we're going the sugar bowl

blacklab

(From Anwar OB)

Texas sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger addressed the media earlier this week. Here is what he said during that interview:

--- Ehlinger described Georgia’s defense as extremely talented. In addition, he said, “They sign top recruits every year. Coach [Kirby] Smart has done a good job of creating a winning culture there. Obviously, they’ve competed with some of the best teams in the nation. They are one of the best teams in the nation. I think they’re big and physical up front. They move well in the back end, and they’re very talented all over the place.”

--- Ehlinger said it took a little longer than usual to get over the loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game: “Every loss sucks. Obviously, getting that far, making it to our goal, but not being able to finish stings a little bit. As much of competitors as we are, we need to take a step and realize what we did this year when the past couple of years, no one would have ever mentioned our name in that contention.”

--- When asked about his shoulder, Ehlinger said it feels great. He said the AC joint is as close to 100 percent as it has ever been. Now, it is just a matter of getting muscles that were overcompensating for the injury back to 100 percent.

--- Ehlinger said nobody cares in the building cares about being labeled an underdog. He said whenever Texas plays its best, his team has a chance against anybody.

--- Ehlinger on his reflections since Oklahoma: “I think a good amount. I think when you have time off like that, you’re able to kind of reflect because you’re not as busy, you’re not as focused on preparing for a team, or anything like that. So, you get to take a step back and realize some of the things you’ve improved on. I looked at some of our offensive statistics comparatively to 2017, and in almost every category, we improved. Obviously, in winning, we improved. It’s just a lot of positive things. We all want to win. Everybody wants to win, but it’s sometimes good to take a step back and realize you’re heading in the right direction. It implies more confidence in your program and yourself to know all the hard work we’re putting in is taking us in the right direction.”

--- Ehlinger said the team is not using the loss against Oklahoma as fuel. Instead, the Longhorns view it as they had opportunities, but hurt themselves. The team’s main goal is preparing to play against Georgia.

--- Ehlinger on what a win against Georgia would mean for the program: “It would be great. Obviously, they are one of the top teams in the country. If we’re able to win, that would be incredible for us as a team, just knowing that we put in so much work together, and give us great motivation going into next year, and understanding that we can compete and beat the top teams in the nation. Having that with us during the offseason would build a lot of momentum for next year.”

--- Ehlinger on the difference between last year’s bowl preparation and getting ready for the Sugar Bowl: “I would say there are a lot of things different with this team going into this bowl season than last year. Last year, we had a couple of [juniors] that weren’t going to be playing, so, it was more like we have to buckle down and count on our team. We hadn’t had the best end to our season. We didn’t make it to the Big 12 Championship. We didn’t close out some of the game that we should have. I think the last game of the year was kind of our way of sending the seniors out on a positive note. This year, we’ve done some really good things. We’re a very confident team. We understand that when we play really well, we surprise ourselves. For us, right now, we understand that we have a brilliant opportunity to continue to prove to ourselves that if we play really well, we can compete with these types of teams, where ultimately Texas needs to be.”

--- Ehlinger on this game: “You and I both know there is a ton of hype around the SEC. Always is. Always will be. Alabama has earned a ton of hype because all they do is win, and they have consistently for a couple of years now. I saw a stat that said they [Georgia] were beating [Alabama] in 90-something percent of the snaps, but they lost both competitions. Also, just to see what they’ve done all season to teams, and done well. Watching them play Oklahoma last year, and how fun that game was, a Big 12 vs. SEC game, it’s just a really fun environment. Like all bowl games, just to be able to play a team you’re not used to playing. Obviously, they’re a very great program, but it says something when you don’t play them regularly, and y’all both have good seasons. Georgia is just such an incredible school. Everybody has friends that go there. It’s just going to be a very fun environment. I think we’re all looking forward to it, and we’re all excited to be able to have this opportunity.”

• Like 1

IT team notes

With Rising, and now Casey Thompson as Luigi in the portal as well, it's not yet a done deal that either or both will leave, though smart money would be on one continuing his career elsewhere. 

One rumor on Rising is Oregon. He was always fond of Ducks co-OC Marcus Arroyo. One rumor on Thompson would be to move closer to home (he isn't homesick) but for someone from Oklahoma, options are limited.

(There are a few other guys we're monitoring as potential transfers, though we won't mention their names unless we feel it's a foregone conclusion it's going to come out)

We'll see how this plays out. The timeline has been expedited a bit. Originally they were going to see how the spring went but the advent of the portal means the player has more optionality. It's not as cut and dried as you're either transferring or you're not. There's even the chance one or both could return for bowl practices.

