fleet.  Guess who followed them at sub-light speed....Slave I and Boba Fett.

3. I don't know that the New Republic pilots not helping fix the ship was all that important, outside of tying up this episode with a nice bow.

Speaking of Boba Fett, wouldn't it have been amazing to see him step out from behind the rocks after Mando was thrown from his speeder? I thought for sure after those three slapdicks dismounted him and were killed by Mando, that the Fett Man would walk out from behind a rock.  Too bad we didn't get that.  

Still fun to watch the show, this was just a sub-standard episode.  Especially after last week's outstanding season premiere. 

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

...little shit that you didn't notice 

Cobb Vance literally bent over to shoot the rock, which hit the dragon in the eye.

The original Boba Fett action figure could only bend over, and originally had a spring-loaded rocket, that was recalled because...it was hitting kids in the eye.

Love this stuff.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

No, it doesn't advance the plot in any meaningful way.  True, Filoni might re-visit elements of this episode just as he did in the whale episode of Rebels, as mentioned above by someone.  But, until that happens, this episode was more filler than anything else. 

1. We knew Mando was a wanted criminal by the Imperial Remnant after Moff Gideon's episode last season.  We also knew the Republic wanted him, and if we didn't know that for sure, we had a pretty good idea after he was a party to the murder of New Republic soldiers while helping with a prison ship breakout last season.  That was when Bill Burr guest starred.  Guess who else guest starred in that episode...Dave Filoni as an X-Wing pilot.  Guess who guest starred as an X-Wing pilot this episode...Dave Filoni.

2. We already knew sub-light travel existed.  Remember, in The Empire Strikes Back the Millennium Falcon's hyper drive was damaged and they had to limp to Bespin from the Noad system after dodging the Imperial Fleet.  Guess who followed them at sub-light speed....Slave I and Boba Fett.

3. I don't know that the New Republic pilots not helping fix the ship was all that important, outside of tying up this episode with a nice bow.

Speaking of Boba Fett, wouldn't it have been amazing to see him step out from behind the rocks after Mando was thrown from his speeder? I thought for sure after those three slapdicks dismounted him and were killed by Mando, that the Fett Man would walk out from behind a rock.  Too bad we didn't get that.  

Still fun to watch the show, this was just a sub-standard episode.  Especially after last week's outstanding season premiere. 

So what you're saying is next episode Boba Fett will be trailing Mando and step in to help/confront/something on his sublight flight / destination after trailing him from Tatooine to the ice planet onto his next destination all while undetected on Slave One ......?

I think that might advance in a meaningful way.... for a filler episode.

3 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

That would be amazing. Especially with only 6 episodes left.

Do you really think BY is getting home this season? Some of you don’t appear to understand the difference between an open ended television show and a movie. If you’re only watching for the destination, you’re really gonna miss the journey. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Do you really think BY is getting home this season? Some of you don’t appear to understand the difference between an open ended television show and a movie. If you’re only watching for the destination, you’re really gonna miss the journey. 

No, I don’t think he’s getting home anytime soon. 

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'd rather have this slow burn for multiple seasons than whatever that shit was with the last three sequels 

Agreed.  Thankfully, it sounds like Filoni/Favreau and the TV side are untouchable by Kennedy.

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

Olyphant should have been cast as the Mandalorian. 

I think Pascal's voice is much more suited to it, and part of Olyphant's appeal is his facial expressions.

I would have liked Olyphant to keep the armor and, owing to the main threats to his little town being wiped out, perhaps join Mandalorian's little band of misfits.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:57 PM, longhornmatt said:

Half of the episodes last season didn’t really advance the plot, either.   It’s basically a serialized 80s show like The A-Team or Magnum PI set in the Star Wars universe.  And it’s great.

That was my "complaint" last season: that it's an extremely formulaic procedural. Mando takes mission from suspect person and/or with suspect stipulations, it inevitably goes wrong, his ship gets fucked up (seriously, I think he's had to repair his ship 6 times in 10 episodes), and the bad guys/aliens kick the greatest warrior in the universe's ass until he's saved by his magical armor or other McGuffin.

But it's such a fun universe that it's easy to look past all that and just enjoy it for what it is. Not everything has to be an epic tale.

On 11/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, mdmost said:

The episode was directed by Peyton Reed from Ant Man. The giant ant was a nice nod to that. 

34 minutes ago, Xian said:

Loved seeing the OT insect alien while at the same time getting an entirely new frog species 

Also, Dr. Mandible? classic

• Haha 1

Sheesh.... the whole "advance the plot/didn't advance the plot" argument takes me back to post-Sopranos episode arguments if the previous episode didn't focus enough on Mob machinations.

Anyone who watched Rebels, Clone Wars or, hell, Mandalorian season 1 shouldn't be surprised about episode 2.  That's exactly in-line with how Filoni tells stories.  You're not going to get touchstones of the primary overarching plot every week... they are going to be sprinkled in throughout the season, you're going to have a lot of "side adventures" that seemingly have nothing to do with the overall story, and there WILL be a great payoff in the end.

In Filoni we (should) trust.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

I thought this episode was incredibly weak. It did nothing to advance the story. Just a filler episode that wasn’t very entertaining. 

I agree and disagree.  It did nothing to advance the story (which was weird, why wouldn't you move it forward a little); but it was entertaining.  Haven't watched the next ep, so I will eject from the thread.

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

How do you know it didn’t advance the story? Maybe Mando falls in love with frog lady. Maybe baby Yoda is allergic to those eggs and they have to find a Yoda hospital ASAP.

Joking aside, it's definitely true that we don't know yet how it will advance the story.

Someone posted above about slower-than-light travel/unknown regions.... that was a HUGE thing in Rebels and given that Thrawn/Ezra are currently hanging out in unknown regions and Ashoka/Sabine are looking for them... this episode could end up being a key piece to linking the series together and introducing those characters.

Be patient and trust in Filoni.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I agree and disagree.  It did nothing to advance the story (which was weird, why wouldn't you move it forward a little); but it was entertaining.  Haven't watched the next ep, so I will eject from the thread.

It’s an episodic slow burn. They’re not going to advance the plot in some episodes. They’re going to light speed the plot in others, kind of like the other shows Filoni has developed. Everything so far has been the most enjoyable, live action Star Wars vehicle since Empire. Good story telling to me isn’t constantly jamming the plot forward, it’s pacing. Dave has a plan, and it’s worked so far. Once the Clone Wars/Rebels characters surface, it’ll be all systems go.

• Hook 'Em 1