Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

Telenko also has a thread on Putin "coup proofing" his regime:

While he’s had some good stuff, I’m iffy on him, given that he’s a proven and very open conspiracy nut (and not the fun conspiracies like JFK and UFOs, but much more crazier and contemporary ones). I don’t see the Russian Air Force presenting a threat though, because I doubt they have easy access to the kinds of munitions that could penetrate really deep bunkers under those buildings, plus there’s no guarantee that the senior leadership is in those buildings.  

And I still think Wagner is the tiger that Putin has by the tail and can’t let go of.  Wagner appears to run their aircraft through the Russian Air Force, so that seems hard to load them up with bunker busters.  And Wagner seems like they could get dudes inside the Kremlin.

I would even guess that much or the senior leadership is either outside of Moscow, or in more…nondescript buildings.

BUT Telenko’s talk about coups does raise this issue:  if I were worried about a coup and I wanted some heavy weaponry around, but didn’t want to raise suspicions, I would play up the attacks on Russian air bases deep inside Russia, and I would deploy AA guns that….could be used against ground targets.

Although if you are having to setup something to protect yourself against a coup, I’d say it’s too late and you better start purging right fucking now, rather than waiting to see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, Russia sending like 10 tanks to Ukraine is hardly going to matter. Especially since, as you said, there is 0% chance they are placed anywhere near the frontline. 

Maybe. But I wouldn't be astounded if they parked them all hub-to-hub in a field within HIMARS range, or even better, fed them one-by-one into a Javelin-infested city fight. To paraphrase Mencken, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of modern Russian generals.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, Russia sending like 10 tanks to Ukraine is hardly going to matter. Especially since, as you said, there is 0% chance they are placed anywhere near the frontline. 

Russia claims anti-armor systems make javelins, TOW, etc, fail to lock on.      Also claim new ceramic armor impenetrable-ish.    Also claim it is a stealth tank that defies radar.    I think they claim that the three man crews of the unmanned turret tank only bang Surly 11s as well.   Russia, so all true. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Russia claims anti-armor systems make javelins, TOW, etc, fail to lock on.      Also claim new ceramic armor impenetrable-ish.    Also claim it is a stealth tank that defies radar.    I think they claim that the three man crews of the unmanned turret tank only bang Surly 11s as well.   Russia, so all true. 

Eleven months ago, we woulda believed that mostly.  Not today.

• Hook 'Em 3

Man I hate to do this...
Germany = Texas.  Great place with a great brand and rich history. Wonderful people.  But they're leaving a good (or at least functional) alliance in lieu of a buncha inbred mouth-breathers.  And they'll soon regret it.  Everybody sees it but them.
ETA
I'd neg rep myself if I could.  My candor is not often welcome i know.
I personally fucking hate the SEC move. The whole thing, Football, Basketball and maybe most of all Baseball. Fuck SEC fans
Piggy And Ags especially. There is no glory even beating them..., and only animal abuse when they manage to win one.

Ohio kinda sucks excepting Cincy

Full report on the status of tanks:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-battle-over-tanks-for-kyiv-could-culminate-soon 

I had missed this:

A group of NATO nations, meeting in Estonia on Thursday, issued what it called the “Tallinn Pledge,” calling for Ukraine to receive modern tanks, among many other weapons.

“We commit to collectively pursuing delivery of an unprecedented set of donations including main battle tanks, heavy artillery, air defense, ammunition, and infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine’s defense,” according to the document signed by the defense ministers of Estonia, the United Kingdom, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania; and the representatives of Denmark, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and Slovakia. “This substantial assistance to Ukraine comes from our own national stocks, and resources illustrating the mutual understanding of the severity of the situation and our commitment to urgently increase and accelerate support for Ukraine.”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

“We commit to collectively pursuing delivery of an unprecedented set of donations including main battle tanks, heavy artillery, air defense, ammunition, and infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine’s defense,” according to the document signed by the defense ministers of Estonia, the United Kingdom, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania; and the representatives of Denmark, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and Slovakia. “This substantial assistance to Ukraine comes from our own national stocks, and resources illustrating the mutual understanding of the severity of the situation and our commitment to urgently increase and accelerate support for Ukraine.”

Here we are nearly a year in, and instead of support weakening, it's growing stronger by the day and supplies to Ukraine are picking up, Western arms factories are ramping up, Western militaries are clearing out their older inventories, which makes room for newer stuff, which is also picking up in production.

And in terms of the above about the chem/bio labs that Russia claimed, well Russia overran the border areas that they claimed those labs were in, and here we are 11 months in, and they haven't produced squat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

While he’s had some good stuff, I’m iffy on him, given that he’s a proven and very open conspiracy nut (and not the fun conspiracies like JFK and UFOs, but much more crazier and contemporary ones).

