The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kind of this. Ahoska is on God level by the last season of Clone Wars and some older lady gives her a good fight with a beskar spear. Uh what? 

Jesus, this is what Star Wars dorks always do.  Like college football the transitive property does not apply....let it go. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Jesus, this is what Star Wars dorks always do.  Like college football the transitive property does not apply....let it go. 

Noted. In Filoni I Trust.

Maybe it sets up Mando holding his own against Gideon and the Darksaber. Perhaps the beskar spear plays a significant role down the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kind of this. Ahoska is on God level by the last season of Clone Wars and some older lady gives her a good fight with a beskar spear. Uh what? 

Well if she just straight up smoked her, she wouldn't have gotten the info she was wanting.   Also the lady who played Morgan Elsbeth......

• Hook 'Em 1

When I saw the name Inosanto I knew she was a martial artist. I kind of wish Ashoka learned to force choke and just pull her off the damn wall in the first place.

Appreciated the owl, and the cat thingy in the episode as well.

Fucking loved it. Right now I would put Dave/Gutter in charge of Texas Football.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

As someone who grew up with Star Wars but never watched an episode of Clone Wars or Rebels, the episode was good but not great. Seems like all the rave reviews are from Clone Wars fanboys reacting to fan service. 

This is much more than Clone Wars fanboys reacting to fan service. This is a celebration of finally having someone in charge who “gets” Star Wars. Someone who has a vision and is executing to that vision.

These past few weeks with Ahsoka, Bo Katan, lothcats, etc...are byproducts of Filoni’s success and his vision paying off. This is real excitement, finally, surrounding the franchise that previously lacked focus with the last trilogy that came out. 

I’d suggest watching Clone Wars and Rebels, then you’d see why we’re all excited. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Given that she wanted to interrogate the Magistrate and that the beskar spear is an odd weapon, (compared to a staff, a light saber, or a blaster), it's no wonder the fight progressed slower than we'd expect given how she fought Maule in CW s7.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

As someone who grew up with Star Wars but never watched an episode of Clone Wars or Rebels, the episode was good but not great. Seems like all the rave reviews are from Clone Wars fanboys reacting to fan service. 

If you knew anything about Ahsoka and the Clone Wars Mortis story arc, specifically the Daughter, you would understand how excited the fan base is when Filoni carries over meaningful connections from the Ahsoka from those series to the Ahsoka in this series. Continuity of character and story arcs across shows is refreshing and encouraging, encouraging that the Star Wars universe is in good hands, and that shit like the last 3 Star Wars movies hopefully will never happen again. This is why Marvel Avengers did so fucking well and is praised for the continuity in story telling across 20+ movies.

Or you can be simple minded and dismiss it as fan service. But the only true disservice you are doing is depriving yourself of a richer, more meaningful show.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I see I wasn't the only one who caught that.

Total badassery.

I didn't know this until this Mando series that Lucas was/is a huge fan of Kurosowa, which made Filoni a huge fan of Kurosowa. It's shit like this that makes the show richer in meaning, the homage to masters and idols before.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It's 2020 and this is going entirely too well.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

My fear is that Kennedy somehow gets her claws into it, and shoves Luke/Leia/Han into it in some way, or brings in her people from outside of Filoni and Favreau's circle to write/direct.

With that said, I have to think Disney won't let her fuck around with it. Favreau kicked off the MCU, and he and Filoni have a property that is massive draw for Disney+, and Disney+ is driving the company right now.

And I also think there is some credence to the rumors that she is just a figurehead and Filoni/Favreau are running Star Wars.

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is that the actual backstory? Busy doing other things?

For Captain Marvel?  Yes, we should see it explained in the next Captain Marvel/Adam Warlock/Doctor Strange/Guardians movies now that Marvel is moving into the "Cosmic" phase of things.  Even rumors that Silver Surfer and Galactus will be a part of it.

For Ahsoka?   We know she's dead by Episode IX.

I have no idea how her character's backstory plays out during 7/8/9, but I have faith that Filoni and Co. will explain it well, probably in the Ahsoka spin-off series.  There are a lot of possibilities they can explore in regards to what happens to Ahsoka, and now that they've thrown Thrawn into the mix, it's going to be a fun ride.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

God damn. Spoiler that shit, asshole. 

The fanboys here are worse than the book fags on the GoT threads.

Wait, you haven't watched IX yet?  

I'm not going to spoiler a year-old movie.

It's on Disney+.

I understand being drained by the thought of finishing the Abrams/Johnson/Abrams shitshow of a trilogy, but not my fault you refused to watch it.

Edited by atomheartbevo

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, you haven't watched IX yet?  

I'm not going to spoiler a year-old movie.

It's on Disney+.

I understand being drained by the thought of finishing the Abrams/Johnson/Abrams shitshow of a trilogy, but not my fault you refused to watch it.

I wish I never watched Rise of Skywalker. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have no idea how her character's backstory plays out during 7/8/9, but I have faith that Filoni and Co. will explain it well, probably in the Ahsoka spin-off series.  There are a lot of possibilities they can explore in regards to what happens to Ahsoka, and now that they've thrown Thrawn into the mix, it's going to be a fun ride.

Yoda: "When gone am I, the last of the jedi will you be."

Guessing she escaped the whole order 66 deal and then hid out undetected Yoda style?

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

And it's even more badass that Filoni directed a few episodes of Avatar the Last Airbender. I wonder if there have been any homages to that series in Clone Wars, Rebels, or this series.

I think Filoni said in the Mando doc that he was at Nickelodeon doing the Avatar when he received a call from Lucas film. Initially Filoni thought co-workers were playing a joke on him, saying that he’s only worked on 2d animation and there’s no way they’d want him for CW. I bet we see some stuff from there. This is probably a reach but, Appa doesn’t even talk in the Avatar yet still carries a ton of weight and emotion during the entire series. Grogu is no doubt a bigger character but his emotions and actions have been on point, and I bet Filoni had a lot to do with that.  

Edited by DoneWithit
  • Hook 'Em 1