Gumby's is still open in San Marcus

billfromlaketravis

Buddy of mine visiting me in West Campus back in the mid 90s.  It's very late and we are hungry.  We called Gumby's they were no longer delivering but said they had some pizzas we could walk in and get....we made that walk.  Phone still ringing off the hook there, they let me and the buddy answer.  I think our line was "Gumby's what the fuck do you want?"  The actual help was baked out of their mind.  We ate pizza with them, it was good....cool starry bra.  

• Haha 1

For two years I lived a block away (along the alley next to Hardin House) so Gumby’s was a regular thing. Right before Christmas break in 1997 I gathered up all the coupons in an attempt to feed myself and roommates and friends for as cheap a possible. Most places don’t let you combine coupons, but the stoners at Gumby’s didn’t give a fuck. We got something like 1 XL, 2 L, 2 M and some other assorted shit for like $20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Ah....pokey sticks.  Nothing said "I'm too poor to even afford shitty pizza, and too drunk to care" like an order of pokey sticks.

We used to tip Gumby’s drivers with beers and/or bong rips in college.

I loved those damn things so much.  They were even better when you’d wake up about 4-5 hours after you had passed out and there were room temp leftovers that had just set up.  Dunked in Ken’s ranch, of course 

6 hours ago, midtown said:

Lived on gumbys my freshman year 89/90 at Jester...Wasn't the Gumby Dammit a large pepperoni?

I picked up the slack in the years following.  IIRC, the meal plans didn't feed you on Sunday nights, so there was always a steady stream of Gumby's deliveries that night.  Must have sucked to deliver pizzas for Gumby's to the dorms.  Doubt they ever got any tips.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

You shut your whorish mouth. 

It was never Grimaldis but relative to pizza in Austin for a drunk/high college student it was damn good. 

I actually did LOL right now. Grimaldi's is horrible as well. Remind me to never take pizza recommendations from you. 

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is the pizza comparable to Gattis?

Who knows?  We were all kids with very little money.  As 6th Street mentioned, The Daily Texan had coupons for $3.99.  Jester didn't serve food on Sunday nights.  Plus, growing up dirt poor and being on my own for the first time, the crust could have - literally - been made of cardboard and I would have gulped it down.  Gumby's was the best.

I wish Gumby's was in SM when I was in school there ('01-'04). Whenever I visited friends in Austin Gumby's usually entered the mix around 2am. We used to have Alvin Ord's delivered for lunch when hungover all the time. It's still my favorite sandwich place and has the best homemade ranch ever.

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

never did understand people who were picky about $4 pizza. 

The definition of simple-minded is someone who is unsophisticated, foolish or mentally impaired. An example of someone who would be described as simple-minded is a person who cannot understand or grasp a commonly understood concept and who is lacking in insight;)