The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Who do we think makes up the rescue squad?

Mando

Boba

Fennec

Cara

Mayfeld

Is that enough? Seems thin to take on Dark Troopers. 

• Mando
  • Boba
  • Fennec (she's pretty hot for pushing 60)
  • Cara
  • Greef
  • Mayfeld
  • Bo-Katan and her two friends (they are after a little something that Moff Gideon has).  Their current arc lines up more with Mando and Gideon than it does a potential Ahsoka spin-off, since they are hunting the same guy that Mando is now hunting.
  • I think Ahsoka makes an appearance at the end, possibly to save the day (but not fight Gideon).

Outside chance: Quinlan Vos (any really new Jedi should have already been hinted at by now though, I think).  Vos has an established background in the FiloniVerse, just like Bo and Ahsoka.  

Spoiler

Rick Famuyiwa is writing the next episode - he wrote/directed The Prisoner episode with Mayfeld (Burr), so he's probably directing.  Jon Favreau is writing the last episode, and I think either he or Filoni will probably direct it).

If I could go back to the late 80s and tell my young self something, not sure if it would be "hey, in 2020, the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back will involve Boba Fett and Apollo Creed" or "HEY, LISTEN TO ME CAREFULLY, BUY ALL OF THE APPLE STOCK YOU CAN OVER THE NEXT 20 YEARS.  EVERY SPARE CENT OF EVERY PAYCHECK!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  • Mando
  • Boba
  • Cara
  • Greef
  • Mayfeld
  • Bo-Katan and her two friends (they are after a little something that Moff Gideon has).  Their current arc lines up more with Mando and Gideon than it does a potential Ahsoka spin-off, since they are hunting the same guy that Mando is now hunting.
  • I think Ahsoka makes an appearance at the end, possibly to save the day (but not fight Gideon).

Outside chance: Quinlan Vos (any really new Jedi should have already been hinted at by now though, I think).  Vos has an established background in the FiloniVerse, just like Bo and Ahsoka.  

Hide contents

Rick Famuyiwa is writing the next episode - he wrote/directed The Prisoner episode with Mayfeld (Burr), so he's probably directing.  Jon Favreau is writing the last episode, and I think either he or Filoni will probably direct it).

Put some respect on Ming-na Wen’s name. She’s perpetually in her early 30s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I thought so at first viewing, but a quick look on Google and  apparently he still works out regularly.

Watching it again, obviously he hurriedly throws the armor on over his outfit/robe/whatever so he is bulky.

But, and I can't describe it very well, and maybe it's influenced by the line earlier about swearing allegiance to no one, which s totally a Ronin Samurai thing, but it's almost like they were trying to make him look like a Samurai of some sort, with the black robe and then the armor.  The way the camera caught him moving a few times just felt like it was out of a Samurai movie, and the clothing combination felt like that big Samurai armor/outfit.

Like he's rearing back, about to take a swing with a sword (or rather his staff).  This doesn't do it justice, needs to be seen moving, but it just felt very Samurai-ish.

spacer.png

Kind of like this, but not the best comparison.  Just how he moved.

spacer.png

For comparison, here he is last year doing PR for the Dora movie.

Reveal hidden contents

los-angeles-usa-28th-july-2019-temuera-m

He could have put on weight since last year, but I think they deliberately bulked him with the clothing and the armor on top for some kind of Samurai look.

That shot of Boba actually made me think of Predator when he preened a little bit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
  • Mando
  • Boba
  • Cara
  • Greef
  • Mayfeld

Hide contents

I think it’s going to be Vos. Ezra is too obvious. 

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You guys don’t think they might introduce a new Jedi?  He’s done it before in his animated series’. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think it’s going to be Vos. Ezra is too obvious. 

I think Ezra would detract from the Mandalorian series too much and overshadow everything.  Dropping Ezra in at the end would also wipe out a huge plot element of an Ahsoka spinoff series.  She'll spend at least a full season or two looking for Ezra and Thrawn.

Vos ticks a lot of boxes, especially since Filoni didn't get to finish telling his story in the animated series, and had to leave it to a novel (which I think is now non-canon).  

I’ll say it again after this episode here goes the finale...

In lands a bird-like merc ship and out steps a mysterious figure and ignites his saber...

He says he’s been hunting down the rumored dark trooper program at the request of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, when he get a disturbance in the force while at the Valley of the Jedi he reaches out and hears Grogu lost amongst the fear of Order 66 and seeing Anakin slaughter his classmates and now having bonded with Din.

He tells them his name is Kyle Katarn and this is the Moldy Crow, out steps Mara Jade his co-pilot.

Queue thrawns theme and cut to the credits as we see a graffiti symbol that looks like a chimera! See ya next season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Is Taika Watiki directing the last episode again this year? I thought I'd read that he was directing one of the shows this year, and it would make sense to put him on the finale again.

