Early Voting 2018 thread of doom

Pancho

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think there is a method for a fully secured, auditable voting system unless you are willing to connect the name of the voter to their ballot.  Or an ID# of the voter to their ballot.  However that creates other issues where 3rd parties could verify how someone voted.  Leads to voter intimidation or pay-for-votes.

Scantron.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think there is a method for a fully secured, auditable voting system unless you are willing to connect the name of the voter to their ballot.  Or an ID# of the voter to their ballot.  However that creates other issues where 3rd parties could verify how someone voted.  Leads to voter intimidation or pay-for-votes.

Jokes on you, Soros already pays for my vote.  Ready to turn in my "I voted" sticker for my Sorosbucks.

• Like 1

Voted. Longest line I've dealt with at my early voting location. A woman in a GOP shirt tried to chat me up because I was wearing a Mammoet company shirt. Red with their logo.

220px-Mammoet_BV_logo.svg.png

I politely informed her it was a corporate logo. She had claimed she moved polling locations because she'd been harassed at another one.

I typically vote at the Randalls at 183 and Breaker. I just swung by to vote and decided to come back another day because the line was almost to the end of the shopping center. I work close by so I'll go at lunch tomorrow or Wednesday when it's a little slower, but damn, it wasn't even that long on election day in 16.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

voted on my way home from work.  only had to wait about 20 minutes.  voted against every republican on the ballot and in races where they were unopposed, i left it blank.  

fuck them for what they've done the past several years.  hope this is a bloodbath.

Ditto. Could not bring myself to even vote for the unopposed Rs.

23 minutes ago, NowThis said:

early voting running tallies are not announced , right? what about exit polling?

Not really no. They might poll “people who voted” early as a subset of a regular poll but that’s about it 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Voted. Longest line I've dealt with at my early voting location. A woman in a GOP shirt tried to chat me up because I was wearing a Mammoet company shirt. Red with their logo.

I politely informed her it was a corporate logo. She had claimed she moved polling locations because she'd been harassed at another one.

Now that is quality trolling right there. 

The larger counties are reporting over 3% of the registered voters voting today.  Harris was one of the lower results at 2.70%.  These are all 2-3x greater than the 2014 numbers.  

El Paso usually has some very low turnout rates.  I believe they had less than 3k vote in day 1 in 2014.   Today?  Greater than 15k.

if some of the turnout numbers keep at this rate, i don’t know if any pollster will know what to think about it.  

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know we are kind of all numb to it now, but it's pretty insane that we live in a democratic country where it is universally agreed upon that one specific political party benefits when less people vote. 

I’m expecting that the Texas GOP will work to shut down early voting after this election. I’m surprised Dannie Goeb isn’t publicly trying to lay the groundwork that early voting is bad. 

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m expecting that the Texas GOP will work to shut down early voting after this election. I’m surprised Dannie Goeb isn’t publicly trying to lay the groundwork that early voting is bad. 

Straight ticket voting has already been killed as of the 2020 election. I’m not sure they can get away with killing early voting without suffering some kind of backlash. It would piss off a lot of repubs and independents too.

Waited about 25 minutes to vote at the Randalls in CP at Cypress Creek & Lakeline. That's at least 2X as long as I've ever waited at that location. Predominantly the olds in line (it was about 3PM). Had a surreal moment when an attractive, youngish Indian lady (literal Dot and nose stud) entered the line about ten people behind me. The line snaked through the lobby area like an airport gate check. I was watching the number of eyes that bugged out & old spouses nudging one another & whispering under their breath when this lady of color arrived. I'm sure many of the knuckle draggers went back to their homes telling the story of how a busload of brown people were dropped off by Soros operatives in CP.

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

should have worn this...

2250025?w=1024&h=1024

Waited about 25 minutes to vote at the Randalls in CP at Cypress Creek & Lakeline. That's at least 2X as long as I've ever waited at that location. Predominantly the olds in line (it was about 3PM). Had a surreal moment when an attractive, youngish Indian lady (literal Dot and nose stud) entered the line about ten people behind me. The line snaked through the lobby area like an airport gate check. I was watching the number of eyes that bugged out & old spouses nudging one another & whispering under their breath when this lady of color arrived. I'm sure many of the knuckle draggers went back to their homes telling the story of how a busload of brown people were dropped off by Soros operatives in CP.

