Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

the semiconductor fab situation has been know for 15 years+.  It started in earnest after the crash in 2000.

Yes, I'm aware.  I'm an electrical engineer that worked in semiconductors for about 15 years at Eaton, Teradyne, Motorola, and AMD.  One of my responsibilities for a time was moving wafer fabrication tools from the US to various points abroad.

But until recently companies still didn't understand the full risks associated with allowing all of that manufacturing to move overseas.  Now it's become much more clear.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Yes, I'm aware.  I'm an electrical engineer that worked in semiconductors for about 15 years at Eaton, Teradyne, Motorola, and AMD.  One of my responsibilities for a time was moving wafer fabrication tools from the US to various points abroad.

But until recently companies still didn't understand the full risks associated with allowing all of that manufacturing to move overseas.  Now it's become much more clear.

As a wee lad during my summers between semesters at college I worked as a pipe fitter for AMD.  Those fab plants are insane.  I felt like I was in the belly of the death star.  Understandable just how difficult it would be to just "move" these plants.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, when I get a sec, I’ll post the pic of the Russian chicks doing their duck faces in front of the Mona Lisa for 100 different pics. We couldn’t stop laughing at them.

1a7d16a17a2c3a10e164da31002c88fe.jpg
cf216689dde93df44328385750be59ed.jpg

Damn girl. How you going to sport a fake LV bag without a proper fucking iphone. Also, has blond chicks nose seen some live action or is she just a MMA/boxer?

Oh, whats that?  Shes just a Russia woman so she’s taken a few punches in her time? 

ok, makes sense. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Let's hope our farmers are going balls to the wall.

We can only cover so much when 2 of the top 10 exporters are killing each other. Not to mention it isn't just a matter of producing the food but setting up the supply chains so that food actually gets to hungry people. Excess food doesn't do any good if sits rotting in ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The amateur traveler believes that Americans are the ugliest abroad, the semi-pro thinks it’s Russians or Chinese, and the pro knows it’s the English at any destination the working class can afford a ticket to. 

This is very accurate.  Pity the Spanish, who have to tolerate months and months of drunken working-class English tourists.

But when you get to places where the English working class can't travel, they'll all tell you it's the Russians.  People who work in the hospitality industry might occasionally name the Chinese.  But Russians will overwhelmingly win the vote.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It is. A rep of the admin was on NPR this morning talking about how the focus is on food aid, and that western countries are urging parties not to supply arms or foment armed resistance against the Taliban for now, to allow for needed aid to be distributed.

This decade is shaping up to be delightful. Only 8 more years to go….

That’s funny that you actually think we will make it 8 more years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I do wonder how big of an issue that will be. The Russian strategy is aimed at cities. There’s a lot of countryside that’s not involved in combat much. And farmers gotta try to earn a living. I suspect most will plant this year. Some may not, but most will.

IDK.  They won’t have access to commodity markets, which mean they’ll have to sell through Russian markets, via the kleptocracy, to sympathetic nations.  I think there’s going to be a mass disruption in grain and cereal supplies for at least the next year or two. 

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

The DoD transitioned to Risk Management Framework for Cyber 4 or 5 years ago, sounds like it’s based on the same NIST/CNNSI guidance. My program was in the first block of systems to switch over from DIACAP.  They gave us a 12 month timeline and it took almost 2 years to get our ATO. It was and is a nightmare on the DoD side to implement because of the diversity of systems and the gov’ts need to apply templates and standards which doesn’t fit everybody. One of the key parts of the NIST framework is tailoring controls, which of course the DoD wouldn’t allow.

RMF is pretty straight forward on the enterprise side, standard users on standard networks. On the tactical side things get squirrely fast. Our system was a command and control suite that flew around in the back of a Blackhawk, but got on the colored networks through comsat links.  Big army decreed anyone touching SIPR was immediately a high, high, med system. That meant we had untailored HHM controls applied to an ad hoc system, in a helicopter, in a tactical environment. Super fun. 