As for a potential Jedi showing up in the finale, I'd be *very* surprised if it was Mace. I just don't see Filoni/Favreau doing something like that without planting the seeds for it first.  Ezra is the obvious choice since that whole storyline has already been teased with Ashoka showing up an mentioning Thrawn.  I think it'll either be him showing up or Ashoka returning.

I think Ezra was too involved in fighting the empire in Rebels and too trained as a Jedi to just have his story be he decided to sit out the original trilogy but now he’s going to come back since he got an intergalactic Jedi phone.  You also wouldn’t have the Sabine and Asoka scene at the end of Rebels (that may still be after this point in the timeline). 

Should we assume a happy ending to this story?  What if that was the call that woke up the emperor’s spirit in the force? 

26 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I think Ezra was too involved in fighting the empire in Rebels and too trained as a Jedi to just have his story be he decided to sit out the original trilogy but now he’s going to come back since he got an intergalactic Jedi phone.  You also wouldn’t have the Sabine and Asoka scene at the end of Rebels (that may still be after this point in the timeline). 

The die is cast. Ezra (and Thrawn) are coming back. It's only question of when.

And yes I'm sure there will be a chorus of "what was he doing during the Galactic Civil War?!" but Filoni and Favreau have more than proven that they can and will come up with something that makes sense.

Outside of the hidden Jedi possibility I discussed above, (perhaps as a bounty hunter sub for Greef), I don't think we get a new Jedi as part of the seven samurai. I see the below list as the likely team. (Maybe sub Bo-Katan's two mandos for Cara and Greef.)

1. Mando

2. Boba

3. Fennec

4. Cara

5. Mayfeld

6. Greef

7. Bo-Katan

I think it is now more likely that we find a Jedi in a Mandalorian vault (for imprisoning Jedis, e.g. the one used on Maul in Clone Wars) on Moff Gideon's ship. I don't think it will be Ezra because I read somewhere about some possible canon where Sabine was still looking for him a couple of years later.

3 minutes ago, Apep said:

I think it is now more likely that we find a Jedi in a Mandalorian vault (for imprisoning Jedis, e.g. the one used on Maul in Clone Wars) on Moff Gideon's ship. I don't think it will be Ezra because I read somewhere about some possible canon where Sabine was still looking for him a couple of years later.

I believe they have said they've used other Force sensitives as donors but Grogu was the best viable candidate.  That kinda points to them having at least one Jedi imprisoned. 

10 minutes ago, Apep said:

Outside of the hidden Jedi possibility I discussed above, (perhaps as a bounty hunter sub for Greef), I don't think we get a new Jedi as part of the seven samurai. I see the below list as the likely team. (Maybe sub Bo-Katan's two mandos for Cara and Greef.)

1. Mando

2. Boba

3. Fennec

4. Cara

5. Mayfeld

6. Greef

7. Bo-Katan

Maybe. One of the Nite Owls, not Bo, said her character won't appear again on the Mandalorian this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Loose Stool said:

Well, we know the next episode will be springing Mayfield from prison. The in the finale we'll probably have a cliffhanger with the team getting their ass kicked by the Dark Troopers and Gideon.  With Grogu still in captivity and the team barely getting away (maybe casualties of Cara, Fennec, Mayfield, etc.)  In the final scene, we'll see some cloaked figure approach the Jedi temple with the only reveal being a mechanical hand.  Everyone thinks it is Luke but it is probably the rumored to be alive Mace Windu.  We won't know who until next year.

also the next episode will feature another run-in with the New Republic and will probably have something that was setup by the "filler" episode 

41 minutes ago, Apep said:

1. Mando

2. Boba

3. Fennec

4. Cara

5. Mayfeld

6. Greef

7. Bo-Katan

The actor that plays the female mandalorian (not Bo) has already said she will not appear in anymore episodes this season but is hopeful for the future. 

edit - Mercedes Varnado

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don’t think a Jedi will be front and center for the combat.

I don’t think any explanation or introduction of a Jedi would be setup for next season of the Ahsoka spinoff. I told my daughter I wouldn’t be surprised if Ahsoka’s part motivation was to maybe provide a homing beacon to help her find Ezra with the Thrawn angle struggling.

Besides I don’t think Mando needs a Jedi as there are no Sith that would equal them.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ezra is the obvious choice since that whole storyline has already been teased with Ashoka showing up an mentioning Thrawn.  I think it'll either be him showing up or Ashoka returning.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m not arguing that Ezra isn’t coming back, not thrawn.  They are, clearly.  But not in this season, and maybe not even this show.  There’s going to be a search for Ezra.

Bob Iger openly talked about Mandalorian spinning off shows, and Ahsoka is the natural choice, especially with Filoni making sure we knew she was obsessively searching for Thrawn, and had been hunting for him for years.  A search for Ezra (and Thrawn) is a good season or two's worth of episodes in a spinoff series.

