Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Kim Jong Un receives red carpet welcome into Russia

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has arrived in Russia on his private train, where he is due to meet President Vladimir Putin.

Mr Kim left Pyongyang for Russia on Sunday, according to North Korea's state media.

He met Russian representatives at the border station of Khasan on Tuesday morning.

Footage shows him stepping onto a red carpet to be greeted by a Russian delegation as a brass band plays.

Click for video: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-66790366

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Are you confident that Russia will "accept" the Ukranian culture after it loses the war? I'm confident that it won't. What will change is that Russia will be forced to accept Ukranian culture until it is powerful enough relative to Ukraine to try again. So, dismantling Russian culture and then rebuilding it will eventually be necessary.

As far as I am concerned, they (Russians) will need to clean up their own culture internally before being welcome back into the world community, among other trade offs.  Giving them any sort of rolled back sanctions will not create an environment conducive to change.  In other words, they've made their bed, let them lie in it.  The subtitle to every book about Russia applies, "and then it got worse".  The general population of Russia has two choices as I see it, wallow in misery and poverty and become the new North Korea, or break from your cowardice, sacrifice, and other throw the despot(s).  

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Are you confident that Russia will "accept" the Ukranian culture after it loses the war? I'm confident that it won't. What will change is that Russia will be forced to accept Ukranian culture until it is powerful enough relative to Ukraine to try again. So, dismantling Russian culture and then rebuilding it will eventually be necessary.

Russia will accept Ukraine IF Putin is not in power, and somebody else is, and they make it a priority to do what's necessary for Russia to rejoin Europe (which will take years). That means reparations, that probably means goodwill gestures like reducing their military (including possibly nuclear stockpiles), and that means actually accepting that nobody is going to invade Russia from Europe (sorry Zeihan) because Russia has nukes, and therefore they don't need a chunk of their military. Europe/America is going to want some solid signs that Russia won't attack Ukraine again.

Or to put it another way: I think your typical Russian upper or middle-class citizen will happily accept Ukraine as a country, a people, a culture, if it means they can go back to importing the latest iPhone or vacationing in Italy or France.  Lower-class...they've been so conditioned, so beaten down by Russian leadership over the years, they will do whatever they are told, and nothing will change for them no matter how Ukraine is viewed.

I don't think Putin will survive Ukraine kicking Russia out, at least not in the long term.  I've said he would in the past, because he controls the secret police, the media, etc., but he has so thoroughly wrapped his identity around beating Ukraine and trying to be this tough macho leader and Russian Nationalist, that Ukraine kicking Russia out would leave him in a vulnerable position with two choices.

First option: He allows Russia to wallow in a North Korea-like state with all of the sanctions (I don't think they automatically go away if Russia leaves Ukraine voluntarily or involuntarily) and Russia being a third-world pariah state in the eyes of Europe and the rest of the world, and pretends everything is fine. All the while the oligarchs are probably plotting against him because he ruined their international travels and assets they had overseas, and the middle-class and upper-class Russians are fucking furious that he's ruined their trips to Europe, their bank accounts, their relatively cheap imports from IKEA or Apple or whoever, etc.

Second option: He admits he was wrong and that Russia will somehow make it up to Ukraine in a shot at rejoining the European community, but fat chance of that. He will never admit he was wrong in invading Ukraine in 2014 and 2022, which means the North Korea situation.

Of course, there's another option of making another run at Ukraine, but Russia will fare even worse if he tried it in a couple of years. In 2022-2023, Russia was able to draw upon a shitload of equipment/vehicles that were built during the last years of the Soviet Union, equipment that was still viable on an Eastern European battlefield, and they were able to draw upon a pool of ostensibly professional soldiers (officers/some NCOs) to form the core of their military. They've been reduced to pulling 60+ year-old equipment out of storage, they've lost thousands of officers, and probably tens of thousands of NCOs. You don't make that up in a few years, especially as Ukraine continues to up their military strength and training, and Ukraine will be a far different beast - there's a decent chance that Russia will not penetrate very deep into Ukraine in a future war.

Oh, and to beat the Zeihan demographics drum, every year from here on out will see a smaller pool of young military-aged men to draw from, no matter how much they change the standards.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

As far as I am concerned, they (Russians) will need to clean up their own culture internally before being welcome back into the world community, among other trade offs.  Giving them any sort of rolled back sanctions will not create an environment conducive to change.  In other words, they've made their bed, let them lie in it.  The subtitle to every book about Russia applies, "and then it got worse".  The general population of Russia has two choices as I see it, wallow in misery and poverty and become the new North Korea, or break from your cowardice, sacrifice, and other throw the despot(s).  

As sad as it is....I think I agree with @Brisketexan  I don't think every Russian is a bad person but the culture is rotten. Russia needs to cease to exist. The good ones can assimilate. The rest can EABOD and DIAF. It's lost. They are like aggy. They are who they've always been. It's all they know. It's all they can do. 

