The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For the record, my coworker thinks Ezra will save day while introducing Thrawn in the finale. Nothing groundbreaking, but no Vos. 

I think Vos is a safe bet. Phantom Menace alum. Canon character. Clone Wars character. Actor would be a person of color. Didn't die/wasn't really around during Order 66, likely still alive. He checks a lot of Disney's boxes, and would fit into Filoni's vision for the show/Star Wars Universe. 

We only have one season finale to go on, but based on it, if Ezra or Thrawn came into the picture, it would be in passing - the big season reveal last time, was the Dark Saber, and it was used by Gideon to cut his way out of his ship.  It had no impact on the season at large.  It was like "holy shit guys, here it is, catch ya later for next season!"   The way Ahsoka name-dropped Thrawn, that's the kind of reference we'd get - or maybe Gideon reporting to him over hologram or whatever in the last scene of this season.  Season 2 has been leaky as hell as well.

The thing about Vos, I think I mentioned it here or in another thread, he had a whole storyline that had to be cut from CW when they ended the series early, and that storyline was already written/fleshed out, so it ended up in a novel.

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm loving Madalorian, but all of these references to the cartoon series is killing me.  Not that I mind- at all.  It's just that I've tried on no fewer than 4 occasions to get into The Clone Wars and I just can't. I don't think I've ever wanted to like a series more in my life, but it's a beating for me.

The movie and first season can be a bit of a beating - it is just jammed to the gills with action from the start, which isn't normally a bad thing, but it felt like a beating to me.

Do either the episode guide, or like billfromlaketravis said, do Rebels first.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm loving Madalorian, but all of these references to the cartoon series is killing me.  Not that I mind- at all.  It's just that I've tried on no fewer than 4 occasions to get into The Clone Wars and I just can't. I don't think I've ever wanted to like a series more in my life, but it's a beating for me.

Season 7 is really all you need to watch. 

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The movie and first season can be a bit of a beating - it is just jammed to the gills with action from the start, which isn't normally a bad thing, but it felt like a beating to me.

Do either the episode guide, or like billfromlaketravis said, do Rebels first.

So I watched the CW movie after last week's episode ... you guys were holding out on us ... am I the only one ready to have a spin off focused on Drag Queen the Hutt and uncle's "jazz" bar? He was FABulous ... I could watch an entire series on his adventures in Corusant ... not to mention baby Jabba was almost as cute as Baby Yoda.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So I watched the CW movie after last week's episode ... you guys were holding out on us ... am I the only one ready to have a spin off focused on Drag Queen the Hutt and uncle's "jazz" bar? He was FABulous ... I could watch an entire series on his adventures in Corusant ... not to mention baby Jabba was almost as cute as Baby Yoda.

9/10 on the troll attempt. 

Should have worked the Phantom Menace in there to really incite rage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I agree. I watched the 5 recommended episodes from the first season and it’s just boring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One tiny plot point that needs a bit of clearing up and I expect it will happen next week when we learn how he survived. Boba is on Tatooine living out a meager, nomad like existence after surviving the Sarlacc 5 years ago. He's tough enough to kill a Tusken, where he got his gaffi stick and rifle from, and live in the Jundland Wastes. He wouldn't hear about a guy wearing his old armor who was now the Marshall of one of the few towns on the planet which he seemed to not be that far away from? He even has his old ship to fly to that town, kill the Marshall, and take his armor back. Yet Mando hears about this guy on a totally different planet? I get the journey and I'm not trying to overthink this. It just was pointed out elsewhere and is a bit of a weird sticking point. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Yeah for someone like you who just can't get into it, you'll just have to do the skimmed down episode lists that get to the main plot points that you'll need to know. Lot's of skippable episodes and arcs for people who aren't hard core into the animated stuff like us.

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

CW takes a little while to take hold but then it’s fantastic. The episode guide that tells you what to skip is very helpful. 

Especially this.

