we're going the sugar bowl

blacklab

19 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I used to make this trip fairly frequently. Depending on what's going on around the Atchafalaya bridge it may be more advantageous to roll through Lafayette/Houma than through Baton Rouge. It's a bit longer in terms of mileage, but bottlenecks are a concern on that bridge as there's a good bit of mileage where there are no exits available. That being said, there are no hard and fast rules, so check and decide as you're approaching I-10 coming down I-49. 

Yeah, but those alligator men walking along the side of the road near Morgan City freak me the fuck out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Yeah, but those alligator men walking along the side of the road near Morgan City freak me the fuck out. 

I once took the coastal route from Houston to NOLA 'cause I had time to kill -- via Port Arthur, Cameron, Holly Beach, Grand Chenier, etc. I thought I was gonna stumble on some amazing restaurant and it would all be worth the lower speed limit. Nope. That ferry ride in Cameron is fucking horrible. All I found on the highway was Hunt Bros Pizza. I barely saw any people, but literally an actual alligator crossed the road right in front of me. There is pretty much nothing on that road between the Sabine and Abbeville. 

• Like 1

Ticket prices are going up - as I predicted they would a few days ago. Guessing UGA fans are deciding whether they will go or not right now. 

If you haven't bought already might be better to weather the storm and try and snag something closer to kickoff.

I’ve gotta believe there will be a significant drop. Even the Michigan Rose Bowl ended up being cheap day of. I won’t scalp at the stadium but I can’t imagine this being a premium ticket price on 12/30. That’s my bet anyway. We have a place to stay and I’ll focus on tickets 3 days out.

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

in most cases i'd disagree with having anyone on ignore but that there was a flat fucking stupid take.  i'm thinking about ignoring him myself now.

My take is that it's a fun tourist destination with great food and history. I'm hesitant to claim it as a "great city" considering it has massive socioeconomic issues. 

It's fine if you disagree. That doesn't make me an idiot. I have been there multiple times.

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

My take is that it's a fun tourist destination with great food and history. I'm hesitant to claim it as a "great city" considering it has massive socioeconomic issues. 

It's fine if you disagree. That doesn't make me an idiot. I have been there multiple times.

Yeah the little kids by themselves on Bourbon street drumming and begging for money in the middle of the night was kind of a bummer last time I went. Never noticed how sad that is the other times I have been as a young'in.

Edited by Zavala

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don’t really think his take was intended as social commentary. Your mileage may vary. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't want to threadjack but I am curious about your definition of a great city, then, if great food/culture/history can't get you there. No CR, but if huge socioeconomic issues are a disqualifying attribute, America has zero great cities. 

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't want to threadjack but I am curious about your definition of a great city, then, if great food/culture/history can't get you there. No CR, but if huge socioeconomic issues are a disqualifying attribute, America has zero great cities. 

It is great in those regards. Other things about it are not so great. I would not want to live there.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You’re curious about that guys take on something, huh? Maybe take a lap.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its pathetic how thousands of people go there every year and very few make it off bourbon street/out of the french quarter

Are you one of the brave souls that go outside of the French Quarter?  I'm curious how many times all of the "greatest city" crowds have been to New Orleans.  I go to NOLA all of the time.  I have coworkers that live there.  They let me know which areas are safe to be in after dark.  Louisiana in general is a very poor state that seems stuck in the 1900s.  New Orleans after Katrina has never recovered and large portions still look like a war zone.  

Downtown is historic and can be a nice experience.  The north side near Ponchatrain is pretty nice too.  The rest of NOLA is disgusting at best and dangerous at worst.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You’re curious about that guys take on something, huh? Maybe take a lap.

Don't know who or if ztejas & Zavala were on the old site, but they're the Mario & Luigi of completely idiotic opinions on here. It's incredible how stupid they are. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jinx said:

Are you one of the brave souls that go outside of the French Quarter?  I'm curious how many times all of the "greatest city" crowds have been to New Orleans.  I go to NOLA all of the time.  I have coworkers that live there.  They let me know which areas are safe to be in after dark.  Louisiana in general is a very poor state that seems stuck in the 1900s.  New Orleans after Katrina has never recovered and large portions still look like a war zone.  

Downtown is historic and can be a nice experience.  The north side near Ponchatrain is pretty nice too.  The rest of NOLA is disgusting at best and dangerous at worst.  

Lol wut?

9 minutes ago, jinx said:

I go to NOLA all of the time.  I have coworkers that live there.  They let me know which areas are safe to be in after dark.  

You are full of shit or a total fucking dumb ass if you go there all the time and need someone to tell you which areas are safe after dark.  JFC.  Why don't you ask your husband next time where you should go?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On a weekend one can have a good time walking generally from frenchmen -> Mimi's -> Saturn bar -> and back to the hi-ho lounge.  Good street food and bars with DJs and what not.  I love that city.  Every time I'm there I feel like I'm only scratching the surface.  F&M got pretty wild back in the college days too.  So many other areas to get lost in and have a good time I just can't remember.  To do NOLA right you have to pace yourself and be prepared to stay out all night.  It's also super cool during the daytime with the museums, more food, concerts everywhere.  I try to go once or twice a year.

Edited by MFEU93MK9S8IW6K6FV0X

I've traveled to Nawlins many times before Katrina. We used to go for the Jazzfest. The last time I visited, I saw three sunrises in one weekend. I miss Nawlins. You should not take your hill-country prejudices with you to NOLA. The SugarBowl is not the Rose or State Farm Stadium in

Glendale.  I remember being in Hollywood  after beating that Trojan ass, what a lame ass scene. If in Nalwin after we beat down the uninterested Bulldogs. Brother, it’s mother fucking going to be on.

37 minutes ago, MFEU93MK9S8IW6K6FV0X said:

On a weekend one can have a good time walking generally from frenchmen -> Mimi's -> Saturn bar -> and back to the hi-ho lounge.  Good street food and bars with DJs and what not.  I love that city.  Every time I'm there I feel like I'm only scratching the surface.  F&M got pretty wild back in the college days too.  So many other areas to get lost in and have a good time I just can't remember.  To do NOLA right you have to pace yourself and be prepared to stay out all night.  It's also super cool during the daytime with the museums, more food, concerts everywhere.  I try to go once or twice a year.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Do you even Garden District/Uptown bro?

Yep. I have in-laws in Uptown and both sets of my grandparents lived in or near NO at various times in their lives/my life. There’s plenty good and plenty bad about it.

I also wouldn’t want to live their, but there are plenty of great places to go that are safe.