Controls are how you fix or mitigate a vulnerability, and they cover everything. Policy, physical security, logistics, auditing, budget, personnel, technical, etc.  IIRC our system had 1200ish controls, and within a control there can be up to 15 tasks.  Tailoring controls removes any that obviously don’t fit that system. You can’t remove it because it’s hard or you want to speed things up, but if a control says “the building will have a fire suppression system that activates within x seconds” and your system isn’t in a building, obviously you can tailor that out. That’s how it’s supposed to work, but again, DoD didn’t want systems purging controls that were hard and the volume of systems didn’t allow any real visibility from the top to approve/deny tailoring, so they just threw out the tailoring step entirely.  So back to the Blackhawk example, yep, I had to mitigate why my system didn’t have a fire suppression in the building that is a Blackhawk in my Plan of Actions & Milestones (POAM), which gets reviewed and updated quarterly.

One of the biggest strengths of RMF is closing all the “someone else is responsible for that control” loopholes that plagued DIACAP, and cybersecurity as a whole. On tactical systems we would say that a higher NOC did a bunch of stuff, and that the owning tactical unit was responsible for all the user level stuff, and wipe our hands of it even though we knew units rarely enforced passwords properly, or patched AV on schedule, etc. Now you have to show your work. If someone inherits a control, it flows up or down to their system and gets rolled into their evaluation as well. So if the unit gets evaluated and isn’t doing X controls, they fail, and that failure flows into your system and can trigger a failure for you as well. That’s the academic version of how it’s supposed to be. In reality the Army has realized it’s just too big and hard on the tactical side so there is a lot of leeway being given to systems and vulnerabilities are being left open because of budget (fix this new vuln now, but your budget was already set for the next 5 years and can’t be changed, good luck), or lack of oversight on the hundreds of potential systems, and thousands of implantations at the unit level. The elephant in the room is also on the logistics side.  Supply chain protection is a massive part of RMF, and practically impossible to achieve with foreign manufacturing, JIT logistics, and now Covid impacts to the supply chain.

I took the long way around to get to this question (for the NERC guys, shady just provided a convenient roll up). Is the NERC implementation pretty tight top to bottom, or do you have similar issues? I would think it’s much more standard wrt the network side (all one color network, pretty standard enterprise guidance, etc), but all the local control/access still leaves some big holes (giggity) to be exploited. Sloppy admin rights or password policies leads to elevated rights, which leads to attack vector, which leads to yada yada.  

I used to work in this space as well and the reality at that time was that having to change comms crypto keys once a day was too much burden for some of the tactical units especially with older devices that could not switch over automatically (No seriously, I need you to switch the key at 1200Z not come in a 1115Z and have everything down for 45 min before the rest of the network updates so you can go to lunch early.)

Getting the patches pushed to the units involved sending CR-ROM or for hard to manage cases physical drives through the secure mail or courier network. Then get on the phone and call each unit to make sure they were using the right version or wait till they called you (best case) where you could ask if they were on the right patch.  More typically they might stay on the old versions because they were too lazy to do the update or switching drives meant losing their settings and worst case was just shutting it off until someone asked what happened to the XYZ system, We need to know what is happening here.

The poll of the Russian public is not surprising. It’s becoming very clear that disinformation campaigns are the number one threat to a decently functioning society, even more so than tanks rolling across the terrain.

We now have too many examples to count (American politics, Russia, China and North Korea…) of huge populations of people with no grasp of reality. Without that, you can’t solve any problem.

Ultimately it’s always the people who have to have had enough to demand change. If they are misinformed, they won’t demand it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Albania, Moldova, Myanmar and serbia all voted yes... holy shit.

Expect any candidate state to start lining up behind the EU reluctantly.  The Europeans have laid down a marker to them. Things have completely changed. 

Albania is our BFF, seriously. They love us there and will almost always come through on these things.  Kosovo War gratitude is magic. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is very accurate.  Pity the Spanish, who have to tolerate months and months of drunken working-class English tourists.

But when you get to places where the English working class can't travel, they'll all tell you it's the Russians.  People who work in the hospitality industry might occasionally name the Chinese.  But Russians will overwhelmingly win the vote.

Once you get used to the Chinese traveling in huge groups, you learn to work around/avoid. When some Russians show up, you have to just pack up and leave. With Germans, their utter lack of respect for personal space drives me insane. 

If you find Australians, stay close and they’ll take you to the party.