19 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Season 7 is really all you need to watch. 

Disagree completely. It's a  MUST Watch.  But not the ONLY thing you need to watch.  Missing out a TON of back stories and plot points.

18 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Finally, a goddamn straight answer. 

Not really.  Yes he NEEDS to watch it.  But there's a LOT leading up to that.

I disagree with the need to watch the entirety of season 7. You could probably take a handful of Ahsoka eps throughout the first five seasons and the final four eps from s7 and get emotionally invested enough for Rebels to hit you in the feels.

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Clone Wars gets good in season 4.  You just have to slog through the first few seasons.  Use the episode guide.

Yes this is what I was thinking. It took me months to work through the first two or three seasons but once I got to season four, I breezed through it in a few weeks, the last season in days. 

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

There’s a reason that the recommended episode guide says to stop watching the Clone Wars movie after the first battle ends. 

I didn’t bother watching a cartoon until I heard Darth Maul was still alive. I started watching around then, probably halfway through the CW series and didn’t feel like I missed much. There was this Ahsoka girl who was Anakin’s padawan sidekick. There were some assassins/inquisitors that worked for Count Dooku. Cool, got it. The back half of CW was better than the first half (i eventually went back and watched, and only think about 1/3 of those episodes were worth the time). The final Season 7 they released this year was great, definitely the last 4-5 episodes. If you know who Ahsoka is and anything about Mandalore, you don’t need that much more background to enjoy. It is some of the best SW ever made. 

Once you get some attachment to Ahsoka’s character, your viewing time would be better spent watching Rebels than the early seasons of CW. New rag tag bunch of rebels, a couple Jedi, Ahsoka, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Obi Wan...dovetails into Rogue One and OG Star Wars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, TexasHooch said:

Clone Wars gets a lot better after the first season. The second season is an improvement and the show hits its stride by the 3rd season.

Rebels is entertaining from the jump.

Spoiler

Was Mara Jade in the Clone Wars or Rebels series?

Because now that Chapter 15 has leaked

[spioler]

and we find out out that Omera from the planet Sorgan in "The Sanctuary" (chapter 4?) shows up, courtesy of the Millenium Falcon, and that her actual name is "Mara" and that Luke sensed a disturbance in the Force and sent her to help, is this more backstory I'm going to have to watch or read up on?

[/spoiler]

Spoiler

Just fucking with you all,

On 12/8/2020 at 8:14 PM, longhornmatt said:

It gets good in Season 4?   Season ... 4.

Yeah, I’m just going to stick to watching the show about New Boba Fett, Carl Weathers, and now also Old Boba Fett blowing up the monsters of the week while Baby Yoda does cute things.   I don’t feel like I’m missing a lot of context that is inhibiting my enjoyment of this show.  

Season 4?!?!   I’d imagined CW and Rebels to be greater than Breaking Bad and The Sopranos combined based on this thread, and then you all casually drop, “Oh yeah, half the seasons are shitty, but after about a month of binging it Stockholm Syndrome will set in and then the back half is great!”

This right here.

Prepare for a supposed slew of announced Star Wars shows later this afternoon during Disney's Investor's Call where they're unveiling the 2021 Disney+ lineup. There's thought at least 1-2 animated shows will be announced along with Boba Fett and Ahsoka shows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, fakebusiness said:

The Mandalorian is pretty decent. I don't get all of the hype though. Is this like some circlejerk for dorks I don't understand?

How are we to know what and why you don't understand?  Could be cognitive.  Maybe it's a personality thing. Perhaps it's a byproduct of previous trauma... who hurt you?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fakebusiness said:

The Mandalorian is pretty decent. I don't get all of the hype though. Is this like some circlejerk for dorks I don't understand?

Based on your first and now second posts, I'm going out on a limb and say that you haven't read a book, any book, since sophomore year for English class. 

This board has no shortage of idiots so I'm sure you will fit in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1