Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Bear in mind my limited experience with drones was getting trained to fly them in Iraq in 2006, but it's hard for me to imagine a drone being both fast AND quiet enough to escape detection. 

Prepare for it.. this is going to get gnarly 

So I just watched the below interview with a retired admiral from the UK, and he does put forth an interesting theory about Putin.  To be clear, I don't find any more credible than any of us, because I don't see why an admiral would have any access to human or political intelligence, retired or otherwise.  His Naval intelligence is probably pretty sound, even if a bit dated.  

Anyway, his theory is that Putin really isn't in control at all, at least not anymore.  He believes that the group around Putin is actually in charge, in the form of Shoigu, Gerasmiov, the St. Petersburg Mafia group, and a cabal of FSB/GRU.  He points to a couple of things that I at least found plausible.  The first is that Putin is sick, and has been for some time.  The second thing he points to is the reaction towards Prigozhin and why it didn't come more immediately.  In essence, if Putin were truly in full control, Prigozhin would have been killed pretty much immediately.  Obviously, that didn't happen, and I presume his rationale is that the St. Petersberg group at least attempted to shield him, and eventually the military and Intel people won out and killed him.  The last part that makes sense is that this collective group props Putin up as a front man, each for their own nefarious means.   The military wants victory, the FSB sees this as a way to tighten their control, and the Mafia sees long term business opportunity in the form of energy and industrial asset seizing (and much more, no doubt). 

Lastly, he is of the belief that the next great front man of Russia would be Aleksey Dyumin, who is currently the Governor of Tula Oblast, just south of Moscow.  He's an old FSB/GRU guy that rose thru the ranks, and at one point was in charge of Putin's security, and later the chief of staff for ground forces during the Crimean invasion.  In other words, this guy fits the mold because he's in neck deep with pretty much the entire aforementioned cabal.  I find Dyumin to possibly be the successor to Putin as potentially more credible than anything else.    

Again, I'm not seeing anything overly credible with this theory, but there are at least plausible angles here.  If you skip to 21:20, that's where he starts in on this theory, assuming anyone has any interest.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We obviously already know this, but it's interesting research.

Japanese researchers have claimed two "Putin doubles"

Japanese experts in facial recognition and voice identification have concluded that the theory of Vladimir Putin's doubles, who replace him at public events, is gaining popularity. This information was published by the British tabloid The Sun.

By analyzing Putin's various speeches with the use of modern artificial intelligence technology, Japanese experts have concluded that the Russian president probably has at least two doubles.

One of the doubles was identified as the "real" Putin, who attended the Red Square parade in May 2023. After comparing the facial features of this Putin with the one who drove across the Crimean Bridge in a Mercedes car in December 2022, the Japanese experts found only 53% similarity.

An even smaller resemblance, just 40%, was found between the "parade Putin" and the president who visited Mariupol in March 2023. Videos on state television showed this Putin driving through the ruined city, touring the construction site of an apartment complex, talking to residents, and visiting what was said to be a three-room apartment while giving instructions to Deputy Prime Minister Marat Khusnullin.

The similarity between Putin's facial features in Mariupol and Putin on the Crimean Bridge was only 18%, according to Japanese researchers. Their artificial intelligence-based analysis "clearly indicates" the likelihood of at least two Putin doubles.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

We obviously already know this, but it's interesting research.

Japanese researchers have claimed two "Putin doubles"

Japanese experts in facial recognition and voice identification have concluded that the theory of Vladimir Putin's doubles, who replace him at public events, is gaining popularity. This information was published by the British tabloid The Sun.

By analyzing Putin's various speeches with the use of modern artificial intelligence technology, Japanese experts have concluded that the Russian president probably has at least two doubles.

One of the doubles was identified as the "real" Putin, who attended the Red Square parade in May 2023. After comparing the facial features of this Putin with the one who drove across the Crimean Bridge in a Mercedes car in December 2022, the Japanese experts found only 53% similarity.

An even smaller resemblance, just 40%, was found between the "parade Putin" and the president who visited Mariupol in March 2023. Videos on state television showed this Putin driving through the ruined city, touring the construction site of an apartment complex, talking to residents, and visiting what was said to be a three-room apartment while giving instructions to Deputy Prime Minister Marat Khusnullin.

The similarity between Putin's facial features in Mariupol and Putin on the Crimean Bridge was only 18%, according to Japanese researchers. Their artificial intelligence-based analysis "clearly indicates" the likelihood of at least two Putin doubles.

any word from the AI if they are all assholes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I think the russkies have decided that there's no such thing as a Pyrrhic victory. They're going to keep throwing everything they have at Avdiivka to take it, so they can show the folks at home that battles can be won.

We're at the point now where I'm starting to see "quantity has a quality all its own" having an effect.

• Hook 'Em 3

Welp, time to pack it up, boys. Ukraine is done for.

Shoigu reported that Russian air defense units shot down 37 Ukrainian planes - just a week after shooting the previous 24. He has already made calculations for destroying F-16s that aren't in Ukraine yet. Russian defense ministry has reported destroying all Ukrainian aircraft in the first week of war, by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I think the russkies have decided that there's no such thing as a Pyrrhic victory. They're going to keep throwing everything they have at Avdiivka to take it, so they can show the folks at home that battles can be won.

We're at the point now where I'm starting to see "quantity has a quality all its own" having an effect.

Putin's "election" is just over 4 months away, and the Russians don't seem to have anything else on this level spun up and ready to go in terms of offensives, or at least that they have a shot at pulling off before March.

This could easily be just as brutal as Bakhmut.  If you're a Russian in prison, there's probably a decent chance you're going to die in Avdiivka.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Making Sausage said:

44 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

first post, and so far only post.... by a "new" user decides this is the thread to post on first....  correctly figuring out how to embed the twitter story...

things that make you go hmmm

GRUhorn is learning not to post in the crypto thread AND the Ukraine war thread on the same sock accounts, I guess

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

first post, and so far only post.... by a "new" user decides this is the thread to post on first....  correctly figuring out how to embed the twitter story...

things that make you go hmmm

missed it. What were the posts? Want to see if we cannot see what they are posting on twitter as well. @MissingInAction and me are always up for some bonking of Vatniks. 

• Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Pm me with any of that cuntery so can abuse them with extreme prejudice.

30 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

missed it. What were the posts? Want to see if we cannot see what they are posting on twitter as well. @MissingInAction and me are always up for some bonking of Vatniks. 

y'all didnt miss anything, if you really want to see the post, it turns out Captain Ant quoted it like 6 posts above.

other than a slightly interesting possibly negative Time magazine title it was posted without comment.

but, its a perfectly embeded Twitter post.... I can only get that right like 50% of the time... so a first time poster dropping that was a reasonably obvious sign of chicanery

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1