Speaking of which, the team just wrapped up the Austin portion of bowl prep. The team is now off until the 26th to go home for Christmas.

On Saturday they had a very brief scrimmage, where they went over situational football.

I asked how practices have been going. 
"Intensity has been okay. They're hitting the crap out of each other, but there's a difference in getting ready for a bowl and a game that's a few days away. Once they hit the ground in New Orleans there will be more energy."

Last year there were no issues with intensity.
"Missouri talked a lot of s***. Hopefully Georgia does the same [laughs]."

Any interesting developments on the depth chart?
"Ossai has been running first team B-backer. McCulloch does a good job of setting the edge but Ossai is better getting pressure. DeMarvion Overshown has been back at safety."

Overshown back at safety is a surprise. It must stem from having three linebackers arriving in January.
"Probably, but Caleb is showing up with a hurt shoulder and De'Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman have a long way to go. Overshown at safety is odd because Brandon Jones will be back. They have to figure out how to get Overshown on the field. Trust me when I tell you he's too good to be on the bench."

I wonder if the staff is going to eventually re-work the secondary to make Dime the pseudo-base package. Overshown is at boundary because he lacks the coverage skills for field. I've asked about the potential of Sterns at nickel and heard back "I don't think he's physical enough to wrestle with offensive linemen and his ball skills wouldn't be as valuable." 

Sterns hasn't practiced for the bowl yet due to the bone bruise he suffered versus OU, so maybe they're just getting Overshown ready should he be needed for the bowl game, but it feels like they might be up to something else. 

Chris Nelson has also been given a lot of rest which opens the door for Gerald Wilbon and Keondre Coburn. How's Coburn doing? "Fine, he's a freshman with some potential. He'll make a freshman mistake, then make a good play. Just have to get him more consistent."

D'Andre Christmas has also received more work, even at 4i. "He's proving more reliable, it's been good to see. D-line is deep."

I asked about the offensive line. Have they seen any growth with the younger guys?
"Angilau is getting better. He's pretty quick and fights."

Next year will pretty much be Cosmi at LT and Kerstetter at RT?
"I don't see anybody on the roster that will unseat Kerstetter. The young tackles seem to be a year away from being ready to play, much less take anyone's job."

• Like 1

I just pulled the trigger on 3 in section 307.  Club level corner.  $150 per including fees.  I was set on buying club level or high up plaza level.  Corners are fine but didn't want facing the back of the endzone or anywhere in the terrace sections.  Buying 3 instead of 2 or 4 definitely has a premium, a pair in nearby sections would have cost $100 per.  I had my eye on that section the last few days and groups of 3 tickets dropped from $200ish to $175 to $150 today, but supply in groups of 3 also dropped from 18 to 9 to 3 just now.  

I may have been early but it's a weight off my shoulders to have tickets I like.  I think after Christmas some of those $250ish seats in the club level will drop like rocks.  I'm pretty confident I'd be able to have as good of seats or better at a lower price a few days from now but I was tired of checking it all the time.

I just pulled the trigger on 3 in section 307.  Club level corner.  $150 per including fees.  I was set on buying club level or high up plaza level.  Corners are fine but didn't want facing the back of the endzone or anywhere in the terrace sections.  Buying 3 instead of 2 or 4 definitely has a premium, a pair in nearby sections would have cost $100 per.  I had my eye on that section the last few days and groups of 3 tickets dropped from $200ish to $175 to $150 today, but supply in groups of 3 also dropped from 18 to 9 to 3 just now.  
I may have been early but it's a weight off my shoulders to have tickets I like.  I think after Christmas some of those $250ish seats in the club level will drop like rocks.  I'm pretty confident I'd be able to have as good of seats or better at a lower price a few days from now but I was tired of checking it all the time.

Thanks bro. I think I’m gonna keep waiting - at least until tomorrow. We drive out on 12/30 so I’ve got a few more days. We need 3 too down from 5 in 1 or 2 groups.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:53 AM, troph said:

Trying to figure out if the Georgia discount is worth the risk of obnoxiousness. Seems like it’s almost a hundred off per picket now.

I can’t even give mine away in 620. Literally can’t even hand them anyone. My Dad won’t even go with me and he busted my balls after every home game for not taking him. 

Thanks bro. I think I’m gonna keep waiting - at least until tomorrow. We drive out on 12/30 so I’ve got a few more days. We need 3 too down from 5 in 1 or 2 groups.