If they live here in CP then they should be used to seeing Indians. Parts of my neighborhood are predominantly of dot heritage.

As someone who works with more Indians than any other nationality, has regular conference calls with people in Bangalore/Mumbai, has an Indian best friend and spent several months there...I was confused why some of my Indian neighbors were very western-friendly while others would never even wave back.

I asked an Indian coworker and his response was another question:

Aditya: “Does grandma and grandpa live in those houses that don’t wave?”
Me: “Yep”
Aditya: “It’s another world in there dude”

I think about that a lot. I tend to get along with my Indian coworkers well because I collect Ganeshs, can crack jokes about the traffic there and interpret various head nods reasonably well...but didn’t consider that a third generation living with the family would have such a huge impact on cultural integration.

Indians are people like everyone else and one of the most diverse places/cultures/politics you’ll ever know. I’ve been all over Europe, lived in turkey for three years, spent a week in San Salvador, Penang, Bali, all over the Philippines, going to Thailand next year, along with the usual Mexico and Canada...but there is absolutely no place as varied and exotic as India.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

His radio ads advocate straight ticket Republican voting.  Don't think, just do what I say.

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

His radio ads advocate straight ticket Republican voting.  Don't think, just do what I say.

I've seen several Surly peeps advocate the same action for the Dems in various threads.  I even responded to one saying that straight ticket voting is lazy and dumb.  The drumbeats of the tribes are quite loud right now.

Is this thread limited to Texas early voting?

Early voting opened last Wednesday in Tennessee, and as of the close of business on Saturday, nearly 400K ballots had been cast, which is only slightly below a presidential election and destroys their previous midterm mark. 

• Like 1

If they live here in CP then they should be used to seeing Indians. Parts of my neighborhood are predominantly of dot heritage.

As someone who works with more Indians than any other nationality, has regular conference calls with people in Bangalore/Mumbai, has an Indian best friend and spent several months there...I was confused why some of my Indian neighbors were very western-friendly while others would never even wave back.

I asked an Indian coworker and his response was another question:

Aditya: “Does grandma and grandpa live in those houses that don’t wave?”
Me: “Yep”
Aditya: “It’s another world in there dude”

I think about that a lot. I tend to get along with my Indian coworkers well because I collect Ganeshs, can crack jokes about the traffic there and interpret various head nods reasonably well...but didn’t consider that a third generation living with the family would have such a huge impact on cultural integration.

Indians are people like everyone else and one of the most diverse places/cultures/politics you’ll ever know. I’ve been all over Europe, lived in turkey for three years, spent a week in San Salvador, Penang, Bali, all over the Philippines, going to Thailand next year, along with the usual Mexico and Canada...but there is absolutely no place as varied and exotic as India.

Don’t pick up the sitar George, or we will lose you completely.

14 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Long line at Randall’s at manchac and Ben White, long day of work plus some rain made me decide to come back later

Went there this morning. Had to use the men's room, but cops and ems had a guy in the restroom area common hallway on a stretcher.  They were not using the restrooms but still would not let me take care of business.  ended up using employee restroom.  Cop was pretty short with me. they could have easily blocked the common area hallway and not has any trouble.  Cops.  I guess I should be thankful I am still alive, but then again I am white and look like a construction guy so the odds were in my favor.

Report from the field.

th?id=OIP.9meJ9jVDbz7PwM2y_CmZDwHaEK&pid

Anyway, got in line and monitored my progress for 15-20 min and figured it would be 1:15 wait.  Plus guy in front of me smelled funny, so I left to try another time.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why were the cops and EMS there?  Standard in case a minority tries to vote and has to be shot on sight?

Not 100%  sure but looked like an old black guy, possibly homeless.  They were gone by the time I got back from the employee restroom. (about 5 min later).

Line was culturally diverse with a lean towards older.

If I had to guess using my Sherlock Holmes powers i would say, homeless guy was hanging out under the overhang to get out of the rain and was still high/drunk and a slight danger to himself and others. Nothing to see here. Its south Austin.