I agree which is why I don't quote him much.

But a good take is a good take and he's not the only one saying it.

17 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Full report on the status of tanks:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-battle-over-tanks-for-kyiv-could-culminate-soon 

I had missed this:

A group of NATO nations, meeting in Estonia on Thursday, issued what it called the “Tallinn Pledge,” calling for Ukraine to receive modern tanks, among many other weapons.

I was wondering at what point the French were going to start threatening to send LeClercs.  They aren’t ideal, but they are diesel, NATO round capable, and better than T-72s. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Somebody is fucking scared of losing.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/putin-ally-medvedev-warns-nuclear-074558491.html

"The defeat of a nuclear power in a conventional war may trigger a nuclear war," former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, who serves as deputy chairman of Putin's powerful security council, said in a post on Telegram.

"Nuclear powers have never lost major conflicts on which their fate depends," said Medvedev, who served as president from 2008 to 2012.

Putin's foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, told reporters in Minsk that Russia would do everything to ensure NATO and European Union leaders "sobered up" as soon as possible.

"I hope that the sobering up will come," Lavrov said. "We will do everything so that our colleagues from NATO and the European Union sober up as soon as possible."

Striking a similar tone at what he described as an anxious time for the country, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said in a sermon for Epiphany that trying to destroy Russia would mean the end of the world.

Russia fucking around off Hawaii

https://seapowermagazine.org/coast-guard-partners-tracking-russian-vessel-off-hawaiian-coast/

In recent weeks, the U.S. Coast Guard has continued to monitor a Russian vessel, believed to be an intelligence gathering ship, off the coast of the Hawaiian Islands, the Coast Guard 14th District said in a release. 
  
While foreign military vessels may transit freely through the U.S. economic exclusive zone (EEZ), as per customary international laws, foreign-flagged military vessels have often been observed operating and loitering within Coast Guard District Fourteen’s area of response. 

The Coast Guard continues to coordinate with Department of Defense partners, providing updates to foreign vessel movements and activities and to appropriately meet presence with presence to encourage international maritime norms.   
  
“The U.S. Coast Guard is currently monitoring the Russian vessel operating in the vicinity of Hawaii,” said Cmdr. Dave Milne, chief of External Affairs. “As part of our daily operations, we track all vessels in the Pacific area through surface and air assets and joint agency capabilities. The Coast Guard operates in accordance with international laws of the sea to ensure all nations can do the same without fear or contest. This is especially critical to secure freedom of movement and navigation throughout the Blue Pacific.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

Looking at the photos of the Kremlin putting AA stuff inside of Moscow proper (Pantsir, etc.)...in theory the missiles, assuming they are the upgraded ones, can accurately hit out to 20km or farther, which if they were able to properly engage at the longer ranges, they might clear Moscow proper, and maybe even some of the suburbs.  They are still basically point defense though, and arguably anything reaching Moscow means there's been a whole lot of air defense failures covering hundreds of kilometers, and they will most likely get within 20 miles of those missiles.

But the 30mm auto cannons that are also a part of the Pantsir (mounted on the turret and using some of the same fire control), as well as the standalone 30mm AA guns they've deployed, if they were to actually fire those off within Moscow at incoming drones or missiles, they are liable to kill more Moscow residents than any drone or missile that makes it that far.  Those things will just tear through any apartment buildings that are in the way.  

The 30mm auto cannons on the Pantsirs have 700 rounds of high-explosive, fragmentation, and armor-piercing with tracer (crew selects the type), and are good out to about 2.5 miles.   I would assume the stand-alone anti-air cannons have the same range.

For reference, you can see them here on a Pantsir:

1024px-Pantsir-S1_Weapon_System_with_rad

But you could definitely fuck up some tanks or APCs that were rolling towards the Kremlin with those AA guns, and possibly farther out than they can engage you, assuming you placed them correctly.  Those fuckers fire 2,500 rounds a minute, so you could empty the magazines into a group of tanks or APCs in less than 20 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe we should send them more gay parades, since that apparently freaks the Russians out.  

Or maybe we should send them parades full of gay people wielding lightsabers...

Think Tap Tap GIF by DraftKings

And yet we all saw video if them getting blown up while sucking each other's dicks. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Looking at the photos of the Kremlin putting AA stuff inside of Moscow proper (Pantsir, etc.)...in theory the missiles, assuming they are the upgraded ones, can accurately hit out to 20km or farther, which if they were able to properly engage at the longer ranges, they might clear Moscow proper, and maybe even some of the suburbs.  They are still basically point defense though, and arguably anything reaching Moscow means there's been a whole lot of air defense failures covering hundreds of kilometers, and they will most likely get within 20 miles of those missiles.

But the 30mm auto cannons that are also a part of the Pantsir (mounted on the turret and using some of the same fire control), as well as the standalone 30mm AA guns they've deployed, if they were to actually fire those off within Moscow at incoming drones or missiles, they are liable to kill more Moscow residents than any drone or missile that makes it that far.  Those things will just tear through any apartment buildings that are in the way.  

The 30mm auto cannons on the Pantsirs have 700 rounds of high-explosive, fragmentation, and armor-piercing with tracer (crew selects the type), and are good out to about 2.5 miles.   I would assume the stand-alone anti-air cannons have the same range.

For reference, you can see them here on a Pantsir:

1024px-Pantsir-S1_Weapon_System_with_rad

But you could definitely fuck up some tanks or APCs that were rolling towards the Kremlin with those AA guns, and possibly farther out than they can engage you, assuming you placed them correctly.  Those fuckers fire 2,500 rounds a minute, so you could empty the magazines into a group of tanks or APCs in less than 20 seconds.

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/p/30x165mm-cartridges.html

This guy's blog seems to indicate it is only effective against some tanks at <1000m from a pure perpendicular shot for the HEI rounds.  The AP rounds are effective against some spots on the old Bradleys/Marders and but the more recent ones should have nothing to worry about.   Is he right?

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, The Dog said:

My rich uncle always says, "The second million comes WAY easier than the first million."  Let's hope so.

ETA

Even before they got exposed as shitboxes, you could hardly call a Russian tank a "main battle tank."  They're a medium tank with a big gun.  Nothing wrong with that, but let's call them what they are.

Edited by Parliament
  • Haha 2

Read an article today quoting a Ukrainian official saying the decision on when this war stops rests with one person: Joe Biden.

Went on to say that the US has decided it’s in our strategic best interest to have this war drag on so that as many Russians die as possible. Obviously the flip side is that Ukrainians continue to die.

I tend to think that is correct. Cold blooded.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Read an article today quoting a Ukrainian official saying the decision on when this war stops rests with one person: Joe Biden.

Went on to say that the US has decided it’s in our strategic best interest to have this war drag on so that as many Russians die as possible. Obviously the flip side is that Ukrainians continue to die.

I tend to think that is correct. Cold blooded.

you think we could ramp up support and end this in the short term?  i don't.  i think the only way it ends favorably is if internal dissent gets loud enough in russia and there is no way that happens quickly.  it has to be accompanied by standard of living dropping because the economy is wrecked.  that has to fester.  that takes time, imo.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Here we go. New US announcement. 

If you have entirely too much time, or can listen to this in your car on the way home, it’s a really long but very informative video about all things 155 and other caliber ammunition as it relates to both sides in the war. 

Among the many fascinating things I learned was that we have a shit ton of 155 mm cluster ammunition that’s sitting around waiting to be decommissioned.   Now the world hates cluster ammunition because not all of the cluster fragments explode - leaving a future problem for civilians and animals when they step on them and they explode.    Russia is using that stuff now, btw.  

However, if Ukraine says you can use this on our Ukrainian territory and we will clean it up later, one solution to the human wave. Russian attacks is to cluster bomb the fuck out of those Orcs with those rounds.  They are marked off the U.S. books already.   Essentially free rounds that, while nasty critters, can grind hamburger as good as anything we can use against human waves.   

Fuck Russia.  They used them first while attacking a free sovereign nation for no good reason.    They FA and need to FO. 

• Hook 'Em 9

25 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lol at Russia.  "Hey guys, you know how we can improve our fortunes, let's get the United States Fucking Navy involved."

20210617-Russian-Navy_ComparisonUSRussia

Russia once lost a naval battle to a landlocked nation without a navy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lake_Baikal

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

you think we could ramp up support and end this in the short term?  i don't.  i think the only way it ends favorably is if internal dissent gets loud enough in russia and there is no way that happens quickly.  it has to be accompanied by standard of living dropping because the economy is wrecked.  that has to fester.  that takes time, imo.

If your hope for this ending is that Russians get tired of eating the shit sandwich, I’ve got some really bad news for you:

They’ve been eating the shit sandwich for hundreds of years. It’s the only thing they’ve ever eaten.

We could absolutely supply them with long range weaponry that would essentially render them incapable of supplying troops on the front lines.

It also seems like we could ensure they get the tanks and other close combat weapons they need to mop the floor with the poor souls left fighting on the front lines.

But most importantly, our calculation to let this drag out is hugely risky for CR reasons I’m not allowed to discuss here. American support for this war is going to end sooner than folks realize.

• Hook 'Em 4