You’ll find some. I’ve only been frozen out of one sports/concert event in my whole life and that was USA vs MEX in the CONCACAF Gold Cup match in Frisco a couple years ago. This ain’t that.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:25 PM, troph said:

You did the right thing by waiting.  There are groups of 3 in sections 307 now for $95 including fees on stubhub.  Check out sections 304, 305, and 320 too.

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

You did the right thing by waiting.  There are groups of 3 in sections 307 now for $95 including fees on stubhub.  Check out sections 304, 305, and 320 too.

Same sections in Club level now $80 and falling for a group of 3.  $60ish for pairs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

I’m seeing lots of e-delivery too so I’m going to watch tonight. Might pull the trigger tomorrow early or may just keep watching.

With the inventory already out there and without there being a nearby team (ie LSU) in the game meaning 95% of attendees know whether they're going or not already, in addition to tix being edelivery... there's really no reason to buy before the end of the weekend besides peace of mind. These things are gonna be Tx/Mich rose bowl or Tx/tosu fiesta prices by kickoff ($10 get-in price)

Just negged that mouthbreathing fuck on every post. Watching a Georgia fan attempt to show up here with negative stereotypes is sadly comical. They literally just had to cut an ALL SEC baseball player for shouting racial slurs at Justin Fields from the stands. They're racist shitheads to the core, they're johnny-come-latelys on the field, and they're running the dirtiest recruiting program in the nation right now. There's basically not a single redeeming factor about their low IQ existence when it comes to having them cross paths on our boards. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

All of the UPS tickets still left on Stub Hub have to be a no go right? 

I think is the last day for them. Guess it depends when you are leaving whether you can risk getting them in time. I'm leaving Saturday morning so I won't risk but if you are leaving Monday or Tuesday then probably ok.

My daughter (f the rules) wiped out a UGa family of three while tubing with her boyfriend’s family at Steamboat this weekend.  Her tube had spun, so she didn’t even see them, but she was told that they just stood there like deer in the headlights. I asked her if she talked shit about seeing them again in NOLA, but she was more concerned about their crying kid. 

• Like 3

I think is the last day for them. Guess it depends when you are leaving whether you can risk getting them in time. I'm leaving Saturday morning so I won't risk but if you are leaving Monday or Tuesday then probably ok.

Yea I looked today just for fun since I already have mine and delivery said Dec 31st

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My daughter (f the rules) wiped out a UGa family of three while tubing with her boyfriend’s family at Steamboat this weekend.  Her tube had spun, so she didn’t even see them, but she was told that they just stood there like deer in the headlights. I asked her if she talked shit about seeing them again in NOLA, but she was more concerned about their crying kid. 

Pos rep for potentially getting your daughter married off to a family that tubes at Steamboat

20 hours ago, bluto said:

With the inventory already out there and without there being a nearby team (ie LSU) in the game meaning 95% of attendees know whether they're going or not already, in addition to tix being edelivery... there's really no reason to buy before the end of the weekend besides peace of mind. These things are gonna be Tx/Mich rose bowl or Tx/tosu fiesta prices by kickoff ($10 get-in price)

My thoughts exactly.  More tickets at cheaper prices every day.

I’m all in on the wait till the end strategy. Didn’t check today have to work for two days hard — working girl has to shake her money maker to afford taking hungry boys to New Orleans and the sugar bowl - so l’ll buy Friday or Saturday at the earliest. Fuck it, we roll in cheap style with nice tickets or we watch at a hotel bar. I’m confident.

23 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Has anyone been to the Superdome before and have thoughts on best seats for your money?  Any areas to avoid - overhangs, etc.?  I'm thinking sideline seats, but either further up in the 100s or lower down in the 500s or 600s.

To me the fact that it is in a dome takes the experience down 50% to start with.  So never expect a stellar experience in an enclosed arena. 

I was there for a Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago but I had pretty nice club (300s) seats.  I seem to remember an overhang, but as stated, always feel a bit claustrophobic anyway.

Seems to get good reviews on the whole:

https://www.rateyourseats.com/seating-guide/louisiana-superdome-nfl

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

To me the fact that it is in a dome takes the experience down 50% to start with.  So never expect a stellar experience in an enclosed arena. 

I was there for a Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago but I had pretty nice club (300s) seats.  I seem to remember an overhang, but as stated, always feel a bit claustrophobic anyway.

Seems to get good reviews on the whole:

https://www.rateyourseats.com/seating-guide/louisiana-superdome-nfl

My first trip to the Superdome was for Saints/Pats on MNF the year the Saints won the SB. It’s still the loudest game I’ve ever been to. Went back for Saints/Panthers when they were both pretty bad and it was still impressive.