New Bowl Game Coming in 2020: Myrtle Beach Bowl

Vic Mackey

Yay more bowl games! Brings the total up to 40.

CONWAY, S.C. (AP) — The Myrtle Beach Bowl is coming to South Carolina’s Grand Strand resort area in 2020, and will be shared by Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference and the Sun Belt.

The conferences and ESPN Events announced the new Myrtle Beach Bowl on Tuesday. The network will own, operate and televise the game.

The three conferences will participate in the game four times each between from 2020-25. The game will be played at Brooks Stadium, home of Coastal Carolina, located about 10 miles west of the beach and golf resort. Coastal Carolina is a member of the Sun Belt Conference.

The Myrtle Beach Bowl would bring the number of FBS bowl games to 40 if all the current bowls are still operating in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I'd rather watch Bowling Green vs Southern Miss than one more week of the Cowboys goatfucking their way to 7-9. 

But what about all the aggy fans that enjoy that activity..! There's always the Liberty Bowl, I guess...

maxresdefault.jpg

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
Yeah let's add 20 more!!

If you gambled in the surly bowl pick em... you'd learn to love all of the games. They all have strategic meaning.

Bowl games are awesome if you're a gambler.

Therefore, as long as the teams are at 6 wins, IDMAS IMO. 

Just now, Blanton said:

Bowl games are awesome if you're a gambler.

Therefore, as long as the teams are at 6 wins, IDMAS IMO. 

That's the issue. They already have had issues filling all the bowl spots with teams with at least 6 wins. And back in the day, 6 wins was the target when it was an 11 game schedule. Now 6 wins is just a mere .500.

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

From a viewer's perspective, why does it matter if they add more bowls?

A viewer or a fan?

A viewer: I suppose it doesn't either way

A fan: cheapens the product. I'm sorry, but there isn't a single person on Earth who could ever in their life successfully argue that having yet another game between two 6-6 teams somehow makes the sport better.

Edited by hpslugga

31 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

A viewer or a fan?

A fan: cheapens the product. I'm sorry, but there isn't a single person on Earth who could ever in their life successfully argue that having yet another game between two 6-6 teams somehow makes the sport better.

When was the last time a bowl meant something? That line was crossed a long time ago.

I've never understood people complaining about more bowl games... it's football. And it's kids playing football having a great time doing so with the travel, extra practices, gifts and freebies, some of them flying for the first time in their life, and the potential to win one more game (especially for seniors who are done).

Any bowl game, ANY, is more significant and better to watch than the cupcake games teams like Alabama in the SEC schedule this week (fucking Citadel).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

When was the last time a bowl meant something? That line was crossed a long time ago.

I don’t say that in terms of the bowl games, just the sport in general. In other words you can’t make the bowl games any better by expanding them, but expanding them definitely devalues the sport.

A viewer or a fan?
Then watch the bachelor.

57 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I don’t say that in terms of the bowl games, just the sport in general. In other words you can’t make the bowl games any better by expanding them, but expanding them definitely devalues the sport.

More random bowl games you don't seem to watch makes you care about college football less? You're a weird dude.

4 hours ago, hpslugga said:

A viewer or a fan?

You can always tell the gamblers from the non-gamblers in these threads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

I've never understood people complaining about more bowl games... it's football. And it's kids playing football having a great time doing so with the travel, extra practices, gifts and freebies, some of them flying for the first time in their life, and the potential to win one more game (especially for seniors who are done).

Any bowl game, ANY, is more significant and better to watch than the cupcake games teams like Alabama in the SEC schedule this week (fucking Citadel).

You are seriously overhyping these glorified scrimmages. "Kids playing football having a great time"? Does that now equate to quality? More football is not better. These games are no better than the junk they air on ESPN3 any given week. Do you watch all of those? Doubt it. So what makes it now quality because it's after the regular season?  Played in front of crowds you'd see at a middle school games in Texas. In 10 years, we might see every single team in FBS get a bowl game because you know, kids having a good time and all.

Keep adding pointless scrimmages but not expand the actual playoffs, the games that matter? Does not compute for me.

Bowl season is completely watered down with so many pointless matchups. Meanwhile, every other division of college football laughs at the bowl games while they have an actual legit playoff. Where every game means something and not just "kids having fun". They are actually playing for something other than these swag bags and gifts they hand out. It's like Texas High School football adding an extra playoff team per district. Everyone hates it. Why? Because the quality of the first rounds gets watered down. But for some reason college football fans thinks adding pointless scrimmages is a good thing. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Keep adding pointless scrimmages but not expand the actual playoffs, the games that matter? Does not compute for me.

I don't see these points as mutually exclusive. Expand the playoffs and add more bowls, I'm fine with both.

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Bowl season is completely watered down with so many pointless matchups. Meanwhile, every other division of college football laughs at the bowl games while they have an actual legit playoff. Where every game means something and not just "kids having fun". They are actually playing for something other than these swag bags and gifts they hand out. It's like Texas High School football adding an extra playoff team per district. Everyone hates it. Why? Because the quality of the first rounds gets watered down. But for some reason college football fans thinks adding pointless scrimmages is a good thing. 

Bowl games beyond the CFP are exhibitions. Nothing more, nothing less. Some, like the non-CFP NY6, still retain some prestige. Adding some fringe bowls won't affect that.

Maybe a couple decades ago it meant something to be in a bowl, but those days are long gone.

To be clear, I don't see it as a "good thing". I just don't give a fuck. 

What about a bowl that you can eat?

4d391e1078f34c271f5dbdc3d25c8c18.jpg

I used to be in the camp of thinking that all of additional now games were watering down what it meant to be “bowl eligible” especially when 5-7 teams are needed.

However I’ve since realized that more college football games (especially in mid to late December when we will soon be facing a desert of no CFB games for almost 8 loooonnnnggg months) is always a good thing. While I’m certainly not watching all of these bowls (especially lesser ones) the prospect of more bowl games increases the possibility of some that I will be interested in watching.

Don’t overthink this, folks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You are seriously overhyping these glorified scrimmages. "Kids playing football having a great time"? Does that now equate to quality? More football is not better. These games are no better than the junk they air on ESPN3 any given week.  Played in front of crowds you'd see at a middle school games in Texas. In 10 years, we might see every single team in FBS get a bowl game because you know, kids having a good time and all.

Bowl season is completely watered down with so many pointless matchups. Meanwhile, every other division of college football laughs at the bowl games while they have an actual legit playoff. Where every game means something and not just "kids having fun". 

Not only that, bowl games are not about “kids having fun.” They’re about businesses making fucking profits. That’s all it is and it’s asinine to assume otherwise.

Edited by hpslugga