Totally agree about the English. Just the wooooorst.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh agree the customers and govt didn't understand the risks.  the semi guys did but couldn't ignore the cost benefits.  China creating SMIC and stealing IP from TSMC/US  was big though.  IBM deciding it basically wasn't worth it anymore was problem.  the advent of non-IDM fabs did allow for some massive new innovation benefit but the pendulum swung too far after 2000(went to warp speed after 2008).  The only way to get venture capital money was to tell the investors you were outsourcing everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting that Cuba is only "abstaining".  Eritrea can get fucked.  Wherever the fuck that is.

Lots of the abstaining countries are going to be looking at Russia for grain or have been selling raw materials to Russia for decades. 

no massive surprises to me.

Edited by Laxtonto
Good point on the Indian military equipment Bates..

14 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

At least North Korea, et. al have the gumption to vote against. Thirty-four fence sitters is ridiculous. You want to side with Russia on this? Then do it so we know where everyone stands. Don't "abstain"

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

India I would like to hear their reasoning, but all in all, no massive surprises to me.

India is between a rock and a hard place.

Much of their weapons/parts come from Russia as well as partnerships with other projects.  They have China on one side, and Pak on the other so their security needs are high.

They of course work with the West, but also try to maintain some level of strategic independence...so basically they are on the sidelines unless it directly impacts them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

IDK.  They won’t have access to commodity markets, which mean they’ll have to sell through Russian markets, via the kleptocracy, to sympathetic nations.  I think there’s going to be a mass disruption in grain and cereal supplies for at least the next year or two. 

Well the 2010 crop failure in Russia/Ukraine helped spark the Arab Spring. I will note that Russia had been actively limiting exports all fall and winter, and on a grain basis while South America had struggled with soybeans this year, the corn behind beans has the weather set up as of right now to be massive, which would more than offset Ukraine. The spring wheat areas in the Dakota's and Canada are looking like they could bounce back big this year to off of a bad year. I'll note we blew out N/U spreads in wheat out over a buck today, and N/N a buck fifty at times, which indicates we maybe feeling a little better on the back end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Once you get used to the Chinese traveling in huge groups, you learn to work around/avoid. When some Russians show up, you have to just pack up and leave. With Germans, their utter lack of respect for personal space drives me insane. 

If you find Australians, stay close and they’ll take you to the party.

Totally agree about the English. Just the wooooorst.

It was a long time ago (1990), but the fucking EYEtalians in Greece (specifically the young dudes), were the worst.  Bar none.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

India is between a rock and a hard place.

Much of their weapons/parts come from Russia as well as partnerships with other projects.  They have China on one side, and Pak on the other so their security needs are high.

They of course work with the West, but also try to maintain some level of strategic independence...so basically they are on the sidelines unless it directly impacts them.  

won't someone think of the call centers?????

3 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Well the 2010 crop failure in Russia/Ukraine helped spark the Arab Spring. I will note that Russia had been actively limiting exports all fall and winter, and on a grain basis while South America had struggled with soybeans this year, the corn behind beans has the weather set up as of right now to be massive, which would more than offset Ukraine. The spring wheat areas in the Dakota's and Canada are looking like they could bounce back big this year to off of a bad year. I'll note we blew out N/U spreads in wheat out over a buck today, and N/N a buck fifty at times, which indicates we maybe feeling a little better on the back end. 

lesnessman.jpg?resize=320,240

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SamsCorner said:

Visited Prague in 2018 and the English were the worst.  Proper wankers. 

I was in Egypt in December.  Stayed at a resort for a few days that turned out to be mostly filled with Russians.  They went crazy for the most bizarre entertainment, mainly a show involving placing a chair over some super muscular guy and then piling tons of people on top of the chair hoping it doesn't break.  And many got shitfaced and belligerent with hotel staff.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

At least North Korea, et. al have the gumption to vote against. Thirty-four fence sitters is ridiculous. You want to side with Russia on this? Then do it so we know where everyone stands. Don't "abstain"

Some of those countries, like Mali and Kazakhstan have Russian troops/Wagnerovtsy/political technicians in them. They likely regret it now but it’s not really up to them how they vote. 

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Abstaining is voting with the Russians, in my book.  They just made the list.

• Hook 'Em 5