Edit to add...I dont think it is sad to agree with brisket....usually.....I think it is sad that what could have been a great culture never was and never will be. 

Edited by pops
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, pops said:

As sad as it is....I think I agree with @Brisketexan  I don't think every Russian is a bad person but the culture is rotten. Russia needs to cease to exist. The good ones can assimilate. The rest can EABOD and DIAF. It's lost. They are like aggy. They are who they've always been. It's all they know. It's all they can do. 

The dissolution of Russia would be great, and while a bunch of chaos in terms of getting the enriched fuel or nukes themselves a pain (I know the answer, buy as many as you can on the black market, not cheap, but beats the alternative), I'm hoping for that outcome.  Worth noting though, is that for the first time in Russian history, the direction of the country, or what is left to it, may well depend on what women do.  Many will be without husbands or partners.  What drive do they have for change, if any?  The conditions are right for women to have a big say so, and that could make a difference in how this all plays out.  If anyone is looking for some level of hopium on this front, that may well be it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Kilos are diesel electric

I just looked it up, for those interested, ssk=kilo class

https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/russia-submarine-capabilities/#:~:text=The Russian Navy commands one,integral to its strategic deterrent .

For any of the Navy posters, I have a question.  What was a submarine hunter doing in base in Crimea?  My understanding is that the kilo class operates for this express purpose.  Having it there against Ukraine makes little sense, why wouldn't it have been stationed in more secure waters?  I realize the base in Sevastopol is a major one, but they must have dry dock facilities on the Russian coast of the Black Sea?  

Anyway, before today, Russia apparently had 58 submarines in service, make it 57.  (37 of these are nuclear powered, 11 ballistic, now 20 diesel).  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

https://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/russia-submarine-capabilities/#:~:text=The Russian Navy commands one,integral to its strategic deterrent .

For any of the Navy posters, I have a question.  What was a submarine hunter doing in base in Crimea?  My understanding is that the kilo class operates for this express purpose.  Having it there against Ukraine makes little sense, why wouldn't it have been stationed in more secure waters?  I realize the base in Sevastopol is a major one, but they must have dry dock facilities on the Russian coast of the Black Sea?  

Anyway, before today, Russia apparently had 58 submarines in service, make it 57.  (37 of these are nuclear powered, 11 ballistic, now 20 diesel).  

@blacklab I know there are others but can't recall offhand 

43 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

The Brits had publicly disclosed that the Russians had probably moved their Kilo subs to Novorossiysk last year so I am curious about this as well. I’m not an expert on Russian capabilities at their various bases, they may have needed dry dock or other specialized stuff they didn’t have elsewhere and the boat might not have been in shape to transit out of the Black Sea to their other big dry docks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pictures are starting to surface. I'm going to break it into a couple of posts in case it crashes. Looks like at least the Ropucha is fucked, probably Kilo too. There were reports on Russian Telegram channels that both the Ropucha and Kilo were damaged, but they've been deleted. Geolocated images show both the Ropucha and Kilo on fire. 

First, the Ropucha.

image.thumb.png.5f328dd7ec3d295cf974d76113cda6b6.png

Bigger shot of the left image that shows the damage better. 

image.png.a9be4ac6417f060655529b7c1ef25433.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The russian Kilo class subs can fire cruise missiles from their torpedo tubes. They've been using their kilos extensively for fire support and naval interdiction as double duty

Edit: this is mostly due to Turkey closing the strait to warships, so Russia is stuck with whatever was already in the Black Sea. Hence, less than optimal uses for key strategic assets

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Quick hit on the North Korea meeting. First, it’s of course hugely embarrassing for VVP that the massive Russian Federation has to go begging to the worlds 118th economy, a reviled totalitarian Mordor, for weapons to extend a failing war.  Sanctions work. 

But VVP is always gonna try to make geopolitical lemonade and it’s important to note the promises of technical and intelligence cooperation Kim got. The standard Russian MOU is to manufacture or inject themselves into crises and then use their position to blackmail for their real interests elsewhere. So, what we can see from this is a signal from Putin that he’s willing to prod North Korea into even worse behavior and maybe he’ll do it if he doesn’t get what he wants. He may sort of be trying to exercise extended deterrence—“you don’t believe I’ll use my nukes, since I’ve proven I won’t. But maybe Kim will use his. He’s nuts and I’ll just encourage him.” 

Not so nuts enough to fly to Russia.

I guess you could get thrown out of a train window though 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pods said:

Pictures are starting to surface. I'm going to break it into a couple of posts in case it crashes. Looks like at least the Ropucha is fucked, probably Kilo too. There were reports on Russian Telegram channels that both the Ropucha and Kilo were damaged, but they've been deleted. Geolocated images show both the Ropucha and Kilo on fire. 

First, the Ropucha.

Bigger shot of the left image that shows the damage better. 

image.png.a9be4ac6417f060655529b7c1ef25433.png

That's the face of a guy that knows he's gonna be holding an AK in a shitty trench somewhere at the front by the weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1