I don't see Ahsoka going through all of this shit, wiping out who knows how many people in addition to those we saw in Chapter 13, only for Ezra to show up because of the beacon.

I could see Ahsoka show up though.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:37 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Rosario Dawson put this on her instagram

spacer.png

She get IT.

23 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

In lands a bird-like merc ship and out steps a mysterious figure and ignites his saber...

He says he’s been hunting down the rumored dark trooper program at the request of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, when he get a disturbance in the force while at the Valley of the Jedi he reaches out and hears Grogu lost amongst the fear of Order 66 and seeing Anakin slaughter his classmates and now having bonded with Din.

He tells them his name is Kyle Katarn and this is the Moldy Crow, out steps Mara Jade his co-pilot.

Queue thrawns theme and cut to the credits as we see a graffiti symbol that looks like a chimera! See ya next season.

Yo he does this, and it might be the one thing that brings the "Disney is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars" and the "You know, this stuff is pretty good" camps together.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:24 PM, Speedtrucker said:

The math works. I believe Katarn would be in his early 30's during the Mandalorian. 

On 12/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, Buzzrock said:

Who do we think makes up the rescue squad?

Mando

Boba

Fennec

Cara

Mayfeld

Is that enough? Seems thin to take on Dark Troopers. 

At its heart, The Mandalorian is just about a guy who kept help but make best friends wherever he goes.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The math works. I believe Katarn would be in his early 30's during the Mandalorian. 

My money is still on Vos, but Katarn wouldn't be bad.

If there was any Ezra, it could literally be something like Mando's gang fights Gideon, gets Grogu back, they take off with Gideon in pursuit (or they don't get Grogu back and take off after Gideon), and then Ezra shows up when everybody has left.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My money is still on Vos, but Katarn wouldn't be bad.

If there was any Ezra, it could literally be something like Mando's gang fights Gideon, gets Grogu back, they take off with Gideon in pursuit (or they don't get Grogu back and take off after Gideon), and then Ezra shows up when everybody has left.

I threw Katarn's name at a Star Wars super fan coworker and he immediately shut it down. "Katarn was originally credited with stealing the Death Star and they changed to Jin Erso in Rogue One." I don't think that bodes well for Katarn to be introduced on the Mandalorian. 

For the record, my coworker thinks Ezra will save day while introducing Thrawn in the finale. Nothing groundbreaking, but no Vos. 

I think Vos is a safe bet. Phantom Menace alum. Canon character. Clone Wars character. Actor would be a person of color. Didn't die/wasn't really around during Order 66, likely still alive. He checks a lot of Disney's boxes, and would fit into Filoni's vision for the show/Star Wars Universe. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Yeah so Katarn is a pipe dream but he’s been almost completely written out by every other canon Star Wars event now.

Same with Mara Jade which was why I used her in my example instead of his main sidekick Jan Ors.

KK stole the Death Star plans, rewritten.
KK discovered and destroyed the Dark Trooper program, currently rewriting.
KK can’t have dalliance with dark side and Mara Jade.
MJ can’t marry Luke.
Neither could probably be at Luke’s academy at this point.

I was saddened when in the final ship battle during the last sequel that the raven’s claw or even moldy crow didn’t sneak into the background like the Outrider did.

I'm loving Madalorian, but all of these references to the cartoon series is killing me.  Not that I mind- at all.  It's just that I've tried on no fewer than 4 occasions to get into The Clone Wars and I just can't. I don't think I've ever wanted to like a series more in my life, but it's a beating for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm loving Madalorian, but all of these references to the animated series is killing me.  Not that I mind- at all.  It's just that I've tried on no fewer than 4 occasions to get into The Clone Wars and I just can't. I don't think I've ever wanted to like a series more in my life, but it's a beating for me.

8 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm loving Madalorian, but all of these references to the cartoon series is killing me.  Not that I mind- at all.  It's just that I've tried on no fewer than 4 occasions to get into The Clone Wars and I just can't. I don't think I've ever wanted to like a series more in my life, but it's a beating for me.

I’d watch Rebels first. It’s the approach I took, and it helped me get through hours of  Clone Wars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah so Katarn is a pipe dream but he’s been almost completely written out by every other canon Star Wars event now.

Same with Mara Jade which was why I used her in my example instead of his main sidekick Jan Ors.

KK stole the Death Star plans, rewritten.
KK discovered and destroyed the Dark Trooper program, currently rewriting.
KK can’t have dalliance with dark side and Mara Jade.
MJ can’t marry Luke.
Neither could probably be at Luke’s academy at this point.

I was saddened when in the final ship battle during the last sequel that the raven’s claw or even moldy crow didn’t sneak into the background like the Outrider did.

Coulda sworn I read on wookipedia that moldy crow was there, when trying to educate me on who the fuck these characters are you guys are talking about.