Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

if they can hold Kyiv for 3-4 days there is no way Russia takes all the country. I think we see 1 or 2 good pushes by the Ruskies and then they say fuck it, lets level these places. Sarajevo/Grozny Doctrine 2.0

This. You're seeing it in Kharkiv today.  You'll see more of it.  But here's the thing....Putin thinks that's how he wins.

In reality, it's how he guarantees he loses.  In a world where images of every war crime are streamed to the world within minutes, that's how he loses. It's how he further galvanizes support against him.  It's how he puts himself at the top of the list of war criminals lined up for prosecution.  Even if Putin lives through this, he can never travel outside Russia to a non-vassal state again.

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So some early morning Monday thoughts on some of the developments in Europe as it has been a fairly astonishing weekend on that front.  Will look forward to @Shady Ray and his thought.

1.  German chancellor Scholz' announcement that Germany was going to spend 2 percent on defense starting like, NOW, is one of the more earthshattering pronouncements in European politics that I can remember.  Something else that got somewhat lost-- he also admitted that a nuclear deterrent is required to defend Europe. A SOCIAL DEMOCRAT said that.  This is something the Germans would quietly admit to us but would dance around with their public.  Do not take that to mean that Germany will build their own deterrent.  NATO is a nuclear alliance and even within the EU itself, France possesses a deterrent.  But what I would read into that is two things-- first, that we can now begin to discuss seriously a European defense policy funded mostly by Germany with France (and to a lesser extent German) firms becoming the big winners.  Second, NATO is not going anywhere for a long, long time.  It is highly unlikely that Europe would feel 'OK' with only France as their umbrella.  The other two big nuclear powers-- the Brits and us-- are not in the EU and all the other EU nations are signatories to the non-proliferation treaty.  That will not be broken.  So if this holds, what I think you will see is something that successive U.S. administrations have wanted for some time-- a Europe more capable of taking on responsibility for its defense conventionally but explicitly married to NATO and the U.S. as a strategic partner.  There will be some bumps along the way, for sure, but this is a positive development.  In the short to medium term, you will see more of the U.S. in Europe, particularly on the eastern flank, as those nations want our tech and our capabilities, which is something the EU minus Britain simply doesn't have right now.

2. I want to talk about what is happening to Putin's carefully curated network of influence and information warfare in Europe.  We are watching it get dismantled as I type this.  The EU announced that two sources of Russian state propaganda directed at the external world-- Russia Today (TV) and Sputnik (online/print)-- are now not allowed to operate within the EU.  At the state level, governments are beginning to unplug the network of daughter and cousin outlets that serve as amplifiers for those outlets-- I mentioned that the Czech Republic, for instance, killed twenty-two of them.  In Slovakia, the national authorities are announcing that spreading support for the war and Putin's propaganda will be criminalized under the same statutes that made it illegal to praise or support Nazism or the Soviet Union after 1989-- they were written to outlet the "advocation of totalitarian regimes."  On the financial and economic front, the sanctions are sweeping and unlike previous rounds, every indication is that a key difference will be in enforcement-- states will look to enforce and sanctioned entities will have to struggle to find workarounds. In previous versions, the states put them on the books but for the most part tried to apply them as liberally as possible.  The EU is closing itself to Russian airplanes.  Massive companies like BP are getting out AHEAD of sanctions by divesting in Russian holdings because they understand the headwinds of public opinion and potential legal actions against them.  Look for Russian companies to be excluded from upcoming nuclear tenders in the EU space, where believe it or not ROSATOM was a favored partner for new plants. Putin's "friends" in the EU are now on the total defensive and making their arguments quietly because they don't dare to speak up publicly. I could go on and on about this but the bottom line is that Russia has turned itself into a pariah state that for the time being has defenders kind of like Venezuela or Iran have defenders. They exist but are going to keep their heads down for a long time. 

This is important especially because as the world came out of COVID, it wasn't just the United States that had irresponsible populism gaining ground. Putin and Russia have blown their chance at influencing those movements openly and the movements themselves will have to do a huge tap dance around the "Russia" question. 

3. On the flip side, Putin did something no U.S. president since GHWB during Desert Storm has managed to do-- turn the United States into the good guys.  With almost every single warning from the U.S. proving accurate and with the U.S. speaking clearly and with sober restraint about what we can do to stop it, U.S. leadership in Europe is looking pretty damn good for the time being.  Some of the signs about this are in how the EU is acting-- all of these earthshattering moves, some of them outrunning the pace of the United States, are coming without any recent from the United States urging them to do it  It's just happening.  It is a good sign when an Alliance leader doesn't have to poke and prod recalcitrant members to do stuff.  This is a tremendous window of opportunity and we need to behave with what I would call "firm restraint." We need to decide what is core for us and not budge, we need to let Europeans get to the decisions we want them to make on their own, and we need to not push our gains to the point that we look craven and opportunistic.  It's basically all on us now. 

I could keep going but I don't want too go more longcat here in a thread that moves so rapidly.  And the situation changes hourly.  Slava Ukraini!

Fantastic post.  Everyone should read it.

18 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Good reminder that even though everyone here is team #Ukraine and wish nothing but chaos amongst the Russian army and government, these Russian soldiers are also brothers, fathers, sons, etc.  Many of them probably 20-30 years old, and not only have been lied to in regards to what they are doing in Ukraine, but pretty much their whole lives what role Russia plays in the world.  I'd say there is pretty good evidence at this point that a lot of the forces sent in thought they were coming to free oppressed people which is why you see Russian soldiers allowing citizens to approach them, asking for fuel, joking about tanks running out of gas, abandoning vehicles etc.

War is hideous, awful, and tragic.  I would like every Russian son, father, and brother, to go home safely to their families.  The only way to do that is to lay down your arms and refuse to prosecute an insane and evil war.  Until then, may death be their fate.  When the Russian people realize their sons, fathers, and brothers are being used as cannon fodder in Murderous Shitstain Putin's insane war, they should take action to stop it.  The Russian people can save their sons, fathers, and brothers.  Because the people of Ukraine most certainly will not save them. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Glad to see Ukrainians abroad doing what I suggested a while back.  Take the pain to the oligarchs.  Destroy their stuff, wherever it can be found.  Give the oligarchs incentive to force regime change.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

I think Putin fundamentally misunderstood shock & awe then.  The goals are not to put on a parade display for the media and/or general public. It’s designed to be a coordinated and overwhelming crush on military capability that paralyzes military and gov’t leadership. You take so many pieces off the board all at once that you destroy every level of response that their defense can muster.  In Iraq we put a missile in every AA system, comms unit, ammo dump, emplaced armor, and plane on the ground, almost simultaneously. You saturate their leadership in information and force paralysis through analysis so they are incapable of responding in any coordinated way. We didn’t roll armor into Baghdad in 2 days, but they arrived largely intact because there was no coordinated capability to stop them or reduce their fighting capability. To summarize in gif form:

image.gif

Exactly. 

The parade adjatiave is pretty apt here.

Shock and awe is supposed to be like some apocalyptic alien attack movie where people don’t even know what the fuck happened. “Are we at war??? is an asteroid hitting the earth?? wtf?!?!” 

the reality was that Poo could only show numbers since those numbers practically mean nothing. 

Just now, Doc Reeves said:

Exactly. 

The parade adjatiave is pretty apt here.

Shock and awe is supposed to be like some apocalyptic alien attack movie where people don’t even know what the fuck happened. “Are we at war??? is an asteroid hitting the earth?? wtf?!?!” 

the reality was that Poo could only show numbers since those numbers practically mean nothing. 

The helo drops in broad daylight is what made me think it was more parade and less S&A. “Sergei, dump flares while we do slow circles.  That always gets a smirk from the general.”

I can’t imagine the pilots briefs for this shit.  They either knew they were going into death traps, or again, they fully drank the koolaid. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Glad to see Ukrainians abroad doing what I suggested a while back.  Take the pain to the oligarchs.  Destroy their stuff, wherever it can be found.  Give the oligarchs incentive to force regime change.

So I think in normal cases the boat owner would just get a check from the insurance company so who cares. Do any of the financial sanctions help keep this from happening?

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I still like your posts. Never mind the reverse bigotry you’re rocking but whatever. I consider this site like my family so perhaps I overshare but IDGAF.  Covid and a shitty marriage nearly crushed me so if I enjoy this space it’s my deal. 

outside of that I feel like the vast majority of my posts on this thread have been good ones and on point. Have yours? or are  you so pathetically resigned to your petty hatred of me you’d rather miss out on being my friend? Your choice.

ukranian drone just took out a Russian system cool according to BBC.

Fuck the haters and Karens

• Fuck You 4

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Here in 2022, if a single Russian pilot or somebody in charge of an artillery battery or somebody in a tank or whatever fucks around and half-asses something either because they don't want to kill Ukrainians, or they themselves are scared of being killed, that pilot or soldier would probably be removed from duty and given the Russian version of a court martial (aka shot maybe?). They definitely would have been shot in WWII.  A commanding officer might have done it and bragged about it up the chain of command to get a pat on the head.

But if you have two or more pilots or multiple tanks or whatever half-assing things things because they don't want to kill Ukrainians or they are scared, then the commanding officer is in a world of shit, and at some point that commanding officer may decide to just ignore what's going on, because if he starts having to discipline multiple pilots or soldiers, somebody above him may notice and blame him for the environment.  Ye Old "if the guy on your left is an asshole, he's an asshole, but if the guy on your left and the guy on your right and the guy in front of you are assholes, then you're the asshole" theory.

I believe it’s known as Given’s Razor, from Justified:

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Here's the thing:  The invasion force that Putin assembled here in 2022 could have taken Ukraine in 2008 or 2014, as it would have been enough for when he invaded Georgia and Crimea.  We had a combined force of nearly a million troops in 1991 when we took on Iraq, a country smaller/less populated than Ukraine.  We had a combined force of 250,000+ when we took on Iraq in 2003, even though they were a shadow of themselves militarily, and that 250,000+ was ultimately not enough to pacify the country and we paid a price for it.

the moral of the story? if you are going in to invade a country, go big or go home.

plus use your air superiority to take down any competition in the air and then bomb every other strategic target to dust. then use your troops.

basically they have fucked up the invasion every was possible, exposed their military as a fraud, brought the EU together, taken a flamethrower to their economy, got GERMANY to spend 2% of their GDP on defense, push countries historically on the fence about joining NATO to potentially start the process and all of this while being led by a 70 year old who has no